A Spirited Perfect Ten

StageFrenzy

Oh, I won't point out that this announcement could have been likely made when Bob and Tom were in Shanghai, yet instead comes two weeks later in a press release.

AT least the food sounds interesting, beyond the Cheesecake Factory, which is still a decent place for an Americanized meal.

There's one at Mall at Millenia. I was there eating with a date once and in walked Gov. Voldemort. Good location but a pain to get into.

I'm not a fan of Cheesecake Factory, I'm a big fan of quality over quantity, the menu is overly complicated and filled with bloat much like some of the patrons. That being said I actually don't mind the cheesecake.

AEfx

That certainly seems to be the direction we're heading in, especially if Disney is not going to be able to court new corporate sponsors to update Future World.

Honestly, I'm really surprised they have been able to retain any. If you notice, the majority that are left have some other business relationship with Disney and this is just a part of it.

When you think about it, the notion is completely absurd. Why in heck does a major corporation with record profits like Disney need someone to sponsor their rides. This ain't the World's Fair, LOL.

In the early days it was easy because Epcot had cache, it was seen as prestigious and forward-looking to be a part of. As we know, those days have long, long since passed.

I'm also sure that the companies involved don't really end up with much benefit over it, either - I mean, dumb as folks are, will they really change their preferred brand or model of a major purchase like a $20,000++ vehicle because of Test Track? (I always laugh because it seemingly breaks down so often when I'm in line - what stellar advertising!) Are you going to stop drinking Pepsi when you get home just because Disney only allows Coke (if anything, it makes me appreciate Pepsi all the more, as a Diet Pepsi drinker). Are you going to stop buying your preferred brand of film...oh wait a minute, no one buys film anymore, well, in any case, you get my drift.

It's like when billionaires run for office and then beg for donations...if you don't believe in your campaign enough to pay for it, I'm sure as heck not going to give you $100 of my money when you can afford to wipe your behind with it.

Disney doesn't reinvest in Future World because it serves it's purpose - it is just enough to get folks to see value in spending part of a day there since they paid for their pass anyway. It also gives folks something to do on their way to or from the epic-sized shopping mall/food court on the other side, where they make their real money on merchandise and food, that ranges from overpriced-even-for-Disney to obscenely almost criminally overpriced. Oh, and of course the biggest profit in all of Epcot - and probably WDW - on alcohol, which as anyone can tell you is what keeps most food establishments who serve it in business anywhere, much less a relatively dry place like WDW.

ItlngrlBella

I'm not a fan of Cheesecake Factory, I'm a big fan of quality over quantity, the menu is overly complicated and filled with bloat much like some of the patrons. That being said I actually don't mind the cheesecake.

I like everything but the cheesecake. The artichoke appetizer or the Asian lettuce wraps are usually one of my go -to's for dinner and no dessert for me - it's just too much. The one in Schaumburg Il by Woodfield Mall was always a stop for my colleague and I when we were in that area on business.

ItlngrlBella

Gonna butt in and say a better fit for Disney Springs would be Cheesecake's sister restaurant, Grand Lux Cafe. Think cheesecake but nicer, and there's a more limited number of them, which would make it even more unique.

H3££ YES. I used to go to an annual 3 day conference run by ACT at the Marriott on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. Our meals "on-own" were there. Awesome food - I felt it was a little classier (maybe because of this one's location), and very good prices.

AEfx

I wasn't asking if the test story itself is true, but if that reasoning now being given is true.

You'll have to look...honestly I can't remember, things have been flying around here so recently - I know I read someone say that in the past week or two on this board. I think it was a joke but for some nagging reason I feel like someone said they were told that at a one of those "convos with an Imagineer" things. So in any case, it's either a joke or an unsubstantiated rumor (like any posting) - it's just such a funny thought though because you are right - it could go in either direction, haha.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, I'm really surprised they have been able to retain any. If you notice, the majority that are left have some other business relationship with Disney and this is just a part of it.

When you think about it, the notion is completely absurd. Why in heck does a major corporation with record profits like Disney need someone to sponsor their rides. This ain't the World's Fair, LOL.

In the early days it was easy because Epcot had cache, it was seen as prestigious and forward-looking to be a part of. As we know, those days have long, long since passed.

I'm also sure that the companies involved don't really end up with much benefit over it, either - I mean, dumb as folks are, will they really change their preferred brand or model of a major purchase like a $20,000++ vehicle because of Test Track? (I always laugh because it seemingly breaks down so often when I'm in line - what stellar advertising!) Are you going to stop drinking Pepsi when you get home just because Disney only allows Coke (if anything, it makes me appreciate Pepsi all the more, as a Diet Pepsi drinker). Are you going to stop buying your preferred brand of film...oh wait a minute, no one buys film anymore, well, in any case, you get my drift.

You think its a dead concept... Yet naming and sponsor rights for things like stadiums and events continue to go up. And teams in the nfl dont 'need' the sponsor... But they know they can monetize it

AEfx

You think its a dead concept... Yet naming and sponsor rights for things like stadiums and events continue to go up. And teams in the nfl dont 'need' the sponsor... But they know they can monetize it

What part of my post made you think I was speaking about anything but WDW?

Of course sponsorship hasn't gone anywhere in general, that's how much of the world runs. However, the entire notion of a theme park at a resort where guests pay thousands of dollars to go needing a "sponsor" for an attraction is ludicrous.

As I said, they used to do it because Epcot was seen as some partnership with the future - but given that the future is no longer what it looked like in 1982, and yet Epcot, particularly Future World, pretty much still looks like the 1990's from the 1980's perspective - I can't see how most companies would want to spend tens of millions of dollars just to be associated with it.

Stitchon

Gonna butt in and say a better fit for Disney Springs would be Cheesecake's sister restaurant, Grand Lux Cafe. Think cheesecake but nicer, and there's a more limited number of them, which would make it even more unique.

Unfortunately, the Grand Lux seems to be on its way out. They haven't opened any in quite some time and have been actively closing locations.

Cesar R M

Respect is given to all until lost. It is not earned. Keeping it is earned. That is the problem today. People feel they do not have to treat others with respect until they earn it. That is wrong. Common courtesy applies the same face to face or online. The browser should not empower you to be rude or otherwise discourteous.
lets agree to disagree.

Cesar R M

Wasn't the entire gimmick of the Shanghai Disneyland layout that it won't have a Main Street/Central retail corridor, and will instead have a wide, mostly-open space in front of the castle dotted with trees, gardens, ponds, and picnic areas?

It seems as though it's been designed to have more castle fireworks/projection viewing area than any Disneyland before it.

about-shanghai-disneyland-hero1-580x326.jpg
well, it certainly looks like a mixture of the worldshowcase and the new MK's hub.

Cesar R M

I'm not surprised.
There's an amusing, somewhat sad, and not at all safe for work video on Youtube where Triumph the Insult Comic Dog hangs out with these people.
I still prefer the video of the road rage in europe (russia?) where a guy cuts down a van full of characters and they all mob the scammer!

I think @Mike S posted the video a few months ago :hilarious:

hell, I'm laughing right now just remembering it!

flynnibus

Premium Member
What part of my post made you think I was speaking about anything but WDW?

Of course sponsorship hasn't gone anywhere in general, that's how much of the world runs. However, the entire notion of a theme park at a resort where guests pay thousands of dollars to go needing a "sponsor" for an attraction is ludicrous.

Because it was for the same damn thing. The 'association ' is just how Disney could demand a premium because the of the exclusivity of such a unique opportunity. At the end of the day they were selling exposures... Same as a stadium naming deal. Which is very much alive... Theme parks aren't much different. What is different is there is a lot more competition diluting the value and exclusivity that once existed.

Marriedatdisney

I'm a CTO and I see this a fair amount. I do actually have a few people thru the program but ONLY because I literally can't find people to fill the roles. That's the way the program was supposed to work but it gets abused.

Offshoring is still rampant at companies where IT leaders are rewarded for cost structures and not outcomes. I remember being pushed on hourly rates by the financial and procurement teams to go off shore even when I showed documented examples of productivity way higher by co locating teams that didn't have language barriers.

Weak IT leaders are largely to blame......the argument can be won, but many lack the business credibility to push back and win.

Kman101

Okay. So?

I'm days behind like always but why are you advocating stagnation? The facts are staring you in the face. I'm not sure I get your stance.

Yes, Disney is a business. I think we *all* get that. No one is arguing they aren't doing well financially. That's what makes their lack of investment appalling to most of us.

It comes off like you want to argue the opposite point just to argue the opposite point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom