A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Spirited Sea Musing:

Wouldn't want to have been on the current voyages of the Wonder through the Panama Canal (same cruise Angie and I did a year ago -- yes, time truly does fly even if you're not having fun!) or the Magic across the Atlantic.

I also wouldn't want to be the Disney reps who are going to be getting a lot of demands for freebies, money off current and future cruises and the like.

Why?

Both the Wonder and the Magic haven't been able to sail their scheduled itineraries due to circumstances beyond their control.

The Wonder couldn't make it's regularly scheduled stop in Puerto Vallarta (home of my beloved Cassandra) due to some major violence between a local drug cartel and the authorities that, apparently, included shooting down a police helicopter with a stinger missile and starting fires at places like gas stations. None of this violence has been near the tourist areas, but Disney as well as other lines have decided to not stop. Carnival made a regularly scheduled stop there this week. Will be interesting to see if the Wonder does its regular schedule of stops there this fall when it is homeported in San Diego.

Originally, the day was changed to a sea day, but since heard they stopped somewhere in Guatemala instead.

The Magic had a different sort of impediment: namely huge chunks of ice in the north Atlantic that made safety (DCL didn't want its own Titanic, even if Disney would have synergized it to death!) an issue. So, after being the priciest eastbound Transatlantic cruise Disney has ever offered because of scheduled stops in Canada and, more importantly, Iceland, the Magic had to cancel calls on Halifax (I believe) and Iceland (completely). I've been told that the Magic was making an unscheduled stop in Norway (the first for the line) instead of Iceland.

This cruise was very coveted by DCL regulars due to the different itinerary, which also included a stop in NYC.
I had interest in taking this cruise until I looked at the pricing.
Hello, I live in puerto Vallarta.

The incidents was for a single day.
Where narcs retaliated in the Labour Day by setting fire to 4 closed banks and 2 PEMEX stations.

The take down of the helicopter was not in Puerto Vallarta... that was pretty far.
And you want to know why? the Mexican authorities failed MISERABLY in their "operation" to detain a well known narc.

and they retaliated.

Interestingly, Puerto Vallarta as another tourist town NEXT to it.. where there was NO VIOLENCE in the minimum. Nuevo Vallarta was untouched.

I honestly believe things will get hotter in PVR in the next months. Because the Mex forces are setting up military grade (which conveniently the Mexican forces bought from the US) buggies, humvees and transport vehicles (with heavy machineguns) stationed in major towns in the Jalisco state.

Also, Bonus rumours.
Many people who claim to be nearby when the helicopter wast taken down.
They said 3 other helicopters were taken down as well, All by advanced RPGs (stingers I think) and heavy machineguns mounted in trucks.
I wouldn't be surprised if the MEX government, told the PRI controlled (ruling party) TV stations to block anything about this.

Hmmm... I am curious if they stopped in Manzanillo, Mexico. That was one of the nicest, sleepiest places to stop on the A to P version of the canal trip. Strangely, I can't stop thinking about how many ports have a WalMart within viewing distance of the ports on that trip. I have been on the A to P trip when there is no Castaway stop and extra time in Aruba.... Aruba didn't need the extra time... It never occurred to me to ask for discount/freebie for missing a stop due to safety or weather. I guess I'll have to be more cavalier in my approach to those things in the future.

*1023*

the violence was reported in Manzanillo and Colima as well.

alphac2005

Okay, you're near me right?

So I went to the movies down in Gainesville (66&29) and the amount of children in the Mad Max film was more horrifying than anything I saw on screen. I don't get why children must always be incorporated with adult activities.

Because so many of my fellow parents are selfish. (You already knew that, though.) They take their children to inappropriate movies for children because they want to see the movie. They exhibit narcissistic tendencies and decide that if it's between not seeing a movie because of not having a baby sitter (for whatever reason) and taking a kid to a totally inappropriate movie, most will now do as they please. It's ridiculous. I could rant endlessly about parenting today. I love the ones by where I am that spout their religious beliefs any and everywhere, yet have no problem with their small children playing incredibly violent video games, watching way inappropriate movies for their ages, and feeding them some garbage dinner at 8 pm... but I'll hold back. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Okay, you're near me right?

So I went to the movies down in Gainesville (66&29) and the amount of children in the Mad Max film was more horrifying than anything I saw on screen. I don't get why children must always be incorporated with adult activities.
I saw Sin City in the movies when it first came out. I'm pretty sure it was rated R. The people behind us had 2 young kids with them. I want to say maybe 10 and 8. When the movie ended on the way out the woman said in a shocked kind of voice something like "that wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it was supposed to be based on a comic book". At the time I thought it was kinda funny but that was before I had kids. Looking back now it's really frightening.

I also saw a guy with a baby in the theater when I saw Phantom Menace. I'm talking infant in a a carrying car seat thing. Probably some Star Wars fanboy that had to see the movie no matter what or maybe wanted their kid to be able to say they saw it in the theater. We didn't get past the THX thing with the loud noise before the kid started wailing. The guy eventually left with the baby.

As a parent with kids I can't understand why people do these kinds of things. And don't even get me started on kids in fancy restaurants they have no business being in.

lazyboy97o

I saw Sin City in the movies when it first came out. I'm pretty sure it was rated R. The people behind us had 2 young kids with them. I want to say maybe 10 and 8. When the movie ended on the way out the woman said in a shocked kind of voice something like "that wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it was supposed to be based on a comic book". At the time I thought it was kinda
What amazes me about this story is that it took until the end of Sin City for that realization to hit. Not the title. Not all the killing. Not the scantily dressed prostitutes. Not the cannibalism. None of that ever made her second guess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What amazes me about this story is that it took until the end of Sin City for that realization to hit. Not the title. Not all the killing. Not the scantily dressed prostitutes. Not the cannibalism. None of that ever made her second guess.
I guess she figured we paid for the tickets...gotta see it through. I also think maybe she felt a little embarrassed when people saw her walking out with little kids. It wasn't just the extremely graphic violence but the movie had a lot of sexual references. Highly inappropriate and possibly traumatizing for little kids.

the.dreamfinder

Are Pixars initial teasers still unique creations never intended for the film?
Generally yes, but the bigger issue is the oversharing with too many trailers preceding them. Also, the Japanese trailers, which often overshare more than the western trailers, have been getting more play in the American movie blogosphere.
Brave

Monsters U

Inside Out

Stevek

Spirited Sea Musing:

Wouldn't want to have been on the current voyages of the Wonder through the Panama Canal (same cruise Angie and I did a year ago -- yes, time truly does fly even if you're not having fun!) or the Magic across the Atlantic.

I also wouldn't want to be the Disney reps who are going to be getting a lot of demands for freebies, money off current and future cruises and the like.

Why?

Both the Wonder and the Magic haven't been able to sail their scheduled itineraries due to circumstances beyond their control.

The Wonder couldn't make it's regularly scheduled stop in Puerto Vallarta (home of my beloved Cassandra) due to some major violence between a local drug cartel and the authorities that, apparently, included shooting down a police helicopter with a stinger missile and starting fires at places like gas stations. None of this violence has been near the tourist areas, but Disney as well as other lines have decided to not stop. Carnival made a regularly scheduled stop there this week. Will be interesting to see if the Wonder does its regular schedule of stops there this fall when it is homeported in San Diego.

Originally, the day was changed to a sea day, but since heard they stopped somewhere in Guatemala instead.

The Magic had a different sort of impediment: namely huge chunks of ice in the north Atlantic that made safety (DCL didn't want its own Titanic, even if Disney would have synergized it to death!) an issue. So, after being the priciest eastbound Transatlantic cruise Disney has ever offered because of scheduled stops in Canada and, more importantly, Iceland, the Magic had to cancel calls on Halifax (I believe) and Iceland (completely). I've been told that the Magic was making an unscheduled stop in Norway (the first for the line) instead of Iceland.

This cruise was very coveted by DCL regulars due to the different itinerary, which also included a stop in NYC.
I had interest in taking this cruise until I looked at the pricing.

While the resort towns of Mexico are seemingly still very safe to visit, I have feeling that the it's just a matter of time before the options to cruise the riviera become even more limited. Right now, I think the only options are Princess and Carnival and I think the latter is unlikely to pull out as their booze cruises do pretty well. Side note, we took one about a month ago (3 day boozer) and it was really pretty bad. Terrible food, ok entertainment and guests that were completely disrespectful of their fellow cruisers. The epitome of "you get what you pay for."

Stevek

Negative, Ghostrider. This is for real.

Apparently they are Magic Band covers that are available with your support of just $10/month. 184 patrons give $3448 a month..... Which is a nifty income of $41k/yr.
There is some other person out there that makes custom covers...Morgan Lifestyler or something like that? Gotta hand it to her though, she was entrepreneurial enough to realize her fellow lifestylers would want a different sticker for each day of the week they visit. I did notice that she stopped selling Disney branded i.e. Mickey, Minnie, etc skins/stickers. I can only assume someone at Disney got to her and that any business she had went down the drain.

PhotoDave219

There is some other person out there that makes custom covers...Morgan Lifestyler or something like that? Gotta hand it to her though, she was entrepreneurial enough to realize her fellow lifestylers would want a different sticker for each day of the week they visit. I did notice that she stopped selling Disney branded i.e. Mickey, Minnie, etc skins/stickers. I can only assume someone at Disney got to her and that any business she had went down the drain.

As the story goes, Morgan got a C&D from the mouse from her selling of Magic Band covers.

Yet.... Lou somehow gets to give them away as part of Patron packages of at least $10/mo.

Rather confusing from a policy standpoint as to who is allowed to do what.

Stevek

As the story goes, Morgan got a C&D from the mouse from her selling of Magic Band covers.

Yet.... Lou somehow gets to give them away as part of Patron packages of at least $10/mo.

Rather confusing from a policy standpoint as to who is allowed to do what.
Lou's latest "gimmick" is that if you buy his limited edition autographed 2 CD tour of Tomorrowland, you are entered into a contest for a guided 4 hour tour of the MK from him. That sounds like such a great tiZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But as I've said before, I really don't blame him for doing what he does. Disney allows it, even seems to support it, so by all means why not push it as far as you can for as long as you can. I dare say that if any of us had given up a job as a lawyer, moved to Orlando to podcast and visit Disney Parks full time (sounds even more ridiculous when I type it), we would all do the same thing.

As for Morgan, I'm assuming they only made her stop selling the Disney stickers? Her site is still up an surprisingly, she's using the term Magic Band which I'm guessing Disney has not yet trademarked?

PhotoDave219

Lou's latest "gimmick" is that if you buy his limited edition autographed 2 CD tour of Tomorrowland, you are entered into a contest for a guided 4 hour tour of the MK from him. That sounds like such a great tiZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But as I've said before, I really don't blame him for doing what he does. Disney allows it, even seems to support it, so by all means why not push it as far as you can for as long as you can. I dare say that if any of us had given up a job as a lawyer, moved to Orlando to podcast and visit Disney Parks full time (sounds even more ridiculous when I type it), we would all do the same thing.

As for Morgan, I'm assuming they only made her stop selling the Disney stickers? Her site is still up an surprisingly, she's using the term Magic Band which I'm guessing Disney has not yet trademarked?

Got a link? I'm not sure what these "stickers" are you mean. I'm familiar with a MB cover tho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom