A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Lets not forget how Star War is a money printing machine for almost every front (TV series, Movies, Dance party, Events, Convention shows and of course... merchandise! )

Not to mention the recent report on how the chinese already hacked successfully almost every top American corp.

Yep and why the majority of CN's IP blocks belong on your bogon filters adding RU's also not a bad idea. With the exception of your Chinese partners and customers.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm on board with that scenario.

Oh, yes...that was a fun week, wasn't it? From short sleeves to slipping on ice and snow in under 36hrs.
And Spirit makes fun of our weather adventurers...:rolleyes:

2 days of freezing rain, I've got live power cables lying on the ground here.

alphac2005

It was supposed to be the same 57/43 split. But very little with that project is what it seems.

Next story business media who 'cover' Disney will ignore: Imagineers demanding to be sent home due to respiratory ailments from working in such smoggy and polluted conditions.

Again, if you think there is a free press today in the USA that doesn't answer to our government and Big Business, you are as naive as a fanboi who gets told he has talent by an Imagineer.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

People scoff at networks like RT as pure Russian propaganda (not disputing the notion), but they fail to understand that the vast majority of press in this country is bought and paid for by the corporations of this country. I read an interesting piece about the NBC News debacle and among the buried nuggets was that Brian Williams as managing editor of the newscast was regularly snowballing stories that he deemed to be too controversial or provocative. Several of the true serious journalists that were working at NBC have left due to the killing of stories.

You have no major sources of discernible free press on television when each and every network is owned by a corporation with many conflicting interests. I'd suggest following McClatchy as they continue to produce some of the investigative journalism in the country and have papers with circulation of a few million per day. Unfortunately, they're an anomaly today.

Last edited:

tribbleorlfl

Finally someone else who admits they find Olaf annoying and unnecessary - glad I'm not the ONLY one!
When I first saw the trailers, I thought "Gee, yet another talking, comedic, anthropomorphic sidekick." However, once I saw it, I actually was surprised he wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought he would be. Since he's newly created, he's got a child-like air to him (kind, naive and curious) and that's where the comedic element comes from.

To me, since he reminds me so much of my own son, he's only annoying in the quality that kids sometimes can be: asking too many questions or having excessive youthful energy.

bhg469

I don't disagree that Star Wars has the potential to be the biggest IP. At this moment however, Frozen is the most successful. That may change December 2015. I can't wait to see.....
Comparing them based on frozen recent and quick success is a very myopic, and disney-like view on things. Star wars is a long proven successful IP.

The frozen sequel numbers will not touch their first movie. It's an extremely bright flash in the pan.

Star wars box office numbers may not touch frozen but that doesn't make it less successful. Big picture man, it's not rocket surgery.

WildcatDen

Biggest success maybe, but star wars is by far their most valuable IP, between the two at least, by a long shot. Frozen will sell some dresses and stiffed animals but star wars is going to bring many people into the parks who would otherwise not come.
What section of the park do they sell the stiffed animals or is that another closed Pleasure Island location?

Nubs70

People scoff at networks like RT as pure Russian propaganda (not disputing the notion), but they fail to understand that the vast majority of press in this country is bought and paid for by the corporations of this country. I read an interesting piece about the NBC News debacle and among the buried nuggets was that Brian Williams as managing editor of the newscast was regularly snowballing stories that he deemed to be too controversial or provocative. Several of the true serious journalists that were working at NBC have left due to the killing of stories. You have no major sources of discernible free press on television when each and every network is owned by a corporation with many conflicting interests. I'd suggest following McClatchy as they continue to produce some of the investigative journalism in the country and have papers with circulation of a few million per day. Unfortunately, they're an anomaly today.
This is why I read news sites from non US origin such as Der Spiegel and Deutsche Welle. Often they will have news stories 3-4 days before some anchor in the US breathlessly "breaks" the news. But be warned, these German outlets write on a comprehension level far greater than the grade 8 level in the US.

spacemt354

Chili's
Biggest success maybe, but star wars is by far their most valuable IP, between the two at least, by a long shot. Frozen will sell some dresses and stiffed animals but star wars is going to bring many people into the parks who would otherwise not come.
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but sometimes being a fan can turn someone blind to a potential reality.

It's not a guarantee that Star Wars will be any more successful than other IPs in DHS. It depends on if they do it right.

There is already a Star Wars presence in DHS, yet we are all calling for billion dollar expansions. If Star Wars brings people to the park, why isn't it doing so now?

While I think it's crazy to say Frozen has a bigger following than an almost 40 year old property that spans generations, it's the quality of the land that will bring people in, not the Star Wars IP itself

bhg469

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but sometimes being a fan can turn someone blind to a potential reality.

It's not a guarantee that Star Wars will be any more successful than other IPs in DHS. It depends on if they do it right.

There is already a Star Wars presence in DHS, yet we are all calling for billion dollar expansions. If Star Wars brings people to the park, why isn't it doing so now?

While I think it's crazy to say Frozen has a bigger following than an almost 40 year old property that spans generations, it's the quality of the land that will bring people in, not the Star Wars IP itself
If Disney pulls a potter and does it correctly you will see defcon 1 level crowds. If Disney pulls a new fantasy land and smashes all they can in one small area then it will just be a draw for a year and be done.

Given their track record, I'm expecting the latter but hoping for the potter treatment. Unfortunately the watchful eye of JK Rowling isn't a constant reminder for disney so who knows how it will go.

Mike S

I don't believe it was supposed to be down today though. I doubt it will be getting much long-term help until it goes down in May.
If it's going to be down this often in the next two months, they should just cut their losses and give it the six months it needs.
That's not what I meant. What I meant was with all these closures it needs all the help it can get. The refurb can't come soon enough.

CDavid

Not really - make the knowledge available (which he has) and let people consume it. There is a huge difference between surfacing something... and evangelizing the message.

Let people know the info is out there and there is a different perspective - Check.
Chasing everyone and trying to force them to digest the info and change their mind - No. We need to stop trying to save everyone from themselves.

While I don't disagree with your larger point, some messages do need to be evangelized. Indeed, that's the very reason why we have evangelists, where the message is too important to leave to chance. However, there is a distinction between appropriate (and respectful) encouragement of a particular viewpoint and forcing someone to accept a particular stance ("strong arm" tactics, or even at gunpoint).

You can't really "force" someone to do anything or change their mind anyway, but arguably some people do need to be saved from themselves - the drunk or a suicidal person merely being an obvious example. Again, admittedly, that's following your point to an (perhaps unfair) extreme.

spacemt354

Chili's
Comparing them based on frozen recent and quick success is a very myopic, and disney-like view on things. Star wars is a long proven successful IP.

The frozen sequel numbers will not touch their first movie. It's an extremely bright flash in the pan.

Star wars box office numbers may not touch frozen but that doesn't make it less successful. Big picture man, it's not rocket surgery.
Rocket surgery? o_O;)

I think the member was comparing the two properties in their current states.

Frozen is more popular ... Right now. However, as he said, that could all change in December. The 50+ million views on a 90 sec trailer that barely showed anything shows how much of a following Star Wars has.

And it's too early to tell how a sequel for frozen will do. If it's lion king 2 quality ...absolutely not close to the original box office. If it's toy story 2 quality...it has a better shot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom