A Spirited Perfect Ten

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
I think we'll be fine as long as there's no middle eastern countries who's leader help take the American embassy.

And hold hostages. And negotiate in bad faith. For 444 days.

Your biggest concern now shouldn't be about a Nation/State. There is plenty of material and many delivery methods.

FerretAfros

Unfortunately (maybe Fortunately?), this is my only experience with Shanghai 1.5 years ago.

16499788357_d28e198b5e_b.jpg

16707063905_88833afdb4_b.jpg

Which is why I have a hard problem accepting that pollution is going to make SDL unvisitable.

I think the general sentiment seems to be that everywhere in China is one amorphous blob of a country, when it really is not. Pollution is a problem, but it is not half the problem that it is in Beijing. Knowledge of Western culture is a problem, but not half the problem that it is in Beijing.

Shanghai for the most part is a very modern, mostly clean, more Western focused (with economic free-trade zones) than much of the rest of China.

If pollution and lack of knowledge (or even dislike) of Western culture is the main concern, at least Disney picked the right place to enter the market.

I'd frankly be far more concerned for Universal, they will face twice the problems up in Beijing... and that's not something you hear the Universal fanbois ever mention when they poo-poo on SDL.

Again, I'm still aware pollution is a problem, but most of the really (really) bad stuff you hear is not Shanghai. It's like saying you shouldn't build a park in California because you heard about all the hurricanes they get, or not building a park in Florida because the big earth quake is expected anytime now.
Those are some incredible pictures! I don't think I've ever seen photos of the Bund that clear. Ever.

Although Shanghai doesn't get *as* bad as other parts of China (after all it is a financial center, not a manufacturing center) that doesn't mean that it doesn't get bad. Here are some photos from my trip in 2010 to visit the World Expo for a comparison. Just keep in mind that these were taken during the summer, which is supposed to be the 'low season' for pollution (late fall/winter is far worse), and while Shanghai was attempting to show itself off as a beacon of futurism to the world (literally busing in people from across the country to goose the Expo attendance numbers far beyond any previous Expo).

Does this look like a healthy forward-thinking place?
101_0305.JPG

Or this view looking down the river, taken the following day after a morning of heavy rainfall that theoretically cleaned the air. There are skyscrapers on the right side, but they're hidden in the haze:
101_0382.JPG

And a lovely sunset turning all sorts of crazy colors at the Shanghai World Expo a few days later:
101_0650.JPG

As they say in Los Angeles, you should never trust air you can't see!

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not being the right type of Chinese can be trouble, but it's also not the racist dystopia he keeps trying to paint.

Have you BEEN there? It's not a racist dystopia it's just that the Chinese believe themselves to be the pinnacle of human evolution. And IQ test scores tend to validate that belief.

the.dreamfinder

I just wanted to make an interesting side note about Bob's clothing choices, Willow's Oscar dress excluded. Over the past couple years, Bob has increasingly worn cardigans when he makes public appearances.
article-0-1D95DF5700000578-16_634x627.jpg

bob%20iger%20tom%20skaggs%20john%20lasseter%20%20paul%20hiffmeyer%20photo.jpg

Generally, I really don't care or pay attention to what someone like Bob chooses to wear, but then there's this.
walt-disney-fun-facts-460578038-jul-17-2012-600x499.jpg

Walt loved wearing cardigans around the studio. Heck, Imagineer John Hench did a portrait of Mickey in Walt's favorite orange cardigan.
hench-5.jpg

Surely this isn't a coincidence. We have a CEO with reputation for being impersonal and not particularly attached to the company, Teflon like as some spirits may say. It is very fascinating that a suit is now wearing Walt's uniform so to speak.

Cesar R M

I think we'll be fine as long as there's no middle eastern countries who's leader help take the American embassy.

And hold hostages. And negotiate in bad faith. For 444 days.
could have helped if they didn't removed the prior government and then set up a puppet which was hated by everyone in that country.

it all depends on the point of view, you know.

Almost every thing bad that has happened to the US as been from something they did in the past.
like 9/11 (Al Qaeda being created by the US to fight the Russians for example)

Have you BEEN there? It's not a racist dystopia it's just that the Chinese believe themselves to be the pinnacle of human evolution. And IQ test scores tend to validate that belief.
That sounds like many Euro countries during their top imperialist age as well.

the whole "we're superior" is the epythme of bad things. Its like a technique to dehumanize the rest of the population and excuse bad treatment/wars/invasions/thief/pillage/destruction/genocide.

Cesar R M

I just wanted to make an interesting side note about Bob's clothing choices, Willow's Oscar dress excluded. Over the past couple years, Bob has increasingly worn cardigans when he makes public appearances.
article-0-1D95DF5700000578-16_634x627.jpg

bob%20iger%20tom%20skaggs%20john%20lasseter%20%20paul%20hiffmeyer%20photo.jpg

Generally, I really don't care or pay attention to what someone like Bob chooses to wear, but then there's this.
walt-disney-fun-facts-460578038-jul-17-2012-600x499.jpg

Walt loved wearing cardigans around the studio. Heck, Imagineer John Hench did a portrait of Mickey in Walt's favorite orange cardigan.
hench-5.jpg

Surely this isn't a coincidence. We have a CEO with reputation for being impersonal and not particularly attached to the company, Teflon like as some spirits may say. It is very fascinating that a suit is now wearing Walt's uniform so to speak.
Its like he's trying way too hard to put himself as the new Walt?

doctornick

Anybody know if Disney is working on something in the Bahamas. I have a friend whose son is an imagineer and says he's been working on something in the Bahamas. I haven't seen anything come up so that's why I was wondering.

I thought the big scuttlebutt in the Caribbean for Disney was plans for Cuba -- either for a DVC resort or a cruise destination.

Nubs70

[QUOTE="Cesar R M, post: 6580081, member: 925]

the whole "we're superior" is the epythme of bad things. Its like a technique to dehumanize the rest of the population and excuse bad treatment/wars/invasions/thief/pillage/destruction/genocide.[/QUOTE]
Like it or not, this is the environment you are being allowed to conduct business. All countries/cultures have a superiority complex. If you want to work in their "house", you need to play by their rules.

BrianLo

Surely this isn't a coincidence.

Or... Cardigan's are back in style?

"The sweater is mostly associated with the college culture of the Roaring Twenties and early 1930's, being also popular throughout the 1950's, the 1970's and the 1990's. Cardigans have also regained popularity during the present decade." The ever-sourceable Wikipedia.

I've also started wearing more cardigans recently, perhaps Bob Iger has taken over control of my subconscious...

Coincidence? Tinfoil hats, people! :p

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
[QUOTE="Cesar R M, post: 6580081, member: 925]

the whole "we're superior" is the epythme of bad things. Its like a technique to dehumanize the rest of the population and excuse bad treatment/wars/invasions/thief/pillage/destruction/genocide.
Like it or not, this is the environment you are being allowed to conduct business. All countries/cultures have a superiority complex. If you want to work in their "house", you need to play by their rules.[/QUOTE]

Well Said, Chinese are a bit more overt than most countries that said I admire them because they do what is good for the citizens of China.

Cesar R M

Or... Cardigan's are back in style?

"The sweater is mostly associated with the college culture of the Roaring Twenties and early 1930's, being also popular throughout the 1950's, the 1970's and the 1990's. Cardigans have also regained popularity during the present decade." The ever-sourceable Wikipedia.

I've also started wearing more cardigans recently, perhaps Bob Iger has taken over control of my subconscious...

Coincidence? Tinfoil hats, people! :p
I wonder if this will be classified as a disease.

"acute Bobigeritis - Disease that makes the victim wear unfashionable cardigans" :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom