A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

I have never started a thread before. What I am posting here should be in a thread about the EXPO and the things that will be there this summer (including me). Since this seems to be a catch all for News, Rumors, and in between - I am posting it here.

On Saturday August 15th, Bob Chapek will announce a massive Star Wars "land" and an Avengers area (coaster,restaurant, M&G) for the DLR. I will be there to hear it.

Have a nice day...

*1023*

I don't doubt any of that to be true. The question then is: what if anything will be announced for WDW? Sure, there may be some info on Pandora, Frozen Ever After or Disney Springs, anything else?

If you have new, previously unannounced stuff being promoted for DLR, hopefully there will also be some stuff (Pixar at DHS perhaps?) for WDW too.

V_L_Raptor

I can't help but be suspicious (with a good history for having been right) when newbies join the site in summer, immediately jump into a thread with a huge number of posts and then act as if they have been one of the gang all along. It's sorta like being a plus one at a swanky party where you know no one and you take a chair in the center of the room and begin telling all the fellow guests how you have the answers and that the host should have bought higher quality booze.

Just sorta tacky.

Speaking as (kind of) a newbie, although I registered a few months ago...

I'm not so sure there's an ideal for someone who's coming into a huge thread avoiding setting off any kind of red flag, especially around here. That's not to duck my head in shame because I'm one of the folks that just started speaking up, but I do understand the kind of issues you're describing.

It's just that some (probably not all, I know) of us can't help but start out new sometime. Beyond that, Spirited threads are interesting for what activity they do have. A discussion about LwtL going down for a week and a half might be informative, but it won't roll along like this one does.

Last edited:

pax_65

"Much of the recent innovation in the theme-park industry, experts said, has gone toward retooling it as a playground for the rich and their kids."

So much for a place for everyone.

WDW is not as good as it was 10 years ago and much more expensive. If they made the parks absolutely incredible and charged more, that would be one thing. But the parks are slipping in quality and are full of closed attractions, long lines and mediocre overpriced food.

So they're asking us to pay more and get less.

polynesiangirl

"Much of the recent innovation in the theme-park industry, experts said, has gone toward retooling it as a playground for the rich and their kids."

I agree with and understand where that article's coming from, but it is also kind of surprising to me how many folks apparently used to view WDW as a place that just about anyone could afford to go. I grew up solidly middle/upper middle class and when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, no one I knew thought of it that way. Most of my friends' families could not afford to go or certainly could not afford to go multiple times. None of my friends who had more than one or two siblings got to go. It was considered by most kids I knew to be something you got to do once if you were lucky. We lived a two-day drive away from WDW so just getting there, by car or plane, was expensive for a family of four or more.

I distinctly recall many parents saying things about how Disney was outrageously expensive when I was a kid, my own parents included. It never had a reputation as an affordable vacation choice in our community. I was very fortunate that I eventually went many times when I was a kid, but my experience was not at all the norm.

I do agree that the pricing has gone to a new, insane place lately though. My eyes about popped out of my head last time I saw the rack rates on the resorts.

Cesar R M

Did you see the news on the Jurassic World website? The park's in panic. People fleeing everywhere on the Park Cams. Looks like guests are gonna come crawling back to WDW. After all, it's not like when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates eat the tourists.

http://www.jurassicworld.com/
thats one hell of a well designed website!

You know whats hilarious?
When mock sites are better than REAL Company websites.

Cesar R M

The audience I saw the film with completely ate it up. Very enthusiastic response. There seems to be a weird disconnect between critics and the audience with this film. As if saying "it's not as good as the original" is somehow damning criticism.

Nobody in that theatre thought it would eclipse the first. That's an impossible task, as the first film was an absolute Hollywood game changer. This is easily the best of any of the sequels, by a large margin.
Considering the first was one of Spielberg's masterpieces.. no surprise.
Still, everyone says its better than JP 2 and the awful JP3. So I'm sold on that.

Cesar R M

I would've seen it opening day, but I've got a plan:

June 16th, 12:00 pm- watch Nintendo's E3 presentation at the Nintendo World Store. I could watch it online, but being so close right now, why not? ;)

3:30 pm- Jurassic World at Lincoln Center IMAX. One of the best in the country.

And finally, a brand new addition to the itinerary just today:

7:00 pm- early showing of Inside Out with bonus content ;)
bonus content?
advances for Zootopia or Good dinosaur?

Cesar R M

I think some of the posters attitudes is simply a reflection of how you sometimes treat people here. I completely understand that you might feel like you are being attacked - and a few have - but most are simply asking questions - like myself - for some further clarity on an issue, and an answer of - my record speaks for itself, so you have to believe me, doesn't always sit well with some people. Sorry, but you frequently come off as brash and arrogant when you post here. Certainly doesn't mean you are like that in real life, but people can't see your expressions when you type.
Well, if you read how abusive certain members are with @WDW1974 (aka clear personal vendettas, like this peter dude).
The attitude of wdw1974 sometimes is warranted.. noone has unlimited patience.

There are some guys who seem to just follow him to insult him. (see Twitter)

Cesar R M

It's all in continuity, but the movie itself doesn't dwell that much on the events of Sorna at all. Side materials like the Masrani Corp website get into a little more detail, but basically,
they took over InGen after the events of Lost World and Hoskins got his security chief job from taking care of the escaped pteranodons from the end of 3.
so bad Lord Attenborought died. Can you imagine if he had done a cameo Stan Lee style?

The problem and the heart of Disney is that everyone takes the place way to personally when we must understand, for our own mental health, that, in the words of the Godfather, it is strictly business, not personal.
so.. should we expect to get hoffed if we do not accept "An offer they couldn't refuse"? like "SURGE" pricing?

Ariel1986

I know Jurassic Park is off topic so I won't post anything else about it apart from to say (and its Disney related)...

I'm suprised no-ones mentioned the little nod to magic bands with the "Jurassic Park wrist bands"- as they are mentioned once or twice as well as being on park goers arms- and especially at the beginning when the aunt's PA is briefly seen getting them out of the familiar looking box and looking at them!
Oh, and I also thought the film was awesome!

Last edited:

seascape

I agree with and understand where that article's coming from, but it is also kind of surprising to me how many folks apparently used to view WDW as a place that just about anyone could afford to go. I grew up solidly middle/upper middle class and when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, no one I knew thought of it that way. Most of my friends' families could not afford to go or certainly could not afford to go multiple times. None of my friends who had more than one or two siblings got to go. It was considered by most kids I knew to be something you got to do once if you were lucky. We lived a two-day drive away from WDW so just getting there, by car or plane, was expensive for a family of four or more.

I distinctly recall many parents saying things about how Disney was outrageously expensive when I was a kid, my own parents included. It never had a reputation as an affordable vacation choice in our community. I was very fortunate that I eventually went many times when I was a kid, but my experience was not at all the norm.

I do agree that the pricing has gone to a new, insane place lately though. My eyes about popped out of my head last time I saw the rack rates on the resorts.
The pricing may be insane but if the ticket prices were lower the crowds would be worse than they are. So many people post here about problems with over crowded parks. How large would the crowds be if the ticket prices were $50.00 a day and not starting at $100.00? Disney, no matter what some people think, has always been a place for the upper middle class and not the middle class. My parents could not afford to take my sisters, brother and I and we lived in a well off town at the Jersey Shore. My parents worked hard and did everything they could for us when we grew up but going to Disney was out of their range and only a few of my friends went to Disney World. Today millions of middle class parents take their kids on their once in a lifetime trip and many others are lucky and because of DVC and other timeshares get to go annually. What is the problem with the way it is today? Too many people in the parks and long lines? One last thing, I only had one friend who went to both WDW and Disneyland. He was an only child and his father was a United Airlines Pilot, so they could fly for free.

BTW Universal has just about the same pricing for the first three days. Their longer passes and annual passes are less than Disney's but I predict that will change. When Universal finishes their 15,000 rooms and can fill their parks with vacationers they will raise their prices to Disney levels for annual passes and more days. Be careful for what you want because you will get it an pay the price for it.

hopemax

And now we'll get to see how well that "plays." Playground for the rich, but look in the shops or at the restaurant menus. Made in China, available back home toys, clothing of questionable quality. I'd love to have a really nice dinner at Coral reef, but seafood choices of salmon, trout or mahi? The pricing is for the rich, but it doesn't seem like much else is. Does anyone remember how the Art of Disney at the Marketplace used to look in the 90's...the building is same as it every was (which at this point looks terrible) but it's far less interesting. We used to spend quite a bit on ornaments and other Christmas stuff, but even that is $20 for something with a horrible mold and paint job.

mahnamahna101

Behind the scenes stuff and live Q&A.

Well Avatar is an addition of two rides (that we've been waiting since 2011 for) but Frostrom is definitely not "new" or "better," lol.
Knowing Disney, they'll include the RoL show, the nighttime safari, Harambe, and the new shop up front as part of the DAK expansion, too.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, if you read how abusive certain members are with @WDW1974 (aka clear personal vendettas, like this peter dude).
The attitude of wdw1974 sometimes is warranted.. noone has unlimited patience.

There are some guys who seem to just follow him to insult him. (see Twitter)
But don't you think that part of it is a reflection of how he treats certain people here? I agree that no one should be attacked, but he has done so as well, sometimes without any provocation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom