A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

First of all, real analysts saw the problems for what they were and didn't have survey massage therapists telling them how brilliant they were.

The leadership team we have now were the brain child of Eisner during his worst period. And we are still reaping their "Magic™".

Eisner fancied himself a creative. Iger has dillusions. He doesn't understand creatives. He just views them as bought and paid for underlings. And he has no respect for their talents or the skills that they bring to the table. Why should he? He can buy more. He is not a visionary. He buys them.

Survey massage therapists. Love it.

That right there is why I think it's worth looking at the historical crowd data and just seeing what patterns appear.

My biggest question? How long has DHS been a hot mess?

Mike S

Sneak peek of things to come?
image.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Yes, in a perfect world, that would be fabulous - but as your source cites, this is simply how corporate America functions in 2015. It would be wonderful if we could live in that kind of idealistic world - but no matter how "visionary" the CEO is, there is unfortunately a board and stockholders to please.

I honestly don't think that kind of idealism would have been tolerated by either - as much as you and I would like it to be different in terms of park spending, a "visionary" simply wouldn't have been hired.

Come on...you know this, Mr. Numbers Guy, LOL - you can't ground the discussion in economic realities and pure statistics and then put it on some mythical savoir figure who somehow would have come in and done what Iger has done in saving the company financially and still spend lavishly on the parks.

Like I said, this is not a reality that I like - but it's a reality, nontheless.
Visionaries have never been hired by corporate America. Not now, and not in Walt's day. Visionaries are entrepreneurs by necessity. Elon Musk is a modern visionary.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Survey massage therapists. Love it.

That right there is why I think it's worth looking at the historical crowd data and just seeing what patterns appear.

My biggest question? How long has DHS been a hot mess?
The best I can do in terms of attendance using TEA numbers is stuff I had put together a while ago, and mostly focused on (you'll never guess) Epcot.
The first one of these focuses on growth percentage from year to year, starting from 2006

4_park_attendance.JPG

The second is Epcot attendance over the years. This one I had to do a little extrapolating and assuming on, because for the early years Disney only released total WDW numbers, not park-by-park.

EpcotAttendanceTimeline.JPG

MerlinTheGoat

Splash has to be higher than 1200 i'd think, couldn't imagine it would be that close to Maelstrom. A google search for Splash Mountain hourly capacity yielded this topic, bit old from 2005 but still probably pretty accurate-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ride-capacities-everest-and-splash-mountain.66949/

So somewhere around 1800-2000 per hour as stated by a cast member who worked at the attraction at the time. Seems about right.

Funmeister

Splash has to be higher than 1200 i'd think, couldn't imagine it would be that close to Maelstrom. A google search for Splash Mountain hourly capacity yielded this topic, bit old from 2005 but still probably pretty accurate-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ride-capacities-everest-and-splash-mountain.66949/

So somewhere around 1800-2000 per hour as stated by a cast member who worked at the attraction at the time. Seems about right.

2000 is tough. Of course when I was there it was before they added the additional unload which I am sure helped the cause. To get 2000 you have to have the right team to the point load is assisting in unload and vice versa.

Like I said I am sure it is a little easier now with the additional unload area.

MerlinTheGoat

According to this site:
https://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/theoreticaloperational-hourly-ride-capacity-at-wdw/

Splash under 1100

Test Track under 1100

They have Maelstrom at 900. I believe that they will work to get it up to near Splash and Test Track.
Pretty sure those numbers are total BS, at least for Splash. But besides Splash there are a number of obviously wrong stats on that list. For example, I don't buy for a minute that 7 Dwarfs Mine Train has a higher hourly capacity than Big Thunder, no way that is true, it's absurd.

Last edited:

Funmeister

According to this site:
https://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/theoreticaloperational-hourly-ride-capacity-at-wdw/

Splash under 1100

Test Track under 1100

They have Maelstrom at 900. I believe that they will work to get it up to near Splash and Test Track.

That site is incorrect. I still have an old training manual somewhere. I sill see what the SOP stated but I know it was 1800+ when I worked there.

I cannot speak for Test Track but my guess is 1100- is a bit low. I could be wrong about that one.

doctornick

I think Ant Man is an example. What I had read when Edgar Wright left the project he had been working on for 7+ years was that Disney/Marvel were forcing changes to ensure it tied into the MCU more than he had envisioned.

If that was Iger, or other execs though I have no idea.

I don't think that had anything to do with Iger but is how Marvel Studios is run. It's not a director centered model, it's very much heavily controlled by Feige and studio heads, which has lead to a number of directors parting at different times.

SJN1279

No, that would be Mermaid and SDMT. Gringotts was a minor disappointment if anything. Still great, but there are some faults. After my most recent trip I realised how much more I enjoy Mummy.

Seven Dwarves is a fun family coaster with awesome animatronics and music. Little Mermaid is a good fantasyland dark ride with great music and is a ride that has improved with updates. The ending is still rushed though.

Gringotts was hyped as the greatest E-ticket of all time from the time it was announced until opening day. Mermaid and Dwarves did not receive half the hype Gringotts did. The queue for Gringotts is amazing. The ride is rushed and underwhelming. Gringotts is no where near the best E-tickets from Disney or Universal. It was a huge letdown.

doctornick

Would using a smaller form factor vehicle help with the capacity. The Maelstrom boats were quite massive outside of the seating area. If they chose a smaller design, with similar amount of seating, would that not allow more boats on the attraction, and in turn increase the capacity?

They are using new boats for the new ride (people have reported the old Maelstrom viking barges being taken away). If the new vehicles are a similar length as the old boats but they don't have the decorative elements at the front and back, they might be able to fit in another row which would help capacity because you could fit more people per boat.

WDW1974

Original Poster
With all of this Spirited talk of reduced CM benefits and potential impact of "surge" pricing on guests I wonder if we should adjust our language to more accurately reflect the relationship of TWDC to those with whom it interacts. After all, a "guest" implies someone that carries some level of respect, someone that you desire to impress. A "cast member" is an integral part playing a significant role in the "show". I posit in light of today's Disney that there are no longer "guests" but "customers" (and I feel that may even be generous). And certainly "cast members" (I used to be one) are merely "employees". Using these historic terms in the current setting feels like spin, at best. Just food for thought...

I believe today's Disney, most especially in O-Town, has such disdain for its customers and employees that I'm not sure exactly what words are appropriate.

But I would implore people here and anywhere to NOT use the term 'SURGE pricing' because that is the language that Disney is actively utilizing to justify screwing us all more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom