A Spirited Perfect Ten

peter11435

However, that can't just be a catchall to explain all manner of decision, especially when some of the decision even from a business perspective seem to not make sense (Adventureland Verandah being shutters for 4 presidents for one).
Absolutely. I agree 100%. It's not always an excuse and almost never a good one.

Cesar R M

Except when people say disney is a business they are stating a fact and not resorting to bullying, harassment, and name calling.
Ahh yea, Now you're implying the pixie dust camp is flawless and hasnt gone to that.
Have you forgot how many people have been banned (or at least ignored completely)?

Anyone remembers that guy who loved to defend WDW ad nauseam even when he HASN'T VISITED THAT PLACE EVER?

Almost feels like you're doing your best to portray yourself as the judge, and claiming that "YOUR" side cant do wrong and is flawless.

Getting old Peter, really.

Cesar R M

There's fault on both sides. If you go to a restaurant once and they serve bad food, it's not your fault. But if you go back to the restaurant again and again, expecting a different result, that's your fault.
Actually, we go again because we heard that the restaurant(or place) "got better".
Also, We might have been blasted claiming that the mistake never happened or it was only a "single time problem" by pixie dusters. (its not like it ruined THEIR vacations after all!)

sort of the famous saying: once is a happenstance(or bad luck), twice is a coincidence, three times is enemy action (in this case, awful quality, training, degrading management..etc..).

The interesting point of WDW is.. that you get BAD stuff from different areas, not always the same.
Some of us are smart and try something different to GO AROUND these failures or bad things.

Me for example, I'm not going back to Cosmic Ray's restaurant and eat their worse than Mcdonalds burgers.. EVER.

Because I agree with you.. going all the time to a place that as been proven to be terrible is just plain .

the.dreamfinder

Yes, Disney is a business, but is it a well run one? Is it a business that still holds itself to the high standards which made it a world class company? Is it a business that cares about giving their customers, despite their differing backgrounds, a high-quality experience for all? Is it a business that takes care of its employees so they can have a solid middle class lifestyle? Is it a business that is so much more than a surface level BRAND?

CDavid

Except when people say disney is a business they are stating a fact and not resorting to bullying, harassment, and name calling.

In the context in which "Disney is a business" is being used in discussion, it often does indeed constitute "bullying, harassment, and name calling". We're all very well aware its a true and accurate statement, and stating the obvious adds nothing to the discussion (and clearly that fact cannot be used to just explain away poor business decisions).

jakeman

In the context in which "Disney is a business" is being used in discussion, it often does indeed constitute "bullying, harassment, and name calling". We're all very well aware its a true and accurate statement, and stating the obvious adds nothing to the discussion (and clearly that fact cannot be used to just explain away poor business decisions).
It can't be used as a standalone fact is the bottom line (not arguing with you just elaborating).

It has to be supported as a good business decisions.

For example, I hate to do this, but if you look at the crowding around the hub, expanding that area to decrease guest complaints (or head them off) is a good business decision. The argument could be made that a larger business plan across the parks to redistribute crowds would be a better decision or that the the end result of the hub's atheistic could nullify the logistical enhancements, but the concept alone of increase foot traffic space is a good decision.

PhotoDave219

Yes, Disney is a business, but is it a well run one? Is it a business that still holds itself to the high standards which made it a world class company? Is it a business that cares about giving their customers, despite their differing backgrounds, a high-quality experience for all? Is it a business that takes care of its employees so they can have a solid middle class lifestyle? Is it a business that is so much more than a surface level BRAND?

The question isn't "whether it's a business" but how they're running that business. How they treat their guests and how they go about getting new business.

Apparently asking questions somehow means you're against whatever you're questioning.....

BernardandBianca

As to the Hotel's WDW once was a full service resort, At one time there was a program where you could pay a one time fee which was equal to one day's hotel stay and you could then take advantage of as many Sea Raycer, Horseback rides, Greens fees (carts still extra) and all that other entertainment for the length of your stay at any venue at WDW. Now all that stuff is charged by the hour.

I believe you're referring to the old Gold Key Plan. It was great, everything prepaid and available for as many times to do as you wanted. (One correction: the carts were included, as were golf shoes, clubs, and everything else for golf except balls.) There was really only two downsides to the Gold Key: since three meals a day were included, with appetizers., entree, non-alcoholic beverage and dessert, by the fourth or fifth day the kids were complaining about having to actually eat another meal. ("But I don't wanna go to the Coral Reef and eat more food.") And since tip was included and based on the price of the underlying meal, the wait staff was delighted to have you order the biggest and best food choices (which cost the most), and were always recommending those types of meals. The second downside was that the kids became accustomed to eating prime rib, and lobster, and steak, and having shrimp appetizers, and were really disappointed with meals once we returned home.

Captain Chaos

The question isn't "whether it's a business" but how they're running that business. How they treat their guests and how they go about getting new business.

Apparently asking questions somehow means you're against whatever you're questioning.....
I have used this comparison in the past, and I will use it again (as I am sure many others have done). You can be a fan of something and still question decision the leaders make. Like in sports... be a fan of the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, whoever. But that does not mean you have to have devout loyalty to that team. They make a trade or sign a free agent, you have the right to question and not like the move. You don't have to fall in line and automatically like the move or think it is the best move ever. You can still be a fan of those teams while questioning managements' moves.

The people who fall in line and think every move is the best, they are the ones with the issues. They are the drones, not free thinkers. They are easily lead and manipulated.

PhotoDave219

I have used this comparison in the past, and I will use it again (as I am sure many others have done). You can be a fan of something and still question decision the leaders make. Like in sports... be a fan of the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, whoever. But that does not mean you have to have devout loyalty to that team. They make a trade or sign a free agent, you have the right to question and not like the move. You don't have to fall in line and automatically like the move or think it is the best move ever. You can still be a fan of those teams while questioning managements' moves.

The people who fall in line and think every move is the best, they are the ones with the issues. They are the drones, not free thinkers. They are easily lead and manipulated.

Yet discourse in this world seems to be "either you're with us or you're against us".... Which is about as basic as you can get. More then that requires nuanced thought...

gmajew

It is important though to take the good with the bad. Like on my last trip my meal at Brown Derby was horrible!! Worse meal I ever had on site.

I saw the food coming out from the kitchen for everyone else and it looked amazing sauces perfect and right color etc. My tables food was dry over cooked and lackluster.

I was upset but I hate complaining in restaurants as that is what I do for a living and I know mistakes happen we ate it.

But that experience if it was my only experience for a week would tarnish my view for ever!

Did it still disappoint me heck yeah!

I also had a cast member see my youngest kid upset because his ballon got a way come up to him and then hand and hand walk him to get a new one at no cost.

We were way away from any ballon stations but this case member went out of his way to make the day of my kid.

So a bad and a good all in one trip.

jakeman

Yet discourse in this world seems to be "either you're with us or you're against us".... Which is about as basic as you can get. More then that requires nuanced thought...
That can been seen on both sides.

Questioning everything is no more nuanced than questioning nothing. Unwavering doubt in everything that Disney does requires no more thought than blind acceptance.

Painting Disney as a pure a villain isn't any more complicated than painting them as a hero.

Captain Chaos

Questioning everything is no more nuanced than questioning nothing. Unwavering doubt in everything that Disney does requires no more thought than blind acceptance.

Painting Disney as a pure a villain isn't any more complicated than painting them as a hero.
Not going to disagree with you, it is on both sides. There are a few here who are negative just to be negative. And will never post anything positive. and that gets old very fast too. Ignore, such a wonderful tool. :)

Captain Chaos

It is important though to take the good with the bad. Like on my last trip my meal at Brown Derby was horrible!! Worse meal I ever had on site.

I saw the food coming out from the kitchen for everyone else and it looked amazing sauces perfect and right color etc. My tables food was dry over cooked and lackluster.

I was upset but I hate complaining in restaurants as that is what I do for a living and I know mistakes happen we ate it.

But that experience if it was my only experience for a week would tarnish my view for ever!

Did it still disappoint me heck yeah!

I also had a cast member see my youngest kid upset because his ballon got a way come up to him and then hand and hand walk him to get a new one at no cost.

We were way away from any ballon stations but this case member went out of his way to make the day of my kid.

So a bad and a good all in one trip.
So what you are saying is if you don't like something, suck it up shut up, and never say anything about it. Ok riiiiight.....

Cesar R M

Hang on, since when "questioning everything is bad"?
saying everything is bad without questioning or reasoning is the ACTUAL BAD PART.

BrerJon

I actually wonder.. do the projections explicitly needs to be on the castle?

WOC and ROL will have projections on the water.. so does FANTASMIC.
FANTASMIC in Asia uses big balloons and giant towered water canons.

Disneyland used to run 'The Magic, Memories and You' on the front of 'It's A Small World' and while not quite as good as on the castle, it still worked fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom