A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

Looks like they fixed the Yeti for the Matterhorn but for the wrong park. Disneyland's Yeti was just fine and now they added something similar to whats at Expedition Everest.

If the swiping motion is what caused such a problem, why can't they make a new figure with motion like that? Boggles my mind how long this has been allowed to sit..............

WDW1974

Original Poster
Almost makes you wonder if he was a minion of Willows.

Doesn't it, though?

Can you blame the kid/ 20 years old ... clearly wants a media/entertainment job. Should he be a bulldog reporter and go for hard questioning the head of his school? Or should he be a lapdog and gently say he has heard something and ask Willow how she thinks he should 'handle' it?

I'm 99% sure of what was said and what that likely means for his future. He leveraged the situation to his advantage. That's what people do.

Cesar R M

The WDW Speedway did test an electric car around four-five years ago. Money was the factor, no Disney property appropriate to foot the bill or no sponsorship.

It's cool that it's one of the few Bob Gurr designed ride vehicles still in use at Magic Kingdom, but I think by this point even he would say there's better alternatives than using combustion engines.

The ones at HKDL are really smart, they have a proximity sensor and will disable the vehicle if it approaches the rear of another. Track design is more at home with Autopia in California - compact and detailed.

I think the disdane for our version comes from the fact that it hasn't seen a major change since it opened. Sure there have been minor modifications to the track and very slight thematic changes after the 1994 land refresh. Trackside it's just very sparse. There's no charm to it. No thought to the landscaping at all.
I'm still facepalming at how Disney ALWAYS seem to want a sponsor for everything. Even with sponsors they let attractions rot..
21d.jpg

WDW1974

Original Poster
There's some rumblings that both Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor have exclusivity for HKDL for some time period, so that might explain why there are no plans to clone them to other parks worldwide.

That is true. BUT ... they are the de facto versions of Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion. Where exactly do you see an opening for them anywhere?

SDL's first expansion will likely feature a version of Everest, so that's the added coaster. And there are no plans to replicate Mansion there at this time.

Mike S

Iwerks64

I've been told there's room for an attraction in the castle (a la DL) and room for two additional dark rides in Fantasyland, but they aren't in current plans. Not sure about what you are speaking of. I know Fantasyland has some construction going on for additional meet-greet-and-gropes. But that is small scale.

Yes, more M&G was confirmed by @BrianLo. This I just don't get. There's the huge Fantasy Gardens MG&G area that is never crowded. At all. Why build more? The M&Gs are not mob scenes like at WDW. Anna & Elsa were out in the castle court and no run really even cared. Why waste dedicated space for a princess M&G?

I have some concerns, but I've got to believe that behavior will be governed. I recall hearing how bad it would be in Beijing in 2008 and there was a major governmental campaign to stop the behavior. It was barely seen in the entire city. If Disney and the locals don't want that behavior then it won't be tolerated. If either or both don't care, then we'll have some ugliness there.

Well, they certainly don't seem to care at the Shanghai zoo. I was at the World's fair in Shanghai in 2010. Luckily, I had a personal tour and VIP access to pavilions by my government "handlers", so I didn't get to see much of the public areas. What I did see was clean and organized though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ugh - you just ruined my date night movie of choice w/my hubz this Saturday. Any suggestions from anyone about a movie that is better? I (and he) were excited for Avengers. Now not so much.

I hope I didn't ruin it. If you enjoyed the first, then you'll enjoy this one (but very likely no more) ... if you didn't really like it, then I'd see something else. But I couldn't tell you what since I've been unable to make it to the movies this year until mid-May!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's a news posting locally from about 8:30a in Shanghai on the store opening.

http://www.ecns.cn/business/2015/05-20/165988.shtml

Oh look, no picture of Bob. Quotes from Paul Candland (who I thought was in Japan?)

Here's a bunch of pictures from yesterday with people going in and out of the store:

http://english.eastday.com/picshow/show7/150519Disney/index.html
[/QUOTE]

Where oh where do you think Bob and Tom were/are? Why in the world is the entire financial press ignoring what's right in front of their effing faces? We just flat out might as well be living in China ... or even worse, North Korea, right now because I don't see a free press doing its collective job. ...And if they're letting this slip by, what things of much, much greater import to us all are they ignoring? Very scary!

WDW1974

Original Poster
A final story and post of the night. Here's Bloomberg trying to craft a story, but just doing PR for Disney, even going as far as using a quote from Bob (MIA in Shanghai) from May 5th.

Again, do any of these reporters ask/demand a quote that is fresh. They KNOW Tom and Bob are there. Why aren't they giving quotes? What's the deal? It would be nice if we could get just 25 people from here to email people at Disney, like fan favorite Zenia Mucha and ask what's going on? It won't happen because people are either disinterested or afraid. But it would be nice ... of course, the fan community could do great things and could bring about changes, major changes, if they ever decided to focus on something important.

Can you be more impotent than Robert A. Iger is right now? And no one gives a flying f---.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...first-mainland-china-retail-store-in-shanghai

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom