A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cosmic Commando

You don't have to (I believe) pay Apple a royalty to make an iPhone case... why would you have to pay Disney a royalty to make a sticker that happens to be the right size for a MB? If that other guy was using characters, then that's probably the reason he got a C&D. Disney would probably have a case that calling his for-profit "WDW Radio" would create the illusion of being an official company product and create confusion among consumers, but that ship has probably sailed...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just had some interesting information cross my cyber-desk as the sun rises on a Monday -- but not just any Monday for Robert A. Iger and The Walt Disney Company -- in the Far East.

Thanks to a kind stranger (yet one who has been thoroughly vetted) I have the week's plans for the Iger/Burbank Delegation in China as they attempt to open what's billed as the world's largest Disney Store (I'm thinking chain store here and not World of Disney size), premiere Tomorrowland (in a country where star George Clooney has been an outspoken critic of the Chinese leadership and their human rights record) and do a site tour/staged event out at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort.

Now, I could simply place it all out here. I don't get the idea my source cares one bit if it gets traced back to them, and it is sure to at this point. But I'd rather just wait ... and see, see just how bad the relationship between Disney/Iger and Shendi/the CCP really is at this juncture. Because it sure seems like Disney is going to need a miracle from Walt to pull this one off -- looking like Disney has ANY say or control of 'its' resort in the mainland.

So, I'm going to wait and see what happens ... it should be very telling, as if the past six years haven't been.
Right now, Disney's own advance team isn't being allowed access to the SDL site at all (you'll never read that in the WSJ -- please, someone here send an email to Ben Fritz. Not that he'll do anything, but it's always good to know you called someone out on being in the pocket of the company they cover.) after Disney's ABC News division sent a crew to the resort this week (pre-arranged) to get footage and interviews for the big 'coming out week' and was summarily sent packing in a very hostile fashion.

Expo_Seeker40

Just had some interesting information cross my cyber-desk as the sun rises on a Monday -- but not just any Monday for Robert A. Iger and The Walt Disney Company -- in the Far East.

Thanks to a kind stranger (yet one who has been thoroughly vetted) I have the week's plans for the Iger/Burbank Delegation in China as they attempt to open what's billed as the world's largest Disney Store (I'm thinking chain store here and not World of Disney size), premiere Tomorrowland (in a country where star George Clooney has been an outspoken critic of the Chinese leadership and their human rights record) and do a site tour/staged event out at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort.

Now, I could simply place it all out here. I don't get the idea my source cares one bit if it gets traced back to them, and it is sure to at this point. But I'd rather just wait ... and see, see just how bad the relationship between Disney/Iger and Shendi/the CCP really is at this juncture. Because it sure seems like Disney is going to need a miracle from Walt to pull this one off -- looking like Disney has ANY say or control of 'its' resort in the mainland.

So, I'm going to wait and see what happens ... it should be very telling, as if the past six years haven't been.
Right now, Disney's own advance team isn't being allowed access to the SDL site at all (you'll never read that in the WSJ -- please, someone here send an email to Ben Fritz. Not that he'll do anything, but it's always good to know you called someone out on being in the pocket of the company they cover.) after Disney's ABC News division sent a crew to the resort this week (pre-arranged) to get footage and interviews for the big 'coming out week' and was summarily sent packing in a very hostile fashion.

They placed themselves in a situation that's almost like uncharted territory. Had only they taken the time to see how other western companies deal w China, I think Disney would be in a far better relationship than the strained ties it currently has with Shendi.

BrianLo

Well at least it should be an exciting news week, maybe for the wrong reasons.

I'm also thanking my lucky stars that my DLR visit somehow falls after So-Cal passes are blocked, the life-stylers should have crawled back to the swamps and thankfully in between Grad Nights... talk is those have been particularly annoying this year for anyone older than 18.

PhotoDave219

Gonna be a fun week.

the.dreamfinder

jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

Mike S

THISGONBGUD.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Shoutout to Zenia Mucha:

It would seem that Bob Iger's muscle and mouth is a large part of the problems that Disney is encountering in China. Would you actually believe that people in power there simply don't like the woman?

Well, they really, really, really don't like her. But, please, fanbois, don't tell her that when you hang out with her in August at the D23 Expo (she'll be there in the back with Iger's $1 million plus a year security detail). At this point, they just let her in the country because it is easier than not doing so.

But since her voice and her machinations are seen by Shendi as de facto Bob Iger, she has become a huge liability. This isn't New York politics. It's not Hollywood politics either. And she is waaaay out of her league. People in leadership never thought much of Bob because he comes off as a white-bread (dare I say vanilla?) manager and managers are replaceable. He's not a character like a Michael Eisner or a Sumner Redstone or a Rupert Murdoch and while he wants the stage, it just doesn't seem like he belongs on it (sort of like @Lee singing heavy metal instead of showtunes ... not natural!)

More than anything, she perpetuates the 'tone deafness' of the WDC in its dealings over there. When Shendi ... or should I say, the CCP? ... makes a decision over there she does not get that it is made. Final. Not open to debate. Right or wrong. Good or bad. Her 'difficult' persona, which may work like a charm when intimidating media into ignoring stories in the US press or Anaheim officials into keeping quiet about Disney's role as a giant slum-lord in the city, isn't scary at all to party officials. She is ignored. She is irrelevant.

So, you know what that makes Bob (because Zenia is the one with the balls in the relationship). She is Bob. And if she is ignored and irrelevant ... c'mon, I don't have to connect those dots for you, do I?

Many people view her as a problem over there, but in truth (and not to be fair to the woman because I can't stand her) that's a brutal oversimplification of the depth of the problems Disney is having over there. As I write this, knowing that Bob Iger was originally was planning on cutting the ribbon to SDL about now and not a retail outpost, it boggles the mind to think that a castle park and two modest hotels and a small shopping district will take over five years from groundbreaking to welcoming its first Guest ... all in a country where massive cities are built in less time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some of it will definitely go. Based on the plans posted in the other thread it looks like a row of individual single story buildings directly along the waterfront on both sides of WL. There does not appear to be any units on the current sand beachfront area. There will obviously be a loss of trees where the new buildings go in, but they may not be highly visible from the actual WL if they keep the rest of the trees in place between the new buildings and the lodge itself. it will probably have more of a visual impact from the water approaching the lodge vs from the lodge looking out into the woods if that makes any sense.

I am VERY worried about the trees that buffer the current Villas from Bay Lake. I don't want the Villas to suddenly have lake views. And I love that pool. If I were the type of Spirit who would simply drive over to a resort and illegally and immorally steal pool use without paying for it, then you can be sure that is where I would do so. Those trees need to stay and the cabins can go in between the current Villas Pool and the beach.

Talked to Angie a while ago and she is sorta regretting our purchase of points there. I am trying to talk her down. But we were planning on staying there for Christmas (well, early December) of 2016 and now she is worried about it being a massive construction zone a la the Poly of late. I suppose we could go to Aulani instead ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They placed themselves in a situation that's almost like uncharted territory. Had only they taken the time to see how other western companies deal w China, I think Disney would be in a far better relationship than the strained ties it currently has with Shendi.

I would not call the relationship 'strained', SHENDI got EXACTLY what they wanted from TWDC, Funding and expertise, Now that the resort is about to open TWDC will be sent packing for some alleged 'contractural violation'.

It's going to take a lot of popcorn as this plays itself out

WDW1974

Original Poster
Time to bring some closure:

So Disney has reached back out to me today. I was out at lunch with my momma so I missed the call, but she left a VM, which was immediately followed up by an e-mail. Thumbs up at making a conscience effort to make sure I was contacted.

So I spoke with Emily and she was very apologetic. Not so much at the status of the towels or bed sheets, but how poorly the front desk didn't react to the issue. I told her I understood that mistakes happen, but the lack of empathy is what bothered me the most. She agreed and made sure to let me know that not only will they let the front desk aware of this issue, but the Head of Housekeeping as well.

Emily understood that it was my honeymoon and as a way to have a "do-over", she offered me a free night stay at the Polynesian or any Deluxe on property. I definitely wasn't expecting that, or seeking that, but I'm not opposed to giving them a 2nd chance.

So Kudos to Emily who take care of this issue with great care. She was very understanding and made sure she drove the point that this isn't the "Disney Experience" they want represented.

So props to Disney, a great way to recover the initial fumble.

Do I think Disney handled your situation the right way? Largely. Although not taking blame for the unacceptable linens is a concern.

But I don't think they treated you just like anyone else. I think they treated you as the webmaster of a major site dedicated to O-Town theme parks. And I will guarantee you that they knew exactly who you were/are just as I know that this post is being read by multiple people in the company (and I don't mean first shift EPCOT custodial here).

You could have done damage to the company, and it didn't require them to do much of anything to make you happy (a free night only costs in accounting, not reality). They did.

lazyboy97o

I would not call the relationship 'strained', SHENDI got EXACTLY what they wanted from TWDC, Funding and expertise, Now that the resort is about to open TWDC will be sent packing for some alleged 'contractural violation'.

It's going to take a lot of popcorn as this plays itself out
This still makes no sense. There was no reason to go through the hassle of getting Disney involved just to kick them to the curb. There are plenty of people out there with the expertise to be hired. That's how stuff like Chime-long Ocean Kingdom get built (and designed in St. Louis).

PhotoDave219

Spirited Shoutout to Zenia Mucha:

It would seem that Bob Iger's muscle and mouth is a large part of the problems that Disney is encountering in China. Would you actually believe that people in power there simply don't like the woman?

Well, they really, really, really don't like her. But, please, fanbois, don't tell her that when you hang out with her in August at the D23 Expo (she'll be there in the back with Iger's $1 million plus a year security detail). At this point, they just let her in the country because it is easier than not doing so.

But since her voice and her machinations are seen by Shendi as de facto Bob Iger, she has become a huge liability. This isn't New York politics. It's not Hollywood politics either. And she is waaaay out of her league. People in leadership never thought much of Bob because he comes off as a white-bread (dare I say vanilla?) manager and managers are replaceable. He's not a character like a Michael Eisner or a Sumner Redstone or a Rupert Murdoch and while he wants the stage, it just doesn't seem like he belongs on it (sort of like @Lee singing heavy metal instead of showtunes ... not natural!)

More than anything, she perpetuates the 'tone deafness' of the WDC in its dealings over there. When Shendi ... or should I say, the CCP? ... makes a decision over there she does not get that it is made. Final. Not open to debate. Right or wrong. Good or bad. Her 'difficult' persona, which may work like a charm when intimidating media into ignoring stories in the US press or Anaheim officials into keeping quiet about Disney's role as a giant slum-lord in the city, isn't scary at all to party officials. She is ignored. She is irrelevant.

So, you know what that makes Bob (because Zenia is the one with the balls in the relationship). She is Bob. And if she is ignored and irrelevant ... c'mon, I don't have to connect those dots for you, do I?

Many people view her as a problem over there, but in truth (and not to be fair to the woman because I can't stand her) that's a brutal oversimplification of the depth of the problems Disney is having over there. As I write this, knowing that Bob Iger was originally was planning on cutting the ribbon to SDL about now and not a retail outpost, it boggles the mind to think that a castle park and two modest hotels and a small shopping district will take over five years from groundbreaking to welcoming its first Guest ... all in a country where massive cities are built in less time.

I guess the biggest thing to take away from this is the sheer arrogance that comes out of Glendale. Do they think the Chinese will be awed by a few rides and a castle? No, the Chinese have culture dating back to before time itself. They have history and then some. Dynasties that lasted hundreds of years, making the life span of the mouse a simple beat of a hummingbird's wing.

None of us are rooting for Disney to fail in China. None of us are rooting for Disney to fail at anything.

Where I personally have the problem is with how they do business. The sheer arrogance of the mentality is where I have a problem. And it goes beyond China; its how they treat all guests. The idea that "the guests will always come" has set themselves up to fail. They view guests as a commodity that needs to be milked dry. They've lost their core ideals of guest service just to increase a profit margin.

They no longer simply do the right thing because its the right thing to do.

For China, they've completely misread the culture they're heading into. Which is a very dangerous thing for the stock price and to the Board of Directors. Bob messes this up and his entire regime may fall. Him, Staggs, Rasulo & company may fall (or be marganalized) should the stock take a giant hit. The Board of Directors needs to step in and fix this problem..... or be prepared to find a new management team should the worst happen.

Such are my thoughts anyways.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The show at La Jolla Playhouse was breathtaking. Disney could not reach an agreement with Actor's Equity on how to handle the show's choir (they are not Equity performers and Disney didn't want to pay them as such). Combine that with lukewarm reviews at Paper Mill in NJ, and the show is currently on ice. Very disappointing.

I believe Eisner referred to it as one of, if not his favorite Disney animated films. Maybe that explains why Bob Iger hates it so much (or so I'm told). It's a small miracle Disney Theatrical was able to get it off of the ground with Bob's hatred of all things Quasimodo.

Disney hasn't put out one film that is even in Hunchback's league since Iger took over. I'd have made a special trip to see it on Broadway or West End. I won't be rushing to see Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom