A Spirited Perfect Ten

redjebvt

OK, I think we all know that I like @WDWFigment and agree with many of his views on things about the parks biz.

That said, in combing the Twitverse I read that he advises people to not rent cars when visiting WDW and I just don't know how many degrees of wrong that is. He feels it takes away from the ''resort experience''. My comeback to that is that TDO has done everything and anything possible to do just that over the last decade plus themselves. And I think it's dangerous to tell folks they don't need a rental because that basically tells them, despite all common sense to the contrary, that they should give Disney their $$$ for resorts and dining. And if they want to go to UNI 'for a day' they can simply take a cab or shuttle service.

My advice: whatever you do, don't visit WDW and be stuck in a Mouse Trap. You can have an amazingly great time, even if you (shudder!!!) leave EPCOT for dinner at Uno's or lunch at Chik-Fil-A. Really ...
We did exactly this on a previous visit - pulled an early day (or two) in some of the parks for dinner elsewhere (Uno's was one of our stops). Due to the cost of flying and our (relatively reasonable) proximity to WDW, we always drive down. However, even once on property, we still drive, including to the parks. I find it MUCH more efficient than trying to use WDW's bus transportation system. No comparison, in my opinion.

BrerJon

The issue is, not everyone can rent cars just fyi ;)

Non-drivers are covered - taxi cabs and Ubers are plentiful in Orlando, and while it's a bit pricey to head up to Universal the whole time, anyone staying off property in a nice hotel and taking a cab to the WDW parks will still be saving substantially over WDW room rates, even including the cab fare in the price.

BrerJon

The entire point of the Springfield overlay was to retheme the food court.

If Disney had a food court that wasn't pulling the numbers like International Food and Film wasn't, it would swiftly become 'open seasonally' (ie - closed).

Universal on the other hand took the opportunity to turn one of the quietest locations in the park to one of the most popular. It's such a different mindset.

NearTheEars

So, Mr. Mongello is asking for "donations" now in exchange for extended content/products.
I would have respected the decision more if he just came out and called it a pay wall, or club or something.

DocAlan02

The Us vs. Them argument is an interesting one. I read this board daily, although I very rarely post. I am 46 yeas old and a life-long Disney fan, having first visited in the mid-70s. I was a cast member from '91-'94, and have visited around 12 or so times since. I do sometimes lament the way things used to be, although that is mostly from a customer-service point of view. I just don't find the CMs as friendly or as accommodating as I did back then. That said, as soon as we get back from a trip, we can't wait to go again. Yes, I'd like to see some things change, and I do like the things that are (slowly) in the works. I am not wildly negative about any of it, though...I still love the place. I guess part of that is I have been able to see it through the eyes of my children all along...my twin girls were born there (they're now 20), and my son (who is about to be 4) has been to WDW three times and DLR once in his short existence. They all love it.

Not sure the point of my post, other than to say that I guess I can see both sides of the argument. When it comes to WDW, I have always considered myself an "Us," but in the sense that the term is being used here, I guess maybe I am more of a "Them."

71jason

My brother pulled it saturday & sunday.

The trick is to FP+ the headliners (POTC, HM, BTMM) and keep moving into something that is loading now or short wait (Tiki/COP). Keep moving, it can be done.

Yeah, it can be done--if you know the park and have a brother who lives WDW (and oh yeah, parents who work there, lol). ;)

Average guest, I'm sure number of rides roughly corresponds to their level of enjoyment--if they are having a good day, they stay and ride more. But it doesn't drive it. Because most of them aren't even using FP and don't know all the plans and strategies.

71jason

Then why have Star Wars Weekends if Star Wars isn't a draw for the park? Why did they spend $4 billion for it if they don't have any confidence in it?

SWW is a hell of a lot cheaper than building a new land.

Also, they can sell a ton of merch to the hard core fanbase (which I still maintain is relatively tiny and mostly CMs/lifestylers, but a debate for May) without building a billion-dollar land.

DisDan

The Us vs. Them argument is an interesting one. I read this board daily, although I very rarely post. I am 46 yeas old and a life-long Disney fan, having first visited in the mid-70s. I was a cast member from '91-'94, and have visited around 12 or so times since. I do sometimes lament the way things used to be, although that is mostly from a customer-service point of view. I just don't find the CMs as friendly or as accommodating as I did back then. That said, as soon as we get back from a trip, we can't wait to go again. Yes, I'd like to see some things change, and I do like the things that are (slowly) in the works. I am not wildly negative about any of it, though...I still love the place. I guess part of that is I have been able to see it through the eyes of my children all along...my twin girls were born there (they're now 20), and my son (who is about to be 4) has been to WDW three times and DLR once in his short existence. They all love it.

Not sure the point of my post, other than to say that I guess I can see both sides of the argument. When it comes to WDW, I have always considered myself an "Us," but in the sense that the term is being used here, I guess maybe I am more of a "Them."

I first went to Disney when I was 5 in 1983 and we went as a family about every other year after that until I was about 18. I have 2 children now ages 2 and 5 and they have both been twice. I remember the old days very fondly and have a ton of memories at the former EPCOT Center and the old MK.... But to be honest, the new WDW we have today, while different, is still capable of evoking similar memories for me and our children. For us as parents because we get to see our children s faces as they experience everything WDW has to offer. For our children, as they experience the parks as they are today it is still an amazing place to be. Ultimately it's a get away from reality, a time to make memories. I don't like to get caught up in the comparisons to what Disney used to be. Because I refuse to let that take away from enjoying this time period with my children and making positive memories to share for a lifetime with them.

The experience is still what you make of it. I choose to enjoy my time there and NOT linger in what was. We usually stay off-site and try to make WDW vacations as economical as feasible. I have a lot of good memories at the UNI parks too and when my kids are old enough to really enjoy everything UNI has to offer we will surely make time to visit UNI as well. I don't get the US vs Them debate. Sorry @WDW1974 I just don't think it's Black and White like that.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't know, I kind of see it. A day where a guests does 9+ attractions was a day with moderate-at-best crowds. Walkways weren't jammed, you could find a seat a lunch without too much effort, CMs weren't stressed out of their minds, maybe even took a few minutes to chat. An altogether much more pleasant experience than a day so busy the average guests gets 4 or 5 rides down before throwing in the towel.

The logical fallacy, of course, is assuming that riding 9 rides--rather than the conditions that allowed the guest to ride 9 rides comfortably--is what made the guest happy. But unlike the LSAT, there's no logic test on the GMAT. So a common MBA mistake.
We were there Dec 21 to Jan 2, busiest time of the year. Went to parks 10 days, and never from open to close or anything like that. I think we hit at least 10 attractions/shows every day but 2. With FP+, it's easier to do that while actually hitting the big attractions as well.

We did exactly this on a previous visit - pulled an early day (or two) in some of the parks for dinner elsewhere (Uno's was one of our stops). Due to the cost of flying and our (relatively reasonable) proximity to WDW, we always drive down. However, even once on property, we still drive, including to the parks. I find it MUCH more efficient than trying to use WDW's bus transportation system. No comparison, in my opinion.

I did this on the last visit as well. Used credit card points so the car was "free". Biggest highlight of having it was driving to McD's on Buena Vista Dr. Pulled in right as last year's Super Bowl was starting. Plan was to go back to AKL and watch the game with food in hand. Given Seattle got a safety and a field goal by the time we got our food, we quickly ate at McD's and watched Seattle score again. I had the wife drop my two oldest kids (4 total) and I off at Animal Kingdom and we got to ride EE 3X with no wait and watched Bug's Life once all in about 45 minutes before taking the bus transport back to AKL. Had a 30+ minute wait for the less than 5 minute drive to AKL. One of the longest waits we had all trip.

Way more memorable doing EE like that than watching Seattle blow Denver out. Though, I'll also always remember watching the lame SB MVP parade at MK the following day. Single convertible with Mickey and Malcolm Smith, the MVP. Not nearly as exciting as all those commercials over the year's made it seem.

Mike S

I first went to Disney when I was 5 in 1983 and we went as a family about every other year after that until I was about 18. I have 2 children now ages 2 and 5 and they have both been twice. I remember the old days very fondly and have a ton of memories at the former EPCOT Center and the old MK.... But to be honest, the new WDW we have today, while different, is still capable of evoking similar memories for me and our children. For us as parents because we get to see our children s faces as they experience everything WDW has to offer. For our children, as they experience the parks as they are today it is still an amazing place to be. Ultimately it's a get away from reality, a time to make memories. I don't like to get caught up in the comparisons to what Disney used to be. Because I refuse to let that take away from enjoying this time period with my children and making positive memories to share for a lifetime with them.

The experience is still what you make of it. I choose to enjoy my time there and NOT linger in what was. We usually stay off-site and try to make WDW vacations as economical as feasible. I have a lot of good memories at the UNI parks too and when my kids are old enough to really enjoy everything UNI has to offer we will surely make time to visit UNI as well. I don't get the US vs Them debate. Sorry @WDW1974 I just don't think it's Black and White like that.
As critical as I am I don't let the bad things ruin my enjoyment of WDW when I'm there either. I still have a lot of fun when I go which is why I still plan to go back later this year. Maybe in November. Of course sometimes it can't be helped like when I see the condition some of the rides have gotten in and the bad decisions that are made (Frostrom). WDW is still fun but that doesn't excuse any of its problems.

matt78

SWW is a hell of a lot cheaper than building a new land.

Also, they can sell a ton of merch to the hard core fanbase (which I still maintain is relatively tiny and mostly CMs/lifestylers, but a debate for May) without building a billion-dollar land.

That's true. It's just strange to me that Star Wars is the closest thing they have to sure fire hit and they are to afraid to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom