A Spirited Perfect Ten

Lee

Adventurer
I, for one, don't think that Iger had to reach out, through his wife, to get the hit piece pulled. There isn't a media outlet anywhere that would knowingly let a hit peice on a board member stand (unless placed there by a better connected board member). Bob didn't lift a finger to have this pulled, it was toast soon after Bay or Huffington saw it.
Respectfully...that is incorrect. Bay had it pulled. For Bob.
And I certainly didn't see it as a hit piece. It was a well reasoned opinion piece on how Disney is handling it's move into China. Nothing "hit" about it.

Also, I see that Willow took some big shots from Huff on a tour of the Annenberg school last month. She's the top dog there now, was a top dog at Huff.

I wonder what Annenberg folks would think about their head getting a piece pulled just because her husband didn't like how it painted him and his business moves. Ethics?

Here's an idea. What if everyone here who is on Twitter tweeted Annenberg school and asked why their boss is censoring articles that are negative toward her husband? Somebody think of a hashtag...maybe we could get it trending.

Oh, and here's another idea....#wheredidthat$800milliongoBob?

Disneyhead'71

And I certainly didn't see it as a hit piece. It was a well reasoned opinion piece on how Disney is handling it's move into China. Nothing "hit" about it.

Also, I see that Willow took some big shots from Huff on a tour of the Annenberg school last month. She's the top dog there now, was a top dog at Huff.

I wonder what Annenberg folks would think about their head getting a piece pulled just because her husband didn't like how it painted him and his business moves. Ethics?

Here's an idea. What if everyone here who is on Twitter tweeted Annenberg school and asked why their boss is censoring articles that are negative toward her husband? Somebody think of a hashtag...maybe we could get it trending.

Hand me that gasoline, this fire looks a little peaked.

FrankLapidus

If these reports are true, this is the closest Steven Speilberg has gotten to directing a movie for Disney. Think about that.
http://deadline.com/2015/02/steven-spielberg-direct-chris-pratt-indiana-jones-reboot-1201378113/

I have such mixed feelings about this; I love Indy, I love Spielberg and, if I'm being very grudgingly honest, Chris Pratt is one of the very few actors who I think could carry such an iconic role off and make it his own.

But I just can't imagine anyone other than Harrison Ford donning the fedora. I want the film, I just don't really want to contemplate anyone else in that role. But Pratt would be my choice to take up the mantle, I'm not a Marvel fan by any means but I thought he was great in GotG and his star will go into the stratosphere if Jurassic World is a success.

Cesar R M

I still honestly think SDL is going to be a success. Brand awareness or no brand awareness, the Chinese are eager for theme parks in general, unlike the Parisian's. HKDL stumbled out of the gate due its small size (it still may be smaller than SDL or at least very, very similar).

SDL is set to have more opening day offerings than Tokyo Disney Sea did...

If all else fails... they can always shove people through the gates as a matter of national pride...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/world/asia/03shanghai.html?pagewanted=all

I guess we will know one way or another soon enough.
the part about the torch bearer is even more funny!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A guy named Thomas Edison wired The Hotel Del and it was the first resort on the Pacific with electric lights. It was the definition of American Chic. Frank L. Baum wrote many of the Oz books under the glow of those lights and the hotel was inspiration for his discription of The Emerald City.

Yes, times have changed, the look has not. And I can assure you, The Hotel Del is very much a 4 star resort.

http://hoteldel.com

Yes it is I've stayed there a few times the amenities and service are AMAZING.

Cesar R M

I have such mixed feelings about this; I love Indy, I love Spielberg and, if I'm being very grudgingly honest, Chris Pratt is one of the very few actors who I think could carry such an iconic role off and make it his own.

But I just can't imagine anyone other than Harrison Ford donning the fedora. I want the film, I just don't really want to contemplate anyone else in that role. But Pratt would be my choice to take up the mantle, I'm not a Marvel fan by any means but I thought he was great in GotG and his star will go into the stratosphere if Jurassic World is a success.
I only hope they dont burn Christ Pratt.

A few years ago, there was another guy who was getting similar attention. It was RYAN REYNOLDS.

then he started to do the "Nicholas Cage" (aka accept everyjob regardless of how awful the movie was)
because Reynolds was EVERYWHERE.
from voicework to live action, to ghost movies.
and a god awful deadpool portray.

Now, he's pretty quiet now.

FrankLapidus

I only hope they dont burn Christ Pratt.

A few years ago, there was another guy who was getting similar attention. It was RYAN REYNOLDS.

then he started to do the "Nicholas Cage" (aka accept everyjob regardless of how awful the movie was)
because Reynolds was EVERYWHERE.
from voicework to live action, to ghost movies.
and a god awful deadpool portray.

Now, he's pretty quiet now.

True, if he does get the Indy part then he would be the face of three major franchises.

One thing he does have going for him is his likability; he has the everyman quality that Ford and the character of Indiana Jones have. There is the risk that he eventually burns himself out and people end up sick at the sight of him but at the moment he's riding the crest of a wave and if he can do justice to the role of Indy (should he get the part) then maybe he'll make the part, and the franchise, his own before that wave crashes. If it ever does.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some Spirited Thoughts on Censorship, China and Bob Iger:

After some interesting conversations today, I think I have a better gauge as to what may have happened and Bob/Willow/Disney's motivations.

First, allow me to explain why this topic fires me up (if you'll indulge me and I know you will). I've had many different hats in media over the last quarter of a century. One that I wore with pride was journalist. When I saw what the industry was becoming in the USA, I got out. The fact is that individuals and corporations are able to and regularly influence what you read and see -- and what you don't. Democracy dies without a free press. And please recall that the NYT and the Washington Post, two of our 'alleged' bastions of fine journalism remaining only covered the NSA/Edward Snowden story reluctantly after the Guardian broke it. Arguably the biggest story in US media since Y2K.

If you can't get your top watchdogs after massive government overstepping the Constitution and people's basic rights and freedoms, then why would you ever not expect TWDC (or any company) to use every weapon in its considerable arsenal (and Willow, a former CNN reporter would be one) to censor opinions that could be deemed very dangerous to its business interests in China. Business interests, which ultimately not only enrich Bob Iger, but his wife who ... is Willow Bay. Very simple here, folks.

To the column itself. I've heard people call it a 'hit piece' on Iger and I'm sorry but I just don't see that at all. Referring to him as ''vanilla on toothpaste'' is the only remote 'shot' I can find and it's a pretty weak one. Again, this was an Op-Ed. A column. The purpose of those is to place (hopefully) reasoned opinions about a subject or subjects out to the masses. That was what was done. If this guy thinks that Bob is struggling in China, which many of us here know to be accurate, that is his right to write. He is an expert on western media and culture in China. He is writing what he knows. I don't see how it's a hit piece.

Now, I do see where Disney is concerned because they are failing miserably over there and have been since they started dredging Penny's Bay into what is now HKDL. Shanghai is a mess on such a massive scope. And, worse, Disney can fake having control of it over here. THR and Variety aren't sending reporters to the Pudong site. Bob can blather all he wants. Well, over here he can ... so long as his Shendi/Communist overlords OK it.

I don't know how many times I've written here about the lack of ONE PHOTO of Bob or Tom Staggs or Jay Rasulo or Philippe Gas etc on the SDL site. There hasn't been one officially released since construction began in 2011. Just think about that. Why is that? Maybe if I bury it here, no one worries (except Dr. Blondie and whomever else is charged with watching over me here). But if a respected media voice who is an expert on China were to state that there are no pics because Shendi won't allow it, how do you think that would play on Wall Street? Or in Burbank? Or hell, on Main Street? Because this park may be viewed as beach head for the Disney BRAND in China by TWDC's publicity machine, but in China the park is viewed as just another massive construction project that is 'China's Disney'. If you haven't lived or worked there, then you probably don't understand that things are just different there.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but there is that massive anti-graft campaign going on now (that was referenced in all of one sentence of the missing, yet all over, HuffPo column). And there is at least an $800 million question mark that Disney/Iger refuses to answer.

What if his recently anointed No. 2, Tom Staggs, has been ... let's just say participating in how you get business done over there? That's the kind of scandal fodder that could easily cost a company billions and send a charmed CEO like Bob Iger to the curb well before his contract expires. Hypothetically, of course.

Anyway, back to the column, you may have noticed that the HuffPo took down its quite libelous statement regarding the writer early today. That I am told is a direct result of a Redstone representative ordering them to do so. A statement, btw, that in my estimation could have only come from Willow herself thru the designated fallguy because THAT was an obvious hit job. A don't read what that writer wrote because he's just big poopyhead. It obviously hasn't worked.

To folks who have questioned why the column was placed, I don't know. I'd reckon and I did, before my source confirmed it, that he explicitly placed his familial connections in his bio, which he was under no obligation to do, so that people would understand his role in media. No one could say there was a hidden agenda when it's right there at the bottom of his columns.

As to what his motivations may be, what the Redstone's motivations might be ... well, that's interesting as well. I'd love to know. But I'd rather see Willow Bay lose her job first. Oh, and I'd also like to see her husband forced to account for every penny of that $800 million that was supposed to go to SDL for added attractions. Why? Because that's the stuff that they so desperately don't want people asking about.

RSoxNo1

Courtesy of @klstorey on twitter... #WandaGroup, so how about #WillowGroup

WDW1974

Original Poster
My high school alma mater (way up here in Maine), now has over 150 international students, in dorms and home stay programs. Over half are from China. My daughter has two 16 year old girls, one from Thailand, the other from China (Dalian-across the East China Sea from Beijing) living with her in home-stay. While the girl from Bangkok knows "some" of the Disney characters (she knows Mickey and Minnie, but didn't know they were Disney-and didn't know what Disney actually was), the student from China really didn't know Disney at all-never heard of Mickey or Walt-and only thought she may have heard of Frozen. They both did ask if Hello Kitty was Disney. "Houston, I think we have a problem"

There is a very misguided notion over here about how well known and beloved Disney's characters are. Disney plays this lie up because it's obviously in its best interests to do so. Sure, there is some penetration. But it is tiny relative to the audience.

On a similar subject, anyone think Bob walked into the Dwarfs building today humming Hakuna Matata?

Phil12

A- If that was the case, I suspect they would've announced as much.
B- Spirit has confirmed that Willow had it killed for Bob.
A- The HuffPost said, "This blogger's posts are no longer available on The Huffington Post due to inaccuracies in representations he made regarding his professional affiliations."
B- Spirit has his own motives. I'm looking for an independent and attributable source for verification.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If a theme park needs an established brand ahead of it then themed entertainment really cannot work beyond being a brand experience that rehashes what is already known and established in other, more legitimate media.

You make an interesting point. But I do think you need some media background, some context to pull from when building a themed resort in a market that has never had one (or one of this magnitude). Even Walt set people up for DL with his TV shows as well as some IPs. Who knows? DL may have flopped without Walt's expert salesmanship

In Shanghai, there is just such a dearth of knowledge about Disney. Again, I'd caution to not believe the PR about how cosmopolitan the city and its people are. It's true, but only to a small and limited degree.

It's nice to sit back and think everyone the world over knows Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney, but that is far, far from accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom