A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

Jim's not some guy who was the victim of a broken justice system. Jim's a repeat offender whose crimes occurred on Disney property. Jim plead down those charges, so what he actually did is worse than what the record suggests. Jim is not an individual who should be forgiven so easily.
Just because you did not know about it doesn't mean everyone else is going to look to exaggerate and make it out as though it happened last week.

A tad overzealous perhaps, but an interesting discussion.
It isn't an interesting discussion. It's been had many times before and never went anywhere.

indyumd

People here are so clueless about social media and its value to companies. Its amuses me that people simultaneously complain about how horrible the parks are being treated, talk about how Disney is pricing out the middle class and then denigrate Disney's social media and marketing efforts. All as the parks are more crowded than ever.

The idea that
Disney should either put out its own marketing campaigns or do nothing. But pretending that these social media pundits are not connected to TWDC in any way, shape, or form is dishonest. These online articles and blog entries are not simply "unsolicited commentary" to which Disney is oblivious. There is a quid pro quo relationship with these social media pundits, which is no different than if those pundits were on Disney's payroll.

is so out-of-touch.
Yes, Disney provides access to bloggers and social media influencers for favorable coverage! Just like every other organization.

NearTheEars

It certainly wasn't intended to be a "Gotcha!" post. I tried to keep everything couched in a pertinent discussion about Disney and it relationship with certain Social Media personalities. But, hey...I'm no journalist. No professional writer. I tend to just dump information and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't think that was your intention completely, just kinda came off that way IMO.

Cesar R M

I agree. One thing that kind of baffles me, if this issue here was a "skeleton in the closet", it makes me wonder what other skeletons are in other people's closets. Obviously the new shiny world of social media marketing (which does not only involve Disney bloggers, but also youtube "personalities" and such) was so attractive that no one ever started to think about with whom they went into bed with...

There are actually some people out there who instead of hiding those skeletons and then wondering when they will finally be found out, actually addressed the issue. For example Pete Werner from the DIS is very open about the fact that he is a recovering alcoholic. I am not saying that everyone should post about what bad things they have done in their lives, but if someone makes their name their brand as an commentator on a certain topic, their credibility kind of depends on their person. And skeletons really don't help credibility.
Honestly, I instantly think of Brian Singer and his pedo parties when they mention "skeletons in the closet".
I think the @WDW1974 already talked about this before.

Cesar R M

If you choose to believe there are no shop lifters, drunk drivers, people who have been involved in civil disobedience, or people who got arrested for possession of weed on these boards.... well you are free to do so.

But I guarantee there are... as well as people who have committed far more serious crimes.
christ.. considering your statistics.. I'm a model citizen then.

Cesar R M

Wow...are you Prosecutor for the State or something?

He is not on trial here.
"shut up judge!"
Yxy8T.png

Right is right

Wrong is wrong

You break the law ...you are a criminal

It's all black and white.There is no gray area as far as the law is concerned.
tell that to politicians..
I bet they will have a great laugh at your expenses.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This isn't the first time this "issue" has been drummed up. Despite always being "really important" and on the verge of being "a huge story" it has never gone anywhere. Nobody cares about this "bigger issue" because it has been beaten to death, thus the need to dig up two decade old news regarding someone who should have been an easy target.

I think its more about exposing the underside...

Disney projects this pristine, flawless image... and here are all the 'web favorites' giving commentary and reviews about just how awesome it all is. It's a great harmonic image...

But behind the curtain, we know that image is manufactured and manipulated... so it's credibility should be of suspect. But the vast majority have no idea that such unscrupolous stuff is happening. I think its more about 'the dirty truth' so people realize exactly what they are working with.. vs the innocents that suck it up and know no different.

Andrew_Ryan

So it doesn't bother anyone else that young, immature cast members are denied any kind of future with Disney after they've been caught shoplifting a $10 souvenir, even decades later? But someone like Hill can engage in fraud against TWDC multiple times and be rewarded as an officially blessed blogger?

Another shining example of the social media brothel residing inside Disney that can do no wrong.

It bothers me.

I want people who have paid their dues to society be forgiven across the board, when it is reasonable. I think the fact that there is an unethical inconsistency in the way Disney forgives employees' criminal records is a bigger issue that actually makes the situation we are talking about worth discussing. It is too bad we didn't start the discussion with that angle, because it would have made the information being shared about Mr. Hill feel less like random gossip.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Six minutes into the Snow White documentary on ABC is infinitely better and more accurate than the PBS doc.

Bonus points for having Snow White authority JB Kaufman as the lead talking head! No Neal Gabler!
AHHH forgot about that!!! didn't set the DVR either :( Isnt there one for Marry Poppins soon?
Edit: Just found out that was last night :arghh:

lazyboy97o

Honestly, I instantly think of Brian Singer and his pedo parties when they mention "skeletons in the closet".
I think the @WDW1974 already talked about this before.
Those were "inside jokes."

I think its more about exposing the underside...

Disney projects this pristine, flawless image... and here are all the 'web favorites' giving commentary and reviews about just how awesome it all is. It's a great harmonic image...

But behind the curtain, we know that image is manufactured and manipulated... so it's credibility should be of suspect. But the vast majority have no idea that such unscrupolous stuff is happening. I think its more about 'the dirty truth' so people realize exactly what they are working with.. vs the innocents that suck it up and know no different.
The nastiness amongst the personalities isn't unknown by anyone reading this thread. There have been lots of empty hypotheticals over the years regarding one of these personalities doing something awful. There were attempts to get people riled up over Lou Mongello's continued unknown involvement with his law firm. Ricky Brigante's divorce was unsuccessfully brought up a few months ago. Now it's Jim Hill. At this point it's more a pattern of just attacking people over their willingness to be part of Disney's hype machine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom