A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yet one more comment about the lack of ANY coverage of Bob Iger and Tom Staggs in Shanghai.

Y'all do realize that China has a 'Great Firewall' that censors the Internet better than Willow Bay. All the coverage that was supposed to happen over there was FOR Western media. Meaning people in China largely wouldn't have seen it, unless the government decided they wanted that.

And yet, they still wouldn't allow for that coverage.

Seriously, step back and think about what I am saying ...

PhotoDave219

Oh lookie, ABC's Nightline, once a show that epitomized the best in broadcast journalism is doing a commericial tonight for DL's 60th.

Seriously, they have a segment upcoming on it. Ted Koppel would roll over in his grave, except he isn't dead yet.

I met him once (in college). I asked him pointedly why all three networks essentially ran the same news. He evaded the question and cursed me out for it. Badge of honor I suppose.....

PhotoDave219

Phil, if you believe that, then why are you here? Why can't you just quit me? ... Oh, and that's also an excuse thrown out by simple minds that can't comprehend complex issues. Or from people who just enjoy being drive-by provocateurs.

Well Strange as it sounds, his simplistic idea of "China hates westernization" simply reinforces what you and I and others have been saying. Not sure if he realizes that.....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any quotes would be the same mundane, cliche crap. There is nothing interesting or engaging.

Not the point. They were there to make a statement. And I KNOW you damn well know that. They're always ...oops, sorry, I'm going to puke as Bob Iger is giving a statement on Nightline and I just can't ...

You've said flags have been raised about many things but they're just ignored. You go on about how others aren't being responsible and getting the story out there when you are doing the exact same thing. If you have the details and connections then break the big news.

First of all, I'm not employed as a journalist. It isn't my job.
I'm working on it. I'm sorry that my uncle died due to hospital neglect and I have a parent fighting for their life. I know that you're just pushing my buttons here to be contrary. But my life isn't devoted to Disney ... I can lead, I can point people in the right direction ... but I can't do their jobs for them. And I wouldn't want to. I'm often told about how many minions here. Well, if that's true, why don't pick up the shovel?

Considering that you spend so much time here, perhaps, you should work on it?

It seems quite a stretch that there are papers and people willing to anger governments around the world but nobody on the entire planet will go near a negative world about Disney? In an age where one can make headlines dumping documents on the right Reddit page that seems odd. Even an anonymous article on something like Gawker could get noticed. But instead everything (which is mostly questions and insinuations that are more often denied) stays here.

No, not really. I've already talked about the Snowden story, something the NYT and Washington Post only covered when they had absolutely no choice. Something that even the 'liberal' MSNBC began coverage by focusing on Snowden's mental health and not his information. ... And I tried Gawker, I think I got two writers a free week at EPCOT eating and drinking for my trouble. If it were easy, then I'd already have done it.

I worked my off to get the sexual abusers working in theme parks story somewhere and it wound up being less than I would liked on CNN. It was supposed to get followed up on, but then Russia invaded the Ukraine and it just faded away ... just as Disney would have scripted. Oh, and I was then accused of being an accessory to crimes by a few PML pals. But I'm sure you missed all that ...

AEfx

Alright, before @PhotoDave219 and @1023 go any further and need to get a room...

...am I the only one who gets horribly depressed when I see the constantly running ads for "Tomorrowland"?

Seriously.

When I first heard about the movie I wasn't particularly interested - especially since the plot was so nebulous at the time. "inspired by" can mean something decent (a couple of the Pirates films) or it can mean utter trash (the new Jem live-action reboot which has nothing more to do with the show than character names and hair color).

(NOTE: While typing the above, another frakking ad just came on...sigh. Curse "Girl Meets World" being on the Disney Channel.)

I'd seen a smattering of talk here about it, but it really wasn't until a few weeks ago when the trailer hit and then the proliferation of TV ads that I really started to pay attention. You know, the "I'll believe it when I see it" thing you have to do with Disney these days. (BTW, there are so many different TV spots that unless the film is 8 hours long, they have to have shown clips of virtually every scene.)

First I thought - OK, you've got the Hunger Games/Divergence thing going, the look of the film is pretty cool, still not sure what the hell it's about...and HEY! That's George Clooney! (See, told you, hadn't really followed development.)

(WARNING: TRAILER SPOILERS BELOW)

Then, the other day, working late, I flipped the big screen TV around to face my computer area, and there was this crazy HD footage of IASW. For a second, I thought I had left my XBOX One on YouTube and it was one of @marni1971 's videos. Then for another second I thought it was "Escape From Tomorrow", but then I realized it was in color.

If you've seen it, you know what happens next - a chute opens up right in the middle of the ride path, the boat goes down the chute, into somewhere totally bizarre and unexpected. (I can't remember what, if you haven't gathered by now - it was late, and I was a little...tired - or at least my eyes were a bit squinty - enough so that the next day I actually debated for a moment if I really had seen it, or if it was a dream as my dreams are actually eerily similar).

So, since then...when I see these constant ads...I kind of hurt a little inside. Like, there is this movie that should be so far up my alley it could save me a my yearly exam (just kidding, I'm not that old...yet...waiting for @PhotoDave219 to take the plunge first, as my elder).

And it's not something like the Catwoman movie - you know, should have been absolutely freaking terrific, even the actors weren't bad choices (Sharon Stone as a scene chewing comic villain? There has been worse casting in the world), but ended up sucking out loud, but not even loudly enough to be "good" like Showgirls. Sure, Tomorrowland seems like a Disney merchandise bonanza - I mean, magic buttons that open up rides? Color me shocked they weren't magic bracelets...

The movie looks good - that's not the problem. The problem is, it reminds me of everything we don't have sitting here in 2015 - how WDW is actually less exciting than it was even 15 years ago (when I was already an adult, not looking through childhood nostalgia). How when I was a kid in the 80's, if you'd asked me what WDW would look like in 2015, I would have never imagined that the most exciting things at Disney would remain those built before the turn of the century.

As I said above, I've been watching a lot of YouTube lately. While I am generally an early adopter of technology, I've never really caught the YouTube bug - it was a tool, if I needed a research clip if I absolutely couldn't get it otherwise. And some park videos - but I just hate watching video at my computer. That all changed when I got an XBOX One last winter - even though I have 8 different devices hooked up to my TV that are Internet capable, and most of them have YouTube (and a handful of handheld devices as well), they were always slow and the interface sucked. But with a wireless keyboard and an XBOX One, it's like Christmas in HD with all the quality stuff out there now if you look hard enough.

While I've seen a lot of them briefly before, on the computer, I have been looking at overseas dark rides (where they seem to actually still build them) and particularly lately I have been checking to Tokyo and Hong Kong stuff. While of course you can't truly judge from a video, a lot of these are really high quality HD videos, well done, and you get as good of a sense as you can possibly get without actually being there.

Seeing them on the big screen in HD, compared to on the computer, they still are very impressive - but, that said - particularly thinking about JtCTE and 20K at TDS, and Mystic Manor at Hong Kong - they aren't THAT insanely amazing. They are really really really nice dark rides. When you really break them down, though - exteriors aside - they really are pretty "simple" dark rides. Again, superbly done and well maintained, obviously - but nothing that I wouldn't have expected Disney to build in WDW. Either of those attractions could have appeared in 1998 somewhere in WDW and I would have been wow'd, but it wouldn't have been crazy unrealstic Jetsons flying car blue sky fantasy, either.

To make a long story short (too late)...that's why I am depressed. The Tokyo parks in particular are our impossible dream - the quality we don't even begin to expect in our lifetime. We can't even get cheap, watered down clones of them, let alone real quality clones. We are lucky if a new "attraction" moves on a vehicle and isn't a Meet 'n Greet, and the Disney fandom swoons because they put one decent show scene in 7DMT.

It's not about being some Twit-turd teenage fan who is bummed about not having whatever crazy futuristic technologies Tomorrowland is about (though as a child of the 80's, I want my fraking Hoverboard, it's 2015 for crying out loud). I still honestly have little clue what the film is about other than magic pins (replicas and variations and limited edition versions available, kids!) and crazy space technology rides that somehow ties into a story of saving...something.

But that moment seeing IASW going postal is what just did me in. A dark ride that surprised you and really immersed you. It's all I can think about when I see the ads now - Disney is now making a movie about the ultimate theme park, which come on, let's face it, Clooney or not, was greenlit and paid for not only to mine the parks for ideas but "hey and it's free advertising" was helpful along the line somewhere. Parks that obviously don't offer that future fantasy experience, but don't even offer exciting experiences commesurate with 1995, let alone 2015.

So that's why Tomorrowland bums me out. I'll watch it, probably when it comes out on Blu-ray. But I just can't go to a theater and spend two hours straight being bummed - I'll have to watch it in chunks.

(Final note, as I was finishing this, I saw an ad for Jurassic World - a movie I am very much looking forward to, because - theme parks, and Dinosaurs - but also because not only are the existing rides decent, I have no doubt that in a few years at most, Universal will have all new Jurassic experiences that will wow me. Plus, Chris Pratt...mmm. Sorry Clooney, you will always be classic, but Chris Pratt is just...yummy.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Mr. Phil's on the spot speculation actually kind of echoes what @WDW1974 is saying: that China is in control here. But it obviously leaves out the narrative that Mr. Iger is being shunned and he's angry about it.

I guess my only real question is: Why am I supposed to care?

I know Mr. Spirit keeps waving his finger at us for not caring. I just don't get why?

No, you don't have to care about anything. But if you don't care, then move along. Seriously. There are hundreds of active threads on this site. It isn't like this is the only thread here with action (if it is, then someone owes me a big paycheck and some pies!)

If you don't understand why what's going on over there is hugely important for Disney and the global economy, then -- at this point -- you never will. So why waste your time? I hear Ant Man is going to be way kewl and Disney will be building an $87 meet-greet-and-sting at The Disney-MGM Studios. Why not go talk about that? Or about the new brunch at Chef Mickey's?

They are over there, in communist China, building a park, and China is heavily involved. Gee. You don't say.

Bob's not allowed in the photos...
OK. I want to see the construction, not little Bobby.

And heck, when he is in a photo, we make fun of it here anyway.

Now this whole missing $800M deal, yep, something fishy is going on there.
And it needs to be looked into.

But Photogate is just a bore.

When something bores me, I don't engage in it. Simple solution. I don't write about it on the Internet ...

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Alright, before @PhotoDave219 and @1023 go any further and need to get a room...

...am I the only one who gets horribly depressed when I see the constantly running ads for "Tomorrowland"?

Seriously.

When I first heard about the movie I wasn't particularly interested - especially since the plot was so nebulous at the time. "inspired by" can mean something decent (a couple of the Pirates films) or it can mean utter trash (the new Jem live-action reboot which has nothing more to do with the show than character names and hair color).

(NOTE: While typing the above, another frakking ad just came on...sigh. Curse "Girl Meets World" being on the Disney Channel.)

I'd seen a smattering of talk here about it, but it really wasn't until a few weeks ago when the trailer hit and then the proliferation of TV ads that I really started to pay attention. You know, the "I'll believe it when I see it" thing you have to do with Disney these days. (BTW, there are so many different TV spots that unless the film is 8 hours long, they have to have shown clips of virtually every scene.)

First I thought - OK, you've got the Hunger Games/Divergence thing going, the look of the film is pretty cool, still not sure what the hell it's about...and HEY! That's George Clooney! (See, told you, hadn't really followed development.)

Then, the other day, working late, I flipped the big screen TV around to face my computer area, and there was this crazy HD footage of IASW. For a second, I thought I had left my XBOX One on YouTube and it was one of @marni1971 's videos. Then for another second I thought it was "Escape From Tomorrow", but then I realized it was in color.

If you've seen it, you know what happens next - a chute opens up right in the middle of the ride path, the boat goes down the chute, into somewhere totally bizarre and unexpected. (I can't remember what, if you haven't gathered by now - it was late, and I was a little...tired - or at least my eyes were a bit squinty - enough so that the next day I actually debated for a moment if I really had seen it, or if it was a dream as my dreams are actually eerily similar).

So, since then...when I see these constant ads...I kind of hurt a little inside. Like, there is this movie that should be so far up my alley it could save me a my yearly exam (just kidding, I'm not that old...yet...waiting for @PhotoDave219 to take the plunge first, as my elder).

And it's not something like the Catwoman movie - you know, should have been absolutely freaking terrific, even the actors weren't bad choices (Sharon Stone as a scene chewing comic villain? There has been worse casting in the world), but ended up sucking out loud, but not even loudly enough to be "good" like Showgirls. Sure, Tomorrowland seems like a Disney merchandise bonanza - I mean, magic buttons that open up rides? Color me shocked they weren't magic bracelets...

The movie looks good - that's not the problem. The problem is, it reminds me of everything we don't have sitting here in 2015 - how WDW is actually less exciting than it was even 15 years ago (when I was already an adult, not looking through childhood nostalgia). How when I was a kid in the 80's, if you'd asked me what WDW would look like in 2015, I would have never imagined that the most exciting things at Disney would remain those built before the turn of the century.

As I said above, I've been watching a lot of YouTube lately. While I am generally an early adopter of technology, I've never really caught the YouTube bug - it was a tool, if I needed a research clip if I absolutely couldn't get it otherwise. And some park videos - but I just hate watching video at my computer. That all changed when I got an XBOX One last winter - even though I have 8 different devices hooked up to my TV that are Internet capable, and most of them have YouTube (and a handful of handheld devices as well), they were always slow and the interface sucked. But with a wireless keyboard and an XBOX One, it's like Christmas in HD with all the quality stuff out there now if you look hard enough.

While I've seen a lot of them briefly before, on the computer, I have been looking at overseas dark rides (where they seem to actually still build them) and particularly lately I have been checking to Tokyo and Hong Kong stuff. While of course you can't truly judge from a video, a lot of these are really high quality HD videos, well done, and you get as good of a sense as you can possibly get without actually being there.

Seeing them on the big screen in HD, compared to on the computer, they still are very impressive - but, that said - particularly thinking about JtCTE and 20K at TDS, and Mystic Manor at Hong Kong - they aren't THAT insanely amazing. They are really really really nice dark rides. When you really break them down, though - exteriors aside - they really are pretty "simple" dark rides. Again, superbly done and well maintained, obviously - but nothing that I wouldn't have expected Disney to build in WDW. Either of those attractions could have appeared in 1998 somewhere in WDW and I would have been wow'd, but it wouldn't have been crazy unrealstic Jetsons flying car blue sky fantasy, either.

To make a long story short (too late)...that's why I am depressed. The Tokyo parks in particular are our impossible dream - the quality we don't even begin to expect in our lifetime. We can't even get cheap, watered down clones of them, let alone real quality clones. We are lucky if a new "attraction" moves on a vehicle and isn't a Meet 'n Greet, and the Disney fandom swoons because they put one decent show scene in 7DMT.

It's not about being some Twit-turd teenage fan who is bummed about not having whatever crazy futuristic technologies Tomorrowland is about (though as a child of the 80's, I want my fraking Hoverboard, it's 2015 for crying out loud). I still honestly have little clue what the film is about other than magic pins (replicas and variations and limited edition versions available, kids!) and crazy space technology rides that somehow ties into a story of saving...something.

But that moment seeing IASW going postal is what just did me in. A dark ride that surprised you and really immersed you. It's all I can think about when I see the ads now - Disney is now making a movie about the ultimate theme park, which come on, let's face it, Clooney or not, was greenlit and paid for not only to mine the parks for ideas but "hey and it's free advertising" was helpful along the line somewhere. Parks that obviously don't offer that future fantasy experience, but don't even offer exciting experiences commesurate with 1995, let alone 2015.

So that's why Tomorrowland bums me out. I'll watch it, probably when it comes out on Blu-ray. But I just can't go to a theater and spend two hours straight being bummed - I'll have to watch it in chunks.

(Final note, as I was finishing this, I saw an ad for Jurassic World - a movie I am very much looking forward to, because - theme parks, and Dinosaurs - but also because not only are the existing rides decent, I have no doubt that in a few years at most, Universal will have all new Jurassic experiences that will wow me. Plus, Chris Pratt...mmm. Sorry Clooney, you will always be classic, but Chris Pratt is just...yummy.)

Wow.....

*1023*

WDW1974

Original Poster
But the Disney stuff is also always supposed to be big. Nearly $1 billion in graft payouts would be "too big not to notice."

Who said Disney paid $1 billion in graft?

Oh, btw, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Bob Iger gives Brooks Barnes an exclusive tonight or this weekend saying he was so wowed and amazed by the MAGIC he saw being created in Shanghai that Disney has decided to add another $500 million to the SDL project!

Mike S

Seriously.

Having just seen the movie, there's a line from it that you just reminded me of. I'll put it in the spoiler tag just in case.
What you saw was an advertisement for a place that doesn't exist.

AEfx

Having just seen the movie, there's a line from it that you just reminded me of. I'll put it in the spoiler tag just in case.
What you saw was an advertisement for a place that doesn't exist.

I've bored folks with enough words tonight, so I can just say what my grandfather would say about that..."Ain't that a hum-dinger..."

That's one of those things like finding the Probe board game in the background of so many movie and TV shows from the 80's...that line came from someone with subversive intentions, while the mindless suits didn't even get it.

Bairstow

Have you worked in media?
Do you understand the landscape of media in 21st century America?
Do you get what the simplest explanation really is?

Do you get that Brooks Barnes of the vaunted NYT is drinking and eating free Disney party grub and posing with characters in Frontierland now ... well, he was a while ago. All after an earlier visit to Walt's apartment above the firehouse.

If he's got the scruples of a Ricky Brigante or a Jim Hill or a Lou Mongello or any of the whores who allowed Disney to pay for them to fly to Anaheim, gave them free hotels and let them party in exchange for be being BRAND advocates, then what do you think that says of people making far less than Brooks, working at less prestigious organizations?

Again, you fall into this trap of thinking simply about this story and this company. Think of media in general operating like this. Think of the fact that no one in the USA was willing to write about the massive spying our government was doing on its own citizens until Edward Snowden came forward to the Guardian. No one in the USA wanted to touch that. There are countless stories that never get told because the government, Wall Street and powerful people, companies and organizations see to that.

Remember that Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China Op-Ed that was censored (or just disappeared if that's your incorrect world view)? Do you know understand why it may have been so important to shut that writer up?

The long term ramifications to our society are truly huge.

But this isn't about simply a company opening a theme park and whether or not the financial press cares. It's about whether the most American of corporations, a symbol of this very country, just might have entered into a very bad deal (that they're lying to their employees, fans, consumers and, most importantly, shareholders, about). And no one in that financial press dares ask very basic questions about so many 'fishy' topics. If there really wasn't anything strange going on, then it would be very easy for Disney to set that record straight.

You're still dancing around what you seem to think is actually going on regarding Disney's standing in China rather than coming right out and say it.
Also, most of the conclusions you've drawn have been from things that you expected to happen, but didn't. The media tends to focus on things that DO happen.
When the opening of the park's deadline was pushed back a bit, stories ran. We're now nowhere near either stated opening date of the park, so why would anyone besides the most rabidly interested Disney fans care whether or not some arbitrary construction milestone was marked with the expected amount of photo ops?

I'm not arguing that nothing is going on, I'm just arguing that other than the most Disney-obsessed fans out there who also aren't dedicated Disney boosters, who can really be expected to care at this point?

NearTheEars

No, you don't have to care about anything. But if you don't care, then move along. Seriously. There are hundreds of active threads on this site. It isn't like this is the only thread here with action (if it is, then someone owes me a big paycheck and some pies!)

If you don't understand why what's going on over there is hugely important for Disney and the global economy, then -- at this point -- you never will. So why waste your time? I hear Ant Man is going to be way kewl and Disney will be building an $87 meet-greet-and-sting at The Disney-MGM Studios. Why not go talk about that? Or about the new brunch at Chef Mickey's?

When something bores me, I don't engage in it. Simple solution. I don't write about it on the Internet ...

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not a bug Marvel Guy. And the only time I've seen Chef Mickey's is through the window of the monorail.

Anyway, it's more that nearly every post for the last few months has started with "Where is the photo of Bob at point A." Followed by someone (like Phil) saying it doesn't mean anything. Then you responding with a "It means everything!"

All I've gathered is that officials in communist China are truly the ones in charge of a park being built within their boundaries. TWDC is bound to profit from this, but obviously it's coming at a cost.

Bob Iger wants to be the face of this project, but his face is nowhere to be found. And we're reminded of that repeatedly.

What I'm not getting is the magnitude of Bob not calling the shots. It's been inferred that China never lets Westerners come in and run the show. So should I be surprised? Should Disney have more clout? I don't know. Maybe I'd be more worried if this was TWDC's first endevour into theme parks and someone else was pulling the strings, but this is just adding another resort to a long list.

Like you said, I guess I'm a lost cause on that.

As I said earlier, I can understand why you constantly bring up the missing millions. Something is going on there. And I'm interested in that. Along with the other OTown news you offer up from time to time. And I don't think I'll find any of that in an Ant Man thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom