A Spirited Perfect Ten

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Beef prices are higher then ever and show no sign of falling for another 18-24 months. Even the new gourmet level burger places are feeling the pinch and having to make decision to go to cheaper cuts of meat for their grinds or continue with the better quality product and increasing the price to keep margins.

I was paying for example 2.84 per lb of beef at one of my establishments jan 2014 now I am paying nearly 5.20 for the same product.

Wow. That's a huge difference. Thanks for the info, it's good to have some actual facts to go along with the mock outrage.

PhotoDave219

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Disney's film studios continued to make money. The only year the division lost money before Eisner took charge was 1983.

They were renting out Disney classics or pumping out cheap films with low production value but, as a result, none had to be blockbusters in order for the division to be profitable. In fact, most years, "Filmed Entertainment" (as they called it) had better operating margins than Parks & Resorts.

At no point were the studios "in serious financial trouble".

Again, the problem was that the Disney stock was undervalued.

The singles and doubles strategy for those not familiar with the concept. Highly profitable, low cost movies essentially.

Horizons1

[WAY-OT]
The War of Northern Aggression was about states rights vs a all powerful federal government. Steam powered cotton gin's were putting an end to the economic value of slavery a few more years and the system would have failed of it's own weight, Does not make slavery RIGHT in any case. But Lincoln did not start the war to free the slaves.

From Lincoln's letter to Horace Greeley

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

Based on today's USG killing indiscriminately with Drones etc, I think the wrong side won the War of Northern Aggression.
[WAY-OT]

I like this guy. He knows his .

tribbleorlfl

Gibson's in Chicago has a Porterhouse for 2 on their menu for $100. I guess the extra $15 is for the pixie dust;)
I was going to say, mid-$50's/lb of protein at a high-end restaurant is not unheard of. We briefly considered Shula's when we were down in Miami last weekend, but decided $40-50 for a steak just wasn't for us. The 20 oz Cowboy was $45, I believe.

Factoring in the location and novelty, the premium is understandable. However, will the quality be commensurate with a high-end restaurant to charge these kind of prices in the first place? Considering it's a Landry's owned and operated restaurant, I'm dubious.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was going to say, mid-$50's/lb of protein at a high-end restaurant is not unheard of. We briefly considered Shula's when we were down in Miami last weekend, but decided $40-50 for a steak just wasn't for us. The 20 oz Cowboy was $45, I believe.

Factoring in the location and novelty, the premium is understandable. However, will the quality be commensurate with a high-end restaurant to charge these kind of prices in the first place? Considering it's a Landry's owned and operated restaurant, I'm dubious.
Quality is yet to be seen. It's not operated by Landry's it's going to be operated by Gibson's Restaurant Group which is the owner of the Gibsons Steakhouses in Chicago. If the quality is on par with Gibson's Steakhouse it will be better than Shula's.

stevehousse

I have no idea what the difference is between Peter Parker or Miles Morales in regards to Spider-Man. All I know is that they are trying to cast young for the role...

71jason

I don't think anyone is challenging the assertion other restaurants also charge the same for steak. I for one won't challenge an assertion that it may, in fact, be worth it.

The discussion is how out of touch are the powers behind Disney Springs that they think a restaurant of that caliber is suited to the stroller-jammed, Mickey plush-selling environment they have created.

BrerJon

“Money is something I understand only vaguely, and think about it only when I don’t have enough to finance my current enthusiasm, whatever it may be. All I know about money is that I have to have it to do things. I don’t want to bank my dividends, I’d rather keep my money working. I regard it as a moral obligation to pay back borrowed money. When I make a profit, I don’t squander it or hide it away; I immediately plow it back into a fresh project. I have little respect for money as such; I regard it merely as a medium for financing new ideas. I neither wish nor intend to amass a personal fortune. Money—or, rather the lack of it to carryout my ideas—may worry me, but it does not excite me. Ideas excite me.” -Walt Disney

The exact opposite is true for every sentence of that when considering Bob Iger's views.

NearTheEars

image.jpg

ParentsOf4

I don't think anyone is challenging the assertion other restaurants also charge the same for steak. I for one won't challenge an assertion that it may, in fact, be worth it.

The discussion is how out of touch are the powers behind Disney Springs that they think a restaurant of that caliber is suited to the stroller-jammed, Mickey plush-selling environment they have created.
I dunno.

Are there going to be a lot of business executives dining at company expense at The Boathouse? (I'll admit to being part of more than a few $1,000+ tabs in my day; there might even be one or two $5,000 tabs in there. :jawdrop:)

Come to think of it, if Disney can get away with charging $59.99 for Cinderella's Royal Table, The Boathouse might actually be considered a bargain. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Agreed. It's hard for me to imagine the demand will be high enough to support multiple high end restaurants like this.

I do think that the Landing area could end up being a little less of a stroller-jammed, Mickey plush selling environment. I'm assuming these places won't be taking DDP. Paying cash and not having the obvious appeal to children that places like T-Rex and Rainforest have may turn off a lot of families with young kids and strollers. I'm not saying there won't be kids here or that having kids there is even entirely a bad thing. A lot of people want a more adult focused area at Disney Springs. Maybe that's what they are going for with this lineup of restaurants.

gmajew

The interesting thing is that a multibillion dollar company usually has a lot of leverage to squeeze its suppliers.

Not that I have any first-hand knowledge. :)

Yes they do but only to a certain point. For example cheese market is usually bought and locked in at a number over block pricing.

So for a chain I ran the best we could do was 10 cents over block. And what ever the market ran we were locked at that markup.

Beef we were able to set the orice for a year at a time. Then every year it was adjusted and we could gamble to lock it or go with market. We always locked.

We then moved into buying entire heards of cattle to lock prices as we promised the farmers the entire yield. His was the cheapest way to keep our price point down but even then the price was only marginally better.

So disney maybe getting this steak for 60 bucks but still the margin is not as great as you think.

gmajew

Agreed. It's hard for me to imagine the demand will be high enough to support multiple high end restaurants like this.

I do think that the Landing area could end up being a little less of a stroller-jammed, Mickey plush selling environment. I'm assuming these places won't be taking DDP. Paying cash and not having the obvious appeal to children that places like T-Rex and Rainforest have may turn off a lot of families with young kids and strollers. I'm not saying there won't be kids here or that having kids there is even entirely a bad thing. A lot of people want a more adult focused area at Disney Springs. Maybe that's what they are going for with this lineup of restaurants.

With the conventions business they do the place will be busy. Plus many many people will want to eat a better meal.

This item won't move much but the 50-60 price items will. And no one will blink an eye for it if quality is right.

Goofyernmost

There is no limit to how much people will pay for anything that they perceive to have "snob" appeal. We are not the brightest species to inhabit the universe I'm afraid. I'm guessing that steak served at a high end restaurant probably has little tiny black ties attached to the grizzle to give it that extra shot of class. :rolleyes: I think that I would probably die laughing if someday, like the commercial a couple of years ago, everyone finds out that they buy their meat at Walmart. :jawdrop::joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom