A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I try to avoid network television. I don't enjoy it. I tried Agents of Shield but I didn't care for it after six episodes, so I went back to HBO/NetFlix.
honestly.. the first episodes of Shield were BORING AS HELL.
no seriously, I was almost crashing in my keyboard as I watched it.

It sorta got interesting by the end of Season 1.
But I even find GRIMM and other shows way more enjoyable than Shield.
I only felt attachment to Coulson and Fury. The others were expendable and interchangeable on any other spy-action series.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Only if Princess kate was present.... LOL

I have had the honor of meeting the president in the white house twice and I will say that is the coolest thing I have ever been a part of. Would personally love to be at one of the white house dinners once. On a bucket list for me.
It was with President Obama? or who?

Cesar R M

i actually really empathize with @LuvtheGoof, because i see a lot of myself and my situation in him. all except with the love of disney transport. i thank my lucky stars that i have only take two trips in the last two decades that i didn't either have my own car or a rental. disney buses are where a little piece of everyone dies.

my family bought into DVC in '93. great investment, gave my family and i tons of amazing times throughout the years, and we still utilize our points. up until 2011, i had been off property just once ( in '94, we spent a day at UNI). let me just say that i, too, thought i had little interest in venturing out of the bubble. then i saw the light. even if you have no interest in the IP at UNI, you should try it out. i grew up in a time where i bit on all the talking points, that UNI's standards aren't disney, and there's just something about WDW that UNI can't replicate. unfortunately, the performance we came to expect from WDW in the '90's is found further up I4 nowadays.

listen, disney is still fun, and being a DVC member can be great. points give us members access to some hotels that just wouldn't be feasible at rack rates (it's how i stayed at BLT in a magic kingdom view one bedroom for my honeymoon). but if we didn't have the luxury of being DVC members, i wouldn't even think about disney as a vacation destination anymore. it's stale and just doesn't provide a good value, particularly for the demographic my family is currently in. i don't know when you bought in goof, but is it long enough ago to remember the two *FREE PARK PASSES* that accompanied every stay until the new millennium?

that's just one way of how things were different back then. should i dip into the time, on a 1995 visit, that our AC in our OKW studio was broken. a tech showed up at 11 PM to repair it, and a huge gift basket arrived the next morning to apologize us for the inconvenience. in 2010, i stayed at an OKW studio and the refrigerator had defrosted all over the carpeting. not only did it take maintenance two days to come, when they did, they essentially sprayed carpet cleaner, leaving us with a moldly, mildew smell in our room for the duration of our stay.

it's anecdotes like this, that i'm sure we can all share to an extent, that have cheapened the experience. i think it's great you're still enjoying your DVC investment, but is it really as enjoyable as when you bought in? if it is for you, that's great! but i can't say ours is. and that infuriates me, because you've essentially pre-purchased vacations from a company that has flat out moved the goal posts.

Agree with you. I just honestly wished there could be more Boat routes (not possible since there is no more water areas?).

Because unlike buses. you can actually RELAX in a boat (and not feel the pressure of the crowds that much or the traffic, or the constant stops).

And not everyone wants to dish 40 to 50$ each way for a taxi.
Sooo expensive!

Cesar R M

Are you disagreeing with me that in 16 years and over 300 days in a park that I have not waited more than 15 min on average, or are you just disagreeing to disagree?
are you talking about attractions? or transportation?
What are your usual hotels?

Deluxe hotels like AKL HARDLY had any wait in my experience. But buses for Moderates (like POR and COR) were always busting... that is my experience in 2 trips at different dates (february and September).

PS, I loved Kidani Village.. but egads!.. you have to walk A LOT for the rooms on the extremes.

Just one small point here and that is that no one is "forced" to do anything Disney. It is, last I heard, not a necessary item to sustain life. Everyone has a choice, if they don't use their choices in a way that is satisfying for them, then why are they doing it?

I do, however, understand what you are saying, but, to me it is still a perceived "force" not a real one. I don't stay onsite, I do not rely on Disney transportation or Disney reservations. Having a FP or not may make my life easier, but, it doesn't strike me as a requirement. There are other choices and everyone has them. What is there is made available and can be beneficial, but, none of it is required.
in some cases (like dinning) it is required now (at least during crowded dates).
when the wait time for a restaurant like Tony's is 2+ hours during low season.. I cant imagine how bad It could get now (with the extended reservations and the crowds)

I hope it had one of "I got lost in my multi room multi floor mansion"
or "A friend gifted me with a Bugatti Veyron.. but I threw a hissy fit because it wasn't the Bumblebee Yellow I wanted"

At least it's nice and cool and relaxing in there with that huge lush waterfall feature...

(What was decided on for that sarcasm font?)

zp4cUOs.gif

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
LOl no I got the honor of meeting GWB and Obama as I was part of a business roundtable for both presidents on the restaurant and hospitality industry and discussions on the effects of min wage on our business.
It is a very unreal experience when you get to meet them like that one I will never forget.

I'm glad you got to meet the former and current heads of the DC crime syndicate.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In the last several trips at WDW we've stayed at the Contemporary Resort. But just for fun, at the MK closing we caught a bus to the Pop Century to see how the valve resort folks live. The chatter on that bus was mostly negative. I could hardly wait until we got to the Pop Century so we could catch a bus back to the CR and be back with our own kind.

This is why I've long been a proponent of "twice the price" dining. First, it will offset the financial losses Disney experiences during free dining (not sure how they stay in business during that time!) and it would allow me to enjoy the finer table service restaurants without the open mouthed, sweat stained, olfactory assaulting rabble that I am otherwise forced to view.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you had taken the $30K you dumped into the program in the first place and put it in a decent growth stock mutual fund, you'd have a lot more flexibility to be booking rooms wherever you want.
Except you would have to take money each year from the $30K investment to pay for a room for your vacation. You have to pay capital gains tax too when you sell that appreciated stock. If you bought in before 2008 your $30K in stock would have instantly dropped to $15K:confused: It's taken a while just to get back to pre-2008 levels. It depends on when you started this exercise, but for someone who bought in pre-2008 the $30K could be all or at least mostly gone by now vs years of DVC ownership left.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
5.) Lifestylers/BRAND advocates (people who moved to O-Town to leech off the Mouse, many who have serious mental health issues, many who are just looking for freebies that seem available to anyone with a social media footprint);
I think this warrants further exploration and could probably be its own thread. What say everybody regarding Spirit's observation of Disneyism as a mental disorder?

Lee

Adventurer
I think this warrants further exploration and could probably be its own thread. What say everybody regarding Spirit's observation of Disneyism as a mental disorder?
In many cases...its spot on.
But it's not limited to just Disney. There are many obsessive fandoms out there, though few seem to have the same emotional aspect.

Like he's often said...there's a good book to be written about mental disorder in the Disney fan community. I've offered to write the foreward.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In many cases...its spot on.
But it's not limited to just Disney. There are many obsessive fandoms out there, though few seem to have the same emotional aspect.

Like he's often said...there's a good book to be written about mental disorder in the Disney fan community. I've offered to write the foreward.
I agree completely. I don't see it as much now that I'm a "regular" guest (flying in for a week at a time), but it was all too clear when I was a local and park regular. The compulsion manifests itself most blatantly with things like pins, Vinylmation, and Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards. The financial side of it is actually really sad to watch, whether it's people abandoning steady work to try and be a front line cast member, that same cast member blowing their $200 paycheck on broken crap at Property Control, or the woman who can barely afford a week at Pop but decides to buy DVC.

Funmeister

honestly.. the first episodes of Shield were BORING AS HELL.
no seriously, I was almost crashing in my keyboard as I watched it.

It sorta got interesting by the end of Season 1.
But I even find GRIMM and other shows way more enjoyable than Shield.
I only felt attachment to Coulson and Fury. The others were expendable and interchangeable on any other spy-action series.

It seems like each episode during the first season was....

Hey, we found something...protect it.
Hey, someone stole it.
Hey, we have to fight and get it back.

It was bad.

lazyboy97o

Well, I had never in my life of being a Disney nut and very knowledgeable about the early history of the family EVER heard that Flora and Elias Disney owned a farm in Kissimmee prior to moving north and having children.

But when Disney Springs was unveiled that suddenly was being talked about in the fan community ... like Disney Springs was going back to the very roots of Walt's family and folks. It all sounded like BS to me. But I never researched the subject. The timing was just odd ...of course, we also have the house Walt was born in in Chicago being suddenly important when every Walt historian points to two places that influenced the man greatly: Marceline and Kansas City.

Now ... what we're we talking about ... oh yeah, J.R. Daddy ... Jock Ewing. He sure loved Miss Ellie, even if he had a wife before her.
Elias Disney and Flora Call were married on December 27, 1887 in Lake County. One can even pull up their marriage license online. They list their residence as Ackron (a place name that does not seem to have survived the years) and were married at the Bloomfield (another apparently lost place name) Courthouse.

Somehow that morphed into Kissimmee and I think there are bits of the Disney Springs story that try to imply that their homestead was within the 47 square miles.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom