A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

Well, Iger loves to showoff in events even if the attractions weren't opening yet. Mine Train anyone?
Since when does Iger love the spotlight? And what happened with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Meanwhile... Back to China...

I seriously given up hope that any media will report on what WDW1974 is putting forth. I believe it to be VERY plausible having known several people that started companies in China (albiet they are "ants" compared to TWDC), but there's SO much corruption and the they had The State looking over their shoulders, tapping their phones. Finally they were double crossed by their Chinese partner and were held hostage by their own workers - and forced to flee in the middle of the night -- and these guys provided exceedingly cushy benefits to their workers - it's the stuff of spy movies.

Investigative journalism is dead. It's like we are living in The Matrix. "Move along... Everything is FINE."

PhotoDave219

Holy rear view mirror Batman...I am looking back at 40... But I look like a 25 year old, go figure... P90X made me the washboard I am today... I mean man....

*1023*

( I am not making an endorsement of any product...)

You have my attention sir. I have a bit of a DadBod. Which they tell me is the new "In" thing.... Women say that but they just want to see Thor and his hammer.

Phil12

I would, but having known 2 people that lived that extraordinary story first-hand, I believe ANYTHING is possible when you are an American trying to run a business in China.
I agree that it's possible but less likely than other explanations. I think we need to look at the most likely first and be careful not to jump to erroneous conclusions.

PhotoDave219

But you have Willow.
Iger and she are a power couple.
Too many vested interest and big stockholders in the media industry. Money wins out. If they keep quiet "everything is fine," no stocks lost.

"

Lets avoid politics, shall we? (And I agree with you, FWIW)

For WillowBob? It is all about the money. Hell, He gets paid in stock. They have a personal and monetary vested interest in keeping anything negative or anything even remotely having the appearance of affecting the stock price so far hidden, its unbelievable.

..... Which is why when we harp on Corporate Governance when it comes time for the Shareholder questions during the meetings, its horribly important. These are prime examples of why CEO & Chairman should be separate, of why the CEO should not be paid in stock, and why there needs to be more transparency about how their money is spent.

Its kinda messed up when a bunch of fans on a message board ask harder corporate governance questions than the Board of Directors.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is the one part of your theory that doesn't add up.
What's the simplest explanation? That a cabal of American media refusing to report on a possible shift in power between Disney and the Chinese consortium on a theme park that isn't even ready yet is keeping this story from making the front page of the Financial Times and USA Today, or that most people are less interested in theme parks than we are?

Have you worked in media?
Do you understand the landscape of media in 21st century America?
Do you get what the simplest explanation really is?

Do you get that Brooks Barnes of the vaunted NYT is drinking and eating free Disney party grub and posing with characters in Frontierland now ... well, he was a while ago. All after an earlier visit to Walt's apartment above the firehouse.

If he's got the scruples of a Ricky Brigante or a Jim Hill or a Lou Mongello or any of the whores who allowed Disney to pay for them to fly to Anaheim, gave them free hotels and let them party in exchange for be being BRAND advocates, then what do you think that says of people making far less than Brooks, working at less prestigious organizations?

Again, you fall into this trap of thinking simply about this story and this company. Think of media in general operating like this. Think of the fact that no one in the USA was willing to write about the massive spying our government was doing on its own citizens until Edward Snowden came forward to the Guardian. No one in the USA wanted to touch that. There are countless stories that never get told because the government, Wall Street and powerful people, companies and organizations see to that.

Remember that Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China Op-Ed that was censored (or just disappeared if that's your incorrect world view)? Do you know understand why it may have been so important to shut that writer up?

The long term ramifications to our society are truly huge.

But this isn't about simply a company opening a theme park and whether or not the financial press cares. It's about whether the most American of corporations, a symbol of this very country, just might have entered into a very bad deal (that they're lying to their employees, fans, consumers and, most importantly, shareholders, about). And no one in that financial press dares ask very basic questions about so many 'fishy' topics. If there really wasn't anything strange going on, then it would be very easy for Disney to set that record straight.

PhotoDave219

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras. There are plenty of very plausible explanations that don't involve conspiracies and the stuff of spy movies. I think logic dictates that we look toward the most plausible explanations first and save the conspiracy theories until some credible evidence surfaces that points in that direction.

Well you've yet to offer any plausible explanations. I offered two myself that don't involve any sense of conspiracy.

So, The floor is yours. What's your explanation?

lazyboy97o

Have you worked in media?
Do you understand the landscape of media in 21st century America?
Do you get what the simplest explanation really is?

Do you get that Brooks Barnes of the vaunted NYT is drinking and eating free Disney party grub and posing with characters in Frontierland now ... well, he was a while ago. All after an earlier visit to Walt's apartment above the firehouse.

If he's got the scruples of a Ricky Brigante or a Jim Hill or a Lou Mongello or any of the whores who allowed Disney to pay for them to fly to Anaheim, gave them free hotels and let them party in exchange for be being BRAND advocates, then what do you think that says of people making far less than Brooks, working at less prestigious organizations?

Again, you fall into this trap of thinking simply about this story and this company. Think of media in general operating like this. Think of the fact that no one in the USA was willing to write about the massive spying our government was doing on its own citizens until Edward Snowden came forward to the Guardian. No one in the USA wanted to touch that. There are countless stories that never get told because the government, Wall Street and powerful people, companies and organizations see to that.

Remember that Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China Op-Ed that was censored (or just disappeared if that's your incorrect world view)? Do you know understand why it may have been so important to shut that writer up?

The long term ramifications to our society are truly huge.

But this isn't about simply a company opening a theme park and whether or not the financial press cares. It's about whether the most American of corporations, a symbol of this very country, just might have entered into a very bad deal (that they're lying to their employees, fans, consumers and, most importantly, shareholders, about). And no one in that financial press dares ask very basic questions about so many 'fishy' topics. If there really wasn't anything strange going on, then it would be very easy for Disney to set that record straight.
So why haven't you written the article with pointed questions and had it published somewhere?

PhotoDave219

You're talking in circles there. I'd like to hear your thoughts here on the specifics beyond a simple "China hates Westernization." Thats simple beyond belief, ranks up there with "The sun rises every day in the East"

So please, explain the simple explanation that you say we're all missing.

If thats your argument, that reinforces what I'm saying with either: Iger capitulating to keep from ruffling feathers or he's being forced to capitulate in order to do business in China. Either way, Disney isn't calling the shots in China whatsoever.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My explanation is pure speculation and guesswork because I'm only a casual observer. But since you asked I'll provide you with my thoughts. My explanation is that China frowns upon westernization. The CEO of Disney making a prominent appearance at either the Disney Store or the park would probably do more to harm the overall long term goals than to help them. When KFC first entered China back in 1987 they were very low key and had a similar ownership arrangement with the Chinese. I understand that like KFC, Disney has hired top managers from China (where they can) rather than importing executives from the USA or Europe.

That's totally fair that you are a casual observer. What isn't fair is you consistently harping on me being a liar (that IS what you are accusing me of) and having some hidden agenda, when my agenda has been obvious for all the years I've been online talking about Disney. And when someone with experience in many aspects of this situation, from media to marketing to working relationships with China like myself and others tell you that you are wrong, you simply fall back on ''the Earth is flat'' line of thinking. It could be round to you, but until Zenia Mucha puts out a press release saying it, you're going to err on the side that it is flat.

Again, I can tell you that Bob Iger didn't go to China to not be seen, heard, photographed or otherwise quoted or acknowledged and you just won't accept it. Fine. Then move on ... Bob making an appearance was the whole point of him going. I just feel like hitting you on the head with a frying pan. Even taking Tom was done as a power play in the company to show faith in him as a successor to Bob.

And China doesn't frown on westernization. If it did, then companies like KFC, like GM, like Apple and, yes, like Disney would not be over there. They may not want our governmental policies or our holier than thou attitude about world affairs, but they absolutely want our companies and their products. I know you went so insane with KFC that you even drew my buddy @flynnibus into the thread (sorry about that, I owe you a drink or three sometime down the line ... hopefully, on a DCL voyage!) :)

I think what they're doing is allowing the folks in China to run the show in those areas in which they have the expertise. In those instances where they have identified weaknesses in the Chinese resource pool, they've filled those gaps with their own people. Aside from the Iger ego, I see no reason why he or any other high level executives from TWDC really needs to show up as front men. They obviously didn't need the publicity. The grand opening of the Disney Store in China was a huge success that seemed to exceed everyone's expectations.

First, again, you fundamentally fail to grasp how important China is to Disney. And to Iger and his legacy. It's crazy talk to say Disney and Iger didn't want attention (and that's without the information have and will share soon enough ... that you'll in turn basically say is a lie or my source has an agenda in a passive aggressive fashion). Publicity?!?! The whole friggin thing was designed for maximum publicity IN THE WEST and Disney got none. Zero. Zilch. Nada. He got more coverage when he took a selfie with a fanboi from Sherman Oaks tonight that went on the FB. You base your view on opinions. I am basing what I put out here on facts.

As to the Shanghai Disney Store being a huge success that exceeded expectations, I have to ask what you are basing that on. The line to get in? Do you speak Mandarin? Did you hear or read the complaints? The merchandise isn't affordable, the prices are much higher than in Hong Kong and Tokyo (which is considered offensive by Mainlanders), they have very little adult merchandise and even less for male adults. Those are just some of the comments in the Chinese media. Not exactly glowing.

I would imagine that Bob Iger has received advice from experts in Chinese cultural relations and he was probably advised to keep a low profile. As we've seen, western coverage of this event has been minimal and whatever coverage it got in China seems to have worked in spades!

You can imagine all you want, but it doesn't make it so. Oy vey, I am very close to making you the first person ever on this site who gets ignored. ... Bob didn't go to make a low profile. He went to make a statement. He failed miserably, which likely explains why he's with the whores in Anaheim tonight.

And, again, learn Mandarin if you wish to comment on the coverage in China. Don't rely on a handful or sources that are largely running the same 1-2 pieces of copy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom