A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
I really wish I could quote Carrie Fisher from the other day.... but it would get deleted.

She's just still bitter she never moved on from the role. The whole body thing is so overplayed... What have we all forgotten how performers change their body appearance for most roles? Add weight, lose weight, get ripped, change hair, blah blah blah. I can't believe she hasn't droned on about not having her dog in the scene. What a kook

Pretty much any headline that reads "xyzzy shuts down Twitter haters with one tweet" are comically bad, and just click bait. I've yet to even see one that is a true burn... The standards have been lowered for wit it seems.

Frankie The Beer

Based on what? The fact that you thought it was subpar? Any actual evidence Iger played any role in Age of Ultron?

Ultron came out the same week Disney released the Star Wars trailer with Han Solo. Any momentum Ultron had was almost forgotten because the Star Wars hype machine had begun and there was no turning back. Now I don't know the specifics but I can't see something like that happening without Iger saying yes, but I do feel, and this is my opinion, that it took away from the Avengers 2 opening because people were all aboard the SW's bandwagon.

AEfx

Pretty much any headline that reads "xyzzy shuts down Twitter haters with one tweet" are comically bad, and just click bait. I've yet to even see one that is a true burn... The standards have been lowered for wit it seems.

But who's the one who keeps pushing the topic?

She replied to a tweet. It's the media that turns a tweet into a story. SHE seems as sick of talking about it as everyone else, if not more so - the point of the tweet was for folks to move on - yet in every single damned interview, in every single story, in every single Mary-Sue tinted mention of her, it's all people ask about. Complaining about her keeping it going is like being that idiot who asks "Why do you keep hitting yourself?" as they are forcibly hitting someone with their own arm.

As to her being bitter from "never moving on from the role" - you clearly don't know a damn about Carrie Fisher, LOL. If you did, you'd know just how absolutely ignorant that statement is. She was ready for the "fame" train to be over before it began, having watched her parents experience it - she's talked quite extensively about it. Yet, when you look at it - she co-starred in a fair number of other films for the next decade and a half after Star Wars (in fact, enough so that at one point in the 90's she was statistically one of the most bankable actresses in Hollywood if you judge by movie grosses), and her writing career is both well-known (her novels and memoirs) and lesser-known but still quite remarkable (the famous script doctoring that folks are really just starting to understand).

Seriously, you couldn't know or understand less about the woman to have made such blatantly ignorant statements.

BlueSkyDriveBy

What have we all forgotten how performers change their body appearance for most roles? Add weight, lose weight, get ripped, change hair, blah blah blah. I can't believe she hasn't droned on about not having her dog in the scene. What a kook
Full disclosure: I'm a Carrie Fisher fan. Loved Postcards from the Edge, both book and film. Loved Wishful Drinking, especially the "Hollywood 101" bit on celebrity inbreeding. :hilarious:

Carrie is intelligent and witty and a gifted writer. And doing the best she effn can with mental illness.

Until you've walked even one-tenth the distance in anybody's shoes with clinical depression/bipolar disease, you have no idea how impossible it is to keep your weight down to a reasonable level while taking certain prescription drugs to treat it.

Several decades ago, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar and put on those gawdawful meds as I was bouncing in and out of the hospital. I was even offered ECT therapy as an option (which Carrie swears got her life back on track) because I couldn't tolerate several of the drugs' side effects. And one of those nasty side effects was a dramatic slowing of my metabolism to the point I couldn't keep my weight down unless I ate no more than 1000 calories a day. Which is very difficult to accomplish when you feel absolutely ravenous 24/7. :in pain:

Cut the woman some slack. She is talented, no doubt about it. BFHD she has a weight problem. Whatever works to keep her out of the hospital and creating more fabulous stories to tell. :angelic:

indyumd

Ultron came out the same week Disney released the Star Wars trailer with Han Solo. Any momentum Ultron had was almost forgotten because the Star Wars hype machine had begun and there was no turning back. Now I don't know the specifics but I can't see something like that happening without Iger saying yes, but I do feel, and this is my opinion, that it took away from the Avengers 2 opening because people were all aboard the SW's bandwagon.

So you are saying that Bob Iger deciding to allow a Star Wars trailer to be released the same week as Ultron caused people to not go see the movie and is evidence that his meddling caused Ultron to be "subpar." Do I have that correct?

NearTheEars

So you are saying that Bob Iger deciding to allow a Star Wars trailer to be released the same week as Ultron caused people to not go see the movie and is evidence that his meddling caused Ultron to be "subpar." Do I have that correct?

Yeah, the running theory over the past two days has been that Iger is purposely sabotaging other Disney films to build up Star Wars. Losing millions in the process.

Seems legit ;)

Last edited:

doctornick

I don't see what the big deal is about Disney fans becoming Star Wars fans. Is it really any different than a trusted friend convincing you to watch a film?

Many folks trust Disney to deliver entertainment to them, and now Disney is producing SW and Marvel content.

Are Disney fans supposed to just ignore it?

No, WDW1974 has a weird blind spot where he thinks there are legions of people who will hype up anything from the Disney company just because it comes from Disney. He's convinced that there are boatloads of such people who where apathetic towards, ignorant of or even disliked stuff like Marvel or Star Wars and then instantly started following/liking/promoting those things simply because it was now Disney in charge of them.

Now, I'm not going to say that no such people exist -- it's a large world and there's certainly some crazy folks, so there probably are a few dozen extreme Disney fanatics who will obsessively like anything the company puts out simply because it is Disney. And these are folks who might have previously hated Marvel or Star Wars.

But again, we are talking about such a ridiculously small number of people out of the million and millions of folks who legitimately love these films that it just seems silly to even mention or dwell on it as anything of consequence. A ton of people liked Star Wars before, a ton like it now, probably more than before -- is any increase in numbers due to some blind loyalty towards Disney or is it due to marketing/hype/cultural awareness/etc? I mean, people like popular things and when something captures the public's consciousness, it's likely to pick up more fans. That's what we are seeing here, not zombie-like praise for something purely because it is made by Disney.

The irony is that you saw a ton more "I'm afraid that Disney will screw up Marvel [or Star Wars]" types comments out there when Disney took over than you saw Disney loyalists instantly flipping to hyping said products. If anything, Disney had to win people over who were skeptical or concerned about their ownership of the IPs. To their credit, they've done that with both their MCU films and now with SW Episode VII

Last edited:

doctornick

Except hes not.
Marvel was steamrolling already.
Id say Iger and Co medling caused age of ultron, which was subpar.

Well, "subpar" is a opinion. Age of Ultron was generally given positive reviews and made a ton of money. I would agree that it wasn't as good as The Avengers which seems to be the consensus (though obviously there are some who would disagree with that even) but that doesn't mean the film wasn't quality in isolation. AoU was a perfectly enjoyable film in its own sake.

Regardless, if you are going to criticize Iger and Company for Age of Ultron -- I'm sure many CEOs would love to have "subpar" films which gross $1.4B -- then you have to praise them for The Avengers. It came out in 2012 under Disney management (they bought Marvel in 2009) and for better or worse revolutionized movie franchises. Not to mention a number of very well regarded Marvel films have been produced under Disney's ownership (Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, etc.). In fact, the MCU movie that was both the greatest critical and commercial "failure" was The Incredible Hulk, made before Disney took over.

Again, I'll say, if Iger and his ilk "meddling" has lead to the MCU films and The Force Awakens, I can only hope they continue to "meddle" as they have done. Because they've been great.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Until you've walked even one-tenth the distance in anybody's shoes with clinical depression/bipolar disease, you have no idea how impossible it is to keep your weight down to a reasonable level while taking certain prescription drugs to treat it.

Why he weight is what it is... is completely irrelevant. She's an actress playing a role... not going on a Carrier Fisher tour.

So she added some weight... I don't care at all. She could be jabba the hut for all I care. But if the film calls for a certain look, and she wants the job, well that's what actors do.. they prepare both physically and mentally for the role. Having to lose weight or gain weight or whatever isn't even a topic of discussion... its normal business. But she and others have made it out to be something.. and drawn all this attention to it. Terms like 'body shaming' etc start getting thrown around, etc. Would people just learn to ignore stupid already???

VJ

My point is that Lucas comes off bitter and wronged, but the way I see it he chose his path. He chose to keep tweaking the original trilogy for more than a decade. He chose to not start new paths. He chose to sell off his company. He chose all of this.

And, as far as Modern Disney goes, what evidence is there that they interfered with Lucasfilm at all?
I know I'm a bit behind (slowly catching up) but this makes the most sense out of all posts relating to the Lucas incident in this thread that I've seen yet. He has not been wronged by Disney at all. He made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

BlueSkyDriveBy

But if the film calls for a certain look, and she wants the job, well that's what actors do.. they prepare both physically and mentally for the role. Having to lose weight or gain weight or whatever isn't even a topic of discussion... its normal business.
Where precisely in the script does it call for General Leia to be the same svelte bikini-clad princess we experienced in RotJ? I'm not getting this at all.

Why does it matter if General Leia isn't skinny? What does that have to do with anything?

And yes... it is body shaming. Absolutely. Carrie devotes several minutes of Wishful Drinking to the mythology around that bikini-clad image that fans (mostly males) expect her to adhere to for the rest of her life. Get real. She didn't sign any contract promising to remain skinny in perpetuity. That's the fans' problem. Not hers.

So stop with the "she should have lost weight to prepare for the role" nonsense. You and others are simply ticked off because she no longer looks like she did 40 years ago. :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where precisely in the script does it call for General Leia to be the same svelte bikini-clad princess we experienced in RotJ? I'm not getting this at all.

Nice hyperbole.. but the request probably comes from the same people who are setting what they want the characters to act like, look like, sound like, what their personalities are like, etc. She's playing a role.. not herself.

Why does it matter if General Leia isn't skinny? What does that have to do with anything?

Why not ask the people who created the character and setting she is in now? I'm not the director, writer, or producer. I'm also not the one who gave a flying $%@# beyond being tired of the whining about it all.

And yes... it is body shaming. Absolutely. Carrie devotes several minutes of Wishful Drinking to the mythology around that bikini-clad image that fans (mostly males) expect her to adhere to for the rest of her life. Get real. She didn't sign any contract promising to remain skinny in perpetuity. That's the fans' problem. Not hers.

Funny.. neither her nor the fans were the ones deciding how Leia should look in the films.. so again.. why are my or some fan's opinions being tied to her role?

I don't give a toot about what she looks like as Carrie Fisher... but if someone is on the screen as Princess Leia, there is a character with some premise established they should be compatible with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom