A Spirited Perfect Ten

the.dreamfinder

Annie Lebowitz is nowhere near as gritty as you think. She's a concept photographer (and does a good job at that) but isnt gritty.

You want gritty? Give me 4 prophotos on grids shining in on the character while I've got a ringflash poping just a little fill in, with a smoke machine in the background lit by a red from the side... Thats gritty.
I'm not saying Annie's work is gritty or bad, but that Disney's live action strategy seems to be making movie versions of her Disney Parks photos. Add to that the misplaced obsession in Hollywood with making properties 'dark and gritty' and we have a studio that doesn't understand how to make films within the context of a BRAND they see as a bad thing.

Last edited:

GLaDOS

Wouldn't an Industrial Gothic nightclub have an age limit? They can't keep out the lifestylers (unfortunately), but one would hope they could keep kids out of a nightclub...

Until it doesn't meet expectations, they take down the gates, mommy complains her snowflake saw someone take a drink, and Disney uses it as an excuse to close something cool to re-purpose the space...

The circle of (Downtown Disney) life.

alphac2005

Disney has done a 180 since the days of Eisner's "singles and doubles" Strategy. They made a GIANT profit back then and didnt risk everything on a "franchise."

Annie Lebowitz is nowhere near as gritty as you think. She's a concept photographer (and does a good job at that) but isnt gritty.

You want gritty? Give me 4 prophotos on grids shining in on the character while I've got a ringflash poping just a little fill in, with a smoke machine in the background lit by a red from the side... Thats gritty.

It's funny that you mention her. When I saw several years back that she was bankrupt, I wasn't surprised. She needed some items that our company stocks for a photo shoot and my goodness, her Purchasing Manager was one of the most inept and moronic people I have dealt with in nearly 20 years of business.

the.dreamfinder

I'm confused how Disney gained such high revenue for 2004 when I can't remember any film in that fiscal year, other than The Incredibles, being a major hit.

http://www.disneymovieslist.com/year-disney-movies.asp?disyear=2004

Around the World in Eighty Days and Home on the Range both flopped and were bigger budget films, did DVD sales bump up their numbers that much? Because how did they come away with that much revenue?
We're talking about the entire studio, not just the Walt Disney Pictures label.

BrianLo

It's hard to be able to afford write downs, or those very expensive deals to get the rights to "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3", when you don't have the cushion a strong, diverse back catalogue can provide.

I know this wasn't your point, but accusing Disney of lacking a 'strong, diverse back catalogue' is definitely a new one. Disney are the Scroog McDuck of IP.

As long as Pixar and WDAS are continued to be allowed to do their thing (despite occasional sequels), I'm not worried. Creating IP via live action has never been Disney's strong suit.

PhotoDave219

I'm not saying Annie's work is gritty or bad, but that Disney's live action strategy seems to be awfully similar to movie versions of her Disney Parks photos. Add to that the misplaced obsession in Hollywood with making properties 'dark and gritty' and we have a studio that doesn't understand how to make films within the context of a BRAND they see as a bad thing.

Ahhhh.... so they're becoming stale and formulaic? Ohhhh yes.

AEfx

Add to that the misplaced obsession in Hollywood with making properties 'dark and gritty' and we have a studio that doesn't understand how to make films within the context of a BRAND they see as a bad thing.

The BRAND seems to be selling very well. (Gee, that capitalizing of that word is catching...)

If by BRAND you mean "the product produced by a studio".

You seem to see Disney as totally isolated from the rest of the film business. I mean, no one complains that Warners or Universal is releasing a film that isn't part of their "BRAND". The BRAND of a movie studio in 2015 is "making good and profitable films". We are past the day of MGM doing the musical extravaganzas, and Warners does the gritty noir, Disney makes children's product, etc.

It sounds like you cannot separate the Disney BRAND from the releases from the Disney CORPRORATION.

The Disney BRAND is as strong as it always was, Frozen proves that, if we want to just talk numbers. It does not harm their BRAND to offer films under other labels (Lucasfilm, Marvel) any more than Touchstone, etc. did.

The general public doesn't really care that Marvel Studios is owned by the Disney corporation. Same with Lucasfilm, we'll soon see. They don't even think about it generally, and those that do don't care - haven't Lucasfilm attractions been in Disney parks (Disneyland, the mother of all Disney parks, for that matter) for thirty years? Only Super Lifetsylers and those who want to find an abstract way to deflect the true successes that the WDC is having because it doesn't fit the Darth Iger narrative.

If Darth Iger wasn't growing the business to compete with every other studio, the same folks would be complaining that he wasn't taking the company in new directions and expanding their reach.

AEfx

The lifestylers are riding in strollers now too?

;)

I think we call them Scooters. ;)

BTW, anyone seen that viral video of the two women fighting in the Wal-mart shampoo aisle? The woman in the scooter is mad she can't get past, so she jumps up and starts a physical fight with someone - as someone just pointed out on The Talk - that was the real story, that she was in a scooter the jumped up and started fighting for several minutes like she was "Captain America" LOL.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The thing is...are people ready for when Comcast sits back and stops adding stuff to Universal parks? It will happen. Investors will eventually demand less spending. I'm just wondering when that happens? It better be before Cable as we know it now dies...or Comcast is in trouble.

Comcast does not NEED conventional cable, They are currently one of the largest ISP's in the country right now, I worry more about Disney when Cable finally goes belly up as they have content only not distribution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom