A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrianLo

I'd expect that because it's their bread and butter, but some of their info has been off (for instance that all dark rides would be upgraded, although I heard the same thing, so maybe our source was the same). And other things were put up by multiple sources, including myself, around the same time (things like Paint the Night with additional units, new pyro show from Davison, new WoC etc.).

I don't wish to diss a site run by good people who I consider friends beyond the 'net. But the facts are they aren't breaking big stories like they once did. I don't think that Colglazier is leaking anything to them, for instance.

Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and defend MC. They definitely were first with most/all of the 60th info and very accurate to boot. Any other insider, yourself included, has mostly confirmed what they've had to say after the fact.

We aren't talking generalizations either, they gave very specific dates, small nuanced projects (such as the Hatbox ghost, new Harold AA's, Grizzly Air Field updates), down to colours of the castle bunting and discussion of all three major entertainment offerings (although I think you were first with Paint the Nights).

They were definitely the first to break the Luigi's Flying Tires Re-do.

If they end up being true, they also were the first to talk about Star Wars for Toontown and Marvel for DCA (including the upgrade to an RnRC type Iron Man attraction).

You yourself know that things fluctuate, and I think MC takes way too much flack for the early reveal of Star Wars for tomorrowland... which we basically know at this point was true at the time. Iger himself has confirmed in an interview he pulled the plug at the last minute to wait on the sequels. They were always quite clear the Subs were in limbo for months and months until Disney made up their mind. MC can't be blamed that Disney didn't pull the trigger.

I also believe the complete redo of all 5 classics was a likely possibility at the time when they first started discussing it a year or so ago, after all we've seen two of those eek out already.

I don't think MC has bad sources... I think Disney just can't make up it's damned mind in today's day and age and constantly get cold feet on all their projects/announcements.

mahnamahna101

the.dreamfinder

I don't think MC has bad sources... I think Disney just can't make up it's damned mind in today's day and age and constantly get cold feet on all their projects/announcements.
That's most of it, but they are much less willing to be critical of Disney's decisions than they were in the past. For a long time, Al made it a point to address working conditions for CMs. He criticized the company for pushing healthy food for its guests but offering Aramark, the other evil Philadelphia based corporation, garbage in the commissaries to the cast members looking for healthier options. While MC went hard against the plan to make DL's Christmas an upcharged affair, they also stopped criticizing the company for killing the annual Disneyland cast member Christmas party, a tradition started by Walt himself to show management's appreciation of its CMs. There are many similar points the MiceChat crew have decided to not follow up on. The last one which they still follow would be the parking situation for CMs, but that's only because it effects guests as well and you need to fully explain how bad Disneyland's parking problem really is.

I cannot fault MC for things they got confirmed at the time an article was published for changing, but I do wish they weren't so willing to censor themselves in their criticism to please TDA.

hopemax

SUPERB dark ride? Really? I like it quite a bit but I cannot agree with your view here. It's a "D" ticket in a prime location with an exterior that screams its an "E" Ticket. Lots of lost potential as far as I'm concerned. But I do enjoy that everyone has differing opinions. It's what makes this board interesting.

I consider it a C, with the Under the Sea room being more E-like, but one room, a ride does not make, so C+/D-. E's really need to have stuff happening around you, not focus your attention on one vignette at a time. While riding it the last time, and walking through the corridor of people outside Peter Pan, my Dad and I were discussing Pan's popularity vs Mermaid. I put it pretty much on the ride mechanism being different than the other rides, and people are so desperate for uniqueness, that they flock to it. Then playing a little armchair Imagineer, I brainstormed that Mermaid could have been something special if they could have figured away to have your ride vehicle suspended during the "under water" sections like Peter Pan, but during the "above water" portions, more like it is now or typical ride.

the.dreamfinder

Before we get too far into the week, I just wanted to post Gitesh Pandya's overview on Age of Ultron's performance. Though we don't know what the actual attendence numbers for the film were, I suspect the drop in the number of 3D tickets sold contributed equally if not more than Mayweather-Pacquiao did to the decline in gross.
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm
What he feels caused the drop from the first films opening weekend. (Please note that he has not updated the post to reflect AoU's weekend actual of $191 million versus the original $187 million projection)
Factors in the weekend business were the many live sports distractions on Saturday which appealed to a big part of the Ultron audience. The Mayweather-Pacquiao match smashed boxing sales records, the NBA had a critical playoff Game 7, plus there was the Kentucky Derby and the NFL Draft going on. These were all scheduled well in advance so moviegoers interested in watching any of them had time to shift their multiplex habits to accommodate everything. But the new Avengers did suffer a sharp drop in box office on Saturday, more than what was expected. The key for Disney and Marvel will be to pick up that lost business on Sunday or future days.
Ultron averaged a potent $43,886 per location this weekend from 4,276 theaters. 44% of the gross came from 3D screens which was down from the 52% of the 2012 pic but up from the 40% of last year's Captain America: The Winter Soldier. IMAX accounted for $18M from 364 screens this weekend, or 10% of the total take

Last edited:

asianway

I think you can look at the design flaws of BoG (not to mention the lousy food) or the very crappy LM ride and the still remaining 1988-era tents and say, that from a creative standpoint, that Not New Anymore Fantasyland was not successful or ''good'' from a creative viewpoint.
And they missed an opportunity to restore an indoor theatre to the MK. Best part of Starland

bhg469

I don't think many consider the area of Diagon Alley a failure, but the ride itself can be considered one seeing as how it's gone into Everest mode with its big finale...
It's not that bad, the effect is really still half working. Also it is far from the only effect on the ride.

I don't like spoiling it for anyone but by the time the fog kicks in, you sort of forget it because it indeed covers the hole very very well.

Animaniac93-98

I cannot fault MC for things they got confirmed at the time an article was published for changing, but I do wish they weren't so willing to censor themselves in their criticism to please TDA.

It feels like Miceage wants to have it both ways. Promote Disney-friendly fan type content/blogs, while offering critique on what happens at Disneyland. I still like the weekly park updates, but the other stuff (like the blu-ray reviews) are pretty weak.

The only park they're really willing to shame anymore is DLP...because some other site is writing the content.

Animaniac93-98

Before we get too far into the week, I just wanted to post Gitesh Pandya's overview on Age of Ultron's performance. Though we don't know what the actual attendence numbers for the film were, I suspect the drop in the number of 3D tickets sold contributed equally if not more than Mayweather-Pacquiao did to the decline in gross.

Speaking of 3D, I'm still surprised Disney didn't release Cinderella in the format. They did so for all their other recent fantasy remakes (Alice, Oz, Maleficent).

PhotoDave219

It feels like Miceage wants to have it both ways. Promote Disney-friendly fan type content/blogs, while offering critique on what happens at Disneyland. I still like the weekly park updates, but the other stuff (like the blu-ray reviews) are pretty weak.

The only park they're really willing to shame anymore is DLP...because some other site is writing the content.

Thats called balance. Its what sites should be doing, IMO.

Cesar R M

BTW, the earnings release was moved up to 8 a.m. due to this week's death of BoD member Sheryl Sandberg's husband, while on vacation in Mexico. I'm trying to determine when Bob will do his dog and pony show with the media.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but did any of you see/read the story on CNBC Pro http://www.cnbc.com/id/102644557? I can't help but wonder if this is Disney's official response to the 'Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China' Op-Ed that disappeared faster than a pizza placed in front of me. It might just be the requisite setup for the glowing Bob Iger lovefest that always follows these earnings calls. Or I suppose it could be a bit of both as they still need to do some cleanup in certain circles.
auch.. that dead hit pretty close.
Thats my town!!

in the other hand.. I really hate newspapers that hide their content behind paywalls.

Cesar R M

I'd argue that Avengers is a franchise and Iron Man and Guardian of the Galaxy and Hulk etc. Perfectly acceptable to have longer story arcs etc. But what Kevin, Ike and Co are doing is making the entire Marvel BRAND into a franchise. Want to enjoy and appreciate one film? Well, you need to see the other 19 in order to fully do so.

It's incredibly ballsy. And all it will take is two or three films that under-perform before Burbank interferes.

I get what they're doing. They're putting out comic book films that basically follow the comic book way of storytelling. DC is no different ... with it's Infinite Crisis' series where you have to buy 211 books in 56 titles in order to read the whole story. It was sorta the thing that first really turned me off comics ... and it really is a ballsy way of film making.
I wonder if they will go the comic way as well and package all the movies of the "beginning" then the "infinity wars" .. then "civil war" in steel boxes.

As in collections (or "volumes") of each story arcs.

doctornick

I wonder if they will go the comic way as well and package all the movies of the "beginning" then the "infinity wars" .. then "civil war" in steel boxes.

As in collections (or "volumes") of each story arcs.

Well, they sold "Phase 1" as a boxed set. I'm assuming they would do the same for each Phase, though they could also sell other combination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom