A Spirited Perfect Ten

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The price of this steak to me through my meat provider is 75. The cost at lobels is 110 not cooked.

So the price for a 32 oz cooked is dead on.
More first hand knowledge. Thanks again.
I don't think anyone is challenging the assertion other restaurants also charge the same for steak. I for one won't challenge an assertion that it may, in fact, be worth it.

The discussion is how out of touch are the powers behind Disney Springs that they think a restaurant of that caliber is suited to the stroller-jammed, Mickey plush-selling environment they have created.

That would be a worthy discussion. Unfortunately a lot of the discussion seems to be centered around the idea that since not everyone can afford a $60 steak, it shouldn't exist.

ParentsOf4

That would be a worthy discussion. Unfortunately a lot of the discussion seems to be centered around the idea that since not everyone can afford a $60 steak, it shouldn't exist.
If parents can afford (or are willing to go into debt) to pay $59.99 for a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table, then then can afford (or are willing to go into debt) to pay for a $115 steak for two.

I think we were simply having fun with offering a $115 steak at a restaurant that's likely to have overstimulated children being kept up too late by parents determined to squeeze everything they can out of their very expensive WDW vacations.

I know I was. :D

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If parents can afford (or are willing to go into debt) to pay $59.99 for a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table, then then can afford (or are willing to go into debt) to pay for a $115 steak for two.

I think we were simply having fun with offering a $115 steak at a restaurant that's likely to have overstimulated children being kept up too late by parents determined to squeeze everything they can out of their very expensive WDW vacations.

As long as the Boathouse isn't on the DDP, I think the stroller crowd will pass it right by. And, with what they seem to be going for with their menu, I can't imagine them making the DDP work financially.

gmajew

I'm going out on a short limb and say that Disney and its major operating partners can purchase for less than you based on their size and volume.

When Le Cellier charges $44 for a sirloin steak (likely 8 oz as Disney always goes smaller than industry standards) a la carte for lunch, they are making a poohload of moolah.

After all, there is profit on a $1 burger at McD's or BK or Wendy's.

Have you ever read a restaurant trade magazine those franchises of those concepts hate the 1 burger because they don't make money on it. It is a play to make the revenue on the drink and fry sale then.

The cost of Mcd bun alone is 13 cents. Add in the 1/8 lb of mystery meat which is still priced at roughly 2.25 per lb at their discount and you are looking .30 cents. Add in the two pickles onions ketchup and you have another .15 cents.

That is not a good margin.

I ran a 3000 unit chain so this in my wheel house so believe me the margins everyone is thinking are here on food is not.

Restaurants hope to make 10 percent profit. With the exceptional ones making 20-25 percent.

Based on disney puré volume they are on the higher end here but a place like boathouse is a independent that is paying them rent etc and based on rent figures I have seen for dwtn disney they are high.

I am not saying disney is not high on other things they are and can they serve a better product for the price they are at. With out a doubt but this item is actually priced fair.

gmajew

I am curious as to why you feel this isn't a huge risk for Disney. ... Euro Disney has bled money for most of its existence, yet I don't believe Michael Eisner ever lied to the public and Wall Street (he ll, he even threatened to shutter it on a few occasions ) and he certainly didn't censor opinions of others who understood the difficulties Disney faced in Paris.

So, yeah, I wonder where that optimism of yours flows from.

Here is why to a company like disney a 4-5b investment over a three or four year period is a fair risk for the potential return they can get.

If I am looking at where to grow parks in the world today you had two choices India and China.

So they took the gamble on China. I have turned down options to bring my brands to China as I think they are horrible market and I don't think my American style food will do well and nearly impossible to hit my standards For quality of product.

I don't dount it is going to struggle and they may fail miserably at it, but taking the risk is not a bad business decision. When your other arms are able to handle and support it.

As for the missing money or the corruption I don't know if it is true or not. Or the holdin media back on it. I do know it is very common practice for stories to be killed in the business world. Like it or not it happens not right but it happens all the time. Their is a reason PR agencies make millions off of big companies

Last edited:

Katie G

The price of this isn't meant to be attractive, it is meant to make everything else on the menu seem more affordable by comparison. There will be a few people that purchase for the novelty of saying they did it, like people do with the $500 Kobe Beef burger (or whatever ridiculous price they put on it), but most people won't bother to purchase and The Boathouse won't care.

But after you see the $115 steak, the mid-$50 steak looks like a steal, and that is the purpose behind offering this high priced item. Without the $115 steak, if all the menu items were around mid-$50s, you would probably perceive them to be all over priced.

the.dreamfinder

Rumor floating around on Twitter from Wondercon that Disney's considering doing a movie based on these guys headed by the Wreck it Ralph crew.

Between this and Microsoft's expressed desire to want to see Banjo as Smash DLC now that Nintendo's polling for possible new characters, it makes you wonder...

Silly fanboys, the project being helmed by the core creative team on "Wreck-it-Ralph" is currently working on "Zootopia".
Zootopia_D23-610x258.jpg

FigmentJedi

Silly fanboys, the project being helmed by the core creative team on "Wreck-it-Ralph" is currently working on "Zootopia".
Zootopia_D23-610x258.jpg
Which comes out next year. The claim is the Banjo film is coming in 2018 or 2019.
It's probably bunk, but heck, I'd totally be up for it. Of course, could always be a misinterpretation and BK are gonna be in Wreck It Ralph 2.

DDLand

Rumor floating around on Twitter from Wondercon that Disney's considering doing a movie based on these guys headed by the Wreck it Ralph crew.

Between this and Microsoft's expressed desire to want to see Banjo as Smash DLC now that Nintendo's polling for possible new characters, it makes you wonder...

I kind of see this as the perfect joke. The guys who worked on video game based movie must be working on another video game movie! It just makes sense! They did it before!

It's things like these that almost make too much sense that are sketchy. Like it's easy pickings from the rumor side of things.

With that said, sometimes creatives just stick to the proven formula...

Frankie The Beer

I dunno.

Are there going to be a lot of business executives dining at company expense at The Boathouse? (I'll admit to being part of more than a few $1,000+ tabs in my day; there might even be one or two $5,000 tabs in there. :jawdrop:)

Come to think of it, if Disney can get away with charging $59.99 for Cinderella's Royal Table, The Boathouse might actually be considered a bargain. :D

Well, considering you can get a 4 course steak dinner at Shula's for the same price, per person mind you, $115 for two I feel is getting well blown out of proportion. You can also check local prices at Ruth Chris steakhouse and the almost same cut is about the same price, depending on where you live.

We won't talk about prices for the Las Vegas resort area steakhouses, which do indeed make the Orlando resort area look like a bargain.

I don't know where they are going to invest these profits but, for some reason, discussing "Draft Kings" makes me really thirsty. :D

I would guess any profits would go towards the increasing licensing cost of the major sports that ESPN is contracted to show. Those costs go up every year taking a bite out of ESPN's profits, so it would make something like Draft Kings, or possibly in the long run, maybe buying out Draft Kings and making it a ESPN branded fantasy sports site a pretty compelling acquisition. Fantasy sports is a $7 billion dollar industry at this time, it would make sense for some forward thinking person to get in and grab a slice of that pie since there is no real clear cut leader.

CaptainAmerica

The discussion is how out of touch are the powers behind Disney Springs that they think a restaurant of that caliber is suited to the stroller-jammed, Mickey plush-selling environment they have created.
I bet you a billion Stanley Nickels that it's a 45 minute wait to get in, minimum, every Friday and Saturday night for the first three years (at least).

We'll see who's "out of touch" then.

ETA: FWIW, I think the whole steakhouse thing is for the birds anyways. The ratio of price to "how much better is it than what I can cook myself" is all out of whack. I can cook an amazing piece of meat that I get from the local butcher and it tastes just as good as what I'd pay $50 for at a steakhouse. Other offerings at "fine" dining establishments, I am unable to replicate (looking at you Artist Point pork belly and Cali Grill duck confit).

BernardandBianca

I believe the cost for a dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table has increased to between approximately $68-76 per adult.

PhotoDave219

Two of those steaks and I'm sure you can find a Cinderella thats willing to visit your hotel.

truecoat

I bet you a billion Stanley Nickels that it's a 45 minute wait to get in, minimum, every Friday and Saturday night for the first three years (at least).

We'll see who's "out of touch" then.

ETA: FWIW, I think the whole steakhouse thing is for the birds anyways. The ratio of price to "how much better is it than what I can cook myself" is all out of whack. I can cook an amazing piece of meat that I get from the local butcher and it tastes just as good as what I'd pay $50 for at a steakhouse. Other offerings at "fine" dining establishments, I am unable to replicate (looking at you Artist Point pork belly and Cali Grill duck confit).

A true steakhouse ages the meat and that is a hard one to accomplish at home. This also contributes to the price as the meat shrinks while aging.

If you are in Minneapolis, Manny's Steakhouse is the place to go.

It all starts with the meat cart....

6a00d8341cad8253ef017ee3d0608b970d-320wi

WildcatDen

Greatest Spirited Tweet (that I can't put out):

Sent in by a fanboi friend, apparently Scarlett Litton (I know she has an account here, but forgot her screen name) spent some quality time in the new Hub recently and discovered that it is an amazing place to see something you don't normally see in Disney Parks due to all the turf 'seating'. Namely, certain parts of the female anatomy.

Now, while this would normally interest me considering WDW's typical guests these days, I could theorize that someone might go blind by looking in the right/wrong direction!
Ah. Reminds me of the Friends Episode where Pheobe's guy wore his shorts a bit. . . loose? Top Gun at King's island, with it's overhead cue line, can create some interesting views, or so I am told. . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom