A Spirited Perfect Ten

Progress.City

Apparently this and the one I saw are part of a series representing man's colonization of space. It's the second in the series I really like.
http://io9.com/5895872/flag-designs-for-earth--the-solar-system-in-2020-and-beyond
That was an interesting read, but nothing ever quite happens the way we predict. Try as we might, the future is always unpredictable. According to Arthur C. Clark, we would have had airplanes that flew to orbital space stations that spun to create artificial gravity that would have supported hundreds of people, a moon colony, talking computers with artificial intelligence, and video phone by 2001. He was way off.

In 2015, we have an international space station that cost $100 billion to build and two decades to complete that does not support artificial gravity, transport to the moon or beyond low earth orbit, and a maximum permanent residence of just seven astronauts. It was built in part by NASA's space shuttle that cost billions to fly and operate, was anything but routine, not very safe to fly, did not take off vertically (as 1960's futurists predicted), and has been since retired. Today, we use the Russian Soyuz to send three astronauts at a time to the ISS, which is technology essentially that hasn't changed since the Apollo days. The new U.S. Orion spacecraft that is planned to take astronauts to deep space has a design which is evolved from the 1960's Apollo capsul, but modified to for greater human capacity and endurance. It will land with a parachute splash in the water like Apollo did.

In real life 2001, people's computers running Windows Millenium kept crashing. In sharp contrast, 1960's futurists predicted computer robots would replace the maid and do your windows. In 2015, we still don't have HAL but we do have SIRI.

No one could have predicted the Internet. However, in one moderately successful film of the 1980's, the vision of the Internet was crystal clear. That movie was Robocop.

No one could have predicted cell phone, but Gene Roddenberry practically invented the flip phone! Do you know what else Roddenberry predicted and no one ever give him credit for? The tablet PC! Yup, in the original Star Trek series, they had a thin touchscreen computer they carried around. Do you remember what they called it? P.A.D.

One last bit. Finally, today in 2015, we have the technology for video calls in every phone. Problem is there was no single standard and all devices could not make video calls to all other devices hooked up on to different carriers. This year, all new cell phone models come with a new standard that all carriers are adapting that allows video, HD voice, and other data services to connect indiscriminately between different hardware manufacturers and carriers. The standard is called VOLTE (Voice Over LTE). The roll-out is slow. Not all carriers are using it yet and not all features work yet between hardware brands. My carrier (Verizon) has it but they have it turned off as a default and the video function defaults to FaceTime for the time being on iPhones.

TP2000

Looks like they fixed the Yeti for the Matterhorn but for the wrong park. Disneyland's Yeti was just fine and now they added something similar to whats at Expedition Everest.

WARNING: Disneyland Geekery And Cranky Old Man Syndrome Ahead

So, the Mattehorn Bobsleds doesn't have a Yeti. The Matterhorn Bobsleds, since 1978, has had an Abominable Snowman. (Actually three of them)

The concept of a wilderness or mountain monster transcends many cultures, but it's the same creature. The ancient Salish Indians of what is now Oregon called it Sasquatch, and 20th century Oregonians dubbed it Bigfoot. The natives of Nepal called it Yeti (thus the name for Expedition Everest). The Japanese called it Hibagon. The Swedes had one, the Chinese, etc.

But in 1921 a British writer dubbed the creature "Abominable Snowman", and by the 1930's that's what Europeans were calling it. When the Matterhorn got its big upgrade in 1978, the Abominable Snowman arrived in Anaheim. That's what Disneyland press material has always called it. Although the CM's who operate the original E Ticket attraction call him "Harold". The phrase "Yeti" didn't enter the Disney lexicon until 2006 when Expedition Everest, and as that's themed to the Himalayas and Nepalese culture, that's the proper name for that creature in that attraction.

But in Anaheim, it's a Swiss mountain with an Abominable Snowman. ;)

PREMiERdrum

It's family, and if it's a party with the littles, they LOVE it...I can't charge for its use. :angelic:

We bought one of these (like you, used) for my son's circus-themed birthday party last summer. We get all our supplies (kernels, Flavacol, oil, and boxes) at Gordon Food Service. The popcorn tastes sooo much better, and the pricing is so much cheaper than buying the packets. You can adjust the amounts of oil and flavacol, too, to suit your tastes.

Kman101

Not meaning to stir up a Uni vs. Disney debate with this comment, but I have an observation and I'm piggy-backing your comment.

TSPL is pretty equivalent to Springfield in my books. I actually think TSPL in HK (not DLP) might be my personal pick for the best between the two. The food is more enticing with Springfield, but the execution is definitely not as consistent.

They are both photogenic enough for the average tourist and the average tourist seems to really enjoy both.

Neither of them are 'excellent' lands however...

I find it funny that the former (Springfield) seems to be earning all sorts of praise, while the later is an example of Disney phoning it in. The only problem is TSPL lacks a headliner, but the incoming TSMM negates that concern somewhat.

I'm always pages and pages behind so this probably isn't even still relevant, but I completely agree with you. I think Uni Hollywood did a slightly better job with Springfield because of the backdrop, and I love the Simpsons, Uni did a great job, but I don't quite understand the intense praise for it.

the.dreamfinder

Some more photos of the Disney Store opening via Weibo.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For it's purpose it has absolutely fine execution. To a child it seems realistic and fun. It isn't for our entertainment it is for theirs. I haven't seen the DL version, but, I know from my own experience with my own children, they were so proud of themselves for getting drive just like mom and dad does. It needs nothing more then what it is.
Except perhaps electric powered cars ...

Goofyernmost

Nothing about a more fleshed out experience pushes away five year old riders. Disneyland was a reaction against vicarious enjoyment.
I guess that there aren't all that many 5 year olds that heavy into your type of fantasy. They at this point in time get more enjoyment out of experiencing something that is closer to reality. That is fun for them. For you they can build a little plasticized village of bright colored buildings and distorted contours. So along those same words you used, nothing about a fleshed out experience draws in more five year old riders either or really adds to their enjoyment of it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Instability is the biggest threat to the primacy of the state and party. Maoism and Marxist-Leninism are poor constructs because Mao was incredibly destabilizing and Marx viewed history as moving towards a goal, one without a state. Scheming to screw over Disney and then doing it is a destabilizing action. It is a momentary display of power with bigger long term consequences.

Currently the CCP is composed of incredibly hawkish men who feel the west is not giving China sufficient face on the world stage Xi Jinping is far more aggressive than Hu Jintao and engineered the downfall of the populist Bo Xillai who favored western style governance.

A few Chinese expats of my acquaintance are very afraid of their government and are afraid that it will do something stupid just to show their power.

This is the same Chinese government whose former defense minister wrote a paper that said that the U.S. and Canada need to give up half their territory so China can establish its eastern provinces. A government like this is interested only in exercises of raw power and thinks that raw power can enforce stability.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, they could do that as long as it still had realistic sounding sound effects that still made it sound like a real car and a real engine. Without that the 5 mile an hour pace would even put a child to sleep.

Actually with sound effects the kids could choose their engine sound which would make it even more fun I think

lazyboy97o

I guess that there aren't all that many 5 year olds that heavy into your type of fantasy. They at this point in time get more enjoyment out of experiencing something that is closer to reality. That is fun for them. For you they can build a little plasticized village of bright colored buildings and distorted contours. So along those same words you used, nothing about a fleshed out experience draws in more five year old riders either or really adds to their enjoyment of it.
If the kids are too stupid to appreciate anything then why waste the money dragging them to the Magic Kingdom in the first place?

lazyboy97o

Currently the CCP is composed of incredibly hawkish men who feel the west is not giving China sufficient face on the world stage Xi Jinping is far more aggressive than Hu Jintao and engineered the downfall of the populist Bo Xillai who favored western style governance.

A few Chinese expats of my acquaintance are very afraid of their government and are afraid that it will do something stupid just to show their power.

This is the same Chinese government whose former defense minister wrote a paper that said that the U.S. and Canada need to give up half their territory so China can establish its eastern provinces. A government like this is interested only in exercises of raw power and thinks that raw power can enforce stability.
Talking about projecting power isn't the same as actually doing it.

Iwerks64

I thought 5 year olds got more enjoyment out of a cardboard box.:p

Iwerks64

Yes, they could do that as long as it still had realistic sounding sound effects that still made it sound like a real car and a real engine. Without that the 5 mile an hour pace would even put a child to sleep.

The electric cars at HKDL have a very cool onboard audio that plays a futuristic, space ship sound put-put engine noise (hard to describe). The YouTube ride videos don't really do it justice, but it fits very well with the futuristic look of the cars (that actually fit with Tomorrowland).

ABQ

Every copycat manufacturer in China knocking off the product and selling it on the next street corner tomorrow.
Good luck preventing that, I would guess 80-99% of everything sold in that store was manufactured in China, they can just go right to the source for knockoffs.
<SARCASM> Which raises the question, is the same spinny light up Buzz Lightyear or Tinkerbell toy made in China that sells for 19 dollars at WDW just 5 dollars in the China store? I mean, locally made, not shipped over seas, shouldn't they still make a huge margin profit but sell for much, much less? </SARCASM>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom