A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
Regardless of the features...it does not change his interest in knowing what people he ignored are saying. That was the point.

It shows he still has in interest in what people say even though he "ignores" them.

Again.. you are missing how this works.

Often you just want to see what OTHERS are talking about because without context things can go awry... so you click the 'show ignored content' link and you see the context of the posts.. including what the ignored people said.

You make assumptions without much standing.

BrianLo

So what happens exactly if TWDC and the Chinese Government have a complete falling out? Would China just claim breach of contact, take control of the park, and give it to a third party to run and operate as they see fit?

That would be really hilarious, and Disney would have no recourse, right?

That will happen roughly around the time Universal relinquishes the Marvel rights.

Not. Gonna. Happen!

For way too many reasons, one of which that China has still way too much to gain by keeping Disney on the hook and way too much to lose by so publicly screwing over a massive U.S. Corporation.

There is way too much xenophobia about China going on.

I don't doubt there are many things that can go wrong in this transaction, but stealing away the park in the middle of the night is not one of them.

And if I'm wrong (which no one in their right mind should hope for), you all might as well kiss future P&R investments goodbye.

lazyboy97o

What indications do you have that China is concerned about that list?
Research. Most of the world remains concerned about how the US views intellectual property regimes. China continues to make efforts regarding intellectual property (intellectual property is also an issue of industrial and post-industrial stability). The country is a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a signatory to many international treaties relating to intellectual property such as the Paris Convention and the Berne Convention. China is also a member of the World Trade Organization is therefore a party to the TRIPs Agreement. There is a dedicated court system that only handles issues of intellectual property. Hong Kong and Macau had issues with infringement until the rejoined China and were pressured by the Mainland because the Central Government wanted the SARs to be positioned as gateways for business.

Changing from a system of absolutely no personal and intellectual property to one with such concepts does not happen over night and China very gradually switched its economy, with different rules applying to different places. The socioeconomic status of many people and the fragmentation of a bureaucratic system of governance play far bigger roles in ongoing infringement than explicit allowances from the Central Government. Local business are also no longer just making goods for others, but producing their own goods that they too want protected.

Next Big Thing

By no means are Cedar Fair dealing with the same admission prices or attendance (although Canada's Wonderland gets up there considering the seasonality), but you have to really admire how they understand the proper investment cycle.

Canada's Wonderland is my 'home park' as it were. Every 4 years you get your big B&M E-ticket. Two years post E-ticket they introduce a D-ticket like Wonder Mountain. The odd years usually have something like waterslides, some sort of show or simple flat rides.

It happens like clock work... it's really not a hard concept. It was even happening under the old ownership, although the quality of the new offerings were questionable... but there has always been a new ride every single year!

Disney can barely match that pace across four parks. Why the business execs at Cedar Fair have figured this out and Disney hasn't is beyond me.

Because WDW isn't a park reliant on local draw as much.
Also, It's much easier to throw up a B&M or any ride that is just exposed steel than a fully themed ride (in and out).

Local parks like that NEED to add new rides every year to keep attendance up. WDW can get away with new additions every few years because of it's "destination" status.

PhotoDave219

Often you just want to see what OTHERS are talking about because without context things can go awry... so you click the 'show ignored content' link and you see the context of the posts.. including what the ignored people said.

You never click "show ignored content"… it just reminds you of why that person is on ignore in the first place.

I'm going to assume that somebody is crying like Glenn close in fatal attraction, screaming "I won't be ignored"?

Phil12

Yeah, Phil, or perhaps just pose fair questions? You know ... do their jobs?
This seems to be an important issue to you. May I suggest that instead of enlisting the minions to stir the pot, that you might want to peek out from your cloak of anonymity and contact reporters such as Ben Fritz and provide them with the unsubstantiated rumors, suspicions and questions you've raised here. The problem that I see is that your bias against all things Iger may work to undermine your veracity and creditability. Since you have close ties to the media industry it may be impossible for you to do such a thing since your motives would be questioned.

Mike S

Also, It's much easier to throw up a B&M or any ride that is just exposed steel than a fully themed ride (in and out).

Local parks like that NEED to add new rides every year to keep attendance up. WDW can get away with new additions every few years because of it's "destination" status.
Except he didn't say every year.
By no means are Cedar Fair dealing with the same admission prices or attendance (although Canada's Wonderland gets up there considering the seasonality), but you have to really admire how they understand the proper investment cycle.

Canada's Wonderland is my 'home park' as it were. Every 4 years you get your big B&M E-ticket. Two years post E-ticket they introduce a D-ticket like Wonder Mountain. The odd years usually have something like waterslides, some sort of show or simple flat rides.

It happens like clock work... it's really not a hard concept. It was even happening under the old ownership, although the quality of the new offerings were questionable... but there has always been a new ride every single year!

Disney can barely match that pace across four parks. Why the business execs at Cedar Fair have figured this out and Disney hasn't is beyond me.
Are you saying Disney is incapable of a new E Ticket every 4 years somewhere in WDW? I remember reading at one point their goal was one every 2-3 years (sounds like another theme park resort we know) and I'm positive that was under Eisner. It sure as heck isn't the goal under Iger.

PhotoDave219

Except he didn't say every year.

Are you saying Disney is incapable of a new E Ticket every 4 years somewhere in WDW? I remember reading at one point their goal was one every 2-3 years (sounds like another theme park resort we know) and I'm positive that was under Eisner. It sure as heck isn't the goal under Iger.

With the current management? Nope.

Next Big Thing

Oh, absolutely not. WDW could, should and used to add E-tickets at that pace at minimum. I didn't really read his post clear enough and just took what was implied by the other poster.

DHS and Epcot are in the worst shape imo easily, but even with as bad of shape as DHS is in, Epcot bothers me most. They have so much room to expand or just reopen closed buildings that they use for private events. But no, Epcot is literally just a money churning park that pushes alcohol wherever they can. Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks is still there and could be opened at any point to add extra capacity, but nope. The Body Wars building, Cranium Command, Innoventions West, Imagination 2nd floor. All shuttered. It's just an infuriating park.

Last edited:

Funmeister

What you say is correct...unless there was no reply to the post. Why would you take someone off of ignore to see "context" that does not exist? If there is no reply, yet he still makes a comment about your post, then what you are saying is incorrect.

You sir...are making assumptions without knowing the full story. Please step down. Your ignorance on this specific instance is becoming apparent.

If you place someone on ignore because they know more about a topic than you do (and your feelings get hurt) why would you even reply to a response in context with the original post? lol You don't get it.

My point once again...why put someone on ignore if you are going to engage in their conversation regardless the context of the replies? lol Stupid.

Shaman

And if I'm wrong (which no one in their right mind should hope for), you all might as well kiss future P&R investments goodbye.

Scary. The other crazy scenario is Disney could always sell off their majority stake in the US parks (if not completely get out of the game). Maybe even sell to the Chinese or a group like Genting? Long shot, sure. But wasn't there a rumor a while ago that the suits considered selling P&R?

Magenta Panther

Scary. The other crazy scenario is Disney could always sell off their majority stake in the US parks (if not completely get out of the game). Maybe even sell to the Chinese or a group like Genting? Long shot, sure. But wasn't there a rumor a while ago that the suits considered selling P&R?

Yeah, and lucky for Iger that didn't happen. "Iger Sells Disneyland To A Foreign Country" - what a great headline. He'd have been lynch-bait if he'd gone there. The fact that he even considered such a thing is the main reason I despise him.

Shaman

Yeah, and lucky for Iger that didn't happen. "Iger Sells Disneyland To A Foreign Country" - what a great headline. He'd have been lynch-bait if he'd gone there. The fact that he even considered such a thing is the main reason I despise him.

I suspect that will still happen at some point. Maybe not to a foreign company, and maybe they'll keep a small stake. The Marvel/IoA rumored talks proves that the Disney Co. stands more to gain harvesting licensing/usage fees at no cost/risk, than to continually invest in P&R with risk....Especially with all the IP they own.

Next Big Thing

Don't disagree with your general point, but the Food Rocks stage still exists, but the seating is gone, replaced by the queue for Soarin'. I don't think it could just be "reopened" on a whim.
lol, yeah, meant Food Rocks. And I didn't mean lets open it tomorrow, but something could be done. Move the stage to an area where it possible can be used/seen. It wouldn't be that costly in the scheme of things, however it would be looked at as not worth the effort and they'll just continue to let things waste away.

Funmeister

Oh, absolutely not. WDW could, should and used to add E-tickets at that pace at minimum. I didn't really read his post clear enough and just took what was implied by the other poster.

DHS and Epcot are in the worst shape imo easily, but even with as bad of shape as DHS is in, Epcot bothers me most. They have so much room to expand or just reopen closed buildings that they use for private events. But no, Epcot is literally just a money churning park that pushes alcohol wherever they can. Kitchen Kabaret is still there and could be opened at any point to add extra capacity, but nope. The Body Wars building, Cranium Command, Innoventions West, Imagination 2nd floor. All shuttered. It's just an infuriating park.

Funny you mentioned Kitchen Kabaret. Not sure if this is still the case but for some reason a few of the audio-animatronics (Egg & Ham) were being stored inside the Haunted Mansion for a while. Not sure if it was for parts or what but always thought that was strange.

PhotoDave219

Don't disagree with your general point, but the Food Rocks stage still exists, but the seating is gone, replaced by the queue for Soarin'. I don't think it could just be "reopened" on a whim.

DHS and Epcot are in the worst shape imo easily, but even with as bad of shape as DHS is in, Epcot bothers me most. They have so much room to expand or just reopen closed buildings that they use for private events. But no, Epcot is literally just a money churning park that pushes alcohol wherever they can. Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks is still there and could be opened at any point to add extra capacity, but nope. The Body Wars building, Cranium Command, Innoventions West, Imagination 2nd floor. All shuttered. It's just an infuriating park.

You're going to need to go back to your sources on this one… Food rocks is entirely gone. It's just an empty space now.

Nubs70

Where are you at? I'm in the extreme southeastern corner of WI. It's the capital for grocery distribution warehouses: Gordon, Meijer, Roundy's Allied Foods, all have their distribution centers in our town.

If the zombie apocalypse ever comes - I know where we need to camp out! Sustinence! :)
I live in one the burbs on the SW side of Grand Rapids, MI. It's also home base for Meijers. Funny note on Gordon's, growing up my neighbors owned Gordon's when it was a family run enterprise then sold it and it has grown into what it is now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom