A Spirited Perfect Ten

matt9112

To folks like Len Testa at Unofficial Guide/Touring Plans, Jeremy Epstein at D23, and whoever Jim reports to at HuffPo, this is not a laughing matter. The questions I posed to Jim are important because as much as it is important to forgive people for past misdeeds, lying or not being forthright to your employers, especially when said incidents involve the company which Jim covers for them, cannot be absolved so easily. Jim didn't need to confirm what Lee put out because we have the Orange County arrest records. However the central question, one which is in some ways bigger than Jim's past misdeeds, remains; does Disney vet the individuals in Social Media whom they give a great deal of access and generous perks to, from Lou, Ricky and Jim on down to the mommy bloggers, any meaningful amout of scrutiny?

huff post is the biggest pile of garbage journalism next to the new york times....you think they have standards?\\edit: of course this is an opinion.

Last edited:

matt9112

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, word around the investor campfire is Disney is banking huge on Shanghai DL, so much so they feel that in time revenue generated will help offset ESPN losses short term while they figure out a long term ESPN solution. The biggest ace in the deck and one they throw in investors faces is the fact Shanghai has the entire population of the United States within 2-3 hours away from the new nirvana. How to get them there beyond just being Disney will of course be the trick. One thing is for certain, if ESPN keeps bleeding without a solution, look for Disney to ramp up the parks. Its the only logical solution.

you do know that china's middle class just got melted? what are they going to give tickets away for free?

matt9112

I'm disturbed by your lumping together people getting arrested from a protest over climate change with people arrested on drug charges.

Have you no decency.....really?

well....if you want the real meat....drugs shouldn't be a criminal offence however kicking in the door of the wrong home with a swat team and killing innocent people because an informant pointed to that house is just....business. (happens all the time)

not to mention all the money in the prison system all those jobs....contracts...

TeriofTerror

Yes, I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was horrible, and getting out was beyond awful. The stories I could tell.
Jim's not some guy who was the victim of a broken justice system. Jim's a repeat offender whose crimes occurred on Disney property. Jim plead down those charges, so what he actually did is worse than what the record suggests. Jim is not an individual who should be forgiven so easily.
I think I'll decide for myself who I can forgive. For example, I'll go to my grave despising Art Modell. Jim Hill , however, never actually did anything to me, so there's nothing for me to forgive. I can just empathize and file it under "not really any of my business".

matt9112

Yes, I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was horrible, and getting out was beyond awful. The stories I could tell.

I think I'll decide for myself who I can forgive. For example, I'll go to my grave despising Art Modell. Jim Hill , however, never actually did anything to me, so there's nothing for me to forgive. I can just empathize and file it under "not really any of my business".

god they are annoying....worked with a guy who was one...nice guy but the basic run down i figured was that to please god you need to get as filthy rich and awful on earth....than god will be happy.

glad you are ok though.

BlueSkyDriveBy

This is really none of anybody's business. Unless you work for Disney HR then what you guys are on a witch hunt about is none of your business.

Why are you guys hell bent on getting him fired from all of his current gigs?

Lets dig up some dirt on each and every one of you shall we?

This whole thread needs to be shut down as it is nothing more than vindictive witch hunting.
If you wish to dig up dirt on me, feel free. I've never been arrested for anything in my life. Not even for the illegal logging protests during my college days in the Pacific Northwest.

And I find your use of the term, "vindictive witch hunting" to be over the top. Folks who deliberately put themselves in the public eye in order to promote their professional careers are fair game. Jim Hill and other social media pundits like him are engaged in their online behavior not as simple amateur fan boys but as professionals. They are writing about Disney's business endeavors and consumer products and services for monetary gain, be it limited edition merchandise, park passes, or special invites to exclusive events. There is a quid pro quo to this activity, and that's what's being called into question here.

What he actually did is not the issue. The fact that his behavior directly involved Disney is the issue, given that he now enjoys a cozy social media relationship with them as if nothing ever happened. That's what I have a problem with.

Young cast members who are caught stealing Disney property and subsequently terminated are rarely rehired, even after several decades. I met someone who unfortunately had this experience in his late teens before growing up and getting his act together. Two college degrees later with no further involvements with the law didn't matter. Disney changed their mind and rescinded the offer for a management position when the prior termination came to light.

I guess it's all about how valuable the social media pundits like Hill are to Disney, and nothing more. Which, in and of itself, is ethically questionable. Disney should either put out its own marketing campaigns or do nothing. But pretending that these social media pundits are not connected to TWDC in any way, shape, or form is dishonest. These online articles and blog entries are not simply "unsolicited commentary" to which Disney is oblivious. There is a quid pro quo relationship with these social media pundits, which is no different than if those pundits were on Disney's payroll.

For that reason, there shouldn't be any special treatment for them over the young terminated cast members who aren't given second chances, many years later.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you wish to dig up dirt on me, feel free. I've never been arrested for anything in my life. Not even for the illegal logging protests during my college days in the Pacific Northwest.

And I find your use of the term, "vindictive witch hunting" to be over the top. Folks who deliberately put themselves in the public eye in order to promote their professional careers are fair game. Jim Hill and other social media pundits like him are engaged in their online behavior not as simple amateur fan boys but as professionals. They are writing about Disney's business endeavors and consumer products and services for monetary gain, be it limited edition merchandise, park passes, or special invites to exclusive events. There is a quid pro quo to this activity, and that's what's being called into question here.

What he actually did is not the issue. The fact that his behavior directly involved Disney is the issue, given that he now enjoys a cozy social media relationship with them as if nothing ever happened. That's what I have a problem with.

Young cast members who are caught stealing Disney property and subsequently terminated are rarely rehired, even after several decades. I met someone who unfortunately had this experience in his late teens before growing up and getting his act together. Two college degrees later with no further involvements with the law didn't matter. Disney changed their mind and rescinded the offer for a management position when the prior termination came to light.

I guess it's all about how valuable the social media pundits like Hill are to Disney, and nothing more. Which, in and of itself, is ethically questionable. Disney should either put out its own marketing campaigns or do nothing. But pretending that these social media pundits are not connected to TWDC in any way, shape, or form is dishonest. These online articles and blog entries are not simply "unsolicited commentary" to which Disney is oblivious. There is a quid pro quo relationship with these social media pundits, which is no different than if those pundits were on Disney's payroll.

For that reason, there shouldn't be any special treatment for them over the young terminated cast members who aren't given second chances, many years later.
It so nice that you are above the law and can't be arrested for anything. Good luck with that in the future.

And no, I'm certainly not going to waste my time in trying to dig up dirt on someone that had absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever. What a waste of time and exercise in futility.

Now back to your witch hunting. You do know that you simply can not read what Jim Hill has to say if he bothers you that much.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Jim's not some guy who was the victim of a broken justice system. Jim's a repeat offender whose crimes occurred on Disney property. Jim plead down those charges, so what he actually did is worse than what the record suggests. Jim is not an individual who should be forgiven so easily.
I don't give a crap about Jim Hill. My comments a directed to the topic of law breaking. He broke the law, yes. He was penalized. What Disney has decided to do or not do in the years since really is moot. I'm staying out of the portion of the conversation around the obvious disagreement with Disney's social media philosophy. I was just trying to correct a misstatement about the law in general.

BrianLo

I'm embarrassed by some of the comments being left in this thread.

Of course @Lee was attempting to make a statement about modern social media practices and whether companies should be running a criminal record check (+vulnerable sector) on every single mommy blogger. Obviously he didn't stick that landing very well. A tad overzealous perhaps, but an interesting discussion. Do they require a criminal record check on every CM? I kind of doubt it, but apparently that's what people expect Disney to do now for the mommy bloggers with 100 views or to get a quote on the back of a DVD.

But typically the lackeys have run away with a vindictive smear campaign against a single individual, which is really sad. Get a grip people, you've more than had your pound of flesh already.

Kudos to Jim who ironically took the moral high-ground with a poignant and heartfelt response.

BlueSkyDriveBy

So it doesn't bother anyone else that young, immature cast members are denied any kind of future with Disney after they've been caught shoplifting a $10 souvenir, even decades later? But someone like Hill can engage in fraud against TWDC multiple times and be rewarded as an officially blessed blogger?

Another shining example of the social media brothel residing inside Disney that can do no wrong.

PhotoDave219

So it doesn't bother anyone else that young, immature cast members are denied any kind of future with Disney after they've been caught shoplifting a $10 souvenir, even decades later? But someone like Hill can engage in fraud against TWDC multiple times and be rewarded as an officially blessed blogger?

Another shining example of the social media brothel residing inside Disney that can do no wrong.

Does it bother me? Yes.

Do I think what Disney does is inconsistent? Yes.

Does what Jim did 20 years ago (let alone yesterday) mean anything to me? Nope.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's really none of my business.

NearTheEars

I must have missed this whole time that you are possibly from Ohio. Anyway, Go Browns!

Nmoody1

Wow... This kind of public shaming by anonymous people on a discussion forum really isn't nice... It doesn't make this thread appealing in any way.... I don't think any names should have been put out there.

Whether the info is out there or not, did it really need to be put out there... And why should anyone have to explain themselves to faceless forum posters.

Gosh, is this what happens when there are no park rumours? It resorts to this.

Lee

Adventurer
Hill is a credentialed journalist at a legitimate media outlet. He had a 6 month trespass that expired 19.5 years ago. Hill now has a site and blog that are some of the most popular in the community. I feel safe in saying that at this point, Hill is helping Disney far more than he is hurting Disney.
I would agree to some point. If Jim were just an independent blogger, pecking away up in New Hampshire with no "sanction" from Disney this would not even be an issue.

But when he is on panels at D23, invited to junkets, quoted on DVDs etc....it's a different matter.

Beautiful post. You said it perfectly. What he did is not the issue. Who he did it to most certainly is.

And the apparent double standard with Disney is mindboggling. Again I wonder, do the different arms of the company communicate at all? Did Celebration Place know, and if they did...what did they think? Did they just shrug it off and say, "Hey...he'll get website hits for us."

Do they require a criminal record check on every CM? I kind of doubt it, but apparently that's what people expect Disney to do now for the mommy bloggers with 100 views or to get a quote on the back of a DVD.
Apples to oranges. Yes, they do background checks and those checks can and often do prevent people from being hired.

But in this case, a background check wasn't even necessary. He didn't swipe some jerky from a 7-11...he stole from and committed fraud against Disney, the very company that he makes his living covering and that seemingly welcomes him with open arms. That should have resulted in some sort of "red flag" being placed in a file somewhere, don't you think? I assure, if I stole something from Wal Mart back in the 90s, I certainly wouldn't expect them to have me standing next to Craig Robinson in the commercials.

Absolutely. Excellent point which, along with some others, will likely be overlooked by people who are feeling sorry for Jim and not looking at the big picture.

NearTheEars

I'm embarrassed by some of the comments being left in this thread.

Of course @Lee was attempting to make a statement about modern social media practices and whether companies should be running a criminal record check (+vulnerable sector) on every single mommy blogger. Obviously he didn't stick that landing very well. A tad overzealous perhaps, but an interesting discussion. Do they require a criminal record check on every CM? I kind of doubt it, but apparently that's what people expect Disney to do now for the mommy bloggers with 100 views or to get a quote on the back of a DVD.

But typically the lackeys have run away with a vindictive smear campaign against a single individual, which is really sad. Get a grip people, you've more than had your pound of flesh already.

Kudos to Jim who ironically took the moral high-ground with a poignant and heartfelt response.

I think if @Lee's first post on the matter didn't have that "Gotch! Jim Hill" tone or feeling to it (in my opinion) it wouldn't have set off what's occurred over the past few pages. I think it's just the way the information was delivered.

And unfortunately, that has clouded what he has tried to say was his point of bringing it to our attention in the first place.

Lee

Adventurer
I think if @Lee's first post on the matter didn't have that "Gotch! Jim Hill" tone or feeling to it (in my opinion) it wouldn't have set off what's occurred over the past few pages. I think it's just the way the information was delivered.

And unfortunately, that has clouded what he has tried to say was his point of bringing it to our attention in the first place.
It certainly wasn't intended to be a "Gotcha!" post. I tried to keep everything couched in a pertinent discussion about Disney and it relationship with certain Social Media personalities. But, hey...I'm no journalist. No professional writer. I tend to just dump information and let the chips fall where they may.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom