A Spirited Perfect Ten

Lee

Adventurer
I am curious about the $800m. A payoff to someone or some government (China)? $800m is a nice budget for a theme park much less theme park "additions." Something smells funny that all the chlorine in the reservoir behind Splash Mountain cannot mask!
Yep. That's puzzling/worrying to me, too.
Looking at the attraction menu...I don't see any $800mil in added capacity/attractions.
My eyebrow...raised.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree. It seems to me that if this story has legs, it will resurface in the press. Also, let's see if the author blogs about the topic in another venue. If I was the author I would be seeking some clarification about why the articles were spiked in order to vindicate my reputation. I also wonder if the HuffPost was fooled by an imposter.

The writer wasn't an imposter. That was never in question. And the HuffPo appeared quite content with his content until Willow Bay and her husband had a problem.

And I'd be truly shocked if the writer didn't know exactly what went down and why, but anything's possible.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know about you guys, but I want to see Bob and Willow's correspondence on the takedown.

You actually think there would be a paper trail? Today? There wouldn't even be a text trail. Just likely a phone call or two. Nothing that can ever be used in a court room. Unless you were being sarcastic ... it's been a long, frigid Florida day and I may be missing something (other than dessert!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess that might be my point, though, in that if it's such a large difference in price, imagine how large the attendance in Brazil could be if a larger percentage of Brazilians/South Americans could now afford to go on a Disney vacation. In the short term, the impact might hurt margins on WDW, but overall gross profit would go up with the added park.

No Disney park coming to South America. Just China ... and HK China ... and maybe someday long away ... Anaheim. Oh, and I almost forgot Tokyo!

the.dreamfinder

You actually think there would be a paper trail? Today? There wouldn't even be a text trail. Just likely a phone call or two. Nothing that can ever be used in a court room. Unless you were being sarcastic ... it's been a long, frigid Florida day and I may be missing something (other than dessert!)
I want to hear Bob beg Willow to destroy her career!
:)

Phil12

The writer wasn't an imposter. That was never in question. And the HuffPo appeared quite content with his content until Willow Bay and her husband had a problem.

And I'd be truly shocked if the writer didn't know exactly what went down and why, but anything's possible.
I'm still looking for an attributable source.

PhotoDave219

I'm sorry, but I must have missed the part of history where anyone ever thought Ryan Reynolds was ever a big star or expected to be a breakout actor. I can't even think of anything he was the lead for that was a big hit. Doesn't remind me of Pratt at all.

He's Deadpool.

He's the merc with a mouth.

Granted, I just sold my comics of his run but He really is deadpool. Its gonna be great.

MarkTwain

not related to coronado springs.. right?

View attachment 83859

Not completely unrelated. :) The city of Coronado which the Hotel del Coronado is in/named after, and the Mexican-themed resort at WDW, are both named after a conquistador who explored Mexico and the southwestern US.

Wikipedia - Francisco Vázquez de Coronado

But the similarities end there.

That said, out of all the names associated with Mexico, I can't help wondering if Disney deliberately sought out a name with an existing connection to WDW.

Lee

Adventurer
When did they say the money was to expand the roster? Verse simple overage?
Variety:
The additional $800 million will be used primarily for new attractions, entertainment and other offerings to increase capacity at the theme park, which is scheduled to open in December 2015.
South China Post:
The Shanghai Disney amusement park, slated to open next year, has received a fresh injection of investment after its two partners decided to add attractions to the resort amid a bullish estimate of tourist arrivals.
Bidnessetc:
Disney Company (DIS) is betting big on its prospects in mainland China, after it announced today that it would spend an additional $800 million to expand capacity and increase the number of attractions at its upcoming Shanghai Disney Resort.
Etc...

ParentsOf4

A few more logs to throw onto the fire ...

In the most recent quarter, Disney reports the following concerning attendance at their international theme parks:

"Higher volumes were due to an increase in attendance at Disneyland Paris, partially offset by lower attendance at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort." [emphasis added]​

And also:

"Segment operating income increased 20%, or $134 million, to $805 million due to growth at our domestic operations and Disneyland Paris, partially offset by higher pre-opening costs at Shanghai Disney Resort, the impact of a weaker Japanese yen on our royalties from Tokyo Disney Resort and higher costs at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort." [emphasis added]​

In the most recent quarter, Disney reports a 7% increase in domestic theme park attendance.

In the most recent quarter, Euro Disney reports a 9% increase in theme park attendance at Disneyland Paris.

Yet Hong Kong costs are up even as attendance is down.

Of course, Disney's 'business partner' in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong government, which increasingly is being controlled by the Chinese government. :eek:

The same government Disney is working with in Shanghai. :eek:

There were no questions during the earnings call regarding Hong Kong Disneyland, but this interesting one regarding Shanghai Disneyland:

"And the second question is: in this ramp-up to Shanghai, can you give us some more color or detail on the financial impact in fiscal 2015 as you spend into the opening of 2016?"​

Answer from CFO Jay Rasulo:

"Tying in your second question about Shanghai preopening costs -- I'm not going to go into the details of what that will be in fiscal 2015, but following on what Bob just said about MyMagic+ becoming accretive this quarter, I will tell you that the increase in contribution from MyMagic+ this year will outweigh the preopening spending on Shanghai Disneyland in our total numbers for fiscal 2015. So that might give you some sense at least that Shanghai will not be a drag on our earnings in fiscal 2015."​

Wow, so MyMagic+ is going to save the day!

Mr. Iger, can you share that data with us?

"We did see in the quarter a positive impact to the bottom line from MyMagic+, just the beginnings of it. We will continue to see more of that. But we do not have data that we can share with you right now about specific guest spending." [emphasis added]​

Wow, so you mean 2 years after you introduced it to investors during the 1st quarter of 2013's earnings call, MyMagic+ has actually stopped losing money.

You know Mr. Iger, I've been reading your 10Q's and know that the improvement is "due to the absence of development costs for MyMagic+". Glad to know the system is 100% deployed so you can cut R&D, and that there are no recent reports of the system experiencing major technical problems. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, did I read something about "FastPass+ Chaos at MK today" just earlier this week? :banghead:

Still though, the numbers you report confuse me Mr. Iger.

International Parks & Resorts capital expenditure for just the quarter is up $462M compared to 2 years ago ($176M vs. $638M), yet you're telling me that the money being spent in Shanghai will be offset by MyMagic+ gains in Orlando?

Wow though, combined revenue at both WDW and DLR is up only $311M for the quarter, driven by 7% attendance gains, gains similar to what's being seen at theme parks that don't have MyMagic+.

Meanwhile, you reported that Per Capita Guest Spending (PCGS) at the domestic theme parks is up only 4% for the quarter, the lowest increase since the 1st quarter of 2010!

I don't understand.

Attendance gains are being seen at many theme parks that don't have MyMagic+, while domestic PCGS growth is actually below normal, yet somehow MyMagic+ is offseting the cost of Shanghai?

It's so confusing! :confused:

Too bad you "do not have data that we can share with you right now". :rolleyes:

Changing my tone and getting serious once more ...

Business people (and governments) in China don't play by the same rules as North America, Western Europe, and Japan.

With billions being spent in Shanghai, maybe the deleted Huffington Post opinion piece struck a little too close to concerns about the wisdom of investing in the difficult Chinese market.

Frankly, I don't care what happens in China except how it results in lower investment in Orlando. (7.4% of domestic P&R revenue during the 1st quarter for those of you who remember my earlier post on this subject, actually below Six Flags' 9%.)

And I wouldn't have taken the time to write this if someone hadn't misused their power and influence in order to delete a minor opinion piece in a second-rate journalism outlet. :mad:

Last edited:

justavoice

Just spitballing here but could the $800 million be part of Iger realizing his problem with an expensive product that no one knows about? He is now trying to open up some new doors for media/Disney Channel programing? This $800 million would build some brand knowledge but hidden from investors so not to reveal that Iger is not as adept with media and social media as perceived by WS? Sumner wants to protect his Chinese media rights, and he sees opportunity to tweak a fellow competitor? You can not go head to head in China but do it in the US where investors have a different opinion and ethics? Just wondering but I feel that China is the target but war being fought elsewhere.

BrerJon

And most can't afford the park or won't have an interest ...

Europe has a population of 742 million. Last year attendance at DLRP was around 15M, around 2% of the population.

China has 1.4 billion people. If we take DLP's figure of 2%, that would give 27.1M visitors, actually a tad above TWDC's estimation of 25M visitors in year one.

However, whereas the majority of people in Europe live a roughly comparable to a middle class existence and have at least some disposable income for vacations, despite recent gains the majority of people in China do not and many live in deep poverty by our standards. You only have to trek through the hutongs or go out into the countryside, away from the glamour trail westerners normally are shown to see that.

Then on the branding side, Disney movies and characters are well loved in Europe and have been for generations, and the resort has been open for over 20 years for word of mouth to spread. Plus many in Europe have visited the American parks so are predisposed to like them, so the conditions are fairly optimum. None of this applies in China.

And yet TWDC still thinks Shanghai Disney will get 10M more visitors than DLP in its first year? The *only* way I can see this happening is if they basically give free entry for the first year for locals, and other promotions to cook the books, but I don't see any way they can make those numbers organically.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom