A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I particularly applaud Iger's handling of the Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney redo. In 7 short years they have gone from an entertainment/retail center to an entertainment/retail center. The blistering pace of this transformation has been impressive, to say the least.
zufLMZS.gif

comments like these always makes me smile, laugh and have a good day!

Cesar R M

Or how about... "mr iger, would you be willing to do Undercover Boss in the theme parks?" :D
Honestly, that wouldn't t work fully.
Have you seen the undercover boss of one of the CEOS of the Cruise Industry?
The guy got special treatment since the start. Like getting a deluxe internal cabin and not the usual employee ones.
He got to dine in the Officer's mess hall and not with the "commoners" (aka less than 1 stripe officers and employees).

So I wouldn't be surprised if Iger would get a top class Suite. All while he "works" at the Disney frontline guarded by an army of cast members in the slowest days of WDW.

Longhairbear

I suspect the changes to the lobby have A LOT to do with the current 'Meh reception of the Poly DVC changes along with the lack of 1 and 2 BR units as a LOT of us prefer these units over studios especially for a LONG trip.

The water feature WAS iconic and contributed greatly to the atmosphere of the lobby, Did the lobby need a refresh. Yes, yes it did but not at the cost of removing an iconic feature of the hotel.

The buzz at MouseOwners (DVC centric pixie duster site) is NOT positive for the Poly DVC.
I haven't been to Mouse owners in a while, thanks for reminding me.
It's interesting, this turning of the tide by DVC members. They are the same ones, that for years, have longed for a Poly DVC, now they are not enthused about it. Might this DVC be a tough sell for adding on points to members? Personally I won't add on there, still waiting for more VGC, which will probably never happen.
We also prefer a one bedroom, and Poly has none.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Apology to ALL MAGICal Members and TDO: I have been such a huge, huge schmuck (not say, a small wolverine sized one!) I had no freaking clue that ... get ready for this one, sit down Matilda because I've had some tequila ... DISNEY IS A BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, anyone who says that as a response to any issue with the way TWDC or WDW Co are being managed is someone that I'd consider a schmuck and someone not worthy of my time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was in Hong Kong in 2009. As a Disney fan then I chose Ocean Park over Disney because HKDL was more WDW then WDW at the time but much smaller!
When I was on Lantau I chose the seated Buddha. Now they are finally improving Disneyland.
Btw I always enjoy your posts.

I love Ocean Park, some of its vistas are just breathtaking (the gondolas from the back of the park to the front), the coaster that has track over the South China Sea. But it is a hodgepodge of 70s amusement park and aquarium along with 90s theme park rides and incredible new animal exhibits with top notch theming, all on multiple levels.

It is interesting and I can't wait to experience it again (the Grand Aquarium was just being started on my last visit). Not looking forward to the mess the new Aberdeen MTR construction is causing.

But, as a Disney fan, I'd never visit HK and not go to DL. The place won me over on my first visit on a wretchedly hot and humid and sunny August day in 2008. And I fell in love when I lived there for part of 2010 and watched the construction start on the three new mini-lands. All HKDL has done is get better every year since opening. ... Can you say the same thing about the MK? You know, the world's (cough ... cough ... choke ... ) No. 1 attended theme park? OK, can you say it without the medicinal marijuana? Can you say it without Mickey's Lifestyler henchmen holding a giant turkey leg at your head?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can't like this enough times.

I think that great blog post was really onto something about the two WDWs, and explains why people here can explain until their blue in the face how things have declined, while those unfamiliar with the past just don't get what anyone's complaining about and think everything is amazing - it's because they're judging it as Disney brand world, rather than an immersive vacation kingdom built by the Disney company.

Oh, c'mon ... it's not all that good. ... But, yeah, sadly it is accurate.

And that's why I'll comment about the whole Us Against Them mentality that has taken over the fan community (and why it's another reason this is my last Spirited thread) in the next day or so now that it's holiday weekend time.

The US would be those WDW fans who fell in the love with the resort and the product from 1971-1996 (largely, I use '96 since that's when signs of trouble first appeared and it marked WDW's first quarter century of operation).

The THEY would be the fans of WDW who became fans in the last 14 or so years.

And THEY most assuredly, due largely to technology and the Internet AND Disney's manipulation of it, have won almost all of the battles.

Of course, as a young fanboi friend and fellow MAGICal member corrected me on a recent conversation, THEY haven't won the war yet. And it's far from over. Change can happen overnight when the right force is applied to the right pressure points at the right time.

tigger1968

And that's why I'll comment about the whole Us Against Them mentality that has taken over the fan community (and why it's another reason this is my last Spirited thread) in the next day or so now that it's holiday weekend time.

The US would be those WDW fans who fell in the love with the resort and the product from 1971-1996 (largely, I use '96 since that's when signs of trouble first appeared and it marked WDW's first quarter century of operation).

And THEY most assuredly, due largely to technology and the Internet AND Disney's manipulation of it, have won almost all of the battles.

Of course, as a young fanboi friend and fellow MAGICal member corrected me on a recent conversation, THEY haven't won the war yet. And it's far from over. Change can happen overnight when the right force is applied to the right pressure points at the right time.

US and THEY (THEM?) I hadn't really thought of it that way until recently. Really as I spent time in this thread to be honest. I realize more and more that I readily embrace my being an "US". I'm happy to be one. I know what the parks used to be like, and what they could be again. I remember when Imagineering seemed to mean something. These days it seems more about what "off the shelf" ride systems are out there, and what IP that TWDC has purchased will be plastered on to it. I hate the gutting of live entertainment in the parks. (I hear the chainsaws in Epcot sound oh so lovely across the lake...) I still love the parks, but hate where they seem to be headed.

I guess I long for the days when, if something didn't exist, Disney just built it, or created it and THEN built it. There is a thread here about the Fort Wilderness RR, and while I knew it existed, I was amazed to find that when they decided to build one, they wanted a smaller scale RR, so they just built the whole thing themselves, from scratch. Locomotives and all. (I won't go into the problems they had with them...lol) I just admired that somebody said we'll make our own.

I know that times have changed, and so has TWDC, and as such, WDW. But that doesn't mean that I can't be that grumpy guy who still wanders through the MK and wonders what Walt would think of the place. Heck, I'm still mad about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and 20,000 Leagues... :rolleyes:

Tony Perkis

A couple decisions could have tweaked them tremendously; the last bit of mansion is great and takes a nice dark turn.
Haunted Mansion had a few good moments of solid imagery, but the story is mostly terrible. As is nearly everything about Country Bears.

The only way to make them good movies is to burn the master copies of each film and remake them properly.

Snowflake82

Glad to know that I am an US! :) Is your last paragraph meant to give us hope that a change is gonna come? Or is that more of a "none of knows for sure what the future holds" comment?

Nemo14

I really don't see that happening. The WDW we loved is gone; there's no reason to go back to the high standards of the past when there are enough people who blindly settle for mediocrity at ridiculous prices. I just wonder what happens 10 to 20 years from now when the next generation starts having families. Without the inspiring memories of wonder and amazement that we have, what would be their reason to return? (other than those remaining years on their DVC contracts)?

Last edited:

bhg469

I really don't see that happening. The WDW we loved is gone; there's no reason to go back to the high standards of the past when there are enough people who blindly settle for medicrity at ridiculous prices. I just wonder what happens 10 to 20 years from now when the next generation starts having families. Without the inspiring memories of wonder and amazement that we have, what would be their reason to return? (other than those remaining years on their DVC contracts)?
Because it's the thing to do when you have kids silly! Their parents will already be addicted to the Kool aid, hook their kids while they're young.

ParentsOf4

I view the 'us' versus 'them' camps a bit differently since there are several who visited WDW decades ago and still defend it.

One camp is satisfied with the way WDW is.

The other camp wants a return to the way WDW was.

It's difficult for me to take seriously anyone who thinks WDW hasn't declined in the last 10-20 years. However, I understand why they think WDW still is good enough.

WDW still is 'good enough'.

That's WDW's problem.

WDW has spiraled downward from 'best in class' to 'good enough'. Within the Disney family of theme parks, WDW is at or near the bottom. There now are non-Disney theme parks in the world that have surpassed WDW's current level of service and quality.

That doesn't mean WDW isn't good. WDW still is better than most other theme parks. And no other place can match WDW for sheer size. For those wanting a theme park centric vacation, its size alone arguably makes it the best place to visit for longer vacations.

However, WDW is no longer great like it once was.

At today's WDW, mediocrity rules.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom