A Spirited Perfect Ten

The Empress Lilly

OK I misread that Staggs said those words, fair enough, but that's clearly WDW policy whether Staggs used those words or not.

This is a company that never builds a thing without it replacing something else, or closing something. A company that reduces operating hours and seasons as much as it possible can. The Disney difference is to provide the minimum possible experience for the maximum amount of dollars, that's hard to deny.

I'm not saying this is always wrong, however - You only have to watch any episode of Kitchen Nightmares to see how misguided it is when restaurant owners complain about streamlining menus because it will put what few visitors they do have off coming back - you don't need those old guests, as the new menu will more than make up for them, is what owners are told, rightly so.

And WDW is the same - those that want new attractions, or expansions, or five star service... we don't need you anymore, there are thousands of Brazilians, Brandies and Frozenistas who can't get enough of the Magic Bands, so you Walties can moan all you like and go up I-4 for your kicks, Disney doesn't care in the slightest, as you're easily replaceable. Some of us may not like it, but that's the truth. Disney is a business, and numbers rule the day.

My main concern with this, however, is that Disney has underestimated how much that could effect income in the future.

Many guests *like* new attractions or expansions, even if does add more choice and lead to the McDonalds analogy of somebody looking at a park map and not being able to decide what to do - but they're relying too much on everyone being a first time guest with 'must-dos', and in the long-term - while the strategy may be boosting numbers today - there will come a time when the parks feel stale, when the economy changes so there's not quite as many new visitors, and when the rival offerings get to the point where a new guest sees little difference. When that day comes, the Disney minimalism approach could come crashing down on them like a falling house of cards.
I do actually pretty much agree with nearly all of that. :)

Goofyernmost

I was referring more to this part of your post. "Quality will out" worked all those years ago, and it could work today. Personally I couldn't care less about the Disney Stores. Absolutely nothing of interest, even in the parks in most cases. On my trip to Disneyland I was disappointed they didn't sell any ride specific shirts for Indiana Jones, just the same stuff I could get at DHS. Ended up buying a blue "Disneyland" shirt instead. Luckily Disney sold a 20th anniversary IJA shirt online recently so I snatched that up.
OK, but, I still wasn't talking about quality nor are you... your talking about selection. That could improve, but, those are still impulse purchases that are usually made in the parks. When I was at WDW a few weeks ago, the selection was much better at Target then onsite. On top of that when you talk about quality, it has been my experience that stuff purchased at Target for half or less price, lasts longer then the $30.00 T's sold on site. That is the area that they need to work on. Selection and Quality. Where the emphasis is placed currently as far as which age bracket to target, is, in my opinion, what is necessary.

arko

Le Cellier is an average dining option on property featuring some of the most bloated prices you can find anywhere, and its packed open to close 365 days of the year. Never underestimate the person on vacation at WDW.

I predict all new restaurants will be huge successes from the get go.

Le Cellier used to be much better but thanks the Disney Dining plan it and many other sit down restaurants had to reduce quality to meet the DDP price point.

CDavid

Could we just be wrong and our definition of spontaneous, is completely different?

I'm not sure how even deluded Disney executives think that spontaneous means an overly-complex process of planning things out months in advance. I suspect they need a better dictionary.

Staggs didn't say that, the author did but more or less he believes it and it is sorta correct. Most people like things simplified with less decisions to be made. Consider bringing a child to the Ice Cream truck, they see all those different things they can get and can't decide. If you limit it to only the top row, they can decide quickly

I would hope that most adults would have more developed cognitive skills and superior decision-making ability than a young child at an ice cream truck.

The world looks very different when one does not automatically assume Disney is ran by sinister incompetents. Well it actually is, but they have a logic to their behaviour.

The very fact you admit the company is run by "sinister incompetents" is bad enough! Worse still is their logic is obviously going to be flawed (we've long argued here that Disney management honestly doesn't appear to understand the very theme-park business, or its customers, they are tasked with operating, and there is much truth in that statement).

McDonald's reached the same conclusion as Staggs. Their menu has grown needlessly complex, and too unwieldy for guests and ops alike. You can give customers too many options. McDonald's America currently streamlines its menu, while simultaneously implementing a customizable create-your-taste platform.

Besides the fact, already pointed out, that you are making an apples to bananas comparison of the one-time selection of a sandwich at a fast-food place to the variety of multiple experiences enjoyed at a theme-park, is McDonald's streamlining a complex menu because people can't make decisions or because such a wide variety of menu items is too complicated and time consuming (and probably costly) to prepare? The complexity creates long lines and slow service from slow downs in preparation, more so than ordering.

What worked 30, 40, 50 or 60 years ago will not necessarily work now no matter how much we wish it would.

People today are not fundamentally different than they were 30 or 50 years ago. Styles, tastes, and media formats have all naturally changed but the more basic elements of quality, value, and superior service along with the timeless desire for enjoyable or fulfilling experiences has not and never will.

In the case of McDonald's, their similar solutions to unwieldy and cumbersome customer choice was picked for a reason. I stood at a US McDonald's some time ago, and did not even manage to order a burger. After half an hour of both they and I questioning each other what on earth we wanted I ended up just throwing five dollar on the counter and begging the employees in sign language to bring me something to eat for that amount.

With complete respect, the use of sign language is going to complicate the ordering process no matter how wide a variety of choices are offered (they are supposed to have a picture menu to offer...). You can't really say that accurately reflects the experience of the average customer, however.

If we cannot accept the fact that Disney Stores are and should be primarily for kids, then we might as well hang our brains out to dry cause we are not using them anyway.

Why? The parks are not aimed primarily at kids (well, they're not supposed to be anyway...) , so why then should the Disney stores have such a narrow focus? Plenty of adults around these parts who are consumers and fans of Disney; If the motivation is profit (obvious), why exclude so much of your market base?

It never fails to amaze me that people still can't understand why Disney took out things that didn't sell in the parks and replaced them with things that did. It was because all of those that are complaining the most didn't put their money where their mouth is an buy the stuff that Disney was selling. Now it's gone, boo hoo, they have ruined my childhood memories.

Was much of the custom merchandise removed from park shops because it didn't sell, or because someone sitting in a cubicle thought Disney could get higher margins from selling 1,000 of the same thing instead of 50 of twenty different designs. There is a reason we accuse Walt Disney World of pinching pennies while dollars fly over their heads.

Mike S

OK, but, I still wasn't talking about quality nor are you... your talking about selection. That could improve, but, those are still impulse purchases that are usually made in the parks. When I was at WDW a few weeks ago, the selection was much better at Target then onsite. On top of that when you talk about quality, it has been my experience that stuff purchased at Target for half or less price, lasts longer then the $30.00 T's sold on site. That is the area that they need to work on. Selection and Quality. Where the emphasis is placed currently as far as which age bracket to target, is, in my opinion, what is necessary.
My reference to "quality will out" was about how Disney generally used to do things, not just focused on merchandise. All you have to do is notice the multiple problems with maintenence at the parks to see how Disney has moved away from this golden philosophy.

twebber55

Very strange things are happening now when I post here here. I am getting compueNo one is.n this case appearing on the left side of the screen. I can't help but think Zenia Mucha and company are playing games, unless @wdwmagic has an explanation. It is only happening on this site and I am now using a computer that I have NEVER posted from in my life. No one is silencing me, sorry.
This is an outrage

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is an outrage

Nah. I am sure it's simply tinfoil hat stuff. No billion dollar international media conglomerate could possibly ever track someone and get inside their systems.

Let's talk about the annual 24-hour day (nightmare for anyone not a Lifestyler?) that I told you was now an annual event a year ago or so. Or maybe that Disney's answer to having NO NEW PRODUCT in its Florida flagship resort this summer at all is to simply hope no one is tired of Frozen yet. ...Well, you can talk about those things, but I am in to harder news content.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

WDW1974

Original Poster
Compare that to this.

"Give the public everything you can give them, keep the place as clean as you can keep it, and keep it friendly" - Walt Disney

I think it's time for a new signature.

Walt Disney wouldn't be hired to work retail on MSUSA or bus tables in the CBR food court today.

He is less relevant than a one-hit wonder group from 1990.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I smell Lawyers... of course Snyder may be keeping the powder dry for a yet to come blitzkrieg

Could be. But he appears to be an intelligent fella. People like that are usually savy enough to know that you don't allow yourself to be pulled into court battles when the field is tilted toward the corp (even if you are from a wealthy and powerful family).

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
This could be a ten car pile-up.

I was never really that much of a Tim Burton fan but it does seem like his career is somewhat on the skids these days. To me he's a quirky, original director who's just been chewed up and spat out by the Hollywood system; Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, all standard big-budget studio dross that have diluted the reputation he built directing films like Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood.

A live-action Dumbo is just scraping the very bottom of the barrel, both for Disney and Tim Burton.

Disney doesn't create anymore. It buys the IP of others (who can). And relies on the knowledge of past characters.
I just want to know if Burton and Disney are using the elephants that Ringling Bros is retiring? :D

Nemo14

Could be. But he appears to be an intelligent fella. People like that are usually savy enough to know that you don't allow yourself to be pulled into court battles when the field is tilted toward the corp (even if you are from a wealthy and powerful family).

Yep. Someone is tracking posts here as that number is now 343. Any explanation how that could be @wdwmagic?

Could that be the number of your posts in this thread?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Okay, perhaps Ms. Bay, specifically, is a bad example. Besides some show regarding the NBA, I don't think I recall ever seeing anything she's done, so I can't speak to her work.

All I'm suggesting is that I don't like comparing resumés and saying someone doesn't "belong" in academia as a result of being less accomplished on paper. I think the world of higher education needs a real shake-up from the status quo and needs to bring in more outsiders. Not necessarily like Willow Bay, but with a CV with a bit more (for lack of a better term) variety.

This is totally tangential to the dialogue about the whole China article.

And on that point, we are in total agreement.

Schools should look for folks who have real world experience and haven't simply lived on a campus and in a library. But you need to have standards when doing that. Pretty (that is what Bob thinks anyway) talking heads don't belong running a top-notch journalism school.

Now, if USC had a 30-year veteran of the the Washington Post, San Francisco Chronicle or Newsweek, I'd be comfortable with that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom