A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rasvar

I'm sure this has been posted before but this is just going to be a much better flow.
e549e4cfd762248efb7634228f569855.png

Source: http://www.i4express.com/Seg1Docs/Draft_I4_and_SR_536_IMR_08262014.pdf

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm willing to bet that Disney Springs will see higher attendance than any other similar property in Florida - including the current Downtown Disney and City Walk.

Disney Springs will be a significantly better product that Downtown Disney, and I think most reasonable people will put up with 3 years of construction to get that.
Odds are that most Disney guests that did not travel during that three years would even know DTD is under construction. They will simply come back to a much improved DTD.

We just made the educated decision to avoid that area until the construction us over.

It doesn't seem rational to get angry and vengeful over construction meant to upgrade an area.
We have done the same. We have been a grand total of twice since construction started and neither trip was what I would call enjoyable. We have a third trip to DTD coming up in late March and then we are out until the place is finished.

Rasvar

And, they are still selling water in the parks. Any of the parks are well within their rights to ban outside food and beverages.
Plus they do have water fountains too. At least they weren't like Brighthouse Stadium at UCF that decided to ban outside water when they didn't have water fountains installed for September football games. Needless to say, that ban was not well received.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What if wdwmagic were going through a server problems that hindered everyone's ability to use the site readily and without a lot of frustration... and it went on for years. Do you honestly believe it wouldn't hurt both near term and long term customer interactions? Customers are fickle... not logical.
I think it's more like a sports analogy. When a local team goes through a really bad time and plays in an old ball park people get disgruntled and don't show up for home games anymore. Being from Philly this is a real life example. When you build the new ballpark people come back. They are curious to see the new ballpark and it becomes a trendy thing to do. If the team is then good on top of getting the new field the crowds will stay even when the newness of the ballpark wears off. See Citizens Bank Park from opening until about 2011. If the team goes downhill the crowds will lessen. Current state of Citizens Bank Park in Philly.

There may be a small group of angry locals that refuse to go back ever, but the majority will at least want to see what the new DS is all about. Whether the local crowds continue to come back will all depend on whether the venues (particularly the nightlife) will hold their interest. If not DS on a Tuseday night in May will be as empty as Citizens Bank Park on a Tuesday night in May(as long as it's not dollar dog night;)).[/QUOTE]

spacemt354

Chili's
What if wdwmagic were going through a server problems that hindered everyone's ability to use the site readily and without a lot of frustration... and it went on for years. Do you honestly believe it wouldn't hurt both near term and long term customer interactions? Customers are fickle... not logical.
An apples to oranges example to me.

Server problems in lieu of any new updates are not the same as traffic issues due to the construction of an updated environment.

One has a good intention that inadvertently causes problems, the other is simply a problem.

Cesar R M

An apples to oranges example to me.

Server problems in lieu of any new updates are not the same as traffic issues due to the construction of an updated environment.

One has a good intention that inadvertently causes problems, the other is simply a problem.
I think this person should have mentioned MyMagic+ and FastPass+ as comparison ;)

lazyboy97o

PhotoDave219

Plus they do have water fountains too. At least they weren't like Brighthouse Stadium at UCF that decided to ban outside water when they didn't have water fountains installed for September football games. Needless to say, that ban was not well received.

That stadium was built on the cheap.

It's media facilities, especially broadcast & lack of a proper field level workroom, certainly hinder the media attention they crave. I've talked with ESPN producers and they absolutely hated working there. (I sure did)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it's more like a sports analogy. When a local team goes through a really bad time and plays in an old ball park people get disgruntled and don't show up for home games anymore. Being from Philly this is a real life example. When you build the new ballpark people come back

Do they come back at the same strength? What about all the lost business in between those points? Do they just recover... or actually compare that to a situation where you never turned customers off to start with?

And besides, this isn't a sports team that is a passion who also have a monopoly on the sport in the area. This is a SHOPPING CENTER... where there is actual competition and alternatives. Do you really want to goto DTD to get to that one restaurant, or will you instead opt for this other one without all the baggage? You people off, they hold it against you. They won't magically all forgive when the new stuff opens. Especially when Disney is going to do this prolonged drawn out opening thing meaning you lose that punch to tell people 'hey, things are different now'. Instead they will have to slowly fight back against those perceptions built and hope that bad blood people are holding onto fades.

But to the point of the original post - it will cause scars and negative baggage that won't simply disappear... especially if Disney can't slow a clear delineation between 'old' and 'new'. They will have to fight to change the perceptions that have been built up over years.

Rodan75

I'm willing to bet that Disney Springs will see higher attendance than any other similar property in Florida - including the current Downtown Disney and City Walk.

Disney Springs will be a significantly better product that Downtown Disney, and I think most reasonable people will put up with 3 years of construction to get that.

Folks have an exceptionally short memory for inconveniences like this. If they didn't, no one would live in FL after the Hurricanes and no one would live in the north after the last few years of arctic blasts. Most people adapt and move on and quickly forget they were ever inconvenienced at all.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Didn't answer the question... does it not cause harm in the long term? Customers are not going to binary forget their past experiences. Your post infers they can overcome that in total numbers, but should Disney strive to be McDonalds or In n Out? McDonalds wins the volume race despite reservations people have... while In N Out is happy to deliver success on their terms and have hugely loyal customers in return?

In the specific context Jason mentioned.. he was talking about locals. Will Disney burn their bridges and in turn take far more time and effort to rebuild them?

And when exactly do you think locals will take a new look at DS? When will anyone start preaching 'its done'? That's one of the negatives of the rolling upgrade... the new splash value of something will constantly be held down by other negatives that are still 'temporary'. Too many promises, too many distractions, verse having critical mass with minimal disruptions so people will fully discount the negatives.

The negatives are just too big to push off easily and if they burn you bad (like the traffic story shared..) those memories don't just disappear in an instant unless you REALLY give them something they want badly. Will the new DS be that much more to make all those bad experiences be happily forgotten?

It will be improved certainly - but will it wow people? Will it change so much people will not associate the negatives of DTD with it? I'm not seeing that... and the slow roll upgrade makes it even harder to break those associations.

Where is the 'clean break' to ensure DS isn't stained by that bad blood over DTD?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Folks have an exceptionally short memory for inconveniences like this. If they didn't, no one would live in FL after the Hurricanes and no one would live in the north after the last few years of arctic blasts. Most people adapt and move on and quickly forget they were ever inconvenienced at all.

So that whole it costs more to get a customer back thing is a myth huh?

Rodan75

So that whole it costs more to get a customer back thing is a myth huh?

I think that is a different argument entirely. Folks don't view construction events/road construction in the same way that they would view having a horrible customer service experience that would potentially turn them off of a restaurant or store. The big things sometimes have less of an impact than the little things. I agree with your logic, but most folks just don't even realize how forgiving they are.

bhg469

Odds are that most Disney guests that did not travel during that three years would even know DTD is under construction. They will simply come back to a much improved DTD.

We have done the same. We have been a grand total of twice since construction started and neither trip was what I would call enjoyable. We have a third trip to DTD coming up in late March and then we are out until the place is finished.
I'm going to be in lakeland for work for a few days. I go every year, I hope I can get there with little problem but I am expecting the worst.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do they come back at the same strength? What about all the lost business in between those points? Do they just recover... or actually compare that to a situation where you never turned customers off to start with?

And besides, this isn't a sports team that is a passion who also have a monopoly on the sport in the area. This is a SHOPPING CENTER... where there is actual competition and alternatives. Do you really want to goto DTD to get to that one restaurant, or will you instead opt for this other one without all the baggage? You **** people off, they hold it against you. They won't magically all forgive when the new stuff opens. Especially when Disney is going to do this prolonged drawn out opening thing meaning you lose that punch to tell people 'hey, things are different now'. Instead they will have to slowly fight back against those perceptions built and hope that bad blood people are holding onto fades.

But to the point of the original post - it will cause scars and negative baggage that won't simply disappear... especially if Disney can't slow a clear delineation between 'old' and 'new'. They will have to fight to change the perceptions that have been built up over years.
I think anything to do with Disney makes it a little more than just a mall. Disney fans and especially the haters are just as passionate as sports fans.

If you want to consider it just a mall I have a pretty large mall near me (King of Prussia Mall). They are doing major construction on the mall and building a larger parking garage. It's a mess. I went for dinner the other night and got trapped in the bad trafic flow. I'm definitely avoiding the place until construction is done. Once it's done I'll be glad to go back and have more parking and additional stores.

It seems really strange to me that people would have lasting resentment over just a mall. If they expand a highway and it causes bad traffic backups would people just avoid that road forever even when the construction wraps up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom