A Spirited Perfect Ten

Travel Junkie

How did the 'chosen one' narrative play out for those of you who have seen it? While you can't judge a film on the marketing, that choice did raise some red flags for me.

Cliché. Casey is the least interesting character in the movie to me which is a problem since she is the lead. There were a lot of interesting directions they could have gone with what is a pretty cool concept and they took the easy way out. One of my biggest problems is that it could have been ambitious but they played it safe. Kind of like current Disney. They sort of tip their toes into the deep end, but don’t jump.

NearTheEars

Negative, Ghostrider. This is for real.

Apparently they are Magic Band covers that are available with your support of just $10/month. 184 patrons give $3448 a month..... Which is a nifty income of $41k/yr.

Yep, he's been producing those stickers for a few months now.

Didn't some other lifestyler have to yank their unofficial covers from the market?

I don't mind Lou as much as some do, but I've said before that his upcharge club makes me feel a little uneasy.

PhotoDave219

I have a friend on the Transatlantic cruise. I am very curious to hear her impressions of how they handled that!

Cruises have never been an interest to me. Being trapped on a boat with hundreds of out of control kids and knowing Disney, no enforced "adults only" zones... It is pretty much my definition of torture. Plus, I have moral objections to the way they staff the boats.

The "Adults Only" zones are ruthlessly enforced, according to some friends who cruise regularly.

Quinnmac000

I'm not shocked by the mixed reviews....ever since The Incredibles and people pushed the Ayn Rand"s philosophy onto Brad Bird works, its kinda been sticking and people are looking for it on purpose with Tomorrowland.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The "Adults Only" zones are ruthlessly enforced, according to some friends who cruise regularly.

Not really... Its unavoidable for kids to be moving through the adult pool area on the new ships. But ive not really seen them linger much. The family pool also overlooks the adult area which is rather quirky.

When it comes to the club areas... After hours youll never see a child.

PhotoDave219

Not really... Its unavoidable for kids to be moving through the adult pool area on the new ships. But ive not really seen them linger much. The family pool also overlooks the adult area which is rather quirky.

When it comes to the club areas... After hours youll never see a child.

Okay, you're near me right?

So I went to the movies down in Gainesville (66&29) and the amount of children in the Mad Max film was more horrifying than anything I saw on screen. I don't get why children must always be incorporated with adult activities.

PhotoDave219

Tell that to Disney marketing. They've been playing it up in the most recent trailers, which have been attached to many big recent releases like Age of Ultron.

I've been back-channeling to some friends about SW:Ep7 and basically saying "Thats all the trailer you'll ever need".....

This new breed of marketing people, they really suck. Is that what they teach these kids in school these days? That if you do enough blow and vodka that you can just give away the whole movie?

the.dreamfinder

I've been back-channeling to some friends about SW:Ep7 and basically saying "Thats all the trailer you'll ever need".....

This new breed of marketing people, they really suck. Is that what they teach these kids in school these days? That if you do enough blow and vodka that you can just give away the whole movie?
We can talk all night about why modern movie marketing sucks, but the biggest problem, as I see it, is this obsession with metrics and trying to up your numbers. Revealing too much in the marketing with too many trailers is a big part of this. On your point with "The Force Awakens", you've been given the film's tone and that's frankly all you need. Less is more. If the film is good, sell the audience on the feel of the film, not plot points or sequences that should be kept for the paying guests. A couple perfect examples are the teasers for "Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo". You've got all you need.

hopemax

The Magic had a different sort of impediment: namely huge chunks of ice in the north Atlantic that made safety (DCL didn't want its own Titanic, even if Disney would have synergized it to death!) an issue. So, after being the priciest eastbound Transatlantic cruise Disney has ever offered because of scheduled stops in Canada and, more importantly, Iceland, the Magic had to cancel calls on Halifax (I believe) and Iceland (completely). I've been told that the Magic was making an unscheduled stop in Norway (the first for the line) instead of Iceland.

This cruise was very coveted by DCL regulars due to the different itinerary, which also included a stop in NYC.
I had interest in taking this cruise until I looked at the pricing.

I take it then, there were never any CM discounts. We took the very first Trans-Atlantic cruise, and since no one knew the appeal, they practically gave it away. It seemed, like every 2 weeks my Mom was calling to get re-booked at a cheaper and cheaper price. When the itinerary for this one was released, we were going to go. But then cancer, so we never kept up with the price. We do have friends that went, so it will be interesting to hear what they thought when they get back.

lazyboy97o

We can talk all night about why modern movie marketing sucks, but the biggest problem, as I see it, is this obsession with metrics and trying to up your numbers. Revealing too much in the marketing with too many trailers is a big part of this. On your point with "The Force Awakens", you've been given the film's tone and that's frankly all you need. Less is more. If the film is good, sell the audience on the feel of the film, not plot points or sequences that should be kept for the paying guests. A couple perfect examples are the teasers for "Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo". You've got all you need.

Are Pixar's initial teasers still unique creations never intended for the film?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay, you're near me right?

So I went to the movies down in Gainesville (66&29) and the amount of children in the Mad Max film was more horrifying than anything I saw on screen. I don't get why children must always be incorporated with adult activities.

Raise them to be tough! :)
I thought about taking my 12yr old who i am trying to form into mini-me... But opted to stay in tonight.

Just make sure the teens around you arent turning their trucks into mad max look alikes :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom