A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Looks like somebody hit a little too close to home.
The question is, will they really clean all the mess and punish those involved?
or will they shove it under the rug Christian church style? (by moving those involved to a job somewhere else overseas)

This thread is so weird right now.
it happens when everyone gets their panties up due of personal vendettas or targeting each other's opinions.
so.. shrug and walk!

BrianLo

I'm always fascinated by the sheer number of folks who obviously frequent this thread, even those who clearly despise "Dear Leader" and the rest of us "drooling sycophants." :D

I agree.

As an occasional drooling sycophant - as long as the conversation remains moderately civil, disagreement makes for a less biased presentation of interesting topics. Otherwise this place just turns into an echo chamber, which it has definitely been at points.

However, as a non-drooling sycophant, I'm not personally a fan of the nick names, shout-outs and occasional bullying. Whether it is against the Disney parks bloggers, people on twitter, some of the Micechat columnists, the Orlando sentinel, accusations against WDI or passioned hatred for Willow/Bob, it degrades the whole discussion and loses me personally.

While I think some of the actual core topics we've discussed the last few months are fascinating - if things resort to name calling and character trashing (from anyone here or elsewhere), I check out.

PhotoDave219

However, as a non-drooling sycophant, I'm not personally a fan of the nick names, shout-outs and occasional bullying. Whether it is against the Disney parks bloggers, people on twitter, some of the Micechat columnists, the Orlando sentinel, accusations against WDI or passioned hatred for Willow/Bob, it degrades the whole discussion and loses me personally.

I've heard that same observation from friends who work for the company.

doctornick

You can tag me. It's pretty easy.

Who's making a federal case? It's a pretty easy question. There are only a few answers: Yes it's been reported. No, I made it up to make a point. No it hasn't been reported.

I've got to say that when the whole "molestation from people at WDI" topic game up -- and got repeated a number of times -- it made me very uncomfortable. If someone has some knowledge of such actions, then the appropriate thing is to go to authorities and report it. Posting about it on a anonymous message board is terrible in that: (1) you are basically making horrible accusations without allowing the accused be able to defend themselves (granted the accused was not a specific individual, but instead it puts the entire organization in a negative light and there are surely fine upstanding people there who do not deserve it) and (2) it does nothing to help the victims or bring the specific perpetrator(s) to justice.

So, please, if anyone here knows about molestation going own, get the authorities involved. Don't just talk about it on a message board like its some joke.

NearTheEars

I've got to say that when the whole "molestation from people at WDI" topic game up -- and got repeated a number of times -- it made me very uncomfortable. If someone has some knowledge of such actions, then the appropriate thing is to go to authorities and report it. Posting about it on a anonymous message board is terrible in that: (1) you are basically making horrible accusations without allowing the accused be able to defend themselves (granted the accused was not a specific individual, but instead it puts the entire organization in a negative light and there are surely fine upstanding people there who do not deserve it) and (2) it does nothing to help the victims or bring the specific perpetrator(s) to justice.

So, please, if anyone here knows about molestation going own, get the authorities involved. Don't just talk about it on a message board like its some joke.

Agreed on that observation and several of my own of posts here throwing around accusations of very illegal actions by TWDC as facts, yet no one outside this forum can confirm/seems to know about it.

If even some of this stuff is true it needs immediate attention.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That is an interesting case. If I'm understanding the chain of events, as a blogger he initiated and encouraged online harassment of this woman who at the time was a writer for Marvel.

Well...5-7 years ago, there wasn't much in the way of online stalking / harassment law so Marvel would have been limited in their response, but should have at least publically supported the writer . Being aware of it then and hiring him now...that is bad form and given the public nature of online bullying/harassment (I hate when folks refer to harassment as bullying, it degrades the harassment) she shouldn't have needed to come forward to initiate a response. Given that he is moving to an X-book which is all about tolerance and acceptance...I think they hired the wrong guy and he loses his big break. Actions have consequences.

The comics industry has successfully reached out to women and girls over the last few years and moves like this and the DC Joker cover show that there is a still a long way to go to prevent institutionalized sexism.
I agree with this. I always thought bullying was reserved for kids. Can you bully an adult? Maybe that's a discussion that should be tabled anyway.

The issue as I see it comes down to the details of what this person actually did. IMHO just being a jerk in a blog is not harassment. Here's a definition I pulled off of a website on cyber harassment:

There is no universal legal definition of cyber harassment, but it typically is defined as repeated, unsolicited, threatening behavior by a person or group using mobile or Internet technology with the intent to bother, terrify, intimidate, humiliate, threaten, harass or stalk someone else. The harassment can take place in any electronic environment where communication with others is possible, such as on social networking sites, on message boards, in chat rooms or through email. Just posting a general opinion on a discussion board or in a forum is not considered harassment.

Where I think Sims probably crossed the line is when he began engaging her and posting things to her online sights or encouraging others to reach out to her via social media. His initial opinions posted on his blog were likely inappropriate, but not harassment. Whenever you are a public figure you open yourself to some level of criticism, but there is no excuse for harassing someone and keeping it up for 3 years. IMHO there is no place for personal attacks either. If he blogs about comic books and wants to express his opinion that she's a poor writer or the wrong choice for the job, that's fair game. Attacking her personally is not acceptable even if it doesn't meet the definition of harassment and isn't a crime. Again, to be fair, I don't know the details of what he actually did or posted.[/quote][/quote]

Phil12

And while @Nemo14 had one component quite right: namely I didn't want posts wasting space here about something that had been asked and (finally) answered. I'm sure MAGICal Steve would have mentioned it sooner, but he can't be everywhere, all the time.

But the greater point I was showcasing is that no one likes content disappearing here on a simple fan forum where the author himself opted to remove posts that really were no longer necessary or important to the dialogue.

It seems like many readers, like the ones tagged above, felt a sense of ownership of my words, my thoughts, my views. Or maybe it was a sense of entitlement. That they should have access to them.

You conveniently left out the accusation of a large media company putting spyware on your computers. Therefore when you delete such posts it appears you are attempting to exculpate yourself or at least it gives that appearance. I seem to remember a discussion in this very thread about how the appearance of impropriety is to be avoided.

Nubs70

You conveniently left out the accusation of a large media company putting spyware on your computers. Therefore when you delete such posts it appears you are attempting to exculpate yourself or at least it gives that appearance. I seem to remember a discussion in this very thread about how the appearance of impropriety is to be avoided.
For craps sake, he posited a theory which was ultimately proven negative. No need to be all Massengill about it.

Lee

Adventurer
As much as I hate to get involved in such matters...
Oh is that how you are framing it? As you intentionally deleted your post to teach us all a lesson about censorship? Because it came across as you went off the rails then got a little bit embarrassed when your paranoid ranting turned out to be user ignorance and tried to cover it up.

The optics of the situation that you preached so much about with regards to the Iger issue: they don't look good when you accuse Disney of hacking your computer and it turns out to be a notification that's been present for over a month and you are just noticing.

Are they on the same level as a article being deleted? Absolutely not, but it says that there is a similar character between you and Iger. That things that are embarrassing you don't like to have out there for consumption and you'll take steps to remove them if you find them damaging to your BRAND.

Or you could just be teaching us all a lesson. I guess people can take a look at the sequence of events and judge for themselves.
Something else to factor in when judging for ourselves...I knew about what he was doing by deleting those posts. Before you came in and brought it up.
I figured someone would, didn't reckon it would be you.

But since I got your attention, care to comment on the multiple pedophilia accusations you've made towards WDI? I would very much like confirmation that those concerns have been escalated to the appropriate authorities and actions have been taken.
Like a dog with a bone with that aren't you. Still.

spacemt354

Chili's

Completely agree with every word.

That kind of information should have already been reported to authorities, not simply hinted at on an anonymous forum to drum up conspiracy.

Lee

Adventurer

With all due respect, it needs attention. This isn't something you can just slip under the rug and forget about. It's a serious accusation and if true, should be reported to authorities.

It's not about ruining a reputation on a website, it's about making sure this potential issue is accounted for.
I've had that conversation on another forum before. Too many times.
Don't read too much into comments tossed about on a message board.

SirLink

With all due respect, it needs attention. This isn't something you can just slip under the rug and forget about. It's a serious accusation and if true, should be reported to authorities.

It's not about ruining a reputation on a website, it's about making sure this potential issue is accounted for.

Actually its up to Spirit to insist the person who gave him that info probably someone inside TWDC to go to the police, not himself. Secondly if Spirit has/hasn't reported that info, he doesn't have to tell us believe it or not!

spacemt354

Chili's
I've had that conversation on another forum before. Too many times.
Don't read too much into comments tossed about on a message board.
The point is that this isn't just some rumor about a ride being built or not. This is much more serious.

Since information posted by certain member(s) on this forum is usually accurate, it's unreasonable to suggest that in certain circumstances should we not believe information from the exact same member(s).

spacemt354

Chili's
Actually its up to Spirit to insist the person who gave him that info probably someone inside TWDC to go to the police, not himself. Secondly if Spirit has/hasn't reported that info, he doesn't have to tell us believe it or not!

He has built a very good reputation for having accurate information. Now all of a sudden information that's posted is not supposed to be believed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom