A Spirited Perfect Ten

JediMasterMatt

The rumor is they're copying the NEW version of what DCA is getting. Not copying what DCA is replacing. I understand the underground aspect of it but that's the rumor. I don't think doctornick meant to imply they're doing the exact same ride the way it is now.

Good catch. I didn't see the "new" part.

The new version of Luigi's isn't the saucer ride system. It's a form of the trackless ride system. Youtube Aquatopia from Tokyo Disney for a better idea about what the new version of Luigi's is

Correct. It is what will allow the dance to happen. It will be like TDL's Pooh's Heffalump room where things seem random; but, really aren't.

Carsland will have a lot of car dancing after all of this is done (Maters and new Luigi's).

doctornick

The rumor is they're copying the NEW version of what DCA is getting. Not copying what DCA is replacing. I understand the underground aspect of it but that's the rumor. I don't think doctornick meant to imply they're doing the exact same ride the way it is now.

Exactly. The current rumor is that DHS would be getting the new Luigi's ride which is LPS, not the air hockey current ride.

Travel Junkie

Think about it. How else would you do it? I would not want to put on a costume that 50 other Dad's put on before me. The show works for what it is. The animatronics and the magic mirror are cool. It is much better than a standard M&G.

Simply I wouldn’t do it at all. Some of the flack this experience gets centers around a bunch of strangers in cardboard cutouts reenacting some scene. Most people can’t act. Heck many so called professional actors can’t act. It comes off clunky unless you just happen to get into the same room with people from the Groundlings.

Even though it is an elaborate meet and greet it is still a meet and greet. It is nice they went a different direction with it, but it is becoming a disturbing trend to see so many pop up in place of rides. It’s another example of Disney going the cheaper route.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My original point to the poster was there are a lot of ill-informed and stereotypical labels out there and people have grand misconceptions about California

Or more generically.. when most people say/think California.. They think LA/SD/SF and nothing inbetween. Just as if one says Florida, most people think Miami, Orlando, and Retirement communities. Or when people say New Jersey, they think Newark, and not what northern Jersey is like. One can't get too bothered when people lump the places together. More often than not, it's lazy labeling and not guilty by association.

Cali is one of the most diverse states in the nation... but if only it's government were so diverse :)

The fact that the number of cases isn’t dramatically higher shows that most people are vaccinated as measles is incredible contagious.

But that can also be explained by a lack of chance exposure. The virus isn't as common anymore and why the vast majority, even those not vaccinated, function with low risk. The lack of infections is not a definitive sign of resistance, but can be a sign of absence. The problem becomes when exposure goes up. Obviously we know the vast majority of people are vaccinated... and now with awareness up, propagation will go down even if people aren't vaccinated. No one is claiming cali as a whole is anti-vax.. But it doesn't change that are are in fact areas with disproportionate vaccination rates... including higher profile areas that are the identity most people associate the state with :) In short... I think its more about people glossing over Cali's immense scale and diversity more than it is about loud mouths being seen as representative of the collective :)

Last edited:

TP2000

Isn't it amazing that Disneyland announces today on the Parks Blog they are closing a ride in two weeks, and shows WDI concept art of the brand new ride experience to replace the closed ride, and then gives an aggressive reopening timetable of "Early 2016" (one year)!

Talk about the growing chasm between the way they do things in Anaheim versus the way they do things in WDW.... http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...perience-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Meanwhile, in Orlando...
wpid-Photo-201410071520021.jpg

Last edited:

Smiddimizer

Sure, I totally agree, but in Fantasyland? Weren't we as adults then be saying that we want everything just for us and others might just as well leave the kids home with their Grandparents. This conversation is making less and less sense with every added post. (including mine, I'm sure)

Not at all. But Fantasyland was never a Chuck E Cheese in its heyday when everyone could feel comfortable sitting in the same room. Had meet and greets been a bustling industry they would have been relegated to a pitched tent. Framing it in terms of quality instead of demographic makes a lot more sense-do you want something good that appeals to everyone, or something awful that appeals to some?

And by quality here I mean it artistically. Cardboard costumes? ETwB is just plain bad on paper. The technology is impressive but the whole thing is cringeworthy to watch. It's a failed experiment because the audience that would applaud it would have reacted the same way if it was a tenth of its budget.

DisDan

Isn't it amazing that Disneyland announces on the Parks Blog they are closing a ride in two weeks, and shows WDI concept art of the brand new ride experience to replace the closed ride, and then gives an aggressive reopening timetable of "Early 2016" (one year)!

Talk about the growing chasm between the way they do things in Anaheim versus the way they do things in WDW.... http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...perience-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Meanwhile, in Orlando...
wpid-Photo-201410071520021.jpg

ohhhh..Disney Hula Hoops... they just Plussed that attraction!

NormC

Simply I wouldn’t do it at all. Some of the flack this experience gets centers around a bunch of strangers in cardboard cutouts reenacting some scene. Most people can’t act. Heck many so called professional actors can’t act. It comes off clunky unless you just happen to get into the same room with people from the Groundlings.

Even though it is an elaborate meet and greet it is still a meet and greet. It is nice they went a different direction with it, but it is becoming a disturbing trend to see so many pop up in place of rides. It’s another example of Disney going the cheaper route.
Have you done it? There is no acting involved. You stand there and do as you are told while holding a cutout. It is cute fun and I have not heard of any flack. I was a knight the last time I was there.

Travel Junkie

Cali is one of the most diverse states in the nation... but if only it's government were so diverse :)

The current demos are around 43% dems, 30% GOP and 21% decline to state with the rest made up by minor parties. That may surprise some people who think that CA is 90% dems. It goes without saying though that it is a very… what word are we using now. oh yeah progressive state. We still gave you Reagan though. :)

Goofyernmost

Not at all. But Fantasyland was never a Chuck E Cheese in its heyday when everyone could feel comfortable sitting in the same room. Had meet and greets been a bustling industry they would have been relegated to a pitched tent. Framing it in terms of quality instead of demographic makes a lot more sense-do you want something good that appeals to everyone, or something awful that appeals to some?

And by quality here I mean it artistically. Cardboard costumes? ETwB is just plain bad on paper. The technology is impressive but the whole thing is cringeworthy to watch. It's a failed experiment because the audience that would applaud it would have reacted the same way if it was a tenth of its budget.
Seriously, I wanted to avoid this, but, what exactly do you recommend, actual armor to fit every possible participant. And why would it be uncomfortable to watch your children having a good time. Does riding Dumbo make everyone comfortable or the Tea Cups. How about the hours of boredom people experience waiting for and then riding Pooh? Oh, yea and adults just feel really mature riding on the Carousel. In reality by the time we have finished sitting in a slow moving boat looking at almost inanimate dolls spinning around and forced to listen to how small the world is just about all our dignity is shot in the butt anyway.:cautious:

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The current demos are around 43% dems, 30% GOP and 21% decline to state with the rest made up by minor parties. That may surprise some people who think that CA is 90% dems. It goes without saying though that it is a very… what word are we using now. oh yeah progressive state. We still gave you Reagan though. :)

I was lazy in that line and knew it might go over wrong. What I meant was diverse as in the concept of breaking Cali up vs the mega-state it is now. This widely diverse state is ruled monolithic-ally - which seems inefficient given it's wide variations. That's all :)

Kman101

The Disneyland vs. WDW thing is accurate, it really really is, but does it always have to turn into, basically, "my park is better"? I love them both, LOL.

I agree though, they announce Luigi's is closing and immediately reveal what's replacing it. Yet at DHS we get closed attraction after closed attraction and .... *crickets chirping* The difference is staggering.

And the tram is gone from the front. You'd never know an attraction was ever there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Disneyland vs. WDW thing is accurate, it really really is, but does it always have to turn into, basically, "my park is better"? I love them both, LOL.

I agree though, they announce Luigi's is closing and immediately reveal what's replacing it. Yet at DHS we get closed attraction after closed attraction and .... *crickets chirping* The difference is staggering.

And the tram is gone from the front. You'd never know an attraction was ever there.

Well in the 'half full' column.. you could say at least they aren't falsely promising something or it's return. Unlike several famous DL closures :)

I'm not bothered by the Studio Tour shutdown with no replacement. The damn thing had no place being ran at all... killing it IMO makes Disney look better than running the sham that it was. The only aspect of it that bothers me is Disney's lack of a known strategy to reboot the park. If they had a DCA v2 type reveal and said 'this is what we are reimagining the park to be' that included both replacement attractions, expansion, and quality work... I'd be thrilled.. even if it didn't give specific deliverables on the rides. I still fear we can get a piece meal effort instead of a park rescue.

DisneyOutsider

You're trying very hard to discredit this experience. It's actual pretty cool. If you view the rest of the parks through the same lens that you're viewing this attraction, then the entire park must be one continuous eye-roll for you.

ParentsOf4

@ParentsOf4 I read your analysis of Staggs vs Rasulo and I'm not sure how much it showed Staggs was better but rather he was at least serviceable. I wouldn't get excited about the numbers Staggs put up either but I'm sure you personally would want them better as well.
I prefer examining percentages over raw numbers because they adjust for changes within the business itself, including how inflation has affected that specific business.

I also shy away from inflation calculators. At best, inflation calculators are questionable for the types of numbers we're looking at. At worst, they are downright wrong.

Disney doesn't particularly care how much the price of a gallon of milk has increased across the country since 2000. Instead, they care about how much the cost of their labor has increased in central Florida.

$2 billion in profits in 2000 is not the same as $2 billion in 2014. Similarly, $2 billion might be a great number in 2014. In 2028, it probably would be considered a terrible number. Without some adjustment, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

In 2000, Disney's Parks & Resorts generated $1.62 billion in operating income. In 2014, that number was $2.66 billion. "Wow," you say, "that's $1 billion more." Yeah, but over 14 years, that's a compound growth of only 3.6%. Sorry, but 3.6% annual growth for a business like Disney sucks. Financially, P&R was healthier in 2000 than it is in 2014, and this is reflected in my earlier post.

With all my disclaimers in place (;)), the following might sell Staggs' performance better:

P&R Operating Income.jpg

Kman101

Well in the 'half full' column.. you could say at least they aren't falsely promising something or it's return. Unlike several famous DL closures :)

I'm not bothered by the Studio Tour shutdown with no replacement. The **** thing had no place being ran at all... killing it IMO makes Disney look better than running the sham that it was. The only aspect of it that bothers me is Disney's lack of a known strategy to reboot the park. If they had a DCA v2 type reveal and said 'this is what we are reimagining the park to be' that included both replacement attractions, expansion, and quality work... I'd be thrilled.. even if it didn't give specific deliverables on the rides. I still fear we can get a piece meal effort instead of a park rescue.

Very true about promising something and it not delivering.

I'm not bothered by the tour shutdown either, personally. It isn't a loss to me. It was long overdue for a closure and I always figured it's closure would signal the beginning of a revamp for a park that really needs one (and like you said, it's concerning that they seem to lack a strategy on what to do. We keep hearing how things are changing and fluid, etc.)

I'm fearing what you are as well, that most are setting themselves up for a DCA type of announcement (that probably won't be on that level) and I kind of think that while yes, DHS will get new things and probably a new name yet again, I think we're going to end up seeing lots of complaining about the announcement (or lack thereof with one).

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not bothered by the tour shutdown either, personally. It isn't a loss to me. It was long overdue for a closure and I always figured it's closure would signal the beginning of a revamp for a park that really needs one (and like you said, it's concerning that they seem to lack a strategy on what to do. We keep hearing how things are changing and fluid, etc.)

I have no qualms at all in believing the closures as we have them now are purely financial. They weren't about show, but pragmatic moves given what they know the future holds. Just the woeful show that has been removed makes me think 'no loss' :D

It is interesting as you say about what level of announcement will we get. A land? Trickled one by one? A slow painful rolling conversion of the park? Or can we get a DCA v2 program. I just wish they'd close the whole park and get the stuff done quicker. Ok, I'll compromise, let people park-hop in for free and keep TSMM and sunset blvd open. Shutter the rest to shorten the turnaround time. I know it won't happen... but I only wish the company was so bold as they were just 30 years ago (DL 1983 Fantasyland for example, or even the awful TL redo).

Travel Junkie

You're trying very hard to discredit this experience. It's actual pretty cool. If you view the rest of the parks through the same lens that you're viewing this attraction, then the entire park must be one continuous eye-roll for you.

I find one aspect of the experience as being cheap and clunky and IMO doesn’t belong in a park that prides itself on quality and charges a premium for it. If that portion was removed, it would flow much better and look much better.

I find parts of MK to be quite brilliant, other’s to be very good, and a couple to be cheap. Cardboard cutouts are cheap no matter how you spin it. I call it how I see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom