A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

I really can't understand how the same fans can with a straight face one day criticise Iger for not thinking about what Walt would have wanted, and playing it safe, not trying anything creative, then the next day criticise Lucas for wanting something a bit more experimental, less corporate, and not just blindly saying how amazing the movie is 'because it's Disney!'.
Anyone who thinks that about Lucas is deluded.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
You do know the Prequels had more miniatures and animatronics/puppets in a single film then the entire original trilogy combined right?
There's plenty of CG in them with creatures and droids, but environments were still easier to do as miniatures and matte paintings.

And the idea that George is entirely creatively bankrupt is bunk when you consider The Clone Wars. All the story ideas started with him and he actually had a strong creative team to develop them into excellent television much like how the Original Trilogy was created. George's outlines could easily have made for good films, but the acidic part of the fandom is so vocal Disney bolted fast from them and we got a loose ANH remake.

Show's all on Netflix. If you take out the imaginary oversized Jar Jar Binks action figure you keep claiming George shoved up your butt, you might actually enjoy it.

Few people will say Lucas isn't a great creative, the issue most have with him is that he doesn't take the time or make a full effort to create a good script and develop his ideas anymore. His stories and ideas are some of the best but his scripting is terrible.

TeriofTerror

Look, I might design and build a wonderful house, and decorate it in a way that I find pleasing and consistent with the overall look I envisioned in my design. But once I sell the house, I relinquish any say I had on how the house is decorated. Mr. Lucas no longer has any right to decide what curtains Disney chooses to hang.

NearTheEars

Happy 2016 to all the MAGICal folks here ... and those reading in the Twitverse and Celebration Place and Burbank and ... all points beyond.

I see it's become all Star Wars talk, all the time. I must wonder yet again how many Disney fans have become SW fans simply because its now a Bob Iger Joint. Yes, much like Marvel. And don't tell me about how popular SW has been, a tutorial on pop culture is one thing I don't need. I just see Disney fans who I KNOW who NEVER uttered a word about SW (one way or the other) for years who have been energized by this decent, but in no way special -- and quite derivative, film. Or its marketing.

For me, it was always a series from my childhood that had one excellent film and two good ones that were popcorn entertainment. I didn't really think much about them after that and I certainly didn't manically buy one special ed after another. I got a bit excited by the prequels until I saw the first, which is truly damn near unwatchable. I didn't rush to SWWs when they were held at TPFKaTD-MGMS so that I could wait in a line to hear some voice actor from a toon series talk ... or buy a $1000 Jedi Mickey figurine.

I looked forward to this film because I like J.J. Abrams and I wanted to see what he did with it. He made a pretty entertaining popcorn film that is no more great entertainment than Avatar or Titanic were despite big box office showings.

Now, we see George Lucas is unhappy with the direction that Disney took and he spoke honestly from the heart, which is why he had to walk back the comments because the truth is often not pretty and not what folks want to hear.

And, despite him being George Freaking Lucas he can't make words disappear (even his own) like Bob Iger can.

The thing is, George gave up control when he sold his babies to DIS for four billion dollars. They can and should be able to do whatever they want. And Bob Iger's Disney is very good at giving fans exactly what they want and not what they didn't even know they did. So much easier that way. Unless you think years of Frozen Summer Fun is as creatively daring as Mary Poppins, the Haunted Mansion or EPCOT.

But when fanbois turn around and attack George for being honest, I still have a problem with it. To me, it rings very much like the anti-Walt sentiment that is quite popular in fan circles today because Disney and The Weatherman most assuredly do not follow the mindset that created the MAGIC. It's like ''Eff George Lucas and Walt, I don't care about them. I care about BB-8 and Thor and Elsa and ... STAR WARS LAND!!! That is going to be soon awesome, doncha know. No one will be hanging at Diagon Alley in 4-5 years (at best) when it opens! UNI will be begging DIS to take the Marvel characters back so they can keep the lights on!!!''

If not for the incredible visionary and creative minds of George Lucas and Walt Disney, any and all of your points would be moot because none of this creative work would exist. Therefore, their ethos, their thoughts, their words should and DO carry weight. Even if you have seen TFA 18 times already and have told the world that it has changed your life.

I don't see what the big deal is about Disney fans becoming Star Wars fans. Is it really any different than a trusted friend convincing you to watch a film?

Many folks trust Disney to deliver entertainment to them, and now Disney is producing SW and Marvel content.

Are Disney fans supposed to just ignore it?

PhotoDave219

I don't see what the big deal is about Disney fans becoming Star Wars fans. Is it really any different than a trusted friend convincing you to watch a film?

Many folks trust Disney to deliver entertainment to them, and now Disney is producing SW and Marvel content.

Are Disney fans supposed to just ignore it?

I believe the reference is to Disney fans who believe the lastest thing The company does is "the best thing ever"

It's like supporting target or Walmart instead of going to your local record store or local farmers market.

BlueSkyDriveBy

I suspected foul play when Arndt left. Abrams strikes me as quite arrogant.
Hardly. JJ refusing to meet with the Pixar Brain Trust strikes me as prophetic.

You do realize which bodies are part of Pixar's Senior Creative team, right? Namely, the two responsible for the celluloid dreck known as John Carter: Mark Andrews and Andrew Stanton. Both of whom are difficult, arrogant filmmakers to work with. Just as my former Pixarian friends who left E-Ville for other studios, largely because of their crap.

JJ had a vision and went for it. He didn't need the, uh, assistance, of two filmmakers who couldn't make Edgar Rice Burroughs in Outer Space play as well in the 21st century as Lucas did in the 20th.

Goofyernmost

It seems to me that you folks are thinking that everyone gives a damn about who produced the latest edition of Star Wars. Hell, I could have produced it and it still would have been a hit. It's the story, and in this case, the inclusion of Ford and Fisher that really sparked the interest in seeing it and gave it a connection to the first one. This one had solid hit written all over it before one frame of film was shot.

All this crap about "because Disney did it" is just so much garbage. Most people couldn't care less who brought it to the screen, just that it was brought to the screen. I'd take a guess and say the the vast majority of those that spent all that money to see it probably didn't even know that Disney bought off Lucas for this property and they don't care. What they care about is that they got another "much needed fix" of Star Wars and connected it to their original addiction. Simple! This property has had a life of it's own since it's original introduction. And the best part is that I can clearly see this and I am not even a fan of Star Wars and have not seen this or any other Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Awful WFTV clickbait alert:
The headline on the Facebook post read "1 shot outside McDonalds near Disney World"
Now, if you read that, which McDonald's would you assume it was? Nope, not that one.
Instead it was 5 miles away in Four Corners.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/1-shot-outside-mcdonalds-near-disney-world/npwfT/

Well its like that sinkhole off 192 a few years back that Reuters called me for. The big deal was that its in the Disney area and tourist related and it swallowed a building.

In this case, yeah.... its kind of a stretch. Its in Lake County. Hell, I used to know the duty Sgt. for that sector, but she's since been promoted and moved up in the world.

As @Disneyhead'71 put it: WTFTV.

AEfx

I keep wondering when the fans are going to realize that Leia did nothing in this film. Not much different than the (allegedly) coked-out Leia from Jedi. Continuity, I guess?

I wouldn't say "nothing".

She brought the cavalry and saved the day in the middle of the film - although I would have much preferred she entered earlier as she was originally (hopefully those scenes will be on the Blu), in this case yes, she was largely used to give Harrison's part some weight. Now, knowing how the film ends, that makes absolute perfect sense. I think it's a bit more than "nothing" to bring some closure to one of the great screen romantic pairings.

What I don't think a lot of folks have figured out yet is that basically it looks as if each of the main trio is going to basically "star" in their own film. This film was Harrison's. Clearly, the next film is Hamill's. Based on the novelization, I'd say the "classic" spot in the final film belongs to Fisher. There is a deleted segment from TFA about why she herself isn't going to testify before the Galactic Senate - about the risk, the certainty that she wouldn't survive.

Chances are, things are going to get a lot more political before the end if this trilogy, and I think you'll see her being a bit more front and center once we get to that part of the trilogy.

In any case, even as someone who's primary reason for loving Star Wars is Carrie Fisher - I got to see Princess Leia on film once again, something for most of the past 30 years I have been told was impossible. I wanted much more, but I was satisfied with what was there.

As to ROTJ - let's see - she infiltrated Jabba's Palace, faced being a captured slave with grace and dignity, strategically waiting for her moment, when she then strangled the SOB without remorse using the same chain he imprisoned her with. Oh, and then she led the troops into battle on Endor, keeping fighting even after she was wounded.

True, she didn't have a lot of dialogue in ROTJ - but then again, no one much did. That seems to make it very convenient for folks to dismiss aspects. Coked out or not Fisher may have been, but Leia has always been a force to be reckoned with.

NearTheEars

Well its like that sinkhole off 192 a few years back that Reuters called me for. The big deal was that its in the Disney area and tourist related and it swallowed a building.

In this case, yeah.... its kind of a stretch. Its in Lake County. Hell, I used to know the duty Sgt. for that sector, but she's since been promoted and moved up in the world.

As @Disneyhead'71 put it: WTFTV.

Read that as it's in "Lake County Hell." I was almost offended, but then remembered we live in Sumter now.

Animaniac93-98

As to ROTJ - let's see - she infiltrated Jabba's Palace, faced being a captured slave with grace and dignity, strategically waiting for her moment, when she then strangled the SOB without remorse using the same chain he imprisoned her with. Oh, and then she led the troops into battle on Endor, keeping fighting even after she was wounded.

AKA, "nothing". ;)

TalkingHead

I wouldn't say "nothing".

She brought the cavalry and saved the day in the middle of the film - although I would have much preferred she entered earlier as she was originally (hopefully those scenes will be on the Blu), in this case yes, she was largely used to give Harrison's part some weight. Now, knowing how the film ends, that makes absolute perfect sense. I think it's a bit more than "nothing" to bring some closure to one of the great screen romantic pairings.

What I don't think a lot of folks have figured out yet is that basically it looks as if each of the main trio is going to basically "star" in their own film. This film was Harrison's. Clearly, the next film is Hamill's. Based on the novelization, I'd say the "classic" spot in the final film belongs to Fisher. There is a deleted segment from TFA about why she herself isn't going to testify before the Galactic Senate - about the risk, the certainty that she wouldn't survive.

Chances are, things are going to get a lot more political before the end if this trilogy, and I think you'll see her being a bit more front and center once we get to that part of the trilogy.

In any case, even as someone who's primary reason for loving Star Wars is Carrie Fisher - I got to see Princess Leia on film once again, something for most of the past 30 years I have been told was impossible. I wanted much more, but I was satisfied with what was there.

True, she didn't have a lot of dialogue in ROTJ - but then again, no one much did. That seems to make it very convenient for folks to dismiss aspects. Coked out or not Fisher may have been, but Leia has always been a force to be reckoned with.

I was being generous; she does less than she did in Jedi. She does nothing in the new film. The feisty character who was engaging in the first two films is completely gone. She's static window dressing for the nostalgia show, plain and simple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom