A Spirited Perfect Ten

asianway

If I saw someone taking up valuable table space in a crowded QS location so they could eat bagged lunches I'd be ****ed.

It's hard enough for paying customers to find seating.
I see the phony food allergy card was played. That one always gets thrown down when the discussion of Cheap Skates bringing their own food in comes up. Hope dynamic pricing does start-it will get the riff raff out

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Tigger1988

I see the phony food allergy card was played. That one always gets thrown down when the discussion of Cheap Skates bringing their own food in comes up. Hope dynamic pricing does start-it will get the riff raff out
It's funny, a coworker of mine went to WDW 2 weeks ago. Currently under medical advice to not eat anything with gluten or dairy. They didn't make a fuss, just mentioned it to their waiter/hostess before ordering. Disney went above and beyond to accommodate her with no issues. So I find it hard to believe there's any food allergy they can't handle.

asianway

It's funny, a coworker of mine went to WDW 2 weeks ago. Currently under medical advice to not eat anything with gluten or dairy. They didn't make a fuss, just mentioned it to their waiter/hostess before ordering. Disney went above and beyond to accommodate her with no issues. So I find it hard to believe there's any food allergy they can't handle.
Nothing looks more low class than pulling sandwiches and cans of soda out of a backpack in a QS for paying customers. They invested in soda theft but they can't simply make security not allow outside food in? DL can do it why not WDW?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nothing looks more low class than pulling sandwiches and cans of soda out of a backpack in a QS for paying customers. They invested in soda theft but they can't simply make security not allow outside food in? DL can do it why not WDW?

UNI can do it but unlike Disney you can get free water for your waterbottle from any of the freestyle machines, Yes Disney does provide free water but you have to stand in line at QS to get it.

OSUgirl77

Hey, serious question, do you think the Internet has made people (at least Americans) dumber?
I don't think the Internet has made Americans dumber, society and our dumbed down education system have done that. It does, however, help to perpetuate the stupidity by giving it a voice. People have access to all sorts of incorrect information and insane opinions, but no longer possess the critical thinking skills necessary to question what they are reading. Kids who have been told the world revolves around them since they were born now have a place to post photos of themselves 24/7, thinking the world actually cares about what they're doing. The Internet didn't create idiocy and narcissism, but it certainly isn't helping to stop the spread of either.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes that IS the law not as it's currently implemented 'We can't find anyone to do work which is worth 6 figures for 15/hour with no benefits so let's bring in workers from around the world who will do that'
Arent the visas that are granted to outsource companies limited? Im sure there are plenty of companies willing to pay some lobbyists to see it increase though.

OSUgirl77

More Disney IT outsourcing backlash.

Where will this go? Probably nowhere.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-visas-nelson-20150605-story.html

Not so sure - This one has legs simply because it's DISNEY and it seems to have captured the public's attention, Especially in light of the labor force participation numbers it's a bit hard to believe that there are no workers in the US qualified to do the work.
Unfortunately, this isn't that uncommon anymore. My very large and well-known former employer did the same thing, only some of my coworkers had to actually travel to India to train their replacements. Others were brought to the U.S. I didn't have to train anyone, but my last job is now being performed by 2 people, one in Guatemala and one in India. It's horrible and I don't agree with it, but you can't just single out Disney, unfortunately.

Edit: I do realize that the situation with my employer was different in that the jobs were sent overseas. However, it is still wrong to force soon to be laid off employees to train their replacements.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unfortunately, this isn't that uncommon anymore. My very large and well-known former employer did the same thing, only some of my coworkers had to actually travel to India to train their replacements. Others were brought to the U.S. I didn't have to train anyone, but my last job is now being performed by 2 people, one in Guatemala and one in India. It's horrible and I don't agree with it, but you can't just single out Disney, unfortunately.

Edit: I do realize that the situation with my employer was different in that the jobs were sent overseas. However, it is still wrong to force soon to be laid off employees to train their replacements.

And that's why this has legs, Disney may have been the tipping point along with a similar incident with PG&E in CA.

H1B was intended to bring in highly skilled people (think PhD's) on a temporary basis, It was not intended to allow body shops to perform wholesale workforce replacements with low paid low skilled workers which is the primary application it's being used for today.

Phil12

People here (and largely in the real world) have an amazing lack of knowledge and sophistication about how media and journalism work in 21st century America. And when you try and explain it, they all think they know more because they read something somewhere or because of something they believe as a basic tenet of their own lives simply isn't true.

On March 10, 2015 you posted:
I don't see her getting fired outright. Bob would never allow for a black eye like that, which would then have all sorts of reporters (many who seem outright AFRAID to go after this story, while agreeing that just on the face of it, it looks bad) asking questions.

No, much more likely that she agrees to, in a relatively short period of time (week or months at the most), step down because she needs to spend more time with family. For all we know, that could already be in the works. Maybe that's why Mr. Snyder hasn't commented to my knowledge.

No one wanted her there beyond the folks who do fundraising. They are not being altruistic or noble by trying to use this situation to remove her. They are taking advantage of an easy situation. I'd do the same thing!

That is clearly not an example of having "knowledge about how media and journalism work in 21st century America". It is rather pure speculation and wishful thinking on your part. Almost three months have passed and yet Willow Bay is still the director of the USC Annenberg School of Journalism. And the "story" of which you speak seems to have started and ended on a Disney message board. Yet you still contend that it is all fact without providing even a shred of corroborative evidence. Clearly guesswork, speculation and wishful thinking are valid surrogates for evidence in your version of how this incident should be reported.

And contrary to what some people would have you believe, the article in question is still available: http://www.msn.com/en-sg/money/other/disney-ceo-fumbles-entry-to-china/ar-BBhJ56W?srcref=rss

Last edited:

The Tuna

But it hasn't always been that way. If Epcot had at least maintained the quality we saw in the 90's, there would certainly be nostalgia-driven guests there too. But basically it's been dumbed down to a mere shadow of what it was in the glory days, and it pains me and many others to visit there now.
I can't say I agree. Characters are what the one timers go to see and EPCOT isn't exactly known for that. For people like us here on the forums or those that go more than a few times I can see that reasoning, but we are the 1 per centers in reality.

rael ramone

Well eventually all that fat ESPN profits will dry up some as the production and rights for all these games add up.

(Tho actual major props for ESPN & Steve Levy for their FIFA coverage of late. And hiring my english class buddy.)

And/or 'Cable a la carte' happens and a lot of people decide they don't want to pay big bucks for ESPN...

Bairstow

Yes if you use a bottle and some halazone tablets to purify the water before drinking it, The fountains at WDW esp the MK are NASTY.

Some are better than others, though.
The one in the little alcove between Casey's Corner and the Crystal Palace is actually quite nice, and very cold.

As a non American I didn't bother with HoP for years. Finally decided to go in a couple trips back and loved it. great attraction indeed. May have to check out the American Adventure this time as well as I can't remember ever going in to see it in all my visits.

Wow, really!? You should!
The American Adventure is great.
It doesn't get a lot of attention because of its age and subject matter, but it's still probably the pinnacle of audio animatronics as an artform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom