A Spirited Perfect Ten

Next Big Thing

While that information and stunning barrage of youtube clips support your statement (and I think are cool), I think we are talking about differing goals. Please allow me to clarify. I wasn't speaking to appealing to a younger generation or to how they can market themselves on the internet. I was pointing out that a reboot of a wide (in terms of demographics) reaching TV show dedicated to showcasing the parks while presenting platinum classics might be a good thing on a Sunday. After all, it's how Walt promoted the park in the first place. Disney loves "rebooting" things and Steve Jobs reminded us that having a "product slinging" CEO is pretty effective. I can almost hear Tom saying, "This is the Na'avi guided boat tour where visitors from all across the globe can experience the ecology of another planet and learn valuable ways to preserve our own."

*1023*
Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about. But TV is dying. What better way to promote a product than straight to your core demographic, all while doing it in a whimsical way that humanizes the multi-millionaires in the room?

Having a show similar to what Walt once had would be great. Tbh, at this point in Bob's tenure, it'd be too late for me to believe anything he says. But if Tom decided to do even a once weekly company update of sorts (maybe on Sundays), then I could go with that. I think that Disney buying Maker last year was precisely for the reason I described. With cable dying out more and more yearly, reaching out to people to cross-promote on a platform people are comfortable with and use in their own time is a great way to do business.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know for a fact how wrong you are.

My Bothan spies tell me that the only people who got recovery during construction were ones who complained. They also tell me that people staying in the Bungalows are complaining about the Ferry Boat horn.

How Disney ever thought those boat horns wouldn't be an issues truly amazes me. Now, they could have gone for some truly soundproof glass and walls (I am sure some of their defense contractor friends could have gotten them 'a deal'), but the thing about today's Disney is that it is so smarmy, so arrogant, so cold that no one ever thought that people might like to sleep and not be awakened by those horns (I am sure @alissafalco had to hear those all night on her honeymoon in the real South Pacific, right? ;))

PhotoDave219

How Disney ever thought those boat horns wouldn't be an issues truly amazes me. Now, they could have gone for some truly soundproof glass and walls (I am sure some of their defense contractor friends could have gotten them 'a deal'), but the thing about today's Disney is that it is so smarmy, so arrogant, so cold that no one ever thought that people might like to sleep and not be awakened by those horns (I am sure @alissafalco had to hear those all night on her honeymoon in the real South Pacific, right? ;))

Well, the two closest to the ferry dock are allegedly soundproofed.

Allegedly.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about. But TV is dying. What better way to promote a product than straight to your core demographic, all while doing it in a whimsical way that humanizes the multi-millionaires in the room?

TV isn't dying. I know that is a popular view amongst the younger set, but the numbers prove otherwise.

Having a show similar to what Walt once had would be great. Tbh, at this point in Bob's tenure, it'd be too late for me to believe anything he says. But if Tom decided to do even a once weekly company update of sorts (maybe on Sundays), then I could go with that. I think that Disney buying Maker last year was precisely for the reason I described. With cable dying out more and more yearly, reaching out to people to cross-promote on a platform people are comfortable with and use in their own time is a great way to do business.

I love to get my content on my iPhone. Robert A. Iger is a true visionary. He knew I'd wait to see Age of Ultron on a freaking tiny 'wittle phone because that's what the kewl kidz do today.

Oh, and what's the deal with Staggs? Either he's been working out in the gym quite a bit, since he has nothing much to do on the job, right?, or perhaps an NFL player has set him up with the 'roids ...

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about. But TV is dying. What better way to promote a product than straight to your core demographic, all while doing it in a whimsical way that humanizes the multi-millionaire's in the room?

I have been hearing for a few years now that "TV is dying". I find that hard to reconcile with my day to day experience. I also find it at odds with the desire of media creators purchasing media distributors. HBO is clearly driving it's way into direct to consumer entertainment. ( I for one will be happy with an internet distributed à la carte entertainment product in the future.) I just don't think we have reached the Cable/Sat providers are Newspapers bedfellows yet. I think that is a decade down the road and possibly farther.

I do like the internet promotions you are talking about. But the core demographic you speak of is the parents and grandparents not the kids. If I had minions myself, they would still experience me pushing them in front of the TV on Sunday for "Tom and the Wonderful World of Disney".

*1023*

P.S. I like agreeing with people. It's less disagreeable.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
TV isn't dying, but on demand is growing. There is a large percentage of people who want to watch the TV they want to watch on the schedule they want to watch it. It started with DVR (well, really, it started with I-net piracy), but it's becoming more and more the norm.

That said, broadcast (even if Digital) TV will always exist in some form. I suspect what you'll see are "channels" forming around certain content, to expose users to new content.

Next Big Thing

TV isn't dying. I know that is a popular view amongst the younger set, but the numbers prove otherwise.

I love to get my content on my iPhone. Robert A. Iger is a true visionary. He knew I'd wait to see Age of Ultron on a freaking tiny 'wittle phone because that's what the kewl kidz do today.

Oh, and what's the deal with Staggs? Either he's been working out in the gym quite a bit, since he has nothing much to do on the job, right?, or perhaps an NFL player has set him up with the 'roids ...
There's still along way to go before it "dies", but the number of households with cable is declining faster than ever and people who have it aren't watching it as much.

I know it isn't dead and it probably won't as companies will change their model to bring customers back, but those are facts, not opinions.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My $0.02 on waiting on Disney transportation. It always seemed to be a long wait, then we timed it. As it turned out, we never waited more than 15 min. It just felt longer. I think this is due to our excitement for going to the park.

It all is a crap shoot. I have had trips, like last month, where literally every time I walked to a bus stop, the bus I wanted was showing up.

I've also had nightmarish times with buses and boats (not really rails) where I've waited 35-55 minutes for my 'every 20 minute' trip and then had waits of 15-20 minutes on top as they attempted to load multiple ECVs and then made unscheduled stops etc. Had a very bad boat experience in December when trying to get from MK to FW for the early HDD show and I did register a complaint about one of the boat captains having a less than MAGICal 'tude when he finally arrived.

It's all a matter of dumb luck and timing as to whether you have a great experience, an acceptable one, a bad one, or a nightmarish one. I've had them all ...multiple times and that's why I always prefer having my car with me while at WDW.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There's still along way to go before it "dies", but the number of households with cable is declining faster than ever and people who have it aren't watching it as much.

I know it isn't dead and it probably won't as companies will change their model to bring customers back, but those are facts, not opinions.
Cable numbers are not decreasing, just people watching cable.

Cable is still the best and cheapest way (for the time being) to get good and cheap internet services in most markets.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I am not talking strictly cable. You do know people still watch network TV, right? And while on-demand and time shifting has become a part of the industry, right down to how ratings are measured with Plus-3 and Plus-7, TV in its traditional form ain't going anywhere. Whether it's watching the fanboi favorite Big Bang Theory or Shondaland on ABC Thursdays or Sunday Night Football on NBC, folks are turning in by the tens of millions.

Those are facts. And I'm willing to bet I have a bit more knowledge and perspective on the subject too!

Next Big Thing

I do like the internet promotions you are talking about. But the core demographic you speak of is the parents and grandparents not the kids. If I had minions myself, they would still experience me pushing them in front of the TV on Sunday for "Tom and the Wonderful World of Disney".
I don't disagree that a weekly Sunday show would be an additional boost as I said. I'd personally love it.

Where I do think you are a bit off-track is the amount of children consuming internet videos. Many young kids have cell phones, iPads, etc these days. From first hand experience working with a youth theatre group and constantly being around that younger set, I can say for a fact that a heavy majority of them watch YouTube and online content.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I don't disagree that a weekly Sunday show would be an additional boost as I said. I'd personally love it.

Where I do think you are a bit off-track is the amount of children consuming internet videos. Many young kids have cell phones, iPads, etc these days. From first hand experience working with a youth theatre group and constantly being around that younger set, I can say for a fact that a heavy majority of them watch YouTube and online content.

Those E-device addict youths are great for the future. Mom and Dad are still the ones with the wallets that my Unlce Bob wants more money from. Those 10 to teens aren't buying the family vacation. Again, I think we are many years removed from Direct on Demand killing off networks. I also think that it may be a less effective form of advertising as you can just skip it or opt not to view it. Of course, on that we will see.....

*1023*

Next Big Thing

Those are facts. And I'm willing to bet I have a bit more knowledge and perspective on the subject too!
I'm sure you do...

I'm not saying network TV is going down. It very likely never will. And I did say a Sunday night Wonderful World of Color type show would be great.

But as much as people say "they should do what Walt did and do this" ...if they actually did that, would you actually give Tom (say he becomes CEO and does this... I don't want to see Bob every week) credit or would you criticize the fact that what he is talking about is the different BRANDS - Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, ABC, etc - and what exactly is the Disney BRAND? Credit or criticism... something to ponder.

People always about wanting something and then when they actually get it they some more because of xyz.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There can certainly be times that a total trip, involving multiple legs can easily take an hour. My questions for you: you are on vacation - why not just RELAX and be on vacation? Who cares if it takes that long to get to from point A to point C? Why not talk with some of the other people on the transport? We do all the time. Of course, we are not curmudgeonly and crass either, are you? Why are you in such a godawful hurry to get everywhere? CHILL!

Are you serious? Gotta ask again. Or just sent up from the PML to stir a Spirited thread?

Because the whole WDW as a relaxing vacation destination ended sometime about two decades ago. You can't have the amount of options spread out over such distances and require so much planning all at incredibly high pricing for most people to relax at WDW.

I can do it. But I've spent likely a crazy amount of time at WDW. I go now because it is still relatively new to the love of my life and because I can enjoy spending time with family and friends there. Beyond DAK and some parts of EPCOT, I largely do NOT go for the theme park product because the reality is it just plain isn't very good at anymore. ...So, sure, I can do two laps around the World Showcase lagoon at night with a drink or a snack, maybe stop for 1-2 attractions, see RoE and then do two more laps around the lagoon. Just for exercise and music and then to be one of (but not the last as that honor always goes to @WDWFigment, even when he is far, far away! :) )the last people there. ... Or maybe I go to DAK with a friend and spend 30 minutes just watching the gorillas, as I did last month.

But I also spent a week at WDW and the entire trip including food and gas and tolls (and luxury accommodations at a friend's!) likely didn't even set me back $500.

If I was blowing through eight grand in a week, then I wouldn't be chilling and I don't blame the folks who can't stop and smell the roses, Those roses have very pricey thorns on them!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

They do, but don't overestimate the "watercooler effect".

Broadcast media isn't even close to dead (though they do need to further adopt, which they have through hulu and Netflix) digital distribution.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who hasn't had broadcast or cable TV (just cable internet) since 2007...

I was a VERY early adopter. And, have watched it evolve. That said, I don't think it's anywhere close to the "future"...<grin>

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sure you do...

I'm not saying network TV is going down. It very likely never will. And I did say a Sunday night Wonderful World of Color type show would be great.

But as much as people say "they should do what Walt did and do this" ...if they actually did that, would you actually give Tom (say he becomes CEO and does this... I don't want to see Bob every week) credit or would you criticize the fact that what he is talking about is the different BRANDS - Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, ABC, etc - and what exactly is the Disney BRAND? Credit or criticism... something to ponder.

People always ***** about wanting something and then when they actually get it they ***** some more because of xyz.

I can't stand Tom anymore than I can Bob. He truly is an ''oddly waifish man of anemic personality'' ... so I don't want to ponder him taking over. And we've got over three years. I know we ... yes, WE ... can prevent Tom from ever seeing that position.

And, no, I really wouldn't want to see a Disney show on Sunday night, even if I grew up with one. It worked in one era. Michael was able to make it work in another. I don't think it would today, except perhaps on The Disney Channel and we all know that it exists almost solely for 12-year-old girlz.

I've never asked for this type of product, so getting it or not getting it would make no difference to me.

Next Big Thing

Those E-device addict youths are great for the future. Mom and Dad are still the ones with the wallets that my Unlce Bob wants more money from. Those 10 to teens aren't buying the family vacation. Again, I think we are many years removed from Direct on Demand killing off networks. I also think that it may be a less effective form of advertising as you can just skip it or opt not to view it. Of course, on that we will see.....

*1023*
Ok, I think you're misunderstanding me. Things like what I originally posted - The Muppet videos - are exactly what they need to keep doing. I'm not saying advertise about spending thousands of dollars to go to WDW to these youths, i'm saying promote the brands. Get the characters out where people can see them, get to know their names if they've never seen them before. That's what's great about YouTube. It's a great platform to (re)introduce content to the general public.

TV is obviously still a major player and those that watch heavily tend to skew older. That's who you market the vacations to. That's where you put a new Wonderful World of Disney. Sorry for the confusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom