A Spirited Perfect Ten

baymenxpac

hey, @WDW1974. you think skipper and co. had a hard time eating crow on hockey on ESPN? just got awarded the US rights to the world cup of hockey. i bet they are kicking themselves for cutting ties with the NHL and sending them to NBC.

RivieraJenn

I was speaking with a client of mine a few days ago and he just returned from Shanghai actually. He was telling me about the spitting issue. He said it was crazy, they just spit right in front of you but its not meant to be rude. He said it takes some getting used to.

Right. These things are just accepted in China--spitting, slurping, shoving to get on the bus. None of it is meant to be rude; it's a different approach to manners. But it can be shocking to Western sensibilities.

the.dreamfinder

hey, @WDW1974. you think skipper and co. had a hard time eating crow on hockey on ESPN? just got awarded the US rights to the world cup of hockey. i bet they are kicking themselves for cutting ties with the NHL and sending them to NBC.
I think they're still butt hurt from giving up the rights to Sunday Night Football, which NBC has turned into an event and solid ratings performer. At the same time, they still would like to have been able to bid on the 2026 Fifa World Cup whose US TV rights were sold to Murdoch in exchange for a potential windfall from the Sky networks in the future.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...ghts-deal-for-world-cup-with-fox-through-2026

baymenxpac

I think they're still butt hurt from giving up the rights to Sunday Night Football, which NBC has turned into an event and solid ratings performer. At the same time, they still would like to have been able to bid on the 2026 Fifa World Cup whose US TV rights were sold to Murdoch in exchange for a potential windfall from the Sky networks in the future.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...ghts-deal-for-world-cup-with-fox-through-2026

i doubt they care about SNF when they have MNF.

also, it's a little different, considering ESPN actively told the NHL to kick rocks after the first lock up, citing lack of viability and interest in the product in america. which, of course, is silly.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Quick question for those who seem to be up on their Chinese culture. Is it socially acceptable in China to smack and slurp constantly when you eat? A large contingent of Chinese people are staying at the same hotel I am at and practically all of them smack and slurp loudly while they eat. Just curious.

When eating noodles it's part of the culture...same thing in Japan. When eating ramen, for example, bringing air in when eating the noodles is said to enhance the flavor or something.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When eating noodles it's part of the culture...same thing in Japan. When eating ramen, for example, bringing air in when eating the noodles is said to enhance the flavor or something.

Yes it's entirely appropriate it's why chinese soup spoons are shaped oddly (to westerners( so you can slurp the soup.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
i doubt they care about SNF when they have MNF.

also, it's a little different, considering ESPN actively told the NHL to kick rocks after the first lock up, citing lack of viability and interest in the product in america. which, of course, is silly.
Hockey is a much more regional* sport than football. Bruins fans generally care much less about what's going on with the Blackhawks than Patriots fans care about what's going on with the Colts. A big driver of this is the culture of Fantasy Football, which makes every NFL game must-see TV for a lot of people. Hockey fans tend to care more about THEIR team.

baymenxpac

Hockey is a much more regional* sport than football. Bruins fans generally care much less about what's going on with the Blackhawks than Patriots fans care about what's going on with the Colts. A big driver of this is the culture of Fantasy Football, which makes every NFL game must-see TV for a lot of people. Hockey fans tend to care more about THEIR team.

right, but that's not my point. because it was never about hockey vs. football.

ESPN made a decision to cut ties with hockey and now they're making a pretty big concession to the contrary by outbidding other networks for a tournament that is in its infancy stages and doesn't even have clear structure yet.

connecting it to the bigger picture, it shows how TWDC doesn't always make the right calls, specifically when they're blinded by their own self importance.

don't need to go on a big tangent about sports vs. sports. that really wasn't the intention of my post.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

ESPN made a decision to cut ties with hockey and now they're making a pretty big concession to the contrary by outbidding other networks for a tournament that is in its infancy stages and doesn't even have clear structure yet.

connecting it to the bigger picture, it shows how TWDC doesn't always make the right calls, specifically when they're blinded by their own self importance.

don't need to go on a big tangent about sports vs. sports. that really wasn't the intention of my post.
My point was that I believe they were correct in their assessment that there is a "lack of viability and interest" in the NHL on a national scale.

I think you're making a big mistake to conflate the viability of the World Cup of Hockey with the viability of the NHL. It's the difference between the World Cup (soccer) and the Premier League. Once every four years people get jazzed about swimming and gymnastics, too, but that doesn't mean ESPN is going to buy broadcast rights for "Sunday Night Swimming."

baymenxpac

My point was that I believe they were correct in their assessment that there is a "lack of viability and interest" in the NHL on a national scale.

I think you're making a big mistake to conflate the viability of the World Cup of Hockey with the viability of the NHL. It's the difference between the World Cup (soccer) and the Premier League. Once every four years people get jazzed about swimming and gymnastics, too, but that doesn't mean ESPN is going to buy broadcast rights for "Sunday Night Swimming."

eh, i don't agree. hockey fans will be into the world cup of hockey, but what casual fans will be? if you asked a non-hockey fan about the world cup of hockey at this very second, they'd either say they know nothing about it OR they'd lie saying they're super excited for it and then promptly google it.

i don't think you can compare it yet to the world cup (soccer), since it's brand new and the world cup has been around since 1930. it's really more in line with the world baseball classic, which has the same regional interest problems/dynamics you mentioned.

Travel Junkie

I doubt ESPN is kicking themselves over the NHL rights. ESPN has had a lot of success with televising tournaments and they more than likely view like that and not an oh we missed out on hockey we gotta get in somehow. Look at SC on a nightly basis and they hardly acknowledge the NHL exists. The World Cup stung, especially FOX getting the most recent rights without a bidding process.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
eh, i don't agree. hockey fans will be into the world cup of hockey, but what casual fans will be? if you asked a non-hockey fan about the world cup of hockey at this very second, they'd either say they know nothing about it OR they'd lie saying they're super excited for it and then promptly google it.

i don't think you can compare it yet to the world cup (soccer), since it's brand new and the world cup has been around since 1930. it's really more in line with the world baseball classic, which has the same regional interest problems/dynamics you mentioned.
I think the big "TBD" will be what happens to Olympic hockey. If it sticks around, then the World Cup might be tough to make work financially. But if it goes away (the NHL players union hates it), then I could see this taking the place as the big hockey tournament that people get excited about every four years. How many casual fans were watching TJ Oshie in a shootout against Russia at 8 AM on a Sunday morning? A lot.

CentralFLlife

I think the big "TBD" will be what happens to Olympic hockey. If it sticks around, then the World Cup might be tough to make work financially. But if it goes away (the NHL players union hates it), then I could see this taking the place as the big hockey tournament that people get excited about every four years. How many casual fans were watching TJ Oshie in a shootout against Russia at 8 AM on a Sunday morning? A lot.
The Players Union absolutely loves the olympics. The players are thrilled that they get a chance to be on the national team, just look at how hard Patrick Sharp worked to get on the team and what has happened since as far as his play. He has had a bit of a down year which many think is due to pushing so hard to make the national team. And 90% of players get several weeks off because of it, so that helps.

Its the League and the Owners that absolutely despise it. I forget who it was last year, a major player for a playoff team tore his ACL in sochi and had to miss the rest of the season. The owners hate that they have hundreds of millions of dollars tied up in players who are risking career ending injuries while playing for someone else.

Cesar R M

Quick question for those who seem to be up on their Chinese culture. Is it socially acceptable in China to smack and slurp constantly when you eat? A large contingent of Chinese people are staying at the same hotel I am at and practically all of them smack and slurp loudly while they eat. Just curious.
I remember reading that its not rude to do that, but it doesnt mean it as a compliment.
Its just "normal" for them.

Cesar R M

Hey look, a 30 second ad for the Cinderella movie where only ten seconds are footage of Cinderella.

Shows where Disney marketing's priorities lie.

...ruining the trailer with more frozen carp...
ozj53Vi.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom