A Spirited Perfect Ten

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'll thinking the DrunkyWay effect (for non-locals Yawkey Way and Landsdowne Street) Completely dwarfs any Disney DrunkyTown story thousands of drunks looking for the next beer, Looks like a scene from the Walking Dead...

Hood Blimp is a good second choice with beer goggles... since it's lighted from inside.
Maybe I'm naive but I've never noticed any obnoxious drinking on Yawkey or Landsdowne. But I tend to enter the stadium pretty early and stay put through the game.

Honestly, who can afford to get drunk at Fenway? That's more expensive than getting drunk at Epcot, and that's saying something.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Maybe I'm naive but I've never noticed any obnoxious drinking on Yawkey or Landsdowne. But I tend to enter the stadium pretty early and stay put through the game.

Honestly, who can afford to get drunk at Fenway? That's more expensive than getting drunk at Epcot, and that's saying something.
The crowd control before and after games around the stadium is superb. However, once you get to the Cask & Flagon all bets are off....

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
What really gets me is the notion that it should rival stuff like Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones Adventure. It's a Fantasyland dark ride. What do you believe Disney was intending to do with Little Mermaid?

Just doing a quick drive by and this post caught my eye. In particular, the part of the post that I didn't delete. Anyhoo, what MK needed was an e-ticket. It still needs an e-ticket. Sure, there's a lot to do there, but the park still feels pretty stale. DHS and DAK need more period and EPCOT needs that whole vision thing. But, MK, hasn't had a bona fide big ride since Splash Mountain opened in the early 90's (too lazy to google the year, but I'm going with fall of 1992.). I think a lot of people sense that NFL/expanded baby circus area wasn't the most efficient way to reinvigorate the park. Thus, the mine train and Ariel's Undersea Adventure will be examined more critically than, perhaps they should.

Cesar R M

Well the Sox won a game, so strange things are a'happenin'.
g33VMdz.jpg

ABQ

The pros arrive at Fenway with a few already in tank and then just top off with the overpriced offerings from within the park.

Cesar R M

The only economic stats that are relevant to the discussion are Orlando tourism numbers. They are up. Way up compared to post 9/11 and 2008. Leaving out the political rhetoric, the economy had recovered for whoever is now visiting Orlando. It's time to make a big splash and invest heavily there.
but..but.. Disney said that Orlando was a mature market! :rolleyes:

TalkingHead

Universal Orlando will have opened Despicable Me, Transformers, Cabana Bay, Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, and Kong (with another hotel and water park under construction) between the time of the Avatar announcement in 2011 and the actual opening in 20??.

In that same period of time, WDW opened the "largest expansion in the history of the Magic Kingdom." :rolleyes:

Rodan75

He's been talking in circles about SHIELD. On one hand he talks about fighting to get it made and then he turns around complaining about how everything would be easier if there wasn't a shared TV and movie universe.

I'm not putting any stock into anything he says after being on a press tour constantly for 6+ weeks. Nearly everyone associated with AoU has had obviously signs of exhaustion over the last few weeks. TWDC and Marvel probably didn't need to wear down these folks so much.

I think a lot of people sense that NFL/expanded baby circus area wasn't the most efficient way to reinvigorate the park. Thus, the mine train and Ariel's Undersea Adventure will be examined more critically than, perhaps they should.

I guess that's understandable. Thanks for explaining the rationale for how ridiculous people sound when saying Mermaid flat out "sucks". Their expectations for that ride were clearly not what Disney was going for. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to to be a fun ride for kids that in a few decades will be lumped with Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Mr Toad and the other "greats". I mean besides the properly fantastic queue/area/atmosphere and everything else that only added to a ride that's just as good as the "classics".

the.dreamfinder

I guess that's understandable. Thanks for explaining the rationale for how ridiculous people sound when saying Mermaid flat out "sucks". Their expectations for that ride were clearly not what Disney was going for. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to to be fun little ride that in a few decades will be lumped with Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Mr Toad and the other "greats". I mean besides the properly fantastic queue/area/atmosphere and everything else that only added to a ride that's just as good as the "classics".
For a ride with a $100 million budget, it sucks.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I got what you were saying the first time. We do get off on tangents about Uni in this thread. Not a whole lot of constructive discussion about WDW these days.

The Flyers need to bring up the young defenseman now. They need more speed on the blue line and can't sign anyone because of the cap. And get Vinny off the 4th line. At least to showcase him so someone might be dumb enough to trade for him and take that contract.

I've had people come to me privately and ask me why this thread is always talking about Universal.

Well they cleared space for them, the only problem is that one super prospect they had was out for most of all last season with a destroyed knee.

I heard Vinnie went to Hextall about Berube. Now Berube is gone. Gotta say, I love Chief but I don't think he was ready for the big Chair. I did like Vinnie with Vandevelde & that other kid. Really speedy line, not a true 4th line.

The cost of the ride shouldn't be relative to your enjoyment of it. I've been on plenty of rides across the globe that do plenty with 1/10 of Disney's budget but it has nothing to do with my assessment of the quality of that ride. It's such a jaded view to judge a ride in terms of how much it cost or what you think the park needs. Honestly, just ride the ride and enjoy it; like the people that Disney actually cares about (families) are doing.

The ride's actual budget (the ride's mind you) was 60 million and came in under (for the first time in forever... haha). Considering what Nemo cost and what Toy Story Mania cost (which really is just an amusement park ride system with a video game attached- done better at 1/3 of the cost in Germany), I'd say they did well with the budget. Again, WDI is NASA- nothing comes cheap or easy.

Rodan75

A great Nathan Rabin article discussing how Avatar never really made a lasting dent on the public consciousness (with links to two other articles that make essentially the same argument).

https://thedissolve.com/features/fo...s-rapid-rise-sudden-downfall-and-endless-bil/

(The rest of the series isn't Disney-related, but an interesting look at pop culture in general--I particularly liked the Billy Jack and Ten entries. A reminder what's hot today might be completely forgotten in 20 years.)

You have got to wonder if Avatar would have had a more lasting impression if it had been marketed and maintained by the current Disney Machine, with cartoons, comics, consumer products. Cameron is obviously trying to go out and do that work on his own, but as DWA has discovered, it is difficult to travel those waters alone.

the.dreamfinder

You have got to wonder if Avatar would have had a more lasting impression if it had been marketed and maintained by the current Disney Machine, with cartoons, comics, consumer products. Cameron is obviously trying to go out and do that work on his own, but as DWA has discovered, it is difficult to travel those waters alone.
Dick Cook tried to get Disney attached to Avatar as a co-producer in 2006 when Fox wasn't sure it could afford to make the film.
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/magazine/content/10_05/b4165048396178.htm#p2
By mid-2006, according to someone involved in the negotiations, Fox was still concerned that making Avatar would cost too much money. "They told us in no uncertain terms that they were passing on this film," Cameron says. Cameron decided the best way forward was to try to persuade another studio to get involved. Walt Disney (DIS) had produced two of the director's 3D underwater documentaries, so Cameron invited Dick Cook, then Disney's studio chief, to watch the clip. "We loved Jim and would have liked to have worked with him," says Cook. "He has an infectious love of 3D that impressed us. Unfortunately, we never got that far." The reason: Fox had the first right of refusal. "We were never going to let this one get away," says Fox Co-Chairman Jim Gianopoulos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom