A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited MAGICal Musings:

So, WDW is running massive commercials telling people they can book for this summer for 30% off. Yep, the business plan continues. Raise prices like crazy, cut quality and then discount. Hey, it works wonder for The Walmart, right?

Can I just say how great it is to have @hopemax join us. We didn't always agree when we'd discuss things on LP.com eons ago, but I always respected the viewpoint, the intelligence, the wit. Great to see ya here!

So a friend, who I trust (or they wouldn't be a friend, right?), tells me the lack of benches in the new Hub and around WDW isn't actually the fault of lawyers. Nope, it's WDI yet again out of touch with people who visit mixed with OPs not liking that people move them. Of course, having enough staff to ensure they don't get moved is too tough when you're paying most folks $9 an hour!

Anyway, seems that WDI doesn't feel that parks (think about everything you know about both theme parks and parks of any kind in the real world) should have benches unless they are built into structures. They don't like how they look (no, you can't make this c r ap up). They seem to think that people would prefer sitting or laying on the ground.

I don't know about you, but the idea of putting my clothes and my skin on surfaces that hordes have trampled along all day with filthy shoes just makes me want to get naked and roll around on the new turf like an EPCOT fanboi rubbing himself up against wall carpeting.

No, it isn't possible to be on Twitter 24/7 as @TalkingHead posted and have a real life. Sadly, you can get an MBA or a Master's and quite likely a PhD by doing so, though.

Let's talk BRAND product and degradation, shall we. It doesn't happen overnight but when it does the results are swift (PanAm, Kodak, Howard Johnson, TWA, Woolworth, Montgomery Ward, etc.) I know there are people here that absolutely can't imagine a world without WDW, but it absolutely could happen. Or, more likely, it could exist in a vastly different form. Sorry to the cultists (not the #CultofCitrus group) and the 'Disney is my religion' even if I would never say it is so.

WDW is not the product it was in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s. A whole generation believes that attractions that fall into ghetto-like states, that entertainment gets updated every 10-20 years, that character greetings are what you pay $10,000 for ... they are never getting that. No matter how much those of us who know that things used to be vastly better in many, many ways pontificate here or anywhere else on the 'net.

The Disney BRAND is ...? Who the eff knows. Is it WDW and theme parks? Is it hotels and timeshares? Is it The Incredible Hulk, Tony Stark, Bobba Fett? SportsCenter? Just what is Disney? I used to know it intimately, but it feels like an old friend who you lost touch with at 27 and rediscover at 45 and they are just not the same person at all. Not just in looks ... in appearance ... but inside where it matters. That's sorta where I am with the WDW and much of the company today.

This IS a company largely resting on its laurels and the legacy of greats that began with the Disney Brothers and continued right on into the 21st century where they were pushed out of the company.

Disney is a business, right? (I do truly believe people who have the nerve to spout that line on a discussion forum like this truly should be flogged in the middle of Liberty Square!) But as @ParentsOf4 points out with charts and graphs and intelligence, it always has been a business ... and Disney simply isn't investing anywhere near what it should in one of its fundamental business units: P&R. And when it does spend? It spends like a fanboi on eBay: ignorantly and unwisely. Two billion plus on MAGIC Bands and trip planning and data mining apps. That's what it has come to.

And despite the continuing record profits, there's a palpable feel at WDW that started after 9/11 and never really left that the place is on the verge of closing up. Like that mall near you that still has 3 out of 4 anchors and even a Radio Shack and a Red Robin, but you just get a feeling that time has passed it by when you are there.

You can tell it in the eyes and actions of many CMs. You contrast it at UNI ... where TMs show pride and excitement about what their company is doing and ... yeah, time to run for dinner .. it be a Faux Top One Percent night at the Outback Steakhouse (another chain in trouble because it got away from what it did best ...no, no one goes there for tacos!)

Later all.

Dear Leader, out.

Lee

Adventurer
Spirited MAGICal Musings:

So, WDW is running massive commercials telling people they can book for this summer for 30% off. Yep, the business plan continues. Raise prices like crazy, cut quality and then discount. Hey, it works wonder for The Walmart, right?

Can I just say how great it is to have @hopemax join us. We didn't always agree when we'd discuss things on LP.com eons ago, but I always respected the viewpoint, the intelligence, the wit. Great to see ya here!

So a friend, who I trust (or they wouldn't be a friend, right?), tells me the lack of benches in the new Hub and around WDW isn't actually the fault of lawyers. Nope, it's WDI yet again out of touch with people who visit mixed with OPs not liking that people move them. Of course, having enough staff to ensure they don't get moved is too tough when you're paying most folks $9 an hour!

Anyway, seems that WDI doesn't feel that parks (think about everything you know about both theme parks and parks of any kind in the real world) should have benches unless they are built into structures. They don't like how they look (no, you can't make this c r ap up). They seem to think that people would prefer sitting or laying on the ground.

I don't know about you, but the idea of putting my clothes and my skin on surfaces that hordes have trampled along all day with filthy shoes just makes me want to get naked and roll around on the new turf like an EPCOT fanboi rubbing himself up against wall carpeting.

No, it isn't possible to be on Twitter 24/7 as @TalkingHead posted and have a real life. Sadly, you can get an MBA or a Master's and quite likely a PhD by doing so, though.

Let's talk BRAND product and degradation, shall we. It doesn't happen overnight but when it does the results are swift (PanAm, Kodak, Howard Johnson, TWA, Woolworth, Montgomery Ward, etc.) I know there are people here that absolutely can't imagine a world without WDW, but it absolutely could happen. Or, more likely, it could exist in a vastly different form. Sorry to the cultists (not the #CultofCitrus group) and the 'Disney is my religion' even if I would never say it is so.

WDW is not the product it was in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s. A whole generation believes that attractions that fall into ghetto-like states, that entertainment gets updated every 10-20 years, that character greetings are what you pay $10,000 for ... they are never getting that. No matter how much those of us who know that things used to be vastly better in many, many ways pontificate here or anywhere else on the 'net.

The Disney BRAND is ...? Who the eff knows. Is it WDW and theme parks? Is it hotels and timeshares? Is it The Incredible Hulk, Tony Stark, Bobba Fett? SportsCenter? Just what is Disney? I used to know it intimately, but it feels like an old friend who you lost touch with at 27 and rediscover at 45 and they are just not the same person at all. Not just in looks ... in appearance ... but inside where it matters. That's sorta where I am with the WDW and much of the company today.

This IS a company largely resting on its laurels and the legacy of greats that began with the Disney Brothers and continued right on into the 21st century where they were pushed out of the company.

Disney is a business, right? (I do truly believe people who have the nerve to spout that line on a discussion forum like this truly should be flogged in the middle of Liberty Square!) But as @ParentsOf4 points out with charts and graphs and intelligence, it always has been a business ... and Disney simply isn't investing anywhere near what it should in one of its fundamental business units: P&R. And when it does spend? It spends like a fanboi on eBay: ignorantly and unwisely. Two billion plus on MAGIC Bands and trip planning and data mining apps. That's what it has come to.

And despite the continuing record profits, there's a palpable feel at WDW that started after 9/11 and never really left that the place is on the verge of closing up. Like that mall near you that still has 3 out of 4 anchors and even a Radio Shack and a Red Robin, but you just get a feeling that time has passed it by when you are there.

You can tell it in the eyes and actions of many CMs. You contrast it at UNI ... where TMs show pride and excitement about what their company is doing and ... yeah, time to run for dinner .. it be a Faux Top One Percent night at the Outback Steakhouse (another chain in trouble because it got away from what it did best ...no, no one goes there for tacos!)

Later all.

Dear Leader, out.
Mmmmmm.....Outback. ;)

Goofyernmost

Guests were not allowed to play/lounge on the real grass so I do not think it was ever an issue. I'm trying to think of anywhere else this occurs and the only other place was the NFL Experience at ESPNWWoS (now gone) and possibly the outside berm of the baseball stadium also at ESPNWWoS. Not sure where else there are grassy areas where guests people lounge for long periods of time for this same example to compare.
Well, whatever, but, considering that there are tons of fertilizer and chemicals put on real grass to keep it green and alive, it would seem a much greater health risk then the artificial stuff.

hopemax

More food for thought. If you were 10 years old in 1990, the start of the Disney Decade, you would be 35 years old. Based on the average age women start having children being 25, your first born, would be 10 years old now.

That's my guess as to what is partially driving WDWs current attendance patterns. The children of the mid 80's to the mid 90's are the ones with children the proper age to inspire a visit.

That was such an era of growth and change that it will be interesting to see how the current stuff plays with that crowd's expectations over the next few years.

Goofyernmost

True...if people were allowed to lounge around on it. I would have to agree.
So if you can't go on it because you will kill it and you can't go on it because it will kill you, then what place does it have in a theme park with thousands of people? Fake turf is always green. You can tear it, but, you can't kill it! ;)

Funmeister

So if you can't go on it because you will kill it and you can't go on it because it will kill you, then what place does it have in a theme park with thousands of people? Fake turf is always green. You can tear it, but, you can't kill it! ;)

Great observation. I agree with you. I was asking out of more curiosity than anything else. I'm not sure what you are trying to debate with me??? lol I agree that fake turf is the best alternative for what they are using it for. I just don't know what the potential long-term affect it could have on guests could be if any. That is what led to the questions and the posts. Not quite sure what else I can tell you....lol

Goofyernmost

Great observation. I agree with you. I was asking out of more curiosity than anything else. I'm not sure what you are trying to debate with me??? lol I agree that fake turf is the best alternative for what they are using it for. I just don't know what the potential long-term affect it could have on guests could be if any. That is what led to the questions and the posts. Not quite sure what else I can tell you....lol
Not debating you at all. Just continuing a thought.

the.dreamfinder

More info from the "Inside Out" press event at Pixar.
The press and a group of bloggers, note the absence of the O-Town lifestyler titans, were shown an hour of the film. Pixar tends to only show an half hour of footage at these events so it's a sign they are really high on this picture.
Here's a picture from Pixar Post of the atrium inside the rarely photographed 'Brooklyn' pre-production building.
image.jpg

image.jpg

On a related note, "Inside Out" has a good chance of being accepted to be in competition for the Palme D'Or at Cannes this May if rumors reported in Variety are to be believed. Wouldn't it be nice if Pixar won cinema's highest honor!
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/cannes-film-festival-whats-in-and-whats-out-1201460030/

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
More info from the "Inside Out" press event at Pixar.
The press and a group of bloggers, note the absence of the O-Town lifestyler titans, were shown an hour of the film. Pixar tends to only show an half hour of footage at these events so it's a sign they are really high on this picture.
Here's a picture from Pixar Post of the atrium inside the rarely photographed 'Brooklyn' pre-production building.
View attachment 88831
View attachment 88836
On a related note, "Inside Out" has a good chance of being accepted to be in competition for the Palme D'Or at Canne this May if rumors reported in Variety are to be believed. Wouldn't it be nice if Pixar won cinema's highest honor!
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/cannes-film-festival-whats-in-and-whats-out-1201460030/

The 'Brooklyn' building is absolutely a work of art in itself..., The lifestyler titans would never be allowed in there because they could not meet the dress code.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom