A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

I'm sorry you are missing out on El Toro, probably one of the best rides not only in the park but potentially in the USA. At least Nitro is always running :)
Nitro was great. Everything else I've been on though is no where close to anything in Orlando. Not doing Batman, Superman, etc. since I don't even do Hulk. Also, how do you have a Safari ride with only one truck going around? Smh.

burgess

I would suggest that big celebrations for anniversaries has been a Disney thing. I could still have argued for a 25th celebration (even just for summer) at UNI, but I get why they didn't. They don't play on the past, that's a Disney strength.

But when you see the effort Disney is putting into Anaheim's 60th, it does make you wonder why WDW has been ignoring anniversaries since the never-ending 25th. Yes, they did 10O Years of Walt instead of a 30th. But have since ignored the 35th and 40th, as well as EPCOT's 25th (the one that should have been big) and 30th and DAK's 10th.

No, they won't ignore the 50th. I know that for a fact. But the 45th next year? Some pins, vinyls and cupcakes unless they add the Wishes replacement. Even if so, I don't see a 45th marketing celebration.

In Tokyo Disneyland last year, we saw "31st Anniversary" merchandise.

wishiwere@wdw

Nitro was great. Everything else I've been on though is no where close to anything in Orlando. Not doing Batman, Superman, etc. since I don't even do Hulk. Also, how do you have a Safari ride with only one truck going around? Smh.
Which is a shame because the safari is actually really good. It's a shame they used those type of trucks. It's tough to find drivers... That said, be sure to take a ride on the sky ride as its from the 64 worlds fair (trying for Disney tie-in).

AEfx

Wait... Disney calls them franchises? I'm pretty sure successfull films and books were considered a franchise outside of disney.

And folks seem to insulate Disney in an odd way in this discussion from how the rest of the entertainment community has progressed.

The irony is, Disney is among the originators of the "Franchise" mentality, they have always been at the forefront of it - "Watch the movie, eat the themed Happy Meal, go to the store and buy the merchandise, read the bedtime story book, watch the Sing-A-Long video, tune in to the spin-off TV show..."

This type of thing was generally reserved for children's product, and Disney has been doing it since before many us were born. Over time the entire industry has moved applying this to live action, to broaden past the "under 10" set.

That's why Marvel/Lucasfilm were such smart purchases - because Disney already had this down pat for animated properties, they just didn't have enough homegrown IP to do it. They had Pirates and....(crickets). But what they are doing with them is not really different than what Disney has always done - they are just updating it for a modern age and a product that isn't just aimed at the "under 10 set".

If folks think the idea of franchises is objectionable, that's fine - but can't pretend that Disney didn't help invent the concept to begin with, and has done business this way for many decades, they are just being much more successful at it than ever right now. Or that every other studio isn't jealous as heck that these properties are with Disney.

It also completely ignores how the general public has perceived the Walt Disney Company for the past thirty, forty years. I think folks are just starting to see that the abstract things they think Disney are suddenly "losing" under Darth Iger were lost in the public perception of Disney long ago. To the average person, Disney has been about the crass commercialization of art - the very definition of the concept.

That's what is refreshing now, is that Disney is no longer "Disneyfying" everything and is applying the skills they have to fare that isn't primarily intended for a third-grade and under audience.

Mike S

Which is a shame because the safari is actually really good. It's a shame they used those type of trucks. It's tough to find drivers... That said, be sure to take a ride on the sky ride as its from the 64 worlds fair (trying for Disney tie-in).
Gonna correct myself and say there's more than one truck. The person in line was wrong.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Sorry to beat a dead horse (that never happens on WDWMagic ;) ) but I just saw Tomorrowland is now at $169 million globally so far, with an opening this past weekend in Japan. At this rate, it could make its budget back before Blu-Ray/DVD/Online sales possibly.

Are we seeing yet again where domestic sales are not important anymore even though they're reported as being the only factor in the success or failure of a movie?

Now I realize that this is still considered a "flop" by any standard if it can't make its budget back, but part of that could also be the headlines about how terrible it did on opening weekend.

the.dreamfinder

What unit is the y-axis in? Billions?
Millions
It's not necessarily "better" to be releasing more films or having greater revenues, which is what your chart and commentary suggests.

At a minimum, having a chart indicating the film profits would be more meaningful. Or at least revenue per film. Otherwise, why not just directly chide Disney for not making more films per year if that is your concern?
The point of the chart is to show how Iger's tentpole mandate has decreased the studios' revenues. The Studio Entertainment numbers reflect not just the theatrical box office numbers, but the entire pay window structure. When a studio like Disney chooses to release fewer, higher budget films, they make less overall as you go down from theatrical to home video to pay-TV to cable and so on because there is less product to sell. The long term consequence of this being you have fewer films in your back catalogue. It's hard to be able to afford write downs, or those very expensive deals to get the rights to "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3", when you don't have the cushion a strong, diverse back catalogue can provide. In reposting this chart, I want to show how the long term effects of the weatherman's decisions have hurt the studios and how the numbers are presented and spun to the press in such a way as to hide this.

the.dreamfinder

Sorry to beat a dead horse (that never happens on WDWMagic ;) ) but I just saw Tomorrowland is now at $169 million globally so far, with an opening this past weekend in Japan. At this rate, it could make its budget back before Blu-Ray/DVD/Online sales possibly.

Are we seeing yet again where domestic sales are not important anymore even though they're reported as being the only factor in the success or failure of a movie?

Now I realize that this is still considered a "flop" by any standard if it can't make its budget back, but part of that could also be the headlines about how terrible it did on opening weekend.
The studios only keep half, or less depending on the territory, of the box office. Once the likely $100 million plus marketing campaign has been accounted for, this film will be a write down.
Sadly, the studio will learn to wrong lessons as they compare "Tomorrowland" to "Maleficent" and avoid making live action films that don't fit directly into their Annie Lebowitz gritty reboot state of mind.

AEfx

The point of the chart is to show how Iger's tentpole mandate has decreased the studios' revenues. The Studio Entertainment numbers reflect not just the theatrical box office numbers, but the entire pay window structure.

1) How does this differ from any other studio in the feature film business?

2) Will you come back and run those same numbers once the profits from Lucasfilm start rolling in?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The studios only keep half, or less depending on the territory, of the box office. Once the likely $100 million plus marketing campaign has been accounted for, this film will be a write down.
Sadly, the studio will learn to wrong lessons as they compare "Tomorrowland" to "Maleficent" and avoid making live action films that don't fit directly into their Annie Lebowitz gritty reboot state of mind.

Ah ok, now that makes sense

Mike S

Gotta say I really enjoyed the safari. Bison, Lions, Tigers, Bears, and even Kangaroos (and more). Doesn't touch the theming of Kilamanjaro but animal wise it's pretty great.

PhotoDave219

Disney has done a 180 since the days of Eisner's "singles and doubles" Strategy. They made a GIANT profit back then and didnt risk everything on a "franchise."

Annie Lebowitz is nowhere near as gritty as you think. She's a concept photographer (and does a good job at that) but isnt gritty.

You want gritty? Give me 4 prophotos on grids shining in on the character while I've got a ringflash poping just a little fill in, with a smoke machine in the background lit by a red from the side... Thats gritty.

OSUgirl77

Details on the Edison out. "Industrial Gothic" nightclub. In the middle of Disney Springs.

Really. Just think on that. A hipster bar populated with children in strollers and ... lifestylers.
Wouldn't an Industrial Gothic nightclub have an age limit? They can't keep out the lifestylers (unfortunately), but one would hope they could keep kids out of a nightclub...

alphac2005

Indeed, but not for the purpose of customer advertisement. It's for the purpose of identifying that the napkin was purchased from the authorized McDonald's supply chain as required by the franchise contract.
Ahhhh... So nice to hear someone that knows things. :) It still adds to the cost over a straight-up plain napkin and that conversation can go in a whole other direction with the multitude of issues that McD's corporate is dealing with.

spacemt354

Chili's
Millions

The point of the chart is to show how Iger's tentpole mandate has decreased the studios' revenues. The Studio Entertainment numbers reflect not just the theatrical box office numbers, but the entire pay window structure. When a studio like Disney chooses to release fewer, higher budget films, they make less overall as you go down from theatrical to home video to pay-TV to cable and so on because there is less product to sell. The long term consequence of this being you have fewer films in your back catalogue. It's hard to be able to afford write downs, or those very expensive deals to get the rights to "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3", when you don't have the cushion a strong, diverse back catalogue can provide. In reposting this chart, I want to show how the long term effects of the weatherman's decisions have hurt the studios and how the numbers are presented and spun to the press in such a way as to hide this.
I'm confused how Disney gained such high revenue for 2004 when I can't remember any film in that fiscal year, other than The Incredibles, being a major hit.

http://www.disneymovieslist.com/year-disney-movies.asp?disyear=2004

Around the World in Eighty Days and Home on the Range both flopped and were bigger budget films, did DVD sales bump up their numbers that much? Because how did they come away with that much revenue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom