A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I went googling for an ECV image that says something. I found one. It's not the snarky snide kind of statement I was looking for. I was looking for a comment about "Americans". I found one. (Feel your first reaction get twisted with realization)

Gary_ECV.jpg

Thats the host of a disney podcast.. How he lost his legs is pretty damn intriguing as well

bhg469

Meh, I was not impresed by the food at Antojitos. To me, it just seemed like chain Tex Mex, lacking authenticity and unique flavors. The drinks were pretty good (as were their prices), but I don't go to restaurants for the alcohol.

You want the best Mexican in the area, you need to hit up Azteca D'Oro.
The flaw in your argument is that you assume people want 100% authentic mexican. Many many people prefer tex mex style food and IMO the places that can master that, produce a much better product than even the most authentic taco stand in Tijuana. Don't think just because its authentic means everyone wants it. Just think about Chinese food... Truly authentic chinese food may be really unappetizing to most of us yet a plate of cashew chicken is pretty darn tasty. I love me some Vietnamese Pho but I don't do tripe or tendons, so that makes it less authentic, doesn't make it less good.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But driving several miles to get to the store doesnt mean Im lazy, its practical

It's a relative concept. Stairs vs elevator? Is it lazy to take the elevator or simply practical because its convenient and there is no negative to doing so? What's the universal threshold on walking stairs vs taking the elevator to avoid being lazy?

Its not hard to take the environmental issues into consideration either. The body language of the person allows for a lot to be learned. If a person gets out of the or scooter and is moving slowly or has their hand on their back or side, or has a person helping them then its probly safe to say that they have an actual issue. You said you have back problems. When you utilize the aid of a wheel chair or scooter and get out of it, do you just start strolling along or do you take precautions and take your time as to not flair up your injury?

Again, you show your prejudice and ignorance of the actual material. How I would move would depend on if I've already crossed the threshold that day/week/etc. I have problems standing in place for extended times. If I wait until I put myself over the edge... I will move stiff, look like I have a pole up my rear, and at the speed of a 80yr old. If I manage it prior, I may only be sore to the point you would never know. But because *I* know how to manage my condition, 99% of the time you'd have no idea because I manage my back so it DOESN'T put me in a wheelchair and so I can walk, stand. For me, management is about controlling what I do, for how long, etc. For some, that might mean avoiding walking miles around a theme park. When they are properly managing their situation, you may not recognize what happens if they don't. When I tell you I can't help carry your 300lb couch.. it's not me being lazy, its me managing my condition.

When I see a very large person park their scooter and just get right out and start walking and taking pictures then its probly just a person being lazy. Yes, Im assuming that. I could be wrong

It's best to just leave it with that last thought. Yes, you could be wrong and shouldn't be so eager to judge people.

Enough of the stroller/ECV tangent from me.. I hope you at least see things from a different view.

PhotoDave219

The synthetic grass Disney is using isn't the same stuff used for athletics. It doesn't have the chipped rubber and it's associated dust particles that are the concern when kids get their faces shoved into the turf during sports.

Well that's good to know. One would hope that Disney would be upfront and transparent about this… unfortunately they are not.

Phil12

Now, IMO, the ones who have a rented wheelchair are the same type of people you see in the grocery store or at walmart who can walk just fine but choose to use the EVC scooter the stores have. They are lazy. I dont wanna hear any excuses about injuries or problems they have. If they had serious problems they would have THEIR OWN wheelchair or EVC by now. Do they rent scooters everyday where they live? Doubt it. They most likely only go to stores that provide free use of an EVC.
Laziness can be very disabling. Addiction to drugs or alcohol can cause severe laziness. A complete lack of motivation can cause WDW guests to avoid looking at the parades, fireworks or attending the Elsa meet and greets.

CaptainAmerica

Well that's good to know. One would hope that Disney would be upfront and transparent about this… unfortunately they are not.
What do you want them to do? Issue a press release that says "Hey just FYI, the artificial surface we're going to be using doesn't cause cancer."

That would cause way more hysteria than it would calm. There's nothing to be upfront and transparent about if what you're doing is totally safe.

Breaking from the Orlando Sentinel: Looking at the new paint at the Boardwalk will not cause blindness.
This just in from WESH2 News: Riding Dumbo at night does not give you ebola.

DisDan

What do you want them to do? Issue a press release that says "Hey just FYI, the artificial surface we're going to be using doesn't cause cancer."

That would cause way more hysteria than it would calm. There's nothing to be upfront and transparent about if what you're doing is totally safe.

Breaking from the Orlando Sentinel: Looking at the new paint at the Boardwalk will not cause blindness.

Wait, I can get Ebola from riding Dumbo during the day?

PhotoDave219

Actually what I would like is for them to actually plant grass. Nobody Will have a cancer concern with grass.

Sides… You know what they say. If you can't say anything nice, hide behind a screen name anonymously.

Clamman73

If given the opportunity to sit in a worn out field bound to be muddy given Florida's weather.. or a clean artificial surface. Give me the latter. No grass will hold up to hundreds of people milling around on it for hours a day 365 days a year. You'd be sodding it every other day. I don't understand the grief over the choice of NOT using grass.

Now, why are people being put in a lawn in the first place -- that's an entirely different discussion.. but the hub wouldn't look like the rose garden of old if 500 people were walking around in it for 3 hours every night.

Absolutely...but I'm curious to see it in person to see the shade of green if it's obviously astro turf or not...these camera shots can make it some other weird saturated color or not balanced look to it.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

If someone on here thought of the cancer aspect, then others will as well. After Dave mentioned it, several other people responded with their knowledge on the subject. That shows people ARE aware of it. Its not inconceivable to think that in this day and age of social media with news traveling so quickly that a small story about it could catch the publics attention and then snowball into a larger awareness. Chances are most likely slim, but if they just planted natural grass it wouldnt be an issue to worry about.

ETA: Like @flynnibus mentioned, why they are letting people on the grass is a separate issue, but I think they should have never started doing it in the first place.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Virtually every building in California has a plaque that says that building has chemicals in it that are known to the State of California to cause cancer. Nobody blinks an eye.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Virtually every building in California has a plaque that says that building has chemicals in it that are know to the State of California to cause cancer. Nobody blinks an eye.
1. These particles DON'T cause cancer, that's the whole point.

2. Something something something cohesive theme something immersive environment something something.

3. California is the worst. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom