A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I just DESPISE DRM systems they will all be cracked, even the 'unbreakable' Cinavia has been thoroughly defeated. In the end and the ONLY people DRM systems end up hurting is ordinary people who play by the rules, Just price the product realistically like iTunes did with the .99 cents/track in the US and the vast majority of people will happily pay for content, The remainder NEVER will and those 'lost' sales which the industry kvetches about were never real in the FIRST place.

That being said I don't buy Blu Ray because I don't choose to support revocable media and these days there is not much coming out that I want anyway and my Farjouda upscaler does a pretty good job of improving visuals on DVD to 1080i
Cinavia as been broken? since when?
since it hits directly into the sound stream.. it is very hard to filter from cinavia infected devices.

Cesar R M

I still buy Blu-ray because of the outstanding audio and video quality. Of course, they immediately get ripped with MakeMKV, stored on my 10 TB media server, and streamed to all of the media players in my house over my wired CAT6 gigabit network. It's good to be an IT guy. ;)

I buy blu rays. I tend to not spend more than $10 on any movie. This makes Disney movies a once in a blue moon buy since they all tend to be $15 or more. Once I buy them I rip them, convert them to a MP4 file that's about 6 or so GB and then throw them on a server where I can play them with Plex on my smart TV.
good to know there are techie guys here.
I also have a mini server (5Tb for now) and use Universal Media Server to stream my movies.
I find Plex a bit too clunky for my tastes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I still buy Blu-ray because of the outstanding audio and video quality. Of course, they immediately get ripped with MakeMKV, stored on my 10 TB media server, and streamed to all of the media players in my house over my wired CAT6 gigabit network. It's good to be an IT guy. ;)

For me it's a matter of principle I don't buy revocable media. Will it make any difference probably not but I'm also free to criticize the media while pointing out I don't have that flavor at all not even a PLAYER.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Night Musings:

D@mn, that was tasty steak.

OK, sorry I've been away for a bit, had some water in the house that belonged outside. You know how that goes.

But I've also had a spate of the bizarre ... My computer picked up a nasty virus attached to a 'potential source's' email. You can draw your own conclusions. Is my voice the next one Disney wants silenced because it isn't happening and they shouldn't be ignorant enough to think it is.

BTW, funny how I talk to someone at the NYT yesterday and, a few hours later, Brooks 'Disney Owns Me' Barnes is busy tweeting a link to Dr. Blondie's Blog on MAGIC, Fanbois and the Orange Bird on a brief blog entry by Bruce 'I have no soul' Vaughn that looks like it was put up so quickly that they still haven't fixed the fact that Tom (a very popular name today) is referenced in it without any last name. What Tom is this? Who? Sure, I know they mean Tom Staggs (who don't forget has a gorgeous family, plays the trumpet and has good Midwestern values, except when he's at work for TWDC!), but who didn't and wondered who Tom was?

But, yeah, Pandora does look kewl. Like it would fit into a UNI park. Hey, maybe where Superhero Island is!

Look, y'all may want to have another mindless seven page and counting thread on UNI Vs. Disney -- I think this is Version 657 ... or discuss the amazing new Hub ... or drone on about price increases. But Disney is happy with that, so long as you aren't talking about China, SDL, $800 million, Willow Bay and censorship.

And I intend to keep discussing the things that really matter, so long as they are relevant. I think they're quite relevant.

I can't help but notice all the 'nothing stories' that have been appearing online, particularly on business web sites, to play up Disney, its leadership, its parks and, yes, its future in China. It does give one pause as to why the flood of them (hate using that word right now) right after they scrubbed the 'net clean of the HuffPo piece ... you know the one ... Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China.

Just a last note before I start checking the posts I've missed, but I think there's been a serious misunderstanding on the part of some folks out there. Let me set them straight, for all the questions I have posed and others have posed about Disney's truly disastrous entry into mainland China, the one aspect of this that has gained traction and has several voices you can't ignore involved would be Willow Bay and her conflicted role as Director of the Annenberg School of Journalism, wife of Disney CEO Bob Iger and Huffington Post Senior Editor.

Looks like the academics who were extremely unhappy with her selection and just waiting for an opening just got one you could drive a semi through. Momentum is building and a couple that I have been communicating with say it doesn't matter whether she is guilty of what I and others are accusing her of, the University is going to have a hard time keeping her in that role because looks do matter.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Everyone should start a trend on twitter, and tweet about the Huffington Post article that has been removed by Willow Bay. If it starts trending on Twitter, Disney wouldn't be able to censor every single journalist that wants to pick up the story. It really is a shame when the first amendment rights of journalists are being scrapped by corporations that have motives of their own. We need to set an example and make it so journalists don't have to worry about getting censored because of their content. #firewillowbay #protectjournalistsrights
Lets start a trend.

"Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China" is a prime example of a journalist losing their first amendment rights. #firewillowbay #firstamendment
https://twitter.com/dodgerfan4life9

It's very scary that corporations can come in and dictate stories be taken down for just about any reason. I have spent large chunks of this week, when I have better things to do (some that even involve China!), reading and taking apart that Op-Ed. There is nothing defamatory in it. There is nothing factually not true in it. It is in no way a ''hit piece'' as it has been described in some circles. The author linked to items to back up his facts, including multiple NYT, LA Times, industry trades etc. All to simply support an opinion. Oh, and he put a disclosure on the column alluding to a potential perception of bias that he was in no way required to do.

Anyone can state an opinion that TWDC (or any other company) doesn't like. If there is something factually incorrect, then they have every right to complain and ask for a correction on that point. Funny how they didn't do that. What they don't have is the right to libel or to smear an author because his opinion could harm their business interests.

And why this particular column?

Someone on the DIS Boards thread about this subject, of all places, pointed out that it's far from uncommon for Disney to get negative stories run about it (indeed, many fanbois laughably call Soup & Salad Sandra's paper the Slantinel because they are actually believing the paper treats Disney unfairly when it really has a department that is little more than an extension of Disney's Press and Publicity office). The poster observed that there had to be something ''extra special'' for it to be pulled in less than 24 hours. And then that ongoing effort to have it scrubbed from the Internet.

I would encourage people to get things out on the Twitter, although considering the way it is splintered into cliques and such, that is tough.

But y'all could simply Tweet at USC and at Disney and also email people simply with a copy of the censored story. You could try Zenia.Mucha@Disney.com because as you know she heads D23 and just loves fans and communicating with them or Robert.A.Iger@Disney.com ... etc etc.

But the blood in the water right now that Disney can't get rid of is not inside the company, or even at the HuffPo, it's over at USC. That's where there's weakness and that's where you have professors and students alike wondering why they were discussing a Yoda dress ... and how it is that Willow Bay (a pretty talking head, former model with made up name) beat out so many talented, truly gifted people for the role she is in. For the moment, anyhow.

#FireWillowBay #Disneycensors #$DISChinaTroubles

WDW1974

Original Poster
I take great joy in posting this so I'm going to post it again... Maybe we should caption it?

eisner.jpg

MDE: Ni Hao Bob, nice new coaster!

What coaster? I don't see a coaster. We all know that was taken in a ballroom at some hotel and it's just some painted backdrop.

Now, can I get just one person here ... one ... maybe one of my fans in the PML ... someone to argue the point that something is fundamentally off when Disney won't (can't ... isn't allowed by their Commies partners and I love 'em ... God bless their hearts!) release a photo of Iger or Staggs or someone on the darn site.

I mean, I know I'm right. But there must be someone who wants to debate this point and make some lamearse excuse as to why there have been none.

Hey, @ParentsOf4 is there some kind of numbers explanation for this?:D

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Sorry, but that is old news. A number of people have claimed being able to defeat Cinavia but so far nothing works except using a non-infected player.

Sure a non-infected player will always beat a Cinavia infected player, but I'd like to think we all have a little class and wouldn't take much joy in beating someone in that weakened condition. How would Connors have felt if he beat a Cinavia infected McEnroe riddled with sores and barely able to move, forced to take constant breaks due to his uncontrollable, explosive diarrhea? Really puts things in perspective doesn't it.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow, that was incredibly painful to watch. The obviously scripted sections and the parts where he is fumbling for words are bad enough. But his overall lack of passion and enthusiasm is not what I want to see from a CEO discussing the biggest project in his company.

Well, he didn't have a Shendi approved script and Zenia wasn't there to talk for him. Don't you sorta feel bad for him and think well ... maybe is worth every penny or a few pennies that he is paid, right?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Free press is on life support. We get the stories they choose for us to hear, not news. This type of manipulated media goes way past Bob and Willow. ABC seems to almost encourage it, lol

ABC News executive producer Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Advisor

ABC News & Univision reporter Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama's Deputy Press Secretary

ABC News correspondent Claire Shipman is married to former White house Press Secretary Jay Carney

CNN’s deputy Washington bureau chief, Virginia Moseley, is married to Tom Nides, who was deputy secretary of state under Hillary Rodham Clinton

The list goes on and on. No different than the revolving door politics that goes unchecked for the most part. Foxes watching the hen house.

That's for darn sure (thanks new word screening ^&*%$^*) and is just the start.

I have pondered contacting ABC News nationally about this, but part of me isn't sure it's worth the effort. I do think they'd go out of their way to pretend they were taking it seriously before blowing it off ... I mean, it isn't like the other night when David Muir wasted 30 seconds of a nightly newscast to the Frozen short that is opening with Cinderella next month. There is no reason for that, except Disney asked.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the author is handling this as it is an unpaid contribution on a Blog ... and I really don't want the Redstones coming after me. There are plenty of others they can target. They have a reputation and it is a well-earned one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom