A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

Premium Member

It just goes to show you how stupid they are. One of the reasons why comic book movies are as successful as they are now is because women are going to them. Go to any comic con and it is mind blowing how many women are there compared to 5-10 years ago. Women are the largest growing segment of this market. Disney is ignoring this demographic at there own peril. I see so many young women walking around with Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn apparel. They should have had a whole line of Black Widow and Scarlett Witch apparel at Hot Topic or another retailer. But that wouldn't fit in there BRANDS plan.[/QUOTE]

You mean she should have more then hawkeye? She should be used more no doubt about it but they are not neglecting her as everyone is making it out to be.

Comics have always targeted the boys.... By the way they are drawn to have just a enough sex appeal to them to everything they have always gone after the male market.

Woman should not be included in this as well and marketed towards as well but the first audience is going to be males. No matter what they do that is the facts....

Here is a link of the stuff not he marvel site she has as much as hawkeye..... http://shop.marvel.com/black-widow/...earchTerm=black+widow&catalogFromSearch=10002

gmajew

Premium Member

It just goes to show you how stupid they are. One of the reasons why comic book movies are as successful as they are now is because women are going to them. Go to any comic con and it is mind blowing how many women are there compared to 5-10 years ago. Women are the largest growing segment of this market. Disney is ignoring this demographic at there own peril. I see so many young women walking around with Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn apparel. They should have had a whole line of Black Widow and Scarlett Witch apparel at Hot Topic or another retailer. But that wouldn't fit in there BRANDS plan.[/QUOTE]

They also are rolling out a female thor comic book to target the woman audience... So the fact they are not working on the problem is just not true.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor

Katie G

Congratulations, you just passed your final exam to qualify as a Disney Resort hotel manager. :(

Distinguished hotels don't react to customer complaints; they act to prevent them in the first place.

Walt Disney World hotels used to be like this. Now staff (oops, I mean Cast Members) are trained to treat customers (oops, I mean Guests) like the opposing team. It's all about squeezing those pennies to improve margins.

For the record, I don't work in a resort hotel. Besides the point of course. While I appreciate your snark, I don't agree with your point.

The pro-active message is that there is construction/rehab/downtime for some facet of the vacation the guest may experience. messages like: During your stay, the monorail will experience downtime. Let us help you plan around it - is proactive. But if any aspect of the vacation, in this case the monorail, isn't noticed as a problem, or doesn't impact the vacation, then why would the hotel give recovery. If you had a dinner reservation you might miss because you were unable to work around the monorail schedule, a taxi is ordered for you (and paid for by the resort) to accommodate you. There are email communications, signs, comments at check in and on in-room documents.

bcoachable

It just goes to show you how stupid they are. One of the reasons why comic book movies are as successful as they are now is because women are going to them. Go to any comic con and it is mind blowing how many women are there compared to 5-10 years ago. Women are the largest growing segment of this market. Disney is ignoring this demographic at there own peril. I see so many young women walking around with Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn apparel. They should have had a whole line of Black Widow and Scarlett Witch apparel at Hot Topic or another retailer. But that wouldn't fit in there BRANDS plan.

Disney did make the Thunder Mountain comic focused on a female... not that I disagree with you, just saying...

Bairstow

I’m prohibited from sharing the slides, but the takeaway is that, unlike the actual demos, the desired demographics had no females in it whatsoever.

This is the part that's bonkers to me, because it suggests that Disney actually has demographic numbers on their Marvel properties and are intentionally making less money than they could.

Does Disney fear competing with itself for the attention of certain female demographics? Are they afraid that if little Cindy sees strong female action characters that it would be a gateway to interests in similar media not under Disney's control? Do we have to bury Black Widow in order to keep little Cindy from leaving that lucrative princess reservation?

Cesar R M

PhotoDave219

The already gave us her origin story in MARVEL'S Agent Carter. The story has been done before and the truth is that Black Widow's lore is not very compelling to begin with. A movie about her would end up being a another Jason Borne movie.

MARVEL did a great job introducing her in Iron Man 2 and pulling her along into the avengers but I just don't see audiences lining up to see MARVEL'S super spy kill an unknown politician in an unheard of country just because he is a bad guy.

Captan Marvel is the answer to all of this; the bombastic female audience just has to wait for now.

I have noticed that the group that is bemoaning a lack of female super-hero movies is (not surprising) quiet on the topic of Disney Prince movies.

I don't care about any Marvel TV show. Sorry.

And a female Jason Bourne movie set in the Marvel Universe with Scarlett Johanssen? More please.

As with that last line, exactly what are you trying to accomplish? I mean, you're comparing two different fictional universes (WDFA vs MCU) as well as target audience (kids vs grownups). You're comparing apples and oranges.

Sounds to me like you're trolling for an argument.

PhotoDave219

No disagreement here but that IS in fact her story. And we can all see why that wouldn't make a good movie.

EDIT: and on the topic of the Iron Man toy being sold with the motorcycle, I would argue that, in the lore, tony Stark probably built that bike, so it is 'his' motorcycle. I just wanted to toss this out there.

To which I point you to the movie.....

Cesar R M

The already gave us her origin story in MARVEL'S Agent Carter. The story has been done before and the truth is that Black Widow's lore is not very compelling to begin with. A movie about her would end up being a another Jason Borne movie.
You mean like the other 4 Jason Borne movies?
Because 3 before weren't enough.. right?
sounds like a silly excuse.

How many James Bond movies you need too?

MARVEL did a great job introducing her in Iron Man 2 and pulling her along into the avengers but I just don't see audiences lining up to see MARVEL'S super spy kill an unknown politician in an unheard of country just because he is a bad guy.

Captan Marvel is the answer to all of this; the bombastic female audience just has to wait for now.

I have noticed that the group that is bemoaning a lack of female super-hero movies is (not surprising) quiet on the topic of Disney Prince movies.
There are more female characters than just Captain Marvel.

And also.. lol really? are you really pulling a classic "Where are the males then?" retort? :hilarious:
Have you been to the movies? its like a sausage fest (id say 80% of the movies currently out are focused mostly on the Male audience), specially skewed to ridiculous levels in the super hero and action segments.

I think the easiest solution to pull all sides together would be to campaign for Disney to lighten up on (or stop altogether) the princess movie franchises.
:facepalm:
Yeah, thanks for confirming.
You replied exactly like the infamous "nice guys" that try to defend and protect the "male movement from feminists" in social sites lol.

PhotoDave219

My last thought for now about the sexism debate.

I think the easiest solution to pull all sides together would be to campaign for Disney to lighten up on (or stop altogether) the princess movie franchises. That is what is causing all the stress on the boy vs girl debate. As mentioned elsewhere here, Disney is too lopsided on the little girl demographic and needs to bring in little boys. That is what the pirates franchise and Jake the Neverland Pirate were suppose to do, but Disney has done a really c-rappy job of bring those franchises into the theme park experience (certainly not to the extent of the princesses). If they stopped with the friggin princess movies and let go of some of the branding around them then we could have a world with female MARVEL fans and female Star Wars fans.

As it is now, as long as they continue to push out new princess movie after new princess movie with balancing out the male element, everyone will continue to feel like there are significant demographic segments being ignored.

But we all know that Disney will never let go of that nut. And as a result Disney will continue to suffer at the lack of interest from boys and therefore as a result girls will continue to suffer with feeling ignored in the new MARVEL and Star Wars marketing.

The Captan Marvel movie is still a long way away.

d7895006ea85584489648ea9b9308403.jpg

Cesar R M

It just goes to show you how stupid they are. One of the reasons why comic book movies are as successful as they are now is because women are going to them. Go to any comic con and it is mind blowing how many women are there compared to 5-10 years ago. Women are the largest growing segment of this market. Disney is ignoring this demographic at there own peril. I see so many young women walking around with Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn apparel. They should have had a whole line of Black Widow and Scarlett Witch apparel at Hot Topic or another retailer. But that wouldn't fit in there BRANDS plan.
Agree with this.
Reminds me of the gamer debate.. gaming is definitively focused to males. Say what you want, but most games are build by dudes FOR dudes.
yet, in the few years.. people have been tossing the interesting statistics.. where 51%-55% of the gamers.. were FEMALES... they are just not as visible. because they get harassed.

The Gamergate was a fine example of some really facepalm worthy males trying to protect their "manly man exclusive club" (they really feel threatened by girls? wow)

They also are rolling out a female thor comic book to target the woman audience... So the fact they are not working on the problem is just not true.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor
the Irony is.. the male "comic" community was in uproar for the change lol.

Disney did make the Thunder Mountain comic focused on a female... not that I disagree with you, just saying...

to chime in...
DC started to do an Harley Quin comic (with her "adventures" along with Poison Ivy)
Where she is the equivalent of a female deadpool with good and funny stories.

But release comics still do not have the same scope as a real full movie.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

In my humble opinion, that would dilute the brand. Memphis needs Disney a whole lot more than Disney needs Memphis or any other Mississippi River port, I would think.

Now a Frozen Alaska cruise on the other hand . . . shoot me now. :lol
why would they do a Frozen Alaska?
they already have one directly tied into Norway.

Dave, I feel like you are behind..
2feetofsnow.jpg

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Did you stay at the poly during construction? Poly was proactive recovery (many things were done without the guests asking for it), Monorails were reactive (done if it caused a problem for the guest). I happen to know that rooms were reclassified as Standard when previously they would have received a premium for location/view. Effectively reducing the rate during construction. Also, Poly was given many promotional discounts as well as Water Park tickets because the themed pool was down. The quiet pool was still available and access to neighboring themed pools was available. Not as convenient, sure, but guests were informed online prior to making reservations, through multiple emails after reservations were made, and guests that had reservations before the refurb was announced were contacted and given recovery.

Regarding the monorail, downtimes were advertised as soon as the teams knew when it was happening. Downtimes are restricted to mid-week, during the middle of the day when the lowest volume of guests use it. Both monorails are not down at the same time, so if the express isn't working, then the resort one is. Downtimes are suspended during peak weeks like spring break, Easter, and summer. If it was shut down completely for as long as it would take to update, people would complain that it isn't available at all. Every major technology asset has to be taken out of service for a time, and Disney tries to be the least impactful as possible and help guests who are impacted.

I know for a fact how wrong you are.

My Bothan spies tell me that the only people who got recovery during construction were ones who complained. They also tell me that people staying in the Bungalows are complaining about the Ferry Boat horn.

Beyond that, you sound like a PR schill. You've never came across this way before, why?

As for the monorail? They're taking their sweet time in getting automated monorails to work. Keep in mind, its been at least five years since that fatal accident. My issue with them is that they break constantly. There's constant unplanned downtime like last month when the trains were down on both the Resort and Express beams at Open. Took them hours to figure out what was wrong.

Also, if i pay full rate for a Monorail resort, I expect it to be working. None of this "I'm sorry" BS.

Mike S

Agree with this.
Reminds me of the gamer debate.. gaming is definitively focused to males. Say what you want, but most games are build by dudes FOR dudes.
yet, in the few years.. people have been tossing the interesting statistics.. where 51%-55% of the gamers.. were FEMALES... they are just not as visible. because they get harassed.

The Gamergate was a fine example of some really facepalm worthy males trying to protect their "manly man exclusive club" (they really feel threatened by girls? wow)

the Irony is.. the male "comic" community was in uproar for the change lol.

to chime in...
DC started to do an Harley Quin comic (with her "adventures" along with Poison Ivy)
Where she is the equivalent of a female deadpool with good and funny stories.

But release comics still do not have the same scope as a real full movie.
I don't get that at all. What guy would be threatened by having a common interest with girls?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This will be fun! :)

I just want to make sure I understand the price you are using: $2761 / 7 nights. Excluding tax, that's about $351/night. With tax, that's $394/night. I hope I got that right.

The price is including all taxes already.

No, your fictitious family does not have "the ability to leave whenever they wish". They are at the mercy of Disney's mass transit.

We know what Disney transportation can be like. Certainly we've all waited 30 minutes or longer for Disney's transportation, even longer at the start of the day and end of the night. That's not exactly whenever I wish. :D

And it's just a joy being crammed onto a bus, standing the entire ride after standing in line waiting for that bus. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that your experiences with Disney transport have not been very good. In the last several years of trips, staying on property over 4 months total with literally hundreds of bus/boat/monorail rides, we have waited longer than 20 minutes EXACTLY ONCE. We must be simply the luckiest people at Disney to not have transportation problems. As a side note: because of coming to these boards many years ago (have been lurking since 2003), I actually time the buses/boats/monorails when we show up at the stop. We have NEVER waited more than 5 minutes for a monorail, and the longest wait for a boat was 18 minutes. The average wait for us for a bus is about 10 minutes.

Since you referenced the AAA diamond rating, I used the AAA rate which was $167/night. Expedia offers the hotel for $179/night.

Let's not use your numbers. Bundling what you suggest through Expedia comes up with a price of $1,814.37. Tacking on the parking brings this to $1,933, significantly different than the $2,553.75 you quote.

So this is why I hesitated to respond. I knew that you would be unwilling to make a reasonable comparison of the 2 resorts. Not everyone is a AAA member, so cannot even ask for that rate. I quoted you a savannah view room at AKL, and a pool view room at the GC. That view is not $167 or $179. It is $240/night directly from the Hyatt web site. That same room on Expedia is $259/night. You quoting a completely different room category is how you operate to make your point.

And you also did not add in the price of renting a car, and the daily parking fee. Do you rent a car when you stay off-site? Or do you rely SOLELY on the resort transportation?

Of course, by staying onsite, I'm now at the mercy of Disney pricing! Any offsite vs. onsite comparison is incomplete without comparing dining and merchandise. You conveniently add ancillary offsite costs without adding ancillary onsite costs. ;)

We are ONLY talking about a resort cost here. NOTHING ELSE. I added on the resort fee and daily parking fee at the off-site resort because THEY CHARGE IT. DISNEY DOES NOT. Why are you not willing to be reasonable is completely beyond me. Oh wait, not it isn't because that is how you operate on these boards.

And don't get me started on how truly mediocre most onsite dining options have become. I miss the pre Disney Dining Plan days. :(

Have to completely disagree that "most" onsite dining options are mediocre. Though I COMPLETELY agree that the Dining Plan should go away!

If you want to compare timeshares, you'll find DVC is by far the most expensive. You can get a 1-bedroom savannah room at AKV for $1400/week. I can get a 3-bedroom presidential suite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (located next to Caribbean Beach Resort) for about the same price. And it's closer to Epcot and DHS than AKV!

I was never comparing timeshares. Where do you get that from? I was simply stating that the price to me would be even less if I used my points for the stay, as opposed to paying cash, and that I could get a better suite, and still save money over paying cash. Why do you insist on trying to make things more complicated than that?

I couldn't care less what you can get at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort. We weren't talking about it, but way to just bring up random points that have no bearing on the discussion.

Interesting you mention that since I'm renting out my points and using the proceeds to visit Universal later this month.

I can't fathom anyone that would own DVC, and rent out their points to stay at an off-site hotel. :confused: Boggles my mind. I can certainly see renting your points if you wish to take a Disney cruise. Well, at least you won't be taking a DVC reservation away from someone else.

I was having fun until I read this.

Really, "no desire to even visit Universal"? No desire to visit theme parks that are building the most exciting attractions in Orlando? You mean you'd rather (for example) ride Peter Pan's Flight for the 101st time? You'd rather see decade old shows? You'd rather deal with the hassle of Disney's buses, spending hours each day in line, rather than stay at a resort with easy theme park access and unlimited front-on-the-line access?

Really?

I cannot fathom "no desire" to visit Universal.

Unless it's a really bad case of Pixie Dust. :D

Umm, not everyone likes the same things in this world. So your are belittling someone because they don't see the world the same way that you do? Wow. And again, I figured that you might be childish about it all, but I was hoping that you wouldn't. Sucks to be right. :(

Since we already have a forum here for resort talk, this will be my final post here on this subject. We get enough drift in the Spirit threads, without adding to it. See ya! :D

COProgressFan

My Bothan spies tell me that the only people who got recovery during construction were ones who complained. They also tell me that people staying in the Bungalows are complaining about the Ferry Boat horn.

Noise from the ferryboats has been discussed in other threads, but this is the first I've read about official complaints. All I can say is, how did no one think this would be a problem? (Or more likely, who ever raised the issue was probably chastised for not being a "team player" for DVC).

Anyone who's ever stayed in a lagoon view room in the building next to the TTC knows you can hear the ferry announcements and horn.

And you know some poor manager at the Poly now has to try to beg transportation not to sound the horns on the ferries when those are standard maritime safety protocols.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom