A Spirited Perfect Ten

SirLink

It can't be used as a standalone fact is the bottom line (not arguing with you just elaborating).

It has to be supported as a good business decisions.

For example, I hate to do this, but if you look at the crowding around the hub, expanding that area to decrease guest complaints (or head them off) is a good business decision. The argument could be made that a larger business plan across the parks to redistribute crowds would be a better decision or that the the end result of the hub's atheistic could nullify the logistical enhancements, but the concept alone of increase foot traffic space is a good decision.

But for every "good" TWDC business decision it has multiple objectively better decisions that could of been implemented in its place.

For example, if we use the example of the hub expansion and the fact that MK starts going crazy at around 50,000 guests in the park. Better business decision for guests cap capacity at 50,000 and put money into the other 3 parks on rides to draw guests away from MK. Instead they decided to start on a high visibility project to make it slightly more bearable on the days when MK hits 75,000+ capacity, instead of hitting the root cause of the problem.

The argument that we should take all guests complaints as equal is inherently a bad business decision, such as removing Alien Encounter because it was too scary. The idea of cramming more and more people into a finite space is a bad business decision. It should be fix the number of people coming into the park to limit the impact on another guest.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So I haven't heard of it talked about here, but what does everyone think of Uni's new metal detector to get on a ride procedure that is happening at rip rock it coaster? It's said to be expanded to more rides and is currently testing. This sounds utterly ridiculous to me! I know they have a weird strict policy about not bringing anything on rides with you, but this is to the extreme!!! No thanks Uni...

Depends on the acceleration/deceleration curves - if it's fast enough a metal object could cause severe injuries.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There is still such a program, though I don't remember the cost. It is called the Platinum plan and it includes Dining and unlimited Tours and Recreation. There might also be one called the Premium plan which is Dine, and limited Tours and Recreation. It still exists.
The Platinum Plan is pretty inclusive, but extremely expensive. It is $254/day for adults and $184/day for children under 10. It has to purchased for the entire length of stay for everyone in the room with a Magic Your Way package. Of course, you do get unlimited golf, a free golf lesson from a pro, unlimited tours, free Characters in Flight (once per person), one free spa treatment per person, one free fireworks cruise, one free La Nouba show, free horseback rides, carriage rides, pony rides, tennis, free watercraft rentals, free watersports from Sammy Duvalls, and of course you get dining credits for each day, and even the signature or in-room dining is only 1 credit each, instead of 2 for the signature restaurants. You also get a meal at Victoria & Alberts, but only the main dining room, and no wine flight (well, you can pay the extra for it). In some cases the gratuity is included as well, and you also get an appetizer at the TS meals.

I guess if you were going to Disney and not visiting the parks very much, and wanted to do nothing but all of these, it might be worth it. You'd have to really sit down and add up all of the expenses for each item, and decide if the $254/day is worth it. Of course, that is on TOP of the Magic Your Way package which you have to purchase park tickets for the length of stay as well.

So one example. Grand Floridian at Food & Wine - Oct 3-10. Theme park view room with 8 day park hoppers - $6,600. Add the Premium plan - $10,175!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I believe you're referring to the old Gold Key Plan. It was great, everything prepaid and available for as many times to do as you wanted. (One correction: the carts were included, as were golf shoes, clubs, and everything else for golf except balls.) There was really only two downsides to the Gold Key: since three meals a day were included, with appetizers., entree, non-alcoholic beverage and dessert, by the fourth or fifth day the kids were complaining about having to actually eat another meal. ("But I don't wanna go to the Coral Reef and eat more food.") And since tip was included and based on the price of the underlying meal, the wait staff was delighted to have you order the biggest and best food choices (which cost the most), and were always recommending those types of meals. The second downside was that the kids became accustomed to eating prime rib, and lobster, and steak, and having shrimp appetizers, and were really disappointed with meals once we returned home.

Thanks @BernardandBianca that was it, That program was WONDERFUL you literally could do anything, Golf I was not interested in at the time, It was not until I worked for an Insurance company and the VP of the department asked if I played golf, At first I answered no, I was asked again and said 'Of Course' and immediately took lessons

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Platinum Plan is pretty inclusive, but extremely expensive. It is $254/day for adults and $184/day for children under 10. It has to purchased for the entire length of stay for everyone in the room with a Magic Your Way package. Of course, you do get unlimited golf, a free golf lesson from a pro, unlimited tours, free Characters in Flight (once per person), one free spa treatment per person, one free fireworks cruise, one free La Nouba show, free horseback rides, carriage rides, pony rides, tennis, free watercraft rentals, free watersports from Sammy Duvalls, and of course you get dining credits for each day, and even the signature or in-room dining is only 1 credit each, instead of 2 for the signature restaurants. You also get a meal at Victoria & Alberts, but only the main dining room, and no wine flight (well, you can pay the extra for it). In some cases the gratuity is included as well, and you also get an appetizer at the TS meals.

I guess if you were going to Disney and not visiting the parks very much, and wanted to do nothing but all of these, it might be worth it. You'd have to really sit down and add up all of the expenses for each item, and decide if the $254/day is worth it. Of course, that is on TOP of the Magic Your Way package which you have to purchase park tickets for the length of stay as well.

So one example. Grand Floridian at Food & Wine - Oct 3-10. Theme park view room with 8 day park hoppers - $6,600. Add the Premium plan - $10,175!

Interesting, I was not aware that this program was still around in another form, It may be worth taking advantage of for a short trip I have planned.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I love this quote:
"In our business, you can only rest on your laurels for so long; and after 20 years of doing exactly that, we needed to figure out a way to get guests to understand why everything is good just the way it is," said Matt Cleary, senior creative consultant for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Yup, sounds about right!

I would just love to hear Tony Baxter and Eddie Sotto's comments on that, I suspect they would not be suitable for polite company.

EDIT

I expect that even for a 1 April post the comments would not be polite.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Interesting, I was not aware that this program was still around in another form.
If you look at all of the freebies that you get, you can actually make the price work for you. In one day you can do the Keys to the Kingdom tour, have a Mani/Pedi at Senses at the Grand Floridian, dinner at Narcoosees, and then a Wishes cruise. For a party of 2, the plan would be $508 for the day, but when you add up what it would cost to do all of that, you are looking at over $930 just for that day! If you spread things out, do a golf outing with watersports on day 2 with a dinner at V&As, then the Backstage Magic Tour on day 3, add in a few carriage and horseback rides, and you can easily save a ton of money with the plan.

I am NOT advocating that anyone do this!! I'm just pointing out for those with enough funds, and don't want to do a lot of park time (except for all the tours!), then you can actually save money by purchasing this plan, if you want to do all of the other free activities that the plan allows.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The first comparison I made to the "Disney is a business crowd" was Montgomery Ward. They were a very successful business. And where are they now? Kodak is far along its way to the same conclusion. Sears and JC Penny are doing their darndest to follow the path too. IBM, HP, PanAm the roads are littered with businesses that once meant quality that are shadows of what they were, or long gone.

Disney is not immune. And pretending they're not, isn't going to help them in the long run. To quote Edison and The American Adventure, "Discontent is the first necessity of progress." Necessity. I don't want Disney to be left behind.

Look at Walt's comment

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

Guess Walt was a D&G'er - because he looked for things that were wrong and how to correct them.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If you look at all of the freebies that you get, you can actually make the price work for you. In one day you can do the Keys to the Kingdom tour, have a Mani/Pedi at Senses at the Grand Floridian, dinner at Narcoosees, and then a Wishes cruise. For a party of 2, the plan would be $508 for the day, but when you add up what it would cost to do all of that, you are looking at over $930 just for that day! If you spread things out, do a golf outing with watersports on day 2 with a dinner at V&As, then the Backstage Magic Tour on day 3, add in a few carriage and horseback rides, and you can easily save a ton of money with the plan.

I am NOT advocating that anyone do this!! I'm just pointing out for those with enough funds, and don't want to do a lot of park time (except for all the tours!), then you can actually save money by purchasing this plan, if you want to do all of the other free activities that the plan allows.

This would be a great weekend getaway for DW and I.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Wdwtoday just did a podcast on this. All the guys created a schedule of the activities and dining they would do on the plan. It was fun listening to all the possibilities. Fun...but sounds exhausting to do/eat so much in one day.

Cesar R M

I paint them as neither a villain nor a hero; rather they are a business who is after mine and everyone else's dollars.

Some things I am not questioning - Frozen. I hate it personally but it makes some crazy sense. I just wonder what happens when the craze passes?

Trader SAMs? More plz.

The Poly & The Tiki? It's not what it once was. And I feel they could've done a better job with the lobby. And I despise the bungalows. But on the whole, i'll be going more now. Nice to have the parking lot back.

The hub - eh. It needed expanding, def., but I really feel they need some trees and shade and real grass for their gas so when the average temperature goes between 90 and 100° every afternoon for nine months out of the year. I'll go with it but it's not the world's biggest deal to me…

The pace of expansion and utilizing new attractions to drive growth as well as viewing the theme parks as a mature business? As the great Ricky Ricardo once said, "Lucy, you've got some 'splainin to do."

Juking the stats? (see season 3 of "the wire" for the reference or Google it) I feel this company plays too many games with numbers. They're more concerned with hitting their numbers then providing excellent guest service and have lost that focus on being the premier service company in the world.

Anyways.... I got off on a tangent or two.

I just want to see them be the premier family entertainment and guest service company in the world. They used to be. They have the potential to be. And honestly? They should be.
who are you? where did you left the real photodave? :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom