A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

You're going to need to go back to your sources on this one… Food rocks is entirely gone. It's just an empty space now.

I thought the stage exists behind a wall, but the seating was removed for the Soarin' queue. Even if the stage physically exists, though, it probably doesn't have any of the AAs any more. They have probably been reused or scavenged for parts.

I beleive @marni1971 has posted pictures of the current layout which shows the old stage in existence.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yeah, and lucky for Iger that didn't happen. "Iger Sells Disneyland To A Foreign Country" - what a great headline. He'd have been lynch-bait if he'd gone there. The fact that he even considered such a thing is the main reason I despise him.
Source? I don't remember reading anywhere that he even considered it.

PhotoDave219

I thought the stage exists behind a wall, but the seating was removed for the Soarin' queue. Even if the stage physically exists, though, it probably doesn't have any of the AAs any more. They have probably been reused or scavenged for parts.

I beleive @marni1971 has posted pictures of the current layout which shows the old stage in existence.

Yes the stage physically exists. But that's about it. Everything else is completely gone. No place for the audience to set. Because that's part of the soarin queue.

Probably just used as a storage closet at this point…

ItlngrlBella

I live in one the burbs on the SW side of Grand Rapids, MI. It's also home base for Meijers. Funny note on Gordon's, growing up my neighbors owned Gordon's when it was a family run enterprise then sold it and it has grown into what it is now.

Wow. Smart neighbors! Our Mejier warehouse/distribution has been here for over a year but the first store in our state (in our town), opens in a few weeks. I cannot wait!

Next Big Thing

You're going to need to go back to your sources on this one… Food rocks is entirely gone. It's just an empty space now.
Huh, I could've sworn Martin had said not long ago part of it was still in tact.

Either way that's distracting from the original point - Wasted space in Epcot. The fact that they haven't EXPANDED Future World since 1989. World Showcase has only been expanded in the form of restaurants and a future Princess M&G.

They've relied on the sponsor model for so long, but it just doesn't work in theme parks anymore. Social media is a much easier and more effective way to reach out to customers. The only way it makes sense is if you are selling something tangible and need a showcase, much like how GM uses Test Track.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Research. Most of the world remains concerned about how the US views intellectual property regimes. China continues to make efforts regarding intellectual property (intellectual property is also an issue of industrial and post-industrial stability). The country is a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a signatory to many international treaties relating to intellectual property such as the Paris Convention and the Berne Convention. China is also a member of the World Trade Organization is therefore a party to the TRIPs Agreement. There is a dedicated court system that only handles issues of intellectual property. Hong Kong and Macau had issues with infringement until the rejoined China and were pressured by the Mainland because the Central Government wanted the SARs to be positioned as gateways for business.

Changing from a system of absolutely no personal and intellectual property to one with such concepts does not happen over night and China very gradually switched its economy, with different rules applying to different places. The socioeconomic status of many people and the fragmentation of a bureaucratic system of governance play far bigger roles in ongoing infringement than explicit allowances from the Central Government. Local business are also no longer just making goods for others, but producing their own goods that they too want protected.

The recent lawsuit against Alibaba from a fashion brand (name escapes me right now) is going to be very interesting. It's regarding the selling of counterfeit items on Alibaba.com which is a massive presence in selling goods in large quantities. I know for a fact that there's MANY counterfeit goods, and their reaction to this is going to be very telling IMO

PhotoDave219

Huh, I could've sworn Martin had said not long ago part of it was still in tact.

Either way that's distracting from the original point - Wasted space in Epcot. The fact that they haven't EXPANDED Future World since 1989. World Showcase has only been expanded in the form of restaurants and a future Princess M&G.

They've relied on the sponsor model for so long, but it just doesn't work in theme parks anymore. Social media is a much easier and more effective way to reach out to customers. The only way it makes sense is if you are selling something tangible and need a showcase, much like how GM uses Test Track.

Then you're right, I totally miss your point.

Yes there's plenty of unused space and future world and then some.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The stage, stage surround and some background flats existed for quite a few years. Any usable hardware was long removed.

Today I believe even that is mostly gone.

Next Big Thing

Then you're right, I totally miss your point.

Yes there's plenty of unused space and future world and then some.
I just threw Food rocks in there for the hell of it because I thought I remembered hearing it was still in tact, either way, I was just mentioning unused places or things around FW.

Epcot has so much potential and that really is gone to waste. Part of the problem is I don't think they know what to do with Future World anymore.

Cesar R M

That was an interesting read, but nothing ever quite happens the way we predict. Try as we might, the future is always unpredictable. According to Arthur C. Clark, we would have had airplanes that flew to orbital space stations that spun to create artificial gravity that would have supported hundreds of people, a moon colony, talking computers with artificial intelligence, and video phone by 2001. He was way off.

In 2015, we have an international space station that cost $100 billion to build and two decades to complete that does not support artificial gravity, transport to the moon or beyond low earth orbit, and a maximum permanent residence of just seven astronauts. It was built in part by NASA's space shuttle that cost billions to fly and operate, was anything but routine, not very safe to fly, did not take off vertically (as 1960's futurists predicted), and has been since retired. Today, we use the Russian Soyuz to send three astronauts at a time to the ISS, which is technology essentially that hasn't changed since the Apollo days. The new U.S. Orion spacecraft that is planned to take astronauts to deep space has a design which is evolved from the 1960's Apollo capsul, but modified to for greater human capacity and endurance. It will land with a parachute splash in the water like Apollo did.

In real life 2001, people's computers running Windows Millenium kept crashing. In sharp contrast, 1960's futurists predicted computer robots would replace the maid and do your windows. In 2015, we still don't have HAL but we do have SIRI.

No one could have predicted the Internet. However, in one moderately successful film of the 1980's, the vision of the Internet was crystal clear. That movie was Robocop.

No one could have predicted cell phone, but Gene Roddenberry practically invented the flip phone! Do you know what else Roddenberry predicted and no one ever give him credit for? The tablet PC! Yup, in the original Star Trek series, they had a thin touchscreen computer they carried around. Do you remember what they called it? P.A.D.

One last bit. Finally, today in 2015, we have the technology for video calls in every phone. Problem is there was no single standard and all devices could not make video calls to all other devices hooked up on to different carriers. This year, all new cell phone models come with a new standard that all carriers are adapting that allows video, HD voice, and other data services to connect indiscriminately between different hardware manufacturers and carriers. The standard is called VOLTE (Voice Over LTE). The roll-out is slow. Not all carriers are using it yet and not all features work yet between hardware brands. My carrier (Verizon) has it but they have it turned off as a default and the video function defaults to FaceTime for the time being on iPhones.
The problem is, focus changed.
Both the US and the Russians seems to have changed their priorities of "being first at all cost thanks to pride" to "must make money at all costs or give military/power control...or do not even try".

Cesar R M

Currently the CCP is composed of incredibly hawkish men who feel the west is not giving China sufficient face on the world stage Xi Jinping is far more aggressive than Hu Jintao and engineered the downfall of the populist Bo Xillai who favored western style governance.

A few Chinese expats of my acquaintance are very afraid of their government and are afraid that it will do something stupid just to show their power.

This is the same Chinese government whose former defense minister wrote a paper that said that the U.S. and Canada need to give up half their territory so China can establish its eastern provinces. A government like this is interested only in exercises of raw power and thinks that raw power can enforce stability.

Well, sounds very similar to US under their Manifest Destiny and its expansion to worldwide interests.
Or the Russians and their own manifestos.
Its all about interests and convenience in the political/economy structure of the world.

Cesar R M

I meant "tiresome" as far as what is the point of putting people on ignore only to take them off of ignore to read their posts? Kind of defeats the purpose?
not at all if you take into consideration that sometimes.. someone who we CAN read.. seems to write a completely logic-less comment or a post that makes no sense in the current stream of conversation. Then you wonder if they were replying to someone.

Taking someone off temporary (like "show hidden posts", which only lifts the ignores s for the current page) so you can understand what someone was talking about.

This happens sometimes when @WDW1974 replies to one of the "undesirables"'s posts.

Again.. you are missing how this works.

Often you just want to see what OTHERS are talking about because without context things can go awry... so you click the 'show ignored content' link and you see the context of the posts.. including what the ignored people said.

You make assumptions without much standing.

great minds..!
Didnt see you had replied the same I was going to say. sorry!

Every copycat manufacturer in China knocking off the product and selling it on the next street corner tomorrow.
well, its not like they're going to get any difference in quality.. right?
Its all made in china after all!

Cesar R M

That will happen roughly around the time Universal relinquishes the Marvel rights.

Not. Gonna. Happen!

For way too many reasons, one of which that China has still way too much to gain by keeping Disney on the hook and way too much to lose by so publicly screwing over a massive U.S. Corporation.

There is way too much xenophobia about China going on.

I don't doubt there are many things that can go wrong in this transaction, but stealing away the park in the middle of the night is not one of them.

And if I'm wrong (which no one in their right mind should hope for), you all might as well kiss future P&R investments goodbye.
hu.. hasnt China already let other companies outright "steal" big companies business and designs already?

PREMiERdrum

I never thought to check there! Thanks! I've been buying online but there is a Gordon's around the corner (their Midwest distribution warehouse is around the corner too). Thanks!

Get yourself a bag of kernels, a carton of Flavacol (green, cardboard carton like an old milk carton), and a jug of GFS popping oil. Less than $30 and they will last you forever (we're still working through our first purchase, which was almost a year ago!).

Funmeister

not at all if you take into consideration that sometimes.. someone who we CAN read.. seems to write a completely logic-less comment or a post that makes no sense in the current stream of conversation. Then you wonder if they were replying to someone.

Taking someone off temporary (like "show hidden posts", which only lifts the ignores s for the current page) so you can understand what someone was talking about.

This happens sometimes when @WDW1974 replies to one of the "undesirables"'s posts.

I understand what you are saying.

LOL Try this again. My point is why the person ignoring someone still engages with the person they ignored to begin with? If they found that person to be worthy enough to be placed on ignore why would they still engage? That is my point.

I understand what you are saying about seeing the thread because of a post being out of context blah, blah, blah...I get it. My point is not about how the system works. It is about a that continues to comment and like posts posted by someone they do not like enough to put on ignore. lol (No matter if there are replies or not)

It is clear you do not see what I am talking about so moving on...

flynnibus

Premium Member
What you say is correct...unless there was no reply to the post. Why would you take someone off of ignore to see "context" that does not exist? If there is no reply, yet he still makes a comment about your post, then what you are saying is incorrect.

*facepalm* - the 'show ignored content' is PER PAGE, not per post. You don't do it per post, when people start having weird stagements you don't understand... and you see the 'show ignored content' link... you may click it to see if the user you do read.. makes any more sense.

You sir...are making assumptions without knowing the full story. Please step down. Your ignorance on this specific instance is becoming apparent.

If you place someone on ignore because they know more about a topic than you do (and your feelings get hurt) why would you even reply to a response in context with the original post? lol You don't get it.

So you don't know how the feature works.. but want to lecture people on it... then you want to assume you know why people use ignore or not.. and why it should be permanent or not. I didn't realize there was a rule of the universe that says you have to listen to someone all of the time, or none of the time and nothing in between.

Great job dude... you continue to dig yourself deeper and deeper.

My point once again...why put someone on ignore if you are going to engage in their conversation regardless the context of the replies? lol Stupid.

I'm just going to leave this here... maybe you'll get it
639-but-so-does-45-the-way-you-do-things-is-not-al.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've mentioned this elsewhere but thought it deserved reposting in this thread since it did come up here several zillion posts ago.

Reports coming in about that other big finale effect that's been out of action.

Escape from Gringotts Kuka arm screen has apparently been replaced and is in show condition again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom