A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would like to interject here and kind of go back to a favorite topic in these Spirited threads. Once long ago Mr. Spirit had as a tag line that "Spirited change was coming" Sadly I don't see such a change. With the announcement of Chapek as head of P&R we see more of the same ( I know there is already a thread about this.....but it absolutely is relative to this discussion....more so then the Oscars). They are rearranging the deck chairs with more of the same. Setting it up for Mr. Bobs successor. Most of the top jobs are being filled with "company" people. The same ones that gave us....Disney Parks.....NFL.....A year of a million cuts. But we are supposed to be optimistic....give them a chance they say. I say we have seen this show before....

yep The triumphant return of a Paul Pressler clone.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well the backing of Disney and a decidedly less family friendly entertainment industry if you get what I mean.

Plus Blu-Ray players have revocable decrypt codes so if a Studio decides they want to make all their blu-Ray content unplayable they can, No blu Ray players in my house

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nop
Wouldn't screwing you over like that involve your player having an internet connection? Because in that case, just don't bother connecting it.

Nope just putting in a blu Ray disk does it as on play it checks and updates decryption codes. The Internet is just icing on the cake

Mike C

Comcast had their earnings call today, story here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/24/comcast-2014-q4-earnings/23906839/

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-king-kong-universal-20150224-story.html

and

http://www.cmcsa.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=897872

In short, for the Universal parks, revenue was up 29.9% in the 4th quarter, mostly from Orlando. 17.3% for the entire year. Per capita spending went up 5.3% after Diagon alley. Park to park tickets are now are more popular than single park tickets.

The new Kong ride was mentioned (by name) for Islands of Adventure on the earnings call. Cap expenditure has gone up for the parks, and cash flow went up around 18% for the year and 37.6% for the 4th quarter.

For the fourth quarter of 2014, revenue from the Theme Parks segment increased 29.9% to $735 million compared to $566 million in the fourth quarter of 2013, reflecting higher guest attendance and per capita spending, driven by the continued success of Orlando's The Wizarding World of Harry Potter- Diagon Alley™, as well as Halloween Horror Nights at the Orlando and Hollywood parks. Fourth quarter operating cash flow increased 37.6% to $352 million compared to $257 million in the same period last year, reflecting higher revenue, partially offset by an increase in operating costs to support the new attractions.

For the year ended December 31, 2014, revenue from the Theme Parks segment increased 17.3% to $2.6 billion compared to $2.2 billion in 2013. Operating cash flow increased 16.4% to $1.2 billion compared to $1.0 billion in 2013, driven by The Wizarding World of Harry Potter- Diagon Alley™ and Despicable Me attractions.

Additionally from digging around, Cabana Bay was a huge hit, and weekends have been packed at it, and the rest of the week isn't doing too bad.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wouldn't screwing you over like that involve your player having an internet connection? Because in that case, just don't bother connecting it.

Nope Just inserting the blu Ray disc initiates a check and key update process, so just buying new content is sufficient to screw you over, it's why I don't have Blu Ray I don't want content that can vanish on a whim

Mike S

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/24/comcast-2014-q4-earnings/23906839/

and

In short, for the Universal parks, revenue was up 29.9% in the 4th quarter, mostly from Orlando. 17.3% for the entire year. Per capita spending went up 5.3% after Diagon alley. Park to park tickets are now are more popular than single park tickets.

The new Kong ride was mentioned (by name) for Islands of Adventure on the earnings call. Cap expenditure has gone up for the parks, and cash flow went up around 18%.
My reaction from the Kongstruction thread in the UOR section: FINALLY!!!! We all knew what it was, it's about time it was confirmed officially :D

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

and

The new Kong ride was mentioned (by name) for Islands of Adventure on the earnings call. Cap expenditure has gone up for the parks, and cash flow went up around 18%.

One company invests in attractions and reaps huge increases in profit and cash flow, One company invests billions in an attraction rationing and load leveling system and manages to eke out a couple percent gain...

alphac2005

Nop

Nope just putting in a blu Ray disk does it as on play it checks and updates decryption codes. The Internet is just icing on the cake

Let us be rational about decryption AACS with Blu-ray, it's been done to prevent illegal copying of discs. It's rather far fetched to think that they'll just decide to make your title worthless for some sinister purpose. There is no higher quality media than a Blu-ray and I'm glad to power my home theater with them especially for a .00000001% chance that some corporation will decide to revoke my right to the media that I purchased. I really enjoy your posts, but I think this is very, very far fetched. I feel like we're making nearly everything into a conspiracy in society today.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Let us be rational about decryption AACS with Blu-ray, it's been done to prevent illegal copying of discs. It's rather far fetched to think that they'll just decide to make your title worthless for some sinister purpose. There is no higher quality media than a Blu-ray and I'm glad to power my home theater with them especially for a .00000001% chance that some corporation will decide to revoke my right to the media that I purchased. I really enjoy your posts, but I think this is very, very far fetched. I feel like we're making nearly everything into a conspiracy in society today.

I spend a lot of time dealing with the social aspects of technology, Like you I think it would be a very shortsighted move to invalidate content and extremely unlikely as you say, That being said the ABILITY exists in every blu Ray player and in the licensing verbiage on every blu Ray disk gives the IP holder to revoke your ability to access the content.

I don't choose to support this kind of licensing. Piracy is just a beard in this case, I'm sure someone sooner or later will use the kill switch for 'business' reasons. Just like Amazon has made books and movies vanish from Kindle and Amazon Video for reasons having nothing to do with piracy

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I spend a lot of time dealing with the social aspects of technology, Like you I think it would be a very shortsighted move to invalidate content and extremely unlikely as you say, That being said the ABILITY exists in every blu Ray player and in the licensing verbiage on every blu Ray disk gives the IP holder to revoke your ability to access the content.

I don't choose to support this kind of licensing. Piracy is just a beard in this case, I'm sure someone sooner or later will use the kill switch for 'business' reasons. Just like Amazon has made books and movies vanish from Kindle and Amazon Video for reasons having nothing to do with piracy
There's no way any of this would hold up in court and it would be a class action lawsuit for the ages. Consumers do not purchase a physical disk when they buy a Bluray, they purchase the physical disk and the rights to access the content therein. No amount of fine print invalidates that understanding between consumer and distributor.

Eric1955

It's a mall world after all, it's a mall world after all...

It’s a world of shoppers, a world of cashiers
It’s a world with no benches to rest your rears
There are stores everywhere
So it’s time to beware
It’s a mall world after all

It’s a mall, mall world

There are thousands of stores. Hey, now isn’t that fun
and we overcharge so you’ll spend a ton
We sell cheap junk with pride
Why would you want a ride

It’s a mall, mall world

Last edited:

justavoice

One company invests in attractions and reaps huge increases in profit and cash flow, One company invests billions in an attraction rationing and load leveling system and manages to eke out a couple percent gain...

But Disney has China. Never mind those magic bands investments nor that HP park attraction WDW has all of CHINA. Sounds good to investors but as time approaches for delivery will it be the game changer or another moderate success? If moderate success what can we buy to mask it? Star Trek, TCM, DC nah we will announce that we have sold MM to a group of Latin American Meat Packing Glitterati who have a weatherman for a boss.

alphac2005

You're dead-on correct. I'm just not shortchanging my home theater watching by not having Blu-rays, even though I agree that having a kill switch is absurd. :) It's not only Amazon with content, Apple has had issues, too, and I'm way more suspect on the digital rights area than hard copy media. I still like to buy CD's (although I've been buying digital content for years), but it's because I want higher end, non-compressed audio, but also know that in the off-chance of something going wrong, I have a hard copy. For me when it comes to digital media, it's akin to your feeling regarding Blu-rays and it can be disappointing as a consumer, but I'm not really concerned that my paid media will be deleted by said companies.

Last edited:

Rodan75

There's no way any of this would hold up in court and it would be a class action lawsuit for the ages. Consumers do not purchase a physical disk when they buy a Bluray, they purchase the physical disk and the rights to access the content therein. No amount of fine print invalidates that understanding between consumer and distributor.

And not all Blu-Ray players connect to the internet.

The whole world isn't doom and gloom. TWDC isn't all doom and gloom. I'm passionate about this too, but dang everyone needs to take a second and breathe.

@WDW1974 folks take a 'wait and see' approach because that is a rational methodology with dealing with change. It is not rational to freak out because an executive has a similar background to another previous, long fired executive.

And yes if you have worked in Fortune 500 companies long enough, you know damn good and well that executives can be successful in radically changing their roles. These tour of duty swaps are an essential practice in most businesses and no they are not always successful, but they do provide needed insight into the business and they always take time for adjustment. It is just as important as hiring from outside the company for fresh thoughts.

alphac2005

And not all Blu-Ray players connect to the internet.

The whole world isn't doom and gloom. TWDC isn't all doom and gloom. I'm passionate about this too, but dang everyone needs to take a second and breathe.

@WDW1974 folks take a 'wait and see' approach because that is a rational methodology with dealing with change. It is not rational to freak out because an executive has a similar background to another previous, long fired executive.

And yes if you have worked in Fortune 500 companies long enough, you know **** good and well that executives can be successful in radically changing their roles. These tour of duty swaps are an essential practice in most businesses and no they are not always successful, but they do provide needed insight into the business and they always take time for adjustment. It is just as important as hiring from outside the company for fresh thoughts.

Lets go on the off-chance that the new head of the parks surprises and sees many of the ills that have been discussed here. What can't be reversed in this Wall St. environment is the lowering of prices and most likely not even the trajectory of the price increases and that's what disappoints me the most. I simply can't justify taking my family down to WDW for 5 days, staying at a moderate resort, and paying 4k or so for ticket media and the hotel room let alone the food and merchandise. Prices have gotten completely out of hand and I know that they'll never go down, even if the rate of growth slows. It pretty much takes me out of the game. I'll take that money and spend it on flights to Europe for a week. It's a true shame what they've done to the product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom