A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Any idea when the 2014 TEA attedance figures will be released?

No earthly idea… But I want to see the beginning of June. I think that's when he came out last year.

However one of my bothan spies was telling me that it was a slow day last month, and they were only expecting 57,000.

Assuming that was an accurate reflection, that would put Magic Kingdom over the 20 million mark for one year. I personally don't think it's going to hit that but it could be close.

The 2013 numbers had them breaking 50,000 a day for the first time. 2014? I don't see them breaking 60,000 but it could happen.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the number 57,000 I was told included park hopping guests.....

Animaniac93-98

I've wondered if or how they account for the nearly 4 months of event parties MK experiences. Are all those people included in the estimate? Are they counted as seperate or same day visitors?

Rasvar

That doesn't matter.

How you game the system and how you Plan your travels is vastly an entirely different then a local passholder who decides at the spur of the moment Who says "hey let's go to Disney right now".

The system simply does not work for people who do not plan. And a vast majority of passholders are those kinds of people. And there are a good 30 to 40% of the Disneyland audience is made up of passholders.

Edit: simply because it works for you, does not mean it's going to work for everyone.

I don't think it will work at DLR at all. My system wouldn't even work at DLR.
Truthfully, I've done plenty spur of the moment trips (ie decide to go in a couple of hours). It sucks for DHS. It really sucks for SWW. Forget about any of the shows if you go on Saturday without the FP. I've yet to have an issue with last minute going to MK. However, I admit that I won't go when it closes early or is high season But I'm also a close the park kind of guy. If you want to go morning or afternoon, I can see where it probably doesn't work. However, I've had plenty of luck with same day FP, too. Most times I never do a second day until the day since we have no idea what park we want to go to. Maybe it's harder with more than two people. I've only done groups of two on the same day. Dinner reservations are the bigger pain for me since I won't eat the fast food. But that was a mess before FP+.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you think it is because the elements of the show (water screens, fountains, etc.) are used as a means to tell the story more so than using them to enhance the story?

I think before... It was more like here is a story told in water and visualizations. The water and colors are the stars... The wow comes from the cumulative effects and how you see things conveyed in a unique way. Basically... Things you are familar with presented in a new impressive format.

Now i do think the video segments in woc were underwhelming at times, but its overpowered by more good than bad.

Now, its much more like one of disney's theater shows. Watch this movie narrated by someone famous with all these special effects to make it something different. The fountains and color are no longer the stars... Nor are we seeing things represented in new different ways. Instead we are supposed to follow our narrator on this really crappy movie screen integrated with some special effects and editting gags... And the again watch these movie clips with backdrop of things like strobes and fountains moving.

Where the viewer is focused and where the awe is supposed to come from is just completely OFF in this thing.

The projection mapping we've seen on main street street so far has similar problems.

I sum it up as... Who is the star of the show and is impressing you.

PhotoDave219

I don't think it will work at DLR at all. My system wouldn't even work at DLR.
Truthfully, I've done plenty spur of the moment trips (ie decide to go in a couple of hours). It sucks for DHS. It really sucks for SWW. Forget about any of the shows if you go on Saturday without the FP. I've yet to have an issue with last minute going to MK. However, I admit that I won't go when it closes early or is high season But I'm also a close the park kind of guy. If you want to go morning or afternoon, I can see where it probably doesn't work. However, I've had plenty of luck with same day FP, too. Most times I never do a second day until the day since we have no idea what park we want to go to. Maybe it's harder with more than two people. I've only done groups of two on the same day. Dinner reservations are the bigger pain for me since I won't eat the fast food. But that was a mess before FP+.

Thats fine that you found a way that works for you. Alas the news of the day is that Disney is considering testing MM+ out in Aniheim. Someone tossed around August, right in the middle of D23.... which means they're intentionally trying to skew their own numbers, which will likely go one of two ways. Either the "everything is awesome crowd" which things everything Disney does turns to gold, even if its a flaming pile of dog poop... or the more likely response of "This needs to Die in a fire, you infidels." There will be little middle ground here.

Does anyone have a real breakdown of how much of the DL audience is passholders? I've heard anywhere from 35-50% and thats quite a large range.....

Funmeister

I think before... It was more like here is a story told in water and visualizations. The water and colors are the stars... The wow comes from the cumulative effects and how you see things conveyed in a unique way. Basically... Things you are familar with presented in a new impressive format.

Now i do think the video segments in woc were underwhelming at times, but its overpowered by more good than bad.

Now, its much more like one of disney's theater shows. Watch this movie narrated by someone famous with all these special effects to make it something different. The fountains and color are no longer the stars... Nor are we seeing things represented in new different ways. Instead we are supposed to follow our narrator on this really crappy movie screen integrated with some special effects and editting gags... And the again watch these movie clips with backdrop of things like strobes and fountains moving.

Where the viewer is focused and where the awe is supposed to come from is just completely OFF in this thing.

The projection mapping we've seen on main street street so far has similar problems.

I sum it up as... Who is the star of the show and is impressing you.

That really is unfortunate and seems to be a waste of money for installing the system to begin with.

lazyboy97o

It's a question of significance. Bob, Tom and Jay have trumpeted SDL for years as the "beachhead" for the company to enter the Chinese market. You are correct that Bob doesn't show up to every construction site or grand opening for things in the parks, that's what Tom and now Chappie are supposed to do. However, like with Bob appearing at WDSP for the Ratatouille opening just as they were finalizing the takeover, his absence speaks volumes given the importance of China to the company and his legacy.
Since when do we take anything said by Bob and the Strategic Planning Boys at face value? This is what I mean by having to ignore to be surprised. Bob's legacy is now in Pixar, Mavel and Lucasfilm, "legitimate" forms of entertainment. Shanghai Disneyland is the nonsense the Chinese want, and given the current love affair in China with themed entertainment Disney's view of the medium probably plays a nice role in a soured relationship.

arko

Thats fine that you found a way that works for you. Alas the news of the day is that Disney is considering testing MM+ out in Aniheim. Someone tossed around August, right in the middle of D23.... which means they're intentionally trying to skew their own numbers, which will likely go one of two ways. Either the "everything is awesome crowd" which things everything Disney does turns to gold, even if its a flaming pile of dog poop... or the more likely response of "This needs to Die in a fire, you infidels." There will be little middle ground here.

Does anyone have a real breakdown of how much of the DL audience is passholders? I've heard anywhere from 35-50% and thats quite a large range.....

One site was citing that there are currently over 1 million annual passholders at DLR and total attendance was 25 million last year. This number has jumped from 100000 AP holders in the mid 90's.

Progress.City

Let's get real.

Sure there are potentially lots of possible "explanations" why Bob (and Tom) would be official no-shows at the grand opening and topping-out events. But the fact that they were both in Shanghai at the time torpedoes all of them, except the remaining obvious explanation that they were specifically uninvited.
I already said it. It's not their style. It was clearly Eisner's style, but he's not in charge any more. Eisner still uses that style whenever he can wherever he can from the outside (ie the Twitter posts).

EDIT - I posted this before the reply to my first post saying the same thing. It's plausible that Chinese Communists are running Disney's Chinese operations. But until this is proven, I'll regard it as a very probable theory.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

Fastpass + won't work well in California. Too many people are passholders, too many people park hop multiple times from DCA to Disneyland within a day and then add in the fact that most people don't arrive at the parks til 5/6 while they are getting out of work. The people i know in Cali with annual passes would be revolted at having to plan anything before getting to the parks because that is far from the vibe there. Unlike Florida, you never see people running for fastpasses at rope drop or ever.

back to florida...seems the raptor show at UO will be same or very similar to the family attraction in Singapore. I think peeople will be highly entertained.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would agree. Of course, I enjoyed the show and it's still beautiful but I prefer the last WoC. I also love NPH but it just seemed a little out of place. Didn't pack the emotional punch that the last version did.

Pretty but empty headed... The calling card of WDI today. They fail to create the attachment, emotional hooks, or 'punch' because the attraction lacks the creative core... And relies on the detail or tech to differentiate it

They're making bimbo attractions. Sexy but unfulfilling

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm going to keep repeating the obvious because some people want to ignore it or explain it away: Bob Iger and Tom Staggs didn't travel to Shanghai to NOT be seen.

I realize some people here are playing around (really just a form of trolling) and don't even believe what they post.

You don't talk about how you're going to actually see major financial results from Shanghai Disneyland in 2016's results and then travel around the world for the events and be a no-show or a no-pics (really, the same thing).

Why don't we argue that we really can't be sure the world is round?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know what you said isn't up for debate, but I have an answer for you. Who was the CEO during those two castle topping occasions you mentioned? Was it this guy?

View attachment 93756

That's his style. It ain't Iger's. In the above picture, he's merely repeating his style. Maybe protecting his shares.

No, you're wrong. It doesn't matter who the man is. If you think Bob Iger shuns the spotlight, then you are seriously mistaken.

Take a look at what Bob did just for the opening (relocating really) of the Times Square Disney Store. Then, tell me that what you saw (or didn't) in Shanghai is really just Bob not wanting the attention.

Why is it so hard for people to accept the Ozzie and Sharon's Razor Theory that the simplest explanation is the right one? That Disney is taking its marching orders from the Chinese Communist Party, that Bob and Tom weren't at the opening or, possibly, at the SDL topping off ceremony because they weren't welcome.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I forgot the key word of "not" in that post, but we both put it in there.

Anyways. Thats insane. Thats messed up. Thats just unheard of. Someone has to have those stones.....

Find him or her. Give me one reporter who will even ask the questions and not accept BS or PR spin. Because I'd love to tell them some things I know ...but the people I know that are in those positions I just do not trust.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is an example of why you create problems for yourself. You're stating that I had the photo in my possession (or I knew where to find it) much earlier in the day. And then, according to your theory, waited in ambush until you posted in the thread and then I suddenly jumped out with my photo garotte in hand to prove you wrong. You're trying to portray me as some evil saboteur lying in wait to spring some horrendous weapon upon you. In fact, there is no truth to that story.

The truth is that I was browsing the thread when you posted a message at 9:28 PM and in that message you asked to see a photo of Bob Iger at the new China Disney Store. As I have said repeatedly now, I Googled, "Iger at China Disney Store" and the Business-Wire link with the photo was the very first search result. I copied the photo and posted it to the thread at 9:34 PM. I didn't include any editorial comment. That's the entire truth of the matter. Try it yourself. I noticed today that the Business-Wire link has fallen to the third search result on Google.

Yet, you decide to concoct some fanciful story that fits your perceived notions about me. And there is not one word of truth in your story. This is the reason why I find it necessary to question other things that you say. You seem to bend, twist and exaggerate facts so that they fit the "truth" of your story.

Boy, Phil, that's a lot of words when you could have said simply ''I didn't see the post until 9:28 and then opted to help you out.'' Of course, you didn't respond to anything else I wrote in that post or any post on the subject.

Again, it makes me wonder why you seem hellbent on attacking my narrative (which is the truth) without saying anything beyond ''I need proof'' ...

What's your explanation for why Bob and Tom were in Shanghai to plant their flag in China, yet you'd never know that? What's your explanation for having one stock shot (that truly could have been taken at the Glendale Galleria) that wasn't directly released? What's your explanation for why Bob and Tom weren't seen anywhere when they traveled there precisely TO BE SEEN? Were they busy stalking the shelves with plush and Star Wars crap? I'm legitimately interested in what your explanation is. Because it seems like your explanation doesn't exist.

WDW1974

Original Poster
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peo...sney-store-Shanghai-attracts-huge-queues.html
Apparently the Shanghai Store is being very well received. It's interesting that the line went on that long when people don't know about Disney there. Any ideas why people showed up?

Sorry if this is a double post.

It's not hard to drawn a crowd anywhere in China. They still have queues at the Apple Store at the IFC in Hong Kong.

You can't draw any conclusions beyond there are many people in Shanghai and every major Chinese metro area.

GiveMeTheMusic

Saw on the DLR board that you have seen the show and weren't impressed? That seems a common theme.

(although I'll bet every Lifestyler loved it!)

I was there last night because of the kindness of a friend. @flynnibus basically nails it - it feels like an ABC special on water screens and not a showcase for the medium to tell a loose story in a way that suits it. WOC 1.0 and Winter Dreams 1.0 (not a fan of Winter Dreams 2.0) both let the fountains shine with perfectly chosen material for the most part. Very little in the show stands out as "perfect material." There are some truly dazzling pieces though. I definitely got the impression it had been hacked up by executives as opposed to letting Davison do whatever he really wanted to do. That, of course, is sad.

NPH came off very flat to me. Low energy in the filmed sequences. I'm sure most guests will thoroughly enjoy it and will have no problem filling the arena each night. I already know that PTN and Forever will be my favorites, and that's fine with me. Seeing WOC is a bit of a chore because of the Fastpass anyway.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm still not seeing how this is really all that unusual for the Disney of today.

You really believe that? You believe Bob and Tom traveled over to Shanghai to NOT be seen?

We don't see Iger all over the U.S. resorts looking at construction, including his other legacy project at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

C'mon, you seriously aren't equating a relatively small-scale project for one of O-Town's four gates to opening the Chinese market? Bob's legacy (good or bad) will be all about Shanghai/China (first and foremost) and all his IP acquisitions (Pixar, Marvel, Lucas). No one but fanbois will be talking about DAK's Pandora.

It is now Friday in China. Robert Iger and Thomas Staggs have been in China since Monday. Forget the SDL topping off. Forget the Disney Store opening. Forget the lack of a single picture (beyond one stock Iger pic). Can you explain why there hasn't been one quote from either man in the financial press?

When it does happen the photos tend to come like a week after the fact and the content is just as lacking. Projects here run slow, late and over budget. The branding strategy is different, but we hate it here so I am still confused as to how it is a huge shortcoming that this park isn't being shoved full of franchises. The majority owner being vocal shouldn't be a shock either. The joint venture is not an SCA (a very peculiar arrangement pretty much unique to France) and the Government of Hong Kong had also stopped playing the fool. Even the Oriental Land Company, with its 100% ownership, has pushed back against Disney's say for the past decade. I can only be shocked if I ignore everything else going on with Disney's theme parks.

This project has been different from the start, different from every other project they've done. And the financial press is opting to ignore all of the red flags being raised (and, no, not talking the Chinese flag!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom