A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

Unless you move out of Florida to an area with lousy supermarkets (like Washington, DC). Then Publix suddenly becomes greatest supermarket of all time.

There's another subject that always pops up in Spirited threads: supermarkets.

Ouch. Man, if I still lived in Florida I'd make a point to visit a few times in the near future, both to help them out and in case the worse happens. Would be a real shame to see that park close, especially given all the upgrades that have been taken place.
I know wegmans is in the DC area. You must not live close to one otherwise you would not have such crazy thoughts.. I tend to bring up the supermarket argument because they're the perfect example of a place that goes above and beyond expectations and it pays off huge. From how they lay out their stores to the hot prepared food they offer to how they treat their employees. They are a top notch organization.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sure it's not representative, but Fred Smith graduated from Yale before starting FedEx. He was also Skull and Bones.

You do realize his initial business model was to perform overnight deliveries of parcels and documents to federal customers hence the original name of 'Federal Express', Just think an entire business designed entirely on sucking on the government teat. Sounds about right for a Yalie

Federal Express got into commercial logistics by accident because companies needed to send stuff to Uncle Sugardaddy - So it was an accidental commercial success.

TomP

I don't necessarily take this as SW couldn't "make payroll", i.e. no money to pay ee's, but that a clerical snafu has delayed issuing pay. Given SW's problems, they could be short on cash, but this article is not evidence of that.

ETA: I worked as an accountant at a large company that had the same thing happen...computer glitch with dates that delayed payroll by one day.

asianway

I don't necessarily take this as SW couldn't "make payroll", i.e. no money to pay ee's, but that a clerical snafu has delayed issuing pay. Given SW's problems, they could be short on cash, but this article is not evidence of that.

ETA: I worked as an accountant at a large company that had the same thing happen...computer glitch with dates that delayed payroll by one day.
Define: large

And what was your communication plan once you realized the error?

TP2000

So that seems to be a legit clerical issue, and not that their corporate bank account is too low to write weekly payroll checks.

A quick check here from the West Coast has no news or mention of this same issue for Sea World San Diego employees. Nor is it happening to Busch Gardens employees in Tampa and Virginia, nor their Aquatica water parks in California and Texas, all owned and operated by Sea World Entertainment.

It appears to be a local clerical issue for the Orlando employees only, so not quite as salacious as "can't make payroll".

TomP

Define: large

And what was your communication plan once you realized the error?

I didn't realize there would be a pop quiz. :)

About 25k total employees; only salaried were affected, don't know exact number of them. It was a direct deposit payroll, deposit was there the next a.m. after payday.
I didn't work in payroll, so I made no communication plans and have no idea what they did, but payroll was not late again in the 5 or 6 years I remained there.

hpyhnt 1000

I know wegmans is in the DC area. You must not live close to one otherwise you would not have such crazy thoughts.. I tend to bring up the supermarket argument because they're the perfect example of a place that goes above and beyond expectations and it pays off huge. From how they lay out their stores to the hot prepared food they offer to how they treat their employees. They are a top notch organization.

Unfortunately I do not. While there are at least handful in some of the farther suburbs of the metro area, there is no Wegmans in DC itself. One day I'll get out to one of them buts its hard to justify driving upwards of an hour out of the way for what is still just a grocery store.

PhotoDave219

So that seems to be a legit clerical issue, and not that their corporate bank account is too low to write weekly payroll checks.

A quick check here from the West Coast has no news or mention of this same issue for Sea World San Diego employees. Nor is it happening to Busch Gardens employees in Tampa and Virginia, nor their Aquatica water parks in California and Texas, all owned and operated by Sea World Entertainment.

It appears to be a local clerical issue for the Orlando employees only, so not quite as salacious as "can't make payroll".
I didn't realize there would be a pop quiz. :)

About 25k total employees; only salaried were affected, don't know exact number of them. It was a direct deposit payroll, deposit was there the next a.m. after payday.
I didn't work in payroll, so I made no communication plans and have no idea what they did, but payroll was not late again in the 5 or 6 years I remained there.

Perception is more important.

First… A 25,000 employee company has no business screwing up payroll. None. Heads should roll. They need to be transparent about what happened or it will get worse because Sea World is a target. Someone needs to be publically sacked, because they just screwed up 25,000 people's three-day holiday weekend.

That being said… The public perception is that sea world did not make Payroll. The public perception is they cannot get their stuff together.

I'm interested to see what Wall Street's reaction to this would be. I'm not too sure Wall Street would be easily satisfied with the excuse of "clerical error"

Just more ammo for people who don't like Sea World.

PhotoDave219

15 minutes now. Great wine selection.

TP2000

Perception is more important.

First… A 25,000 employee company has no business screwing up payroll. None. Heads should roll. They need to be transparent about what happened or it will get worse because Sea World is a target. Someone needs to be publically sacked, because they just screwed up 25,000 people's three-day holiday weekend.

It wasn't all 25,000 people who work for Sea World Entertainment at a dozen sites in five states. It was only the salaried people who work at one site in one state; Sea World Orlando. The 4,800 hourly employees at Sea World Orlando, those that have their checks computed via hours worked instead of a flat salary, got their paychecks on time this week.

It was a clerical error at one site that involved a few hundred salaried employees only. I agree that's not a good situation for morale, especially going into a 3 day weekend, and Valentines Day date night at that. But it's a clerical error that impacts a relatively small number of managers in one park. I can't imagine PETA will organize protests with banners reading "FREE THE WHALES, PAY THEIR MANAGERS!" any time soon.

I bet there's been several times in the last 90 years that Disney has screwed up payroll clerically, or missed a deadline and got checks out late, or something for at least a few hundred Disney employees.

It happens. But I think that a clerical error like that should only be forgiven about once per decade. Any more than that and heads should roll.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

It wasn't all 25,000 people who work for Sea World Entertainment at a dozen sites in five states. It was only the salaried people who work at one site in one state; Sea World Orlando. The 4,800 hourly employees at Sea World Orlando, those that have their checks computed via hours worked instead of a flat salary, got their paychecks on time this week.

It was a clerical error at one site that involved a few hundred salaried employees only. I agree that's not a good situation for morale, especially going into a 3 day weekend, and Valentines Day date night at that. But it's a clerical error that impacts a relatively small number of managers in one park. I can't imagine PETA will organize protests with banners reading "FREE THE WHALES, PAY THEIR MANAGERS!" any time soon.

I bet there's been several times in the last 90 years that Disney has screwed up payroll clerically, or missed a deadline and got checks out late, or something for at least a few hundred Disney employees.

It happens. But I think that a clerical error like that should only be forgiven about once per decade. Any more than that and heads should roll.

It's not acceptable.

If I'm the CEO, I'm just as upset as the front line who just got screwed.

bhg469

Well, a couple people in a BuzzFeed video isn't the most exhastive pool of data. ;) But I will agree that of the chain places that have a dollar menu of some kind (so Five Guys doesn't count) Wendy's has the best burger.
I'm partial to checkers But Wendy's can be good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom