A Spirited Perfect Ten

ParentsOf4

From what I'm reading they reported Capital Expenditures of 37 Billion Yen in the last fiscal year. That was after years of investing in the 20-30 Billion Yen Range. According to their annual report, they're committing to spend 500 Billion Yen over the next ten years or on average 50 Billion Yen a year.

Compare that to domestic P&R CAPEX that in the most recent fiscal year stood at 1,457,000,000. Assuming that Domestic Investment stayed relatively constant for the next ten years you'd arrive at 14,570,000,000 in domestic CAPEX. That's actually fairly close to the number you calculated using the Tokyo Revenue numbers. Seeing as Disney should be keeping spending levels high because of DHS, Disneyland Downtown Disney redo, the new Disneyland Parking Structure, and whole bunch of other projects it's reasonable to expect these higher CAPEX numbers longterm.
Please bear in mind that capital expenditure does not equate to what the average amusement park goer would consider "improvements". For theme parks, most capex usually is spent on long-term maintenance. To understand how much is being spent on what fans would consider actual improvements, the numbers need to be examined more closely.

From FY2010 to FY2014, OLC averaged about ¥23.9B annually in what was mostly maintenance. With inflation, that might be between ¥250B to ¥300B over 10 years. This is fairly consistent with OLC's stated investment goals:
  • ¥100B for "Investment in Backstage"
  • ¥150B for "Investment for renewal and improvement"
  • ¥250B for "Investment for enhancing value" where OLC defines "enhanc[ing] theme park value" as "introduc[ing] new products"
Using these numbers, about half of OLC's announced ¥500B "investment" or the equivalent of about $2.1B is what could be considered new attractions and experiences. Roughly, OLC has announced expenditures of a bit over $1B per theme park for improvements, on scale with what Disney did with DCA and considerably more than what Universal spent for both WWOHP lands combined.

Cars Land and the 2 WWOHPs were both wildly popular so fans of Tokyo Disneyland should have something to be excited about. :)

Looking at it from a WDW and DLR perspective, it would be the equivalent of Disney spending roughly $6.3B in actual theme park improvements across its 6 domestic theme parks. That would be exciting! :)

Now let's consider the $1.457B you mentioned in domestic Parks & Resorts capex.

What you have to recall is what former CFO Jay Rasulo said about capex during the November 11, 2011 earnings call:

Let me start with your CapEx question, and this is one that I get asked often and I will try to give you some perspective on it. Five years ago or so we used to be pretty demonstrative about $1 billion number being an ongoing level without special projects added to it.

You have to remember though that in those five years in the capital projects that we have put in the ground, which each have their own growth strategy, each is filling in different parts of the portfolio, when they are back on board they all need ongoing FF&E and maintenance capital to keep them going.

So I would say that that $1 billion number is low.​

In other words, Rasulo was stating that $1B was what was needed "Five years ago or so" and was low for domestic/international Parks & Resorts maintenance capex in 2011. This lines up pretty well with what Disney spent in P&R capex in 2006/2007, almost exactly $1.0B on average for the 2 years. Depreciation for those 2 years averaged slightly under $1.1B so, in 2006/2007, Disney had to spend roughly the equivalent of depreciation on maintenance capex.

Many fans of WDW complained it wasn't enough, that there was a noticeable decline in WDW quality during those years. I can tell you that the first time Disney ever spent less than 15% above depreciation was in 2002 when the travel industry was coming off the rails. Still, let's use depreciation as a good approximation of what should be spent on maintenance capex in order to preserve the Disney standard of excellence.

Fast-forward to FY2015.

Domestic Parks & Resorts depreciation was $1.169B. So that $1.457B number you mention sure sounds nice until you subtract off depreciation and then spread it out across 6 theme parks, 2 water parks, multiple hotels, 4 cruise ships, yet another DVC and, of course, Disney Springs.

When you do that, Disney's "investment" in its domestic facilities gets spread pretty thin. ;)

The reality is that there will be a major uptick in spending at Disney's domestic theme parks in the near future, something for all fans of WDW and DLR to be really excited about. :)

Last edited:

FrankLapidus

Great interview with Charlie Rose and George Lucas. Rather long but a great interview. Its worth the time for all you SW geeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-lucas-says-sold-star-wars-white-slavers-213813307.html

Interesting and just makes me glad that he sold when he did.

I like George Lucas, I love what he created, but I really can't bring myself to feel sorry that he isn't involved in Star Wars any longer. He'd gone into semi-retirement, sworn off ever making another Star Wars film again, sold his company for $4 billion and then expected the new owner to make the films that he wanted them to make?

And he compares selling a film franchise for that amount of money to giving your child away to slavery? I get what he's trying to convey, what the films mean to him personally and how difficult it is to let them go, but I think that's just an idiotic way to convey such a sentiment.

This stood out for me:

“They wanted to do a retro movie. I don’t like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, make it new,”

All of that is very easy to do when you have your actors stand in front of a green screen for hours on end and act against thin air with minimal direction. He might not like the "retro" style of The Force Awakens but I, and I think many others, would take that style every day of the week over what Lucas chose to do in the prequels, particuarly Episodes 2 and 3. He calls it "retro" but does he even realise that that style of filmmaking (practical effects, puppetry and models, actual sets) is a big reason why so many fans love the original trilogy?

I wouldn't expect him to care, nor do I necessarily think he should, but even ten years after Revenge of the Sith was released I still don't think Lucas understands why people became frustrated and disillusioned with the choices he made in writing and directing the prequels as well as the tinkering he did with the original films. Its his right as a film-maker to make the films he wants to make and choose how to make them, and it is impossible to please every one, but I'd personally much prefer what he dismisses as "retro" to the over-reliance on soulless green screen and CGI that he later embraced, in my view, to the detriment of his films.

Am I surprised that he has grievances and is airing them? No. Am I in any way sorry that Disney haven't used his ideas? Absolutely not.

As a Star Wars fan I'm grateful for what he started but I really do think the franchise is in better hands now.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

A couple of people have said something like this, but I'm not sure I understand or agree. How is Star Wars going into a "dead end" in DL? If anything, it's actually addressing that issue of the park layout by getting rid of a dead end. The land will have 2 entrances at opposite sides of the land which should work well for guest flow. There's the possibility of a third entrance as well -- it's not clear to me if it would be accessible from around the Fantasyland Theater, but if not I fully expect that they will connect FL and SWL in the future when Toontown gets replaced with a FL expansion.

I don't disagree that the land would potentially be congested, but that would probably be true regardless of where it is placed.

To address the Star Wars/Disneyland issues, seems like the easiest thing to do is to put it in DCA.

My guess is the people making the decisions are not grand visionaries.

PhotoDave219

And even then it would feel forced over there.

I think all the closings at Disneyland totally suck. There has to be a way to keep a large amount of that area and have Star Wars at the same time.

However every side is just being righteously indignant and unwilling to attempt to have a rational discussion.

There is no reason whatsoever to get righteously Indignant about these sorts of things. They will quickly get the people you are trying to convince to dismiss you.

DDLand

The reality is that there will be a major uptick in spending at Disney's domestic theme parks in the near future, something for all fans of WDW and DLR to be really excited about. :)
I think this hits the nail on the head. Actually the same could be said of both domestic and Tokyo. The cash is forthcoming. They're both on their way. Which is actually pretty exciting. After years of relative complacency, both of them have to be taking note of what Universal has been accomplishing in their respective markets.

Using these numbers, about half of OLC's announced ¥500B "investment" or the equivalent of about $2.1B is what could be considered new attractions and experiences. Roughly, OLC has announced expenditures of a bit over $1B per theme park for improvements, on scale with what Disney did with DCA and considerably more than what Universal spent for both WWOHP lands combined. Looking at it from a WDW and DLR perspective, it would be the equivalent of Disney spending roughly $6.3B in actual theme park improvementsacross its 6 domestic theme parks. That would be exciting!
This above is a key insight, and a good barometer for judging Disney's investments in their domestic operations. Currently Disney has a 5 year plan that will see them spending north of 3 billion dollars at WDW, and a separate commitment to spend over a billion at Disneyland Resort by 2023. Depending on what happens with these expansions, I wouldn't be shocked if they actually did reach that 6 Billion number over the next ten years or so. Which goes back to what you said above. Domestic fans have a lot to be excited about!

Assuming nothing gets cancelled or downsized.... ;)

AEfx

Minor spoiler alert...

I couldn't disagree more.
For me, Kylo was by far the worst part of the film, specifically when he took his mask off. With the mask, he was intimidating, without it, he was anything but. He's not the worst Disney villain by any means (in recent memory I'd give that to Blackbeard), but right now I don't think he's strong at all. I think that could change with additional character development in Episode 8 and 9 (I'm operating under the assumption he's still alive).

I think that interpretation of him will soften, as you predict, with Episode 8 and 9, and it becomes more apparent exactly what they did with him here. And what they did is take the Darth Vader concept, fixed it up, and presented it the way it should have been - the way they handled Kylo Ren was the biggest middle-finger to the prequels they did in the entire film, and we should be cheering about it. Particularly those that can't get past the "A New Hope 2.0" stuff - if you recall, Vader was rather upper management in that film, not some supreme villain.

Basically, Kylo Ren in this film is equivalent to Anakin in Episode III. He had not fully fallen to the dark side yet, and his killing of Han was the equivalent to Anakin murdering the younglings - his final step to the dark side. However, in this case, they didn't force us to sit through 2 films worth of "What a sweet young boy Ben was!" or "Wow, Ben is turning into a bratty teenager out of control, let's send him off..." It was far more logical and satisfying, and now we have a real reason for him to be a bad- in the next two films.

And that's coming from someone who isn't particularly a fan of the whole Sith business to begin with, nor Kylo Ren - but what they did with him was just brilliant once you realize what they did there...

AEfx

I cannot take credit for this statement, pulled it from some random comment on an article that I was reading, but this just about sums up how I feel about Lucas and his "Star Wars films are my Children" unapologetic apology tour:

"If George Lucas is the parent and Star Wars is his kid, then J.J. Abrams and Disney are Child Protective Services."

AEfx

I see Lucas is now getting all snarky since TFA has come out and made a billion dollars.

The snark has been at a slow creep for awhile now, but with TFA poised to be the biggest film of all time (and likely will keep that title for the foreseeable future) - it certainly has amped up. It's not surprising that someone with as few social skills as Lucas has doesn't understand that his statements (after taking $4B to let it all go) are just going to mar his own reputation further, but one would think just by sake of being alive as long as he has that he'd just know better, even if he didn't emotionally understand it.

mickEblu

To address the Star Wars/Disneyland issues, seems like the easiest thing to do is to put it in DCA.

My guess is the people making the decisions are not grand visionaries.

I wish they would have put SWL in DCA too but where is the room? The Marvel expansion pad area doesn't seem very big. My vote was always for the Simba lot which could have been connected to DCA by bridge or tunnel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom