A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you really think there's anyone at Disney who remembers life before 1993? A trip to WDW is all you need to show you that!

WDW's Prez was a little closeted Winter Haven teen back in 1971 when he began his retail career with WDW.

George Kalogridis remembers when the Legacy meant something, when the standards were real, when the product may have been pricey but it didn't price out huge segments of the market and the goal wasn't to screw the Guests out of every last penny.

By being the good soldier, he has become a multi-millionaire and one of the most powerful businessmen in Florida. But he's still retail ... unlike say LeBron James, he'll never wind up on the cover of THR!

But, yeah, he remembers. Folks like Phil Holmes and Jim MacPhee and even a young guy like Danny Cockerell, they all remember.

They also remember what exactly got them the titles and stock they now have.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
WDW's Prez was a little closeted Winter Haven teen back in 1971 when he began his retail career with WDW.

George Kalogridis remembers when the Legacy meant something, when the standards were real, when the product may have been pricey but it didn't price out huge segments of the market and the goal wasn't to screw the Guests out of every last penny.

By being the good soldier, he has become a multi-millionaire and one of the most powerful businessmen in Florida. But he's still retail ... unlike say LeBron James, he'll never wind up on the cover of THR!

But, yeah, he remembers. Folks like Phil Holmes and Jim MacPhee and even a young guy like Danny Cockerell, they all remember.

For the corporate challenged 'Don't Make Waves' Yes Sir, No Sir May I have another Sir

WDW1974

Original Poster
So what can we do to get wider press interested in Igergate? How do we bring this to the public's attention like SaveDisney managed to with Eisner?

It should be a good one for many publications - the boss of Disney is on course for a bumpy opening for Shanghai that will make EuroDisney's first years look quite healthy in comparison, losing stockholders tons of money, and in the process $800M has disappeared, possibly into the pockets of Chinese officials.

The only article to give negative analysis on Shanghai gets shut down by Iger's wife, in a big breach of journalism ethics.

These events should be really interesting to Wall Street publications, and anyone doing corporate investigative journalism, but nobody seems to care except us. Has Iger really built such an impenetrable wall of love around him that nobody has the slightest interest in questioning him anymore?

Simple.

Get the word out. Email or phone anyone who might have an interest. If you Tweet, get it out that way or on FB. Hell, even if you think it's a waste, it may not be.

I've talked to a few writers this week. They were aware of the situation before I even phoned, which tells you this is getting around. That's if the removal from the Google cache didn't show the interest level. And let's not for a second think that we were the audience for that piece. That was designed for a very small, very powerful group. I'm willing to bet most of them have copies on their desks. That doesn't mean that you can't push others into doing their jobs and looking into it but you wouldn't want to waste time with say ... Soup & Salad Sandra. You want real reporters and analysts. Think New York. Think LA. Think London. Think Hong Kong.

Those folks will be interested. And the more people they hear from, the more likely they are to act. Very simple.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A Spirited Tidbit of News (and Then Some Commentary):

Usually, I try and make sure to have 2-3 sources I trust when placing out news. But sometimes, well, that just isn't possible and you have to make a choice to trust a source and if the info passes the smell test, you run it.. In this case, I trust the source and the information passes that test.

Folks have wondered about what went on behind the scenes of this whole Iger/Mrs. Iger/HuffoPo story and wonder, like I did, what was going on.

Well, this is, as near as I can tell, the scoop.

After Willow Bay pulled the ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' (BTW, there's a reason I keep typing that story headline out as it will come up in search engines) from the HuffPo and put out a libelous statement against the writer, an attorney for the Redstones contacted the HuffPo. They ordered the statement be removed immediately (and it was) and that the Op-Ed be put back up (that was refused). The attorney then ordered that all of the author's work be removed from the HuffPo immediately (and it was) as the work remains the property of the author and they didn't want the organization to profit in any way from them given the censorship issue.

That's what I can tell. Makes sense.

Just like ...

Willow's wonderful Oscar dress (BTW, why didn't Bob wear a Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker tie to make the show complete?) was worn literally to take attention on the Internet away from a story title and photo that even the Igers can't get scrubbed.

Go to the Twitverse. Amazing how almost every comment on Willow's dress begins with ''Disney CEO'' ... and hence, the HuffPo dead link and photo drop further down into, what the Igers hope will be, obscurity.

Now, I could argue that won't happen because we're talking about it today. I'm reasonably sure had the story been left alone that it wouldn't be a topic of discussion this week.

I'm hoping to be able to post some further info on this topic later tonight or tomorrow, but I can't guarantee it. I can tease it, though. It's not good for Disney, for Bob and for Willow ... or for USC.
This makes a lot of sense. Hopefully then the writer will post more on the story someplace else. I'm sure there are plenty of places that would love to host that content.

The dress thing is still really bizarre to me. I guess if the intent really was to draw attention away from the Huff Post story it worked, but it's a pretty unconventional move and actually almost too savvy for Disney who seems to fail to grasp the nuances of social media.

Funmeister

Important to note adjusted earnings per share for Comcast was up .77 cents which was in line with expectations. Disney's adjusted earnings per share was up $1.27 which blew away any and everyone. Comcast stock price based on this news has had a nice little gain of a little under a dollar, when Disney's peformance was reported the stock went up 7 dollars and has increased dramatically.

So before people want to make this out to be some huge win for Comcast, you still need to understand Disney's point of view they don't have competition, which so far still holds water. Like it or not.

If Universal and Comcast did not exist, how much of that .77 earnings per share would go to Disney? Sorry, competition is alive and well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I didn't either.

I did see Grand Budapest and thought it was typically stylish and fairly engrossing. A great film, however, it was not.

My favorite film on 2014 might surprise you: Guardians of the Galaxy. But I didn't get to see any films from September on due to some family circumstances. Now, I **** well know GotG didn't deserve mention at the Oscars as popcorn films aren't what the Academy is there to honor. ...So, everyone I know who saw Birdman either loved it or hated it. When that happens I usually think the movie is OK, but nothing special. I suspect that may well be my reaction when I finally see it.

I'd have to agree that GotG is probably my favorite movie as well for 2014 mainly because it was simply FUN, Grand Budapest was similar just a fun flick. And why should popcorn flicks not be eligible for the Oscars these days, Snow White was a popcorn flick yet back when the Oscars were about FILM popcorn flicks won too.

Now it seems "The winner of the Deconstructionist, didactic propaganda category is.." is the kind of film that wins the Oscars these days.

And the snub of 'Selma' was beyond the pale and it seems that it was snubbed because Oprah was not a member of the 'old boys club'

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry, I should have been clearer: this was a public holiday in PRC and numerous tour groups from the mainland (those who arrived before the travel ban) were in Hong Kong.

The government of China may try to paint consumerism in whatever light it wants, but China (not Hong Kong, although it is, too) has become as much of a consumer culture as the United States. If the people themselves are consuming these brands in mass quantities, I'm skeptical that the government's presentation of America matters quite so much.

China is as capitalist as we are. Why do you think corruption is such an issue?

In my experiences there, they are in no way anti-consumerism. The opposite is true. I don't see/hear/read loads of anti-American propaganda there either. Frankly, I hear more anti-China lies by our free 'unless Bob and Willow got a problem with ya' press.

The American BRANDS that I see doing great over there are YUM Brands (Pizza Hut in China is truly amazing and beyond the pan pizza you'd never know where you were eating!), which was the first company from the USA to really get exposure there. But GM, McDonald's and Starbucks are all doing great there as are many high end BRANDS, albeit in the big cities only (but Tiffany and Gucci don't exactly sell in the American Heartland either).

Disney isn't in the public consciousness on the mainland. That may bother Bob, but, as someone who has lived and worked there for many months multiple times, it's true.

I remember needing small gifts (part of the culture) for our team of volunteers during the Beijing Games in 2008 and after buying out all the flamingo and palm tree and gator magnets I could find (naturally, a day before) I ran into the local Disney outlet where they had a set of Toy Story magnets marked down to 99 cents (SCORE!!!). I spent another $31 and cleared them out. When I gave them to our kids, I'd venture to say that maybe 20% had an idea who the characters were (and these were college age, fluent English speakers who had studied western culture in Beijing). Again, Bob can crow all he wants about market penetration and all he is doing is lying. Wall Street analysts don't travel to China regularly. They see the numbers. They hear the predictions and they think Iger and Co. are golden. Perhaps, if they actually went aboard or talked to those who did, their perception of Disney's glowing predictions might change.

VJ

It’s a world of shoppers, a world of cashiers
It’s a world with no benches to rest your rears
There are stores everywhere
So it’s time to beware
It’s a mall world after all

It’s a mall, mall world

There are thousands of stores. Hey, now isn’t that fun
and we overcharge so you’ll spend a ton
We sell cheap junk with pride
Why would you want a ride

It’s a mall, mall world
Congratulations, you're officially one of my favorite people on this site.

fillerup

I don't have any startling insights on this, but the idea of Redstone lawyers ordering HuffPost to pull all of Snyder's articles don't make sense to me.

I would be pretty surprised if Huffington Post doesn't require copyright assignment from their contributors, thus retaining control of the material they publish. The blogging world as a rule craves exposure on HuffPo and therefore HuffPo gets to write the rules.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Bringing in a new chapter of weirdness to the HuffPo saga, I woke up this morning to an interesting email from the USC Alumni Association, inviting me to the USC Global Conference this fall in Shanghai, with none other than Bob Iger as the featured guest:

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=08245ccd24cc9d6794dd3be4e&id=98d1e45091&e=[UNIQID]

At this point, there will be no denying that Bob has been in Shanghai, and it will be getting tougher to hide his connection to Willow and Annenberg. I wonder if we'll finally get a photo of him on the construction site out of this...

I'm also sending this whole saga along to a friend of mine who is a big Disney fan with international experience, and 2 degrees from Annenberg. It will be interesting to see if we get a rise out of this

Isn't that a coincidence? Well, I'm of the belief that people who believe everything at face value are not very happy with the world and use it as a coping mechanism for not doing anything.

As to the picture, I'm honestly shocked that in light of this strange situation involving the HuffPo that Shendi's overlords didn't allow Bob to place a photo out there so he could 'save face' with anyone who is starting to ask questions as to Disney's business in Shanghai. It's not just fanbois who are wondering why if everything has been going so well and Disney and the CCP are getting along has the company been unable to present one photo of Bob Iger or Tom Staggs or Jay Rasulo or anyone on the site in the last four years of construction.

People wonder about this $800 million?!?!

The smoking gun is that Disney, not exactly shy when it comes to publicizing major, or minor, projects, hasn't put ONE PHOTO out in FOUR FREAKING YEARS.

Yes, that's why Bob is acting the way he is. Hastag it Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China !!! :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't have any startling insights on this, but the idea of Redstone lawyers ordering HuffPost to pull all of Snyder's articles don't make sense to me.

I would be pretty surprised if Huffington Post doesn't require copyright assignment from their contributors, thus retaining control of the material they publish. The blogging world as a rule craves exposure on HuffPo and therefore HuffPo gets to write the rules.

I need to head back to real world stuff. But I do know that for bloggers on the HuffPo, they retain all rights to their work. These are not paid staffers or even regular contributors.

Now, even if that wasn't the case, I'd be plenty freaked if I were a fall-guy for Willow Bay and I got a phone call from a Redstone lawyer. But that's just me ...

Funmeister

I went ahead to make this a little easier. Feel free to reply and add other contact info.

LA Times

Letters to the Editor
E-mail comments to magazine@latimes.com. Or mail them to Los Angeles Times Magazine, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, 90012. Or fax us at (213) 237-7386. All correspondence must include the letter writer's city of residence for publication, plus a daytime phone number and address, which will not be published. Letters may be edited for length and clarity.

Guidelines for Submissions
The Los Angeles Times Magazine publishes all kinds of nonfiction stories: narratives, profiles, memoirs, essays and style pieces. The best approach submitting a story is to write a short query letter outlining the proposed piece, including a resume or description of the writer's experience. E-mail that to magazine@latimes.com. You may also send query letters to Los Angeles Times Magazine, 202 W. 1st St., Los Angeles, 90012. We will make every attempt to respond. Manuscripts and photographs will be handled with care, but the magazine assumes no responsibility. Unsolicited material will not be returned unless accompanied by return postage and envelope.

New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/content/help/contact/directory.html

Twitter
Contact us on Twitter @nytsupport with your product and service questions.

New York Post

http://nypost.com/contact/

Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-breaking-news-tips-and-ideas-htmlstory.html

English (British) News

The Sun - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/article296174.ece

The Daily Mail - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-1227210/Contact-Us.html

METRO - http://metro.co.uk/2006/02/06/contact-us-634245/

The Daily Mirror - http://www.mirror.co.uk/contact-us/

The Guardian/The Observer - http://www.theguardian.com/help/contact-us

Funmeister

The 2015 Shareholder's meeting is going to be a doozy.

As much as we would like to think...probably not. They will fill the Q&A (as they always do) with Disneyphiles wanting to know about if is possible Boba Fett survived the sarlac pit or if they will please consider bringing back the attractions from the '64 World's Fair. If you ever get a chance to go or listen to the broadcast please do. It is more painful than entertaining.

RivieraJenn

[QUOTE="WDW1974, post: 6566948, member: 54925" I remember needing small gifts (part of the culture) for our team of volunteers during the Beijing Games in 2008 and after buying out all the flamingo and palm tree and gator magnets I could find (naturally, a day before) I ran into the local Disney outlet where they had a set of Toy Story magnets marked down to 99 cents (SCORE!!!). I spent another $31 and cleared them out. When I gave them to our kids, I'd venture to say that maybe 20% had an idea who the characters were (and these were college age, fluent English speakers who had studied western culture in Beijing). Again, Bob can crow all he wants about market penetration and all he is doing is lying. [/QUOTE]

This is my experience as well. I recently chaperoned a group of Chinese university students on a trip to WDW for a YES College program. This was one week out of a total of four they spent in the U.S. on a short-term English program--they're a fairly affluent group and are contemplating further study in the U.S. During the YES program, the facilitator asked them to shout out names of Disney movies they knew. They couldn't name a single one. Not one. The poor facilitator started rattling off names. The students thought maybe a couple sounded familiar. Now, they had a great time at the parks. But they weren't invested in (or even really familiar with) most of the IPs. Of course this is all anecdotal, but it is yet another example of the larger point.

the.dreamfinder

But he still wants to be on the cover of The Advocate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom