A Spirited Perfect Ten

ParentsOf4

I feel sorry for that CEO that will have to fix all the Iger's "fast cash-grab" movements and the entire DVC castle of cards, when it falls down.
I feel sorry for all the "Guests" having a great time on vacation who fall prey to Disney's DVC sales pitch.

Disney (literally) is banking on consumer naivety and the reputation of a man who has been dead for 50 years. :greedy:

Travel Junkie

Anyone who thinks that WDW isn't always looking to go cheap should compare the recent Frozen offerings with those in Anaheim. Of course, then you could compare Anaheim's to Tokyo's to see how things should really be done.

The quality levels between the Frozen events are night and day. So many people were defending DHS’s event. I’m sorry but it was embarrassing and didn't belong in a theme park charging a premium price.

WDW:

Frozen-Summer-Fun---Live-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_21439.jpg

BrzGxOACEAEB3-j.jpg:large

DLR:
01-12-15-DSC_0993.jpg

01-12-15-DSC_0980.jpg

01-12-15-DSC_1253.jpg

TDL:

B7N8ZwLCcAAQfZS.jpg:large

tdl-frozen3.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

After reading all the mess.. I feel sorry for that CEO that will have to fix all the Iger's "fast cash-grab" movements and the entire DVC castle of cards, when it falls down.
The supposed front runner for the position when Iger leaves (the one Iger apparently wants in power according to a post by 74 a while back) is Jay Rasulo. I don't know if the Board of Directors shares Iger's promotion of Rasulo, but they seemed eager to vote Iger back in for longer (I don't know if that's because the board adores Iger or simply dreads his alternative). If Rasulo gets the job, needless to say he deserves no pity from anyone if it collapses on him (he helped cause a lot of the mess TWDC suffers from).

I hope it collapses while Iger is still in power, the sooner the better as far as i'm concerned. I feel it's important that the collapse happens while the ones who caused it are in power, it exposes them for what they are and reduces the chance of having scapegoats. It could actually happen since Iger's contract was extended again. It's important to send shockwaves back to the board of directors as to exactly who is was that caused this and what actions brought it about. If the collapse happens on another leader's watch, even if that CEO is otherwise a far better one than Iger and is blameless for the events that set this collapse into motion, they may well be unfairly accused for the sins of their predecessor. And the board may fall back on old bad habits assuming that a leader like Iger is what the company needed.

The sooner the better as far as i'm concerned, one would hope the fall would bring us that much closer to a real reformation process for the company. Hopefully the BoD will realize their folly and appoint someone decent for the task of cleaning the mess up and getting the company back on track.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Oh if you do ANY work involving the Chinese Gov't they know EXACTLY who you are and they are not shy about sharing things like website handles to let you KNOW they know. China is a very unique place.
They are more then that then... they must be frickin magicians and mind readers. Makes me wonder why we were so surprised by North Korea. They must also be bored if all they have to worry about is a post in a Disney Discussion Forum.

In the event that this is true (what the hell, it could be) all I can say is... Hi Mr. Chinese Man, hope you are having a good day. P.S. Love your food!

Donald Razorduck

What specific situations are you referring to?

This is a rather famous Chinese knock off from a few years ago, The Ford 150 and Chevy Avalanche had a love child.
JAC-Ford-F150.jpg

We made a part for a rather large multinational compressor company that supplies the heart to lots of ACs. It was a rather simple thing but had very, very tight tolerances because it was an adaptor to a part they already had tens of thousands of before the 08 recession hit and they could not bear having to completely make a new part. It has to be CNC'ed and we have an in house, homemade tool that does a certain process for it. They tried stamping it and other forms of manufacturing, anything to pay us our price, their Chinese folk couldn't figure out how we were doing it and it wasn't from trying. Every time they stopped ordering from us, they'd have to come back. We'd get a few more cents for the part each time. It's a love/hate thing but we export to China :)

I could tell you a story about when Whirlpool shipped their ice maker production for side by sides over there and how it was a nightmare. When it comes to reverse engineering the Chinese can't touch the Japanese. I giggle everytime they trot out their stealth fighter, I can only imagine how quality it is.

BrianLo

I think a little too much angst over WDW's last decade is being applied to Iger as a whole. The man is leaving a far stronger Disney brand than the one he stumbled into. WDW biggest fault was - on paper - about the only thing that didn't require fixing in 2005. He can be blamed for letting it continue to flirt with disaster, but the broken mentality that infected TDO precedes the man.

On the other hand, the public once again has faith in the Disney brand and many of the films and products it is associated with. Perception is power.

That's a far harder thing to fix than a theme park. A theme park just needs investment.

Cesar R M

The supposed front runner for the position when Iger leaves (the one Iger apparently wants in power according to a post by 74 a while back) is Jay Rasulo. I don't know if the Board of Directors shares Iger's promotion of Rasulo, but they seemed eager to vote Iger back in for longer (I don't know if that's because the board adores Iger or simply dreads his alternative). If Rasulo gets the job, needless to say he deserves no pity from anyone if it collapses on him (he helped cause a lot of the mess TWDC suffers from).

I hope it collapses while Iger is still in power, the sooner the better as far as i'm concerned. I feel it's important that the collapse happens while the ones who caused it are in power, it exposes them for what they are and reduces the chance of having scapegoats. It could actually happen since Iger's contract was extended again. It's important to send shockwaves back to the board of directors as to exactly who is was that caused this and what actions brought it about. If the collapse happens on another leader's watch, even if that CEO is otherwise a far better one than Iger and is blameless for the events that set this collapse into motion, they may well be unfairly accused for the sins of their predecessor. And the board may fall back on old bad habits assuming that a leader like Iger is what the company needed.

The sooner the better as far as i'm concerned, one would hope the fall would bring us that much closer to a real reformation process for the company. Hopefully the BoD will realize their folly and appoint someone decent for the task of cleaning the mess up and getting the company back on track.
kinda hard considering that Marvel is firing on all cylinders.. and despite that Pixar might get a "downtime" after an impressive run.

Cesar R M

I think a little too much angst over WDW's last decade is being applied to Iger as a whole. The man is leaving a far stronger Disney brand than the one he stumbled into. WDW biggest fault was - on paper - about the only thing that didn't require fixing in 2005. He can be blamed for letting it continue to flirt with disaster, but the broken mentality that infected TDO precedes the man.

On the other hand, the public once again has faith in the Disney brand and many of the films and products it is associated with. Perception is power.

That's a far harder thing to fix than a theme park. A theme park just needs investment.
You're confusing "building a company" vs "buying a company".
He pretty much bought "sure win" franchises and franchises who were gigantic.
You must be pretty damn dumb to ruin Marvel and Star Wars after their incredible run.

TP2000

Anyone who thinks that WDW isn't always looking to go cheap should compare the recent Frozen offerings with those in Anaheim. Of course, then you could compare Anaheim's to Tokyo's to see how things should really be done.

The always-entertaining WDW vs. Disneyland game is easy to play with the Frozen Fun stuff, but I'm not sure it's equitable with what just opened at Tokyo.

Anaheim's Frozen Fun has four main elements; Meet n' Greet, Sing-Along Show, Olaf's Snow Fest, and Freeze The Night! dance party.

The double-room Frozen Princess Meet n' Greet in DCA is gorgeously done, and it looks like it was made (and budgeted) to remain for the next decade or more.

DCA's Olaf's Snow Fest is most similar to DHS's Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland. And that's where it's obvious that TDA spent more money than TDO did. It may only be used for four months, but Olaf's Snow Fest looks very nicely done and Imagineered with fully immersive sets and surfaces. Food, merchandise, live music, Olaf meet n' greet, real snow and toboggan runs. Fabulous!
frznnn654322.jpg

The Sing-Along show in Anaheim is nearly identical to the WDW version on stage, but Anaheim's venue is much more impressive and lavishly done from the entry queue to the auditorium. This looks permanent, and appears to have booted the Muppets from Anaheim. But the painfully empty theaters that MuppetVision has played to in Anaheim tell me this was the right decision to make, the right thing for TDA to spend more money on. Good decision Anaheim suits!
DSC_1299-L.jpg

Freeze The Night! is what it is; another glowy cocktail dance party for locals and hipster tourists to enjoy in the evenings. The Marshmallow meet n' greet seems to be the breakout hit, interestingly. I just don't think you can compare this to the Holiday Inn Wedding Reception DJ (Hey kids, it's Macarena time!) that TDO books for all their juvenile dance parties in the WDW parks. Apples to Oranges, really. But Marshmallow sure is cool!
Christmas_Freeze_the_Night_03.JPG

Count the new Arendelle set added to Disneyland's Storybook Land Canal Boats ride (a rare time when I can honestly say "Walt would love this!"), and the new Frozen stage show in Disneyland's Princess Fantasy Faire, and Anaheim has the lock on fresh Frozen offerings.
NFF697401.jpg

But obviously you have to do all this stuff and spend the extra money on it in Anaheim, and can't do any of this in Orlando. Because, you know, Disneyland is a little, tiny locals-only park that hardly anyone goes to anymore. But WDW has the blessing of size and gets millions more visitors and lots of Brazilian tour groups and it has 30,000 hotel rooms and is Walt's dream come true and so it can't do anything as lavishly as Disneyland. Cause that's how it makes sense. :confused:

As for Tokyo's version of Frozen Fun, it looks fabulous, to be sure. Tokyo always makes things look good. But it's a different menu of offerings from what the American parks tried to do. In Tokyo, they are using Disneyland as the backdrop for Frozen offerings instead of second-gates like DCA or DHS. And Tokyo's offerings are limited to a Castle show and Hub parade, and merch/food offerings. I don't think they even have a Frozen meet n' greet or any physical setup of any kind, do they?

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I find the latest Disney Copycat Park,Taishan Fantawild Adventure Park (opened 2010), in China to be fascinating in its attempts to copy&paste sections from some of the best examples in Disney's repetoire (TDS, DLP). It's an interesting study in the art of theme park design and architecture: a Frankenstein's monster.

Yep, and this is why Disney is being very secretive about details of their Shanghai Park

PhotoDave219

Spirited Tuesday Quickees:

So, NBC (among others) aren't going to show the cover of Charlie Hebdo due to 'cultural sensitivity' ... I'm sorry to our language filters and all, but that is bull$hit of the highest order ... freaking cowards giving into fundamentalists and terrorists.

I admit it: all these TV commercials are making me want to go see The Lion King yet again.

Yesterday's Spirited Disaster of the Day: a baby (6-8 inch) snake under the bed ... yes, really ... and , please, no fanboi jokes here (heard them all already!) And people really think FL is just this amazing wonderland to live in ... crazy.

Sorry to hear that Gary Buchanan is no longer employed by TWDC. For all the 'Crazy Gary' comments, the man is a real professional that bled pixie dust. I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors. He's probably much better off without the Mouse, even if leaving hurts.

Did something cancel or delay yesterday's FoF parade at MK? I ask because I apparently had booked a FP for it, when I thought I'd be up there this week, and was sent a notification saying it was not available.

Two things on that: 1.) I wanted to see exactly whether it is ever 'worth' FPing a parade and; 2.) I was offered a replacement anytime FP for mostly Fantasyland experience including meeting Anna and Elsa and riding Peter Pan's Flight at anytime post 2:45 p.m.

Ohio State and Urban Meyer winning the NCAA championship. Yeah, I sorta double puked on that one.

I once pulled a baby rattlesnake out of my house in Virginia once. True story.

There was a deluge of epic proportion yesterday. Lots of rain.

Longhairbear

Any DVC member should go to the official DVCMember.com, and read the comments being left by members concerning the Poly, prices, points, park crowds, FP+, dining ADR, and not getting new attractions at the parks.
All of the comments made on Jan 13 are negative, not one member posted a positive comment about the new Poly DVC units, not one.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

No one should doubt that Bob Iger has been a strong CEO for corporate Disney as a whole.

However, as a WDW fansite, our primary concern is what's happening at WDW. From a WDW perspective, Iger's first 9 years as CEO have been the worst ever in WDW's history.

Consider:
  • Under Iger, the domestic theme park investment level has been at an all-time low. Michael Eisner averaged a domestic theme park growth capex level of 10% of annual domestic P&R revenue. Iger has averaged 2%. Even though WDW generates the lion's share of P&R revenue, most of the paltry P&R investment that has occurred has been outside of Orlando. Iger loves to spend WDW's profits elsewhere.
  • Under Iger, from 2005 to 2013, the price of a Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket increased by 55% while Median Household Income increased by only 12%. CEOs like Bob Iger increase executive compensation by double-digits, yet squeeze the vast majority of their employees (and customers) with tiny pay increases and higher prices.
  • Under Iger, theme park maintenance continues to decline as ride elements are allowed to remain broken for months and years.
  • Under Iger, the theme parks have never felt more crowded as attractions are closed while Iger fails to increase capacity to keep up with demand.
It's not as if Iger's theme park strategy has worked. Iger holds a dubious distinction: 7 of the 10 lowest Parks & Resorts gross margin years in the history of the company.

Wall Street loves Iger for what's happened to Disney as a whole.

WDW fans should despise Iger for what's happened at WDW during the last 9 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom