A Spirited Perfect Ten

Phil12

According to Wikipedia: "Disney Channel was recently launched a channel in mainland China[when?]. However, many of its live-action and animated series are still syndicated on regional channels through ABC owned Dragon Club since 1994. It also has a new website for China: dol.cn.[63]"

dol.cn looks interesting. Anyone here know Chinese?

Word of the Week
每周一词

点击喇叭图标查看单词
Basketball
篮球

As you can see, they're already using March Madness as a cultural bridge.

Last edited:

Funmeister

I know many of you might be feeling like you've just eaten too much Chinese food of late, but what is going on over there is so much more important than a Marvel store at TSFKaDD or Disney closing half of Innoventions (no, I haven't weighed in because I have no idea what they are doing ... well, beyond saving on labor costs) or the new pool at the Poly.

With that in mind, a kind reader/lurker here sent me this: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/12/business/worldbusiness/12disney.html?_r=0

If I were Bob Iger, then I'd have Zenia on the phone with Brooks Barnes trying to scrub this story off the 'net instead of having Willow scrubbing an Op-Ed in the HuffPo. His own words, used against him. His own words, showing he capitulated. His own words, showing he took a bad deal.

Funny thing is I recall being in LA when this story came out and reading it while at the food court at the Beverly Center (no, I don't recall having Chinese ... more likely a cheesesteak!) A decade sure flies by when you get older!

"If we don't do anything, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse are going to end up there anyway, and we're not going to get anything," he said.

That could easily translate to "If we do everything, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse are going to end up there anyway, and we're going to lose everything!"

the.dreamfinder

According to Wikipedia: "Disney Channel was recently launched a channel in mainland China[when?]. However, many of its live-action and animated series are still syndicated on regional channels through ABC owned Dragon Club since 1994. It also has a new website for China: dol.cn.[63]"

dol.cn looks interesting. Anyone here know Chinese?

Word of the Week
每周一词

点击喇叭图标查看单词
Basketball
篮球

As you can see, they're already using March Madness as a cultural bridge.
Dol.cn is Disney's Chinese website, not an outpost for a Chinese Disney Channel. What that Wikipedia exerpt states, which may not be up to date, is that Disney content is shown in syndicated blocks on state television. There is a large difference between this and a proper dedicated cable channel, like the ones Viacom has for MTV and Nickelodeon.

tribbleorlfl

Screamscape is a shell (and plenty of links to OTHER sites) of what it used it be. Lance lost me years ago when he started pimping some business his wife was running on his site. Just went to the site and it looks the same. Needs a dire update.
He lost me when he went on a political rant against that Muslim CM in DL that wanted to we at her hijab a couple years ago.

the.dreamfinder

RSoxNo1

My question (and I've asked it before) is what happens when fatigue sets in? These films are cyclical and VERY pricey to create.

Are people going to want to see Thor 7: *(^&, I dropped the hammer on my foot!!! or Jar Jar Binks Goes to College on Endor or Cars 15: Lightning Goes to Hollywood and Gets Rearended or The Amazing, Awesome and Incredible Spiderman 26: We're rebooting and doing an origin story again?

I just don't see it.

And what else will Disney have? Nothing. Because Iger has made the Studio into a nothing but tentpole deal.

I have no doubt Disney will be doing great with that for the next 2-4 years ... beyond, it gets as hazy as a typical day in Shanghai.
With Marvel, the Cinematic Universe has a shelf life, but it's a few years away. Beyond that, the comic books themselves are already created story lines that Disney owns. They could continue pushing the lesser known characters, or go the Sony route and relaunch the Avengers with a new cast.

I have very little concern about Disney movies in the future, they essentially have the three studios that are as close to fail safe as it gets. Sure, eventually they will produce flops, but Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars are a ridiculous trio of movie making possibilities.

Having said that, I sold my Disney stock today.

ParentsOf4

Yes, Disney is literally spending billions ... especially on buying stock back.
Time for a graph ...

Historically, Disney rarely bought back its own stock. Like most companies, Disney actually issued stock in order to raise capital to invest and grow the business.

1984 was the first year that Disney bought back an appreciable amount of stock as it fought off a hostile takeover attempt.

Immediately after this, Michael Eisner was brought onboard to fix corporate Disney. Eisner did a phenomenal job, growing company revenue by an incredible compound annual growth rate of 15.1% during his 21 years as CEO. Eisner did this by investing in projects, not by repurchasing company stock.

When Bob Iger took over, priorities changed. During Iger's first 9 years as CEO, Disney's revenue has grown by only 4.8% annually. Under Iger, the focus has shifted from growing the company to growing stock price.

This is best illustrated by comparing Disney stock repurchases to the company's total capital expenditures across all business segments:

Disney Buybacks to Capex.jpg

Disney is not alone. In 2014, S&P 500 companies spent over $550 billion on stock buybacks.

Cash rich companies used to invest in research & development, new technologies, and capital projects, creating millions of jobs in the process. Now companies spend those hundreds of billions buying back their own stock, effectively stuffing that cash in a mattress.

You want to know why Wall Street is booming while the middle class is struggling?

Look no further than stock buybacks.

Last edited:

gmajew

Everyone keeps saying they sold their disney stock today. I bought more and have been buyîng for the past 20'years. Disney as a company is way way more then just the parks and the other divisions are riding higher then ever and that ain't slowijg down anytime soon.

Just like apple o buy stocks of companies I use and love in my life. If I like something I buy it. And with that strategy I do pretty damn well on my returns.

Phil12

But if you don't believe that Fortune 500 companies can and do gain access to computers of those they feel are threatening their interests, then ... well you are just plain naive and nothing that I or anyone else says will make a difference.
This seems to be speculation on your part. What you have described is felonious conduct. I don't think any company as you describe is foolish enough to engage in felony criminal interception of computer communications. It appears that you make these allegations to bolster your panache as a courageous vanquisher of the dark side of Disney.

On the other hand, if you indeed have evidence of unauthorized computer intrusions, I urge you to contact the FBI to report your concerns: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
$52 for a souvenir drink at Trader Sam's which supposedly serves 4 (seems unlikely with a 5 oz rum pour).

It sounds like the crowd there is going to be insufferable. I mean the concept sounds neat, but I dunno. Did I read the place has a capacity of 50 ppl? That can't be right, right?
50 indoor and 80 outside according to the main page here.

Trader Sams in Anaheim has the same indoor seating capacity. Not sure if the patio is bigger or smaller.

Edit: this place will be quite packed at least when it first opens. At least it's over 21 after 8PM. A nice plus.

TalkingHead

50 indoor and 80 outside according to the main page here.

Trader Sams in Anaheim has the same indoor seating capacity. Not sure if the patio is bigger or smaller.

Edit: this place will be quite packed at least when it first opens. At least it's over 21 after 8PM. A nice plus.

Is there a section reserved for lifestylers? They're going to need a lot of room for theme park experts pontificating on the merits of the themed design while nursing their souvenir drinks.

BrerJon

I have very little concern about Disney movies in the future, they essentially have the three studios that are as close to fail safe as it gets. Sure, eventually they will produce flops, but Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars are a ridiculous trio of movie making possibilities.

Marvel and Star Wars are pretty safe I think - decades of comics mean endless stories to mine, and Star Wars has a lot of mileage, but I don't think Pixar is that safe a bet. They've had a run of stinkers since they became the sequel factory, and although Inside Out looks good, their record in the last few years is no better than Dreamworks was in its heyday, and look where they ended up, so even the mighty can fall.

RSoxNo1

Marvel and Star Wars are pretty safe I think - decades of comics mean endless stories to mine, and Star Wars has a lot of mileage, but I don't think Pixar is that safe a bet. They've had a run of stinkers since they became the sequel factory, and although Inside Out looks good, their record in the last few years is no better than Dreamworks was in its heyday, and look where they ended up, so even the mighty can fall.
Pixar has been a sure thing at the Box Office since Toy Story. Critically they have declined and a wave of sequels may not help, but they're almost guaranteed to make $175mm+ Domestic in the worst case scenario.

Nubs70

Everyone keeps saying they sold their disney stock today. I bought more and have been buyîng for the past 20'years. Disney as a company is way way more then just the parks and the other divisions are riding higher then ever and that ain't slowijg down anytime soon.

Just like apple o buy stocks of companies I use and love in my life. If I like something I buy it. And with that strategy I do pretty damn well on my returns.
With a dividend yield of 1.06%, how are you realizing any return without selling stock?

Nubs70

Time for a graph ...

Historically, Disney rarely bought back its own stock. Like most companies, Disney actually issued stock in order to raise capital to invest and grow the business.

1984 was the first year that Disney bought back an appreciable amount of stock as it fought off a hostile takeover attempt.

Immediately after this, Michael Eisner was brought onboard to fix corporate Disney. Eisner did a phenomenal job, growing company revenue by an incredible compound annual growth rate of 15.1% during his 21 years as CEO. Eisner did this by investing in capital projects, not by repurchasing company stock.

When Bob Iger took over, priorities changed. During Iger's first 9 years as CEO, Disney's revenue has grown by only 4.8% annually. Under Iger, the focus has shifted from growing the company to growing stock price.

This is best illustrated by comparing Disney stock repurchases to the company's total capital expenditures across all business segments:

View attachment 87936

Disney is not alone. In 2014, S&P 500 companies spent over $550 billion on stock buybacks.

Cash rich companies used to invest in research & development, new technologies, and capital projects, creating millions of jobs in the process. Now companies spend those hundreds of billions buying back their own stock, effectively stuffing that cash in a mattress.

You want to know why Wall Street is booming while the middle class is struggling?

Look no further than stock buybacks.
Thus the result of stock price uber alles business philosophy. R&D and expansion are negative investing activities. Selling of non core assets is a positive investment activity. End result is many companies that rely on a single (or very few) products or service. Reliance on single income streams make for fragile companies.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom