A Spirited Perfect Ten

MerlinTheGoat

Again, even good film makers can and often eventually do put out a stinker. And it should also be noted that despite his stream of quality, Brad Bird hasn't actually made a large quantity of movies in the first place. We'll see and maybe it will pleasantly surprise me but so far Tomorrowland looks uninteresting to me. At the very least it doesn't look like anything groundbreaking or super creative even if it ends up good.

I was always interested in Ratatouille even early on. I was more surprised it turned out so well given the Disney and Pixar split and remerge occurring at the time of production...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Am I the only one who wishes WDW1974 would just quickly spill the beans and tell us ALL of the good stuff we know he knows, Uni, Kidzone, disney EVERYTHING before he is quietly removed from the grid.. o_O
That won't be happening. We are talking about The Walt Disney Company, not HYDRA.

hail hydra!

NearTheEars

Didn't say it looked bad, just not super creative. Thou despite liking Brad Bird, even great movie makers can produce stinkers and there's no reason to jump to conclusions about the movie being good. So far from the clips I've seen of it, it hasn't really clicked for me yet. Looks a bit bland...

I don't think Frozen is heavily related to its source material, but I don't find it particularly creative either. Frozen imo goes to show what happens when Disney tries to do something original in this era. Not a bad movie but not great either, mixed quality. I feel there actually is reason Disney has been going crazy with rehashing old ideas or buying out other unrelated ip's. Apart from being lazy and greedy that is. The movie teams internally seem to lack the level of talent and creativity that existed during the Walt era and first half of Eisner years. And I have to wonder if the executives realize this, given both their acquisitions as well as their shock when Frozen ended up doing so well (they had no faith in the project and were caught off guard by its success).

The original ideas added to Frozen that were not present in the original Snow Queen were very hit or miss for me. The misses ranging from bland to outright bad. I actually wrote off my suspicions of a character being the villain early on in the film because I didn't want to think they were going for something so bland and uninspired, but it turned out they did and I was not at all impressed with the reveal.

I enjoy Frozen to an extent despite it being massively overrated. But it doesn't touch the almost universally brilliant 90s animated movies (excepting Pocahontas, though even that one still has some awesome animation and music) or most of what Pixar has made.

I believe they were just trying to go with the formula from most of the Walt and Eisner era animation: Take a classic story, change it as they see fit, and animate. Except with Frozen, they were mostly just inspired by the Snow Queen and came up with their own story.

Becauaw of TWDC's history of adapting old stories, I don't think Frozen falls in line with the overall trend of franchises, remakes and laziness that is rampant in the industry right now.

Just like the Co-op merch and throwback EPCOT Center shirts, nostalgia sells. And movie studios see green.

When Frozen 2 comes out, then they're headed in that direction.

Lee

Adventurer
Poor show, Spirit. Don't be a rabble rouser in an Afghan village imploring the villagers to stone the girl even if they all would know she is innocent. If you want to burn some woman as a witch, then come up with proof rather than demagoguery about how innocents must burn regardless.

Innocence is always pertinent. It does matter whether a man is guilty or not. God have mercy on your soul if you really are the kind of man who would knowingly burn a man at the stake whom you know to be innocent of such heinous crimes as you bring forth here.
Wow...missed the point entirely. Forget "guilt" or "innocence."
In business (and politics, and law, and yes...even academia) it's called "the appearance of impropriety."

As Wikipedia explains:
"The appearance of impropriety is a phrase referring to a situation which to a layperson without knowledge of the specific circumstances might seem to raise ethics questions. For instance, although a person might regularly and reliably collect money for her employer in her personal wallet and later give it to her employer, her putting it in her personal wallet may appear improper and give rise to suspicion, etc. It is common business practice to avoid even the appearance of impropriety."

That is what we are seeing in the Willow Bay situation.

Speaking of, yes, I do happen to know of an example of a 33 year old single male who hung out with much younger males until an angry mob screamed for his death....
:facepalm:
Yeah...he went there...

Lee

Adventurer
Anyone see Iger on Mad Money just now? Caught the last bit. A couple "major announcements" coming at the meeting tomorrow...
"Major announcements" that will likely surprise no one around here.

Avatar is coming (one of these days)!
Star Wars is coming (one of these days)!
MM+ will stop costing us money (one of these days)!

Yeah...I don't imagine I'll be surprised tomorrow.

Unless he trots out a big photo of himself in a hard hat observing work on Shanghai Disneyland, taken before the last few weeks. That would surprise me.

bhg469

Didn't say it looked bad, just not super creative. Thou despite liking Brad Bird, even great movie makers can produce stinkers and there's no reason to jump to conclusions about the movie being good. So far from the clips I've seen of it, it hasn't really clicked for me yet. Looks a bit bland...

I don't think Frozen is heavily related to its source material, but I don't find it particularly creative either. Frozen imo goes to show what happens when Disney tries to do something original in this era. Not a bad movie but not great either, mixed quality. I feel there actually is reason Disney has been going crazy with rehashing old ideas or buying out other unrelated ip's. Apart from being lazy and greedy that is. The movie teams internally seem to lack the level of talent and creativity that existed during the Walt era and first half of Eisner years. And I have to wonder if the executives realize this, given both their acquisitions as well as their shock when Frozen ended up doing so well (they had no faith in the project and were caught off guard by its success).

The original ideas added to Frozen that were not present in the original Snow Queen were very hit or miss for me. The misses ranging from bland to outright bad. I actually wrote off my suspicions of a character being the villain early on in the film because I didn't want to think they were going for something so bland and uninspired, but it turned out they did and I was not at all impressed with the reveal.

I enjoy Frozen to an extent despite it being massively overrated. But it doesn't touch the almost universally brilliant 90s animated movies (excepting Pocahontas, though even that one still has some awesome animation and music) or most of what Pixar has made.
You need to see the lego movie then. It's story is really pretty original and is worth a rental. There is not much bland about it and there are so many Suttle things In it that just made me love it. The smallest thing that got me was the lego astronaut had a crack in his helmet un the same place mine did when I was a kid. I'd imagine that was a well known defect that they put in the movie. Pretty ingenious stuff.

the.dreamfinder

So Deadline is doing a series of articles this week, somehow related to March Madness, about the profitability of the films of 2014. Keep in mind these numbers are supposedly really good estimates and not official numbers.
Some of the films that might interest this crowd. There will be more over the coming days and hopefully we will get a good look at Disney's tent pole slate from last year (Guardians, Maleficent, Cap 2, and Big Hero 6)
Interstellar
Total Profit:$47.11 Million
Expense to Profit Ratio: $1.09
http://deadline.com/2015/03/interstellar-profit-box-office-2014-1201389442/

Amazing Spider-Man 2
Total Profit: $70.38 Million
Expense to Profit Ratio: $1.12
http://deadline.com/2015/03/amazing-spider-man-2-profit-box-office-2014-1201389608/

How to Train Your Dragon 2
Profit Before Distributor's Fee: $147.19 Million
Total Profit: $107.34 Million
Expense to Profit Ratio: $1.93
http://deadline.com/2015/03/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-profit-box-office-2014-1201390472/

Last edited:

sporadic

"Major announcements" that will likely surprise no one around here.

Avatar is coming (one of these days)!
Star Wars is coming (one of these days)!
MM+ will stop costing us money (one of these days)!

Yeah...I don't imagine I'll be surprised tomorrow.

Unless he trots out a big photo of himself in a hard hat observing work on Shanghai Disneyland, taken before the last few weeks. That would surprise me.
Bob-the-Builder.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Very strange things are happening now when I post here here. I am getting compueNo one is.n this case appearing on the left side of the screen. I can't help but think Zenia Mucha and company are playing games, unless @wdwmagic has an explanation. It is only happening on this site and I am now using a computer that I have NEVER posted from in my life. No one is silencing me, sorry.

EDIT: That is what I could post before leaving for another computer. But there is now a small number (338) in the left corner. Maybe it is keeping track of how often I have either posted on this thread or logged in. It is very strange and, no, wasn't happening until the last week.

By the way, do we have a photo of Bob Iger, Tom Staggs, Jay Rasulo or new P&R head Lex Luthor out at the SDL site yet? No? How shocking. Maybe we'll get a few released tomorrow in San Francisco.
We don't do anything on our side that would cause that, and I can't see anyone on the outside going to the lengths to target your machine to do anything of the sort.

And we do not allow any third party access to any of our systems.

tribbleorlfl

So, someone can't conclude a film is going to be good based on the trailers and promotional clips, but you can conclude it's going to be dull and uninteresting from those same clips. Tell me, what year did you win the Gold in Mental Gymnastics?

I'm not going to debate you on the quality of Frozen, though I obviously found it to be a better film than you did.

I do take exception to your contention it was overrated, however. Despite being the #3 grossing film in 2013, its reviews were average to above average; its Rotten Tomatoes score is 89%, and the user score is 86% (these results are pretty middle-of-the-pack). As such, I would say that most people have a realistic view of the artistic and technical merits of Frozen. Hardly overrated.

I suspect there were more intangible qualities that helped it become the phenomenon that it did: strong female protagonists, identification with Elsa's sense of alienation, family bonds and unconditional love, sacrifice. Regardless, whatever caused Frozen to resonate with so many people is not invalidated simply because you don't understand (or disagree with) its popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom